Episode 309

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
It's some crazy shit! The captain certainly looks... different. :zodd:

I knew he'd be back, and looking better than ever! :carcus: :rakshas:

I'm also happy to see he apparently hasn't lost any personality, and Guts looks game, of course. :guts:

Aazealh said:
Check out those monsters. :magni:

It's the fucking hive mind!

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Well I guess that now the captain could manage better a new clash against Roderik. :void:

Then as Griff said, Guts looks quite better and ready for the action. I wonder if those weird monsters are the captain's crew. :???:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Marik said:
Guts looks quite better and ready for the action. I wonder if those weird monsters are the captain's crew. :???:

I wonder myself what exactly is going on there, like is the Cap'in himself a part of that monster? What we can see of his torso looks different from his clothes before, and similar to the texture of that hideous creature, so perhaps he's at the head of one of those bizarre appendages? Could go either way from what I see, or don't see.

Personally, I'd like if it's just a similar motif, as I wouldn't mind watching him jump around some more. :ganishka:

Daijyashin

グリフィス said:
I wonder myself what exactly is going on there, like is the Cap'in himself a part of that monster? What we can see of his torso looks different from his clothes before, and similar to the texture of that hideous creature, so perhaps he's at the head of one of those bizarre appendages? Could go either way from what I see, or don't see.

Yeah, indeed. We still don't know what had happened on him clearly. It could be as you said. :isidro:

グリフィス said:
Personally, I'd be satisfied if it's just a similar motif, as I wouldn't mind watching him jump around some more. :ganishka:

Haha :guts: Yes, it's better with his knife leg prothesis!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
I wonder myself what exactly is going on there, like is the Cap'in himself a part of that monster? What we can see of his torso looks different from his clothes before, and similar to the texture of that hideous creature, so perhaps he's at the head of one of those bizarre appendages?

Precisely what I was wondering myself when I first saw it. He doesn't really look like a typical possessed or undead (although he very politely introduces himself as a "bearded skeleton"), and from the last panels, he and the creatures seem to be related. Specifically, Guts mentions something about eating, and the boss says a ghostly deformation of "itadakimasu" (a Japanese sentence uttered at the beginning of a meal), on the panel where we see a close-up of his face on the right and the creatures on the left. Makes me wonder if the boss and the creatures aren't just "appendages" of the ghost ship.

PS: Oh and it looks like Isidro finally got some of what he's always wanted... But not in the way he expected. :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Precisely what I was wondering myself when I first saw it. He doesn't really look like a typical possessed or undead (although he very politely introduces himself as a "bearded skeleton"), and from the last panels, he and the creatures seem to be related. ... Makes me wonder if the boss and the creatures aren't just "appendages" of the ghost ship.
I believe the crew and the boss have become assimilated as one big octopus/squid/sea creature. The crew look like squid tentacles, and the boss' eye is very reminicent of an octopus'. (click)

Poor captain... what a way to go... :sad:

PS: Oh and it looks like Isidro finally got some of what he's always wanted... But not in the way he expected. :troll:
Yeah man. True love! This is their first embrace! :casca:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
I believe the crew and the boss have become assimilated as one big octopus/squid/sea creature. The crew look like squid tentacles, and the boss' eye is very reminicent of an octopus'.

This might also explain how they caught up so fast even with a time lapse. A giant monster squid could be fast in these waters.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I believe the crew and the boss have become assimilated as one big octopus/squid/sea creature. The crew look like squid tentacles, and the boss' eye is very reminicent of an octopus'. (click)

I don't think the eye is a strong clue, since many animals have eyes that look like this (goats for example). The tentacles do hint at a large sea creature though. I really wonder how they relate to what we saw of the ship in the previous episode.

Walter said:
Yeah man. True love! This is their first embrace! :casca:

Proceeding as planned. :void:

Love_Blooms.jpg

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
I really wonder how they relate to what we saw of the ship in the previous episode.

I just took a quick look at episode 308 and on page 5-6 we can see the shape of what the pirate turned into.. Now what I'm wondering is, was it ghost that transformed them, or was it already some monster tentacles that just ate the crew and somehow left the captain?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
This might also explain how they caught up so fast even with a time lapse. A giant monster squid could be fast in these waters.
Well, I thought that at first too, but as Aaz pointed out to me, we see the ship underwater in ep 308 (next-to-last page). So I don't think it's something like a squid pushing the boat around.

Aazealh said:
I don't think the eye is a strong clue, since many animals have eyes that look like this (goats for example).
Seeing as this is a sea-themed creature though, and with the presence of tentacles, Im going with it being an octopus eye. But really, it's as you say. :farnese: I even found a picture of a horse with that eye :guts:

The tentacles do hint at a large sea creature though. I really wonder how they relate to what we saw of the ship in the previous episode.
Yeah it's pretty strange. The ghosts that possessed the crew are definitely exhibiting some unique features.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
Well, I thought that at first too, but as Aaz pointed out to me, we see the ship underwater in ep 308 (next-to-last page). So I don't think it's something like a squid pushing the boat around.

Could it be possible that the ship travelled underwater from all that way?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
I just took a quick look at episode 308 and on page 5-6 we can see the shape of what the pirate turned into.. Now what I'm wondering is, was it ghost that transformed them, or was it already some monster tentacles that just ate the crew and somehow left the captain?

You're almost contradicting yourself in one sentence here. We see ghosts and their shape a bit similar to that of the tentacle-like creatures, but that doesn't tell us exactly what happened. Besides like Walter mentioned, there's the picture of the ship underwater we see at the end of episode 308, and no crazy monster can be seen there.

jackson_hurley said:
Could it be possible that the ship travelled underwater from all that way?

I don't really think so to be honest. The ship's a ruin and I imagine it would have broken apart if it had been moving underwater quickly.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
It's some crazy shit! The captain certainly looks... different. :zodd: Look at those monsters. :magni:

Nice! Glad to see he's still...um...alive? As far as his eye is concerned, it looks just like Farnese's eyes when she's possessed in Vol. 17 (which I read last night, so it's fresh in my mind), as well as others who have been possessed.

Aazealh said:
The bad news: there'll be a break in the next issue.

Hopefully, it's a short one. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
As far as his eye is concerned, it looks just like Farnese's eyes when she's possessed in Vol. 17 (which I read last night, so it's fresh in my mind), as well as others who have been possessed.

Yeah, nothing too specific.

Rhombaad said:
Hopefully, it's a short one. :serpico:

No date announced, unfortunately. Let's just hope.

Guts is not impressed. :guts:

And is it me or is there a hole at the back of the ship? That could be the beginning of an explanation for its fast travel.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Guts is awesome :guts:

I can see the next stage of this battle being when the ship explodes into splinters and reveals its full monstrous form. :magni:

Aazealh said:
And is it me or is there a hole at the back of the ship? That could be the beginning of an explanation for its fast travel.
Yeah, I just noticed that too. I wondered about it, but it could just be the design of the ship. The "hole" outline looks very clean, unlike something that made impact with it and crawled inside. Like, say, a kraken.

One lingering question for me still is how did it go from ghosts --> possession --> tentacles? Especially since the pirate crew is still (mostly at least) intact.

PS: I LOVE the shot of Guts coming up the steps. Very dramatic.

Oh man. The 3 panels of Guts adjusting a kink in his neck and walking up the stairs was fucking badass. Yes, everything else has me salavating but that little bit felt so cinematic to me.

Oh, days like this make everything all better.

As for the hole in the back of this ship, well, who knows how that got there. However, the black 'goo' oozing out of the ship reminds me of octopus ink. ...DUH. But, don't they use a sort of jet propulsion to move about? Could explain how the pirates were able to catch up soon. (I'm on a 15 minute break and don't have much time to solidfy my theories!)

Edit: Wally did you just update your post? Cause I feel like I'm rehashing what you said. Unless we both edited our posts at the same time. :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Oh man. The 3 panels of Guts adjusting a kink in his neck and walking up the stairs was fucking badass. Yes, everything else has me salavating but that little bit felt so cinematic to me.
Truly, it's great to see Guts back, and especially with such a stylish entrance. I think nearly every reader is collectively breathing a sigh of relief after not seeing Guts in action for such a long time.

Edit: Wally did you just update your post? Cause I feel like I'm rehashing what you said. Unless we both edited our posts at the same time. :void:
I always update my posts :void:

Daijyashin

When someone disappoint Guts no matter how if it's human or not. :guts:
It's a long time since he doesn't stamp on an head. (if I remember correctly it was a troll one). :void:

Walter said:
One lingering question for me still is how did it go from ghosts --> possession --> tentacles? Especially since the pirate crew is still (mostly at least) intact.

In my opinion the tentacles comes from a different creatures, besides the ghosts, but of course I'm not sure. :???:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Marik said:
In my opinion the tentacles comes from a different creatures, besides the ghosts, but of course I'm not sure. :???:
It's not so simple to conclude that though, because the ghosts we see in 308 resemble the shape of the tentacle's heads in 309.

Anyway, Im going to soon have to update the Guts' Kill Roster. The first time Ive had to do so sine 2006! Im not sure I remember the php necessary to do either... :sad:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
Truly, it's great to see Guts back, and especially with such a stylish entrance. I think nearly every reader is collectively breathing a sigh of relief after not seeing Guts in action for such a long time.

So true! His entrance was exceptionally badass!

The tentacles are just confusing me. Looking back in the previous episode when we saw this

3080405.jpg

I'm guessing that was them. So maybe it's not some ghostly possesion but more of a sea creature type thing that's controlling them. I think we threw around the term Ghost ship too much and that threw me off. I mean, are those definitely ghosts up there?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Guts is not impressed. :guts:

I love that man. :guts:

Boy do I feel sorry for Roderick's crew, though. :sad:

Walter said:
Anyway, Im going to soon have to update the Guts' Kill Roster. The first time Ive had to do so sine 2006! Im not sure I remember the php necessary to do either... :sad:

Haha, well if this upcoming break is a long one, you'll have plenty of time to relearn it. :slan:

Oburi said:
I think we threw around the term Ghost ship too much and that threw me off.

Well, that was the name of the episode, so...

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:

Not anymore, there is a giant hole in the back :guts:

Top Bottom