Episode 309

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Anyway, I remember back in volume 27, the first time Guts came back to his senses, his helmet was still on. Somehow he was able to make it retract. I wonder if he can just... make it come up.
We've only really seen the transformation in detail when the Beast is unleashed. The best view we get of that process is in vol 28, ep 241. The Beast coming into control is what triggers the armor reforming itself into that familiar shape.

X

Xem

Either way without a doubt Guts is laying the smack down. I'm pumped.

Though, I'm wondering if it'll be enough, if the possessed (and possibly undead) pirate captain and the Ghost Ship are even the slightest bit intelligent, and I like to give him (or them) at least a little credit, he/they could very likely destroy the Sea Horse easily at this range. At the very least as a last ditch effort since Guts'll most likely be wreaking havoc all over them. Anyone for the crew gettin' ship-wrecked on the likely nearby land?

Gotta love wild speculation. :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Anyone for the crew gettin' ship-wrecked on the likely nearby land?
I don't think this has been speculated on recently, but I like the idea of it. Everyone stranded on Elfhelm, which was their destination anyway. It'd give a sense of finality to the possibility of them returning to the mainland for a while.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
I don't think this has been speculated on recently, but I like the idea of it. Everyone stranded on Elfhelm, which was their destination anyway. It'd give a sense of finality to the possibility of them returning to the mainland for a while.
So I take it that Roderick would be the skipper and Magnifico would be Gilligen? :troll: A three hour tour! A three hour tour!

Seriously though... Maybe when things are looking bad in this fight between the underwater terror and Guts, maybe they will get an assist from elf pygmies! :ganishka:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
It makes me wonder if Roderick is in it for the long haul, or is more of a supporting character for this specific segment, like Jerome and Luca for example. I certainly don't think Magnifico is going to be fighting with them to the end though. :magni:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
It makes me wonder if Roderick is in it for the long haul, or is more of a supporting character for this specific segment, like Jerome and Luca for example. I certainly don't think Magnifico is going to be fighting with them to the end though. :magni:
Based on how he's interacted with the others, and his budding relationship with Farnese, I really think he's in it for the long haul. Jerome and Luca were always more "outsider" characters, with little to do with the main cast. Roderick's carved out his own role in the group.

But, when you break it down, that's certainly not enough to PROVE he's in it for the remainder of the series. It's really more of a hunch and a hope, since he's grown on me a lot in the past year.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
Based on how he's interacted with the others, and his budding relationship with Farnese, I really think he's in it for the long haul. Jerome and Luca were always more "outsider" characters, with little to do with the main cast. Roderick's carved out his own role in the group.

But, when you break it down, that's certainly not enough to PROVE he's in it for the remainder of the series. It's really more of a hunch and a hope, since he's grown on me a lot in the past year.

Well in Luca's defense she did meet the Behelit Apostle and Skullknight. I was a little surprised to see her go after that.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Oburi said:
Well in Luca's defense she did meet the Beherit Apostle and Skullknight. I was a little surprised to see her go after that.

Yeah, but even Luca admitted she wasn't a main character. :void:

Roderick certainly feels different to me than Luca, Jerome, Jill, etc. I hope Magnifico sticks around for a while, I enjoy his terrified facial expressions and his interactions with Puck are priceless, but I doubt we'll see him stick with the group until the end of the series. I am curious to see where he'll end up, though.

Poor Magnifico is stuck with the group now whether he likes it or not. :magni: I think he's going to be around a long time with the group. If ever there was a member of the group whom I think sticks out like a sore thumb, it's him (not that it is a bad thing, I find him and his interactions with the group quite hilarious). Roderick fits well since he's a good fighter and seems to have really gotten on well with the group generally. Magnifico is just so terrified most of the time and on edge that he will soon be running from his own shadow. As Puck put it: We've never had a character like this before.

He can't really head back to his home for obvious reasons and Elfhelm may become a time for relax. I can see him being permanent, personally, if Miura decides to do what was done with Farnese; give the character some much needed courage. Who knows where it can go from here, I just hope that both of them are permanent. (And I hope Azan stays with them for good too).

I don't think the new people will be permanent group members. They will probably be around for a while, but they mostly don't fit into the group in the long run. They might become regulars later on where they play parts in the story or help the team and tag along for periods etc, but not as a direct part of the group.

Shadax said:
I don't think the new people will be permanent group members. They will probably be around for a while, but they mostly don't fit into the group in the long run. They might become regulars later on where they play parts in the story or help the team and tag along for periods etc, but not as a direct part of the group.

Could you possibly rephrase that? It doesn't make sense, to me at least.

They have already "played parts", as you said. That's how Guts and Co. attained a ship, because of Roderick, who was introduced by Magnifico. Unless you're saying the relationship they will have will be similar to the one Guts had with Godot, but that doesn't seem likely.

To be honest, I think that they don't really have a choice, but to stick with Guts, at least for now. We've already seen some of creatures that are roaming the open seas. This current situation is paradigm. If Guts and his crew weren't on board, The Seahorse would be shit out of luck.
Once they reach Elf Helm, however...well, I guess we'll just have to see what happens between then and now :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Who knows, they might even pick up a new group member(s) in Elfhelm.
Before they set out again, I'd say it's very likely the band's lineup will change -- whether it be a new member(s) or an old member(s) staying behind.

X

Xem

Thinking farther down the line, how do you think these new additions to the crew will react when they see Falconia, or even more, Griffith himself? I don't think it's far off to say that Magnifico would easily be mesmerized by the new King of Midland and his glorious empire. Hell, it seems like a bit of a stretch, but it's not implausible that perhaps even Farnese and Roderick would leave Guts side to enjoy their lives with the rest of mankind... assuming Griffith and his apostles haven't shown their "true nature" or whatever by then. :femto:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Deci said:
Hell, it seems like a bit of a stretch, but it's not implausible that perhaps even Farnese and Roderick would leave Guts side to enjoy their lives with the rest of mankind... assuming Griffith and his apostles haven't shown their "true nature" or whatever by then. :femto:
A bit of a stretch is right. Farnese seems right at home with Guts and co. She is still very much dedicated to learning magic from Schierke and Roderick seems truly gentlemanly enough to let her do what she wants. I do see them married, but living under unusual circumstances. As far as I can see, Roderick is a genuine guy and will help Farnese through whatever perils come her way... In the worst case, he might end up sacrificing himself for her... It's something he would do, but I doubt it'd happen. Roderick also mentioned that Skellig is on the way back to his home. Maybe they'd reside there ultimately?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Gobolatula said:
A bit of a stretch is right. Farnese seems right at home with Guts and co. She is still very much dedicated to learning magic from Schierke and Roderick seems truly gentlemanly enough to let her do what she wants. I do see them married, but living under unusual circumstances. As far as I can see, Roderick is a genuine guy and will help Farnese through whatever perils come her way... In the worst case, he might end up sacrificing himself for her... It's something he would do, but I doubt it'd happen. Roderick also mentioned that Skellig is on the way back to his home. Maybe they'd reside there ultimately?

Yeah, I doubt very much that Farnese would join Griffith and the rest of the Falconians, especially if Guts decides to tell them about his past. Magnifico on the other hand...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Hell, it seems like a bit of a stretch, but it's not implausible that perhaps even Farnese and Roderick would leave Guts side to enjoy their lives with the rest of mankind...

Damn right it's implausible. Seriously did you re-read what you wrote? You think Farnese will join Griffith? :schierke:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Rhombaad said:
Yeah, I doubt very much that Farnese would join Griffith and the rest of the Falconians, especially if Guts decides to tell them about his past. Magnifico on the other hand...

Yea I was just thinking the other night that Guts still has not revealed much about his past to the group. Neither Schierke or Farnese is aware that Guts was a captain under Griffith. I for one am really looking forward to the moment when Guts feels it's right to inform them about just who Griffith is and was and about what happened.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Yea I was just thinking the other night that Guts still has not revealed much about his past to the group. Neither Schierke or Farnese is aware that Guts was a captain under Griffith. I for one am really looking forward to the moment when Guts feels it's right to inform them about just who Griffith is and was and about what happened.
There's a thread about that: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=7755.0

X

Xem

Aazealh said:
Damn right it's implausible. Seriously did you re-read what you wrote? You think Farnese will join Griffith? :schierke:

You guys are right, it does seem ridiculous, sometimes my speculations tend to go a little farther than they should. :griffnotevil:

Though I wasn't really thinking that anyone would directly follow Griffith, more that they'd be lured into the new kingdom of Falconia, seeing as how it looks to be pretty much a haven from most of the threats that exist in the world now. Magnifico is a good example of someone who would jump at the idea of living there - should it still be a safe place for people by the time they return - again also assuming they all return. I guess I was more or less thinking that say if Roderick and Farnese were to become a real item perhaps they'd want to stop fighting and live a peaceful life. But like Gob said, they'd be more likely to go to Roderick's home if that was the case.

Anywho, another thing I've been kinda wondering about is all the soldiers that are on the boat now as well. If we assume Roderick does choose to follow Guts, it'd be interesting if these soldiers followed as well. Guts really would have a little army of his own at that point. Maybe Isidro could be the new captain of the Raiders. :ganishka:

Fuck I'm anxious to see how things work out. I'm sure, as always, Miura will astound us all. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Though I wasn't really thinking that anyone would directly follow Griffith, more that they'd be lured into the new kingdom of Falconia, seeing as how it looks to be pretty much a haven from most of the threats that exist in the world now. ... I guess I was more or less thinking that say if Roderick and Farnese were to become a real item perhaps they'd want to stop fighting and live a peaceful life.
"Come on Roddy, let's move in with the same demon beasts who burned down Flora's mansion!"

Makes sense to me! :troll:

Anywho, another thing I've been kinda wondering about is all the soldiers that are on the boat now as well. If we assume Roderick does choose to follow Guts, it'd be interesting if these soldiers followed as well. Guts really would have a little army of his own at that point. Maybe Isidro could be the new captain of the Raiders. :ganishka:
Hardly an army. It's maybe a dozen guys with swords and light armor trained to fight at sea.

Griffith

Deci said:
I guess I was more or less thinking that say if Roderick and Farnese were to become a real item perhaps they'd want to stop fighting and live a peaceful life. But like Gob said, they'd be more likely to go to Roderick's home if that was the case.

It's interesting to think about, but her leaving at all is unlikely until things are "settled", more likely Roderick would have to stick with her and the gang in that scenario.

Deci said:

Well, technically they're sailors, might not be so useful on land, and let's not get ahead of ourselves, there might not be any left by the time they reach Elfhelm. =)

X

Xem

Walter] Hardly an army. It's maybe a dozen guys with swords and light armor trained to fight at sea. [/quote] Well I did say [i]little[/i]. :troll: Anyway said:
Well, technically they're sailors, might not be so useful on land, and let's not get ahead of ourselves, there might not be any left by the time they reach Elfhelm. =)

Yeah I was thinking that as well, it's purely hypothetical. Especially since I'm currently speculating about their being a shipwreck.

It's a fun idea though, getting to see Guts teach and lead a new band of soldiers would be really cool. I miss Gaston and all the wide-eyed soldiers that used to swarm Guts all the time. Always made me smile. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
It's a fun idea though, getting to see Guts teach and lead a new band of soldiers would be really cool. I miss Gaston and all the wide-eyed soldiers that used to swarm Guts all the time. Always made me smile. :guts:
It might be cool for the feeling of nostalgia of Guts being in a military setting again, but I just don't personally feel that's the direction the series will take. It really comes down to if you think the final conflict will be a two-sided battle between Griffith/Apostles and Guts/Elfhelm/etc. I don't see armies like that clashing in a field of battle anymore. I think those days are done.

Griffith

Walter said:
I don't see armies like that clashing in a field of battle anymore. I think those days are done.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that sentiment. I mean, this has been a series filled with war and epic battlefields, we're not more than a few episodes removed from the latest (not to be confused with the last), and now those days are done!? Haven't we made this mistake too many times before? Shunning the obvious for vague cerebral alternatives, which aren't mutually exclusive to epic battles serving as a background anyway (think Return of the Jedi =). I even remember skepticism over the idea of an Apostle army, what was the point after all, what did an incarnated Femto need of an army? We saw how that turned out, along with half a dozen twists we couldn't even possibly imagine along the way. I'm not saying you're wrong, and am sure that the real conclusions will be found in the more subtle, intimate moments of the series' finale, but I don't understand the rationale behind the bold proclamation that that aspect of the series is over, when it may not have even begun as far as Miura can imagine it between the forces of good and evil. Part of me even screams, "Wouldn't Miura himself be disappointed if it didn't come down to an epic battle!?" After all, despite the effort required, he keeps drawing them. =)

Top Bottom