Episode 311

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure the "strange creature" at the end of the episode is an idol/statue of the Sea God referenced by the girl.

^ That could be. I just thought it seemed suspiciously organic.

Then again... the beherits seems to be "alive", but I'm not sure if they're considered "creatures" either.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
D-Scape said:
^ That could be. I just thought it seemed suspiciously organic.
Well, I don't think we can definitively say for SURE it's an idol yet, since no one's said anything about it yet. But it seems more likely than it being alive.

Then again... the beherits seems to be "alive", but I'm not sure if they're considered "creatures" either.
We know Beherits are sentient, based in part on what Flora said about them in Volume 24.

D-Scape said:
So we're back on land again, but things doesn't look too good. My first thought when they confronted the strange creature on the final page was that they had stumbled across chibi-Cthulhu.

If Guts ends up killing Cthulhu out of all this, perhaps that will stifle the whining to come about not being at Elfhelm.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I have a hunch they'll have to escape the island, and not be able to take down the massive sea god. But... maybe not :daiba:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
I have a hunch they'll have to escape the island, and not be able to take down the massive sea god. But... maybe not :daiba:

If it's as big as the tunnel it lives in, they just might have to run. I love the Lovecraftian atmosphere of this episode. :guts:

X

Xem

I wonder what's up with Guts brand. If it hasn't stopped bleeding since the wave washed over them I would guess that could just be another result of the world's merging, as there will always be something strange and/or evil about. If I'm not mistaken, Guts comments on how it seems overly sensitive, or something thereabouts.

To hypothesize a bit though, perhaps the nature of his brand has gained some additional properties as well. I have a theory that perhaps now that the Godhand are in the world, it could even act as a compass, where it could lead him in the direction to find them if he so wished.

[quote author=D-Scape]My first thought when they confronted the strange creature on the final page was that they had stumbled across chibi-Cthulhu.[/quote]

I had similar thoughts, Cthulhu is typically represented as having tentacles and such... but I'm not sure the thing they're seeing in the last panel is the actual monster. If it is, I'd say it's simply an underling, and most probably dead. The fish piled up in front of it are almost definitely a type of offering from the villagers - who I'd say are definitely scared shitless.

The girl is also very interesting, don't really have any thoughts on her yet, but she did have some knowledge of elves which was cool. My only really concrete thought is that maybe she lives separately from the rest of the villagers.

In any case, we'll find out in two weeks! WOO HOO!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I wonder what's up with Guts brand. If it hasn't stopped bleeding since the wave washed over them I would guess that could just be another result of the world's merging, as there will always be something strange and/or evil about.

Don't you read posts (no need to answer, it's obvious you don't and it's annoying)? Or episodes for that matter? Guts' brand has NOT been continuously bleeding since the worlds merged. We see it bleeding in this episode because of what's on/in the island, and we saw it slightly starting to bleed when the ghost ship approaches in episode 308 (implying it wasn't bleeding before that).

Deci said:
I'm not sure the thing they're seeing in the last panel is the actual monster.

Oh come on, of course it's not the actual monster. :schierke: Like it's been said a half-dozen times now it's just an idol. The "sea god" is supposed to be in the giant cave Isidro found.

Deci said:
The girl is also very interesting, don't really have any thoughts on her yet, but she did have some knowledge of elves which was cool.

You mean she has knowledge of elves like every kid in the world? It's really nothing special. She was just excited to see one for the first time, like any other child would be. It's more interesting that she's willing to talk to a stranger instead of hiding like the other villagers.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
If it hasn't stopped bleeding since the wave washed over them I would guess that could just be another result of the world's merging, as there will always be something strange and/or evil about.
Guts' brand only bleeds around evil things, not "something strange." It has other reactions/feelings to other beings, such as Skull Knight.

If I'm not mistaken, Guts comments on how it seems overly sensitive, or something thereabouts.
Whoa, you can read japanese? Sweet, please help us with translations!

I have a theory that perhaps now that the Godhand are in the world, it could even act as a compass, where it could lead him in the direction to find them if he so wished.
I wouldn't call that a theory -- it's more of a wild guess.

Cthulhu is typically represented as having tentacles and such...
No shit.

but I'm not sure the thing they're seeing in the last panel is the actual monster.
No shit.

The fish piled up in front of it are almost definitely a type of offering from the villagers - who I'd say are definitely scared shitless.
No shit.

Yeah, pretty much.

I thought it seemed possible that it was an extension of the Monster, pehap running up through the inside of the Island. But I guess most think its an idol?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
I thought it seemed possible that it was an extension of the Monster, pehap running up through the inside of the Island. But I guess most think its an idol?

Well it's not completely impossible, but it'd be ridiculously inconvenient unless the island itself was just one gigantic monster. Besides, why would the pile of fishes be intact if that thing was supposed to eat them?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Well it's not completely impossible, but it'd be ridiculously inconvenient unless the island itself was just one gigantic monster. Besides, why would the pile of fishes be intact if that thing was supposed to eat them?

That's just one of its tiny eye-stocks keeping watch on its tribute, the other eye is located in a cupboard on the other side of the island. The island itself is a giant helmet. =)

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
グリフィス said:
That's just one of its tiny eye-stocks keeping watch on its tribute, the other eye is located in a cupboard on the other side of the island. The island itself is a giant helmet. =)
Guts better start looking for that glowing blue spot then! [/is gonna use this joke whenever it's relevant] :troll:

Jaze1618 said:
I thought it seemed possible that it was an extension of the Monster, pehap running up through the inside of the Island.

The idea crossed my mind. Imagine: The eye of the creature/statue suddenly opens. Guts runs the Dragon Slayer through it and a thunderous voice is heard over the island: "INSOLENT HUMANS, HOW DAAAAAAAARE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!" followed by a massive earthquake. :ganishka:

Death May Die said:
So, they arrived to this town and they're getting the "Innsmouth" treatment. That can never be good. :magni:

First thing that came to mind. This episode really had a classic Lovecraft horror vibe to it, especially with Sea Gods being mentioned.

X

Xem

[quote author=Aaz]Guts' brand has NOT been continuously bleeding since the worlds merged. We see it bleeding in this episode because of what's on/in the island, and we saw it slightly starting to bleed when the ghost ship approaches in episode 308 (implying it wasn't bleeding before that).[/quote]

Heh, okay, but Schierke and Guts seem to share a conversation about his brand, is it really strange to think it's kind of acting strange? I mean, stranger than usual?

You mean she has knowledge of elves like every kid in the world? It's really nothing special. She was just excited to see one for the first time, like any other child would be. It's more interesting that she's willing to talk to a stranger instead of hiding like the other villagers.

That's one interesting take on it, definitely!

BUT to add controversy, a lot of characters haven't seemed that knowledgeable about elves. Isn't it safe to assume that a child seemingly pretty isolated on a pretty isolated island might not have heard such folk tales? It's common sense to think that such a person that does know of elves might have some further insight that's rather contradictory to the standard.

[quote author=Walter]Guts' brand only bleeds around evil things, not "something strange." It has other reactions/feelings to other beings, such as Skull Knight.[/quote]

Okay.

I wouldn't call that a theory -- it's more of a wild guess.

Okay.

Okay.

Okay.

Okay.

Okay.

Yeah, pretty much.

Glad we see eye to eye Walter! :griffnotevil:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Heh, okay, but Schierke and Guts seem to share a conversation about his brand, is it really strange to think it's kind of acting strange? I mean, stranger than usual?

No, but that's irrelevant to what you were saying.

Deci said:
That's one interesting take on it, definitely!

"Interesting take?" It's what happens, that's all.

Deci said:
BUT to add controversy, a lot of characters haven't seemed that knowledgeable about elves. Isn't it safe to assume that a child seemingly pretty isolated on a pretty isolated island might not have heard such folk tales?

What controversy? Looks to me like you're just adding confusion to your own thoughts here. Pretty much every kid out there knows what an elf is supposed to look like. Being on an isolated island doesn't change that, as shown in this episode.

Deci said:
It's common sense to think that such a person that does know of elves might have some further insight that's rather contradictory to the standard.

No, it's not "common sense" at all and it's just not the case here as the girl pretty clearly doesn't have any secret knowledge about elves. :schierke:

Given that currently unnamed naked girls lack of clothes, her spear, and her net, it's likely that she could have been drawn from the tradition of Japanese Ama Divers.

Admittedly, that wikipedia article is woefully short and inadequate (big surprise), but seeing her made me think of that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Given that currently unnamed naked girls lack of clothes, her spear, and her net, it's likely that she could have been drawn from the tradition of Japanese Ama Divers.

I wouldn't say it's likely, to be honest. Spearfishing is common in most civilizations, and Ama divers aren't famous for it.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Personally, I'm really worried for the ship and the crew. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of the sailors decided to take a walk and were somehow pulled toward the big cave.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Okin said:
Personally, I'm really worried for the ship and the crew. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of the sailors decided to take a walk and were somehow pulled toward the big cave.
I'm more worried about Isidro waltzing into the cave all by himself with the girl tagging along trying to stop him. He's already right next to the giant entrance. Sha-pow..rescue mission. He is a rambunctious young boy after all. I don't see the ship or the crew being in any sort of immediate danger...but I'm sure they'll get their fair share of terror later.

I love the way the shoreline and the cave is drawn...I can almost imagine a gross and heavy air inhaling and exhaling as the tide goes in and out of the cave...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Okin said:

I doubt sailors are just going to leave the ship like that. It's a military vessel and they have a lot of work to do to quickly repair it. The three nameless guys who accompany the group could be at risk though.

Anyway, I'd like to clarify what Guts says about the Brand in this episode in order to avoid further confusion.

They all disembark and he is unsuspecting of any trouble. Schierke asks him if he feels anything strange about the island, and at this point he reaches for the Brand and notices that it's been bleeding. He hadn't noticed it before. That's because ever since the worlds have merged, the Brand has been odd, and now it's hypersensitive to the point that he has trouble distinguishing things with it like he used to. That's it. Simple enough, right?

What this implies is pretty big though. Since volume 1 Guts has always been able to "feel" evil through his Brand, using it in a Radar-like fashion to detect and even track his enemies. It's warned him of countless dangerous situations. That ability is apparently greatly diminished. He believes he'll still feel if something serious comes close enough, but who knows... In any case, he might have to rely on Schierke more than he used to, at least for the time being.

Aazealh said:
What this implies is pretty big though. Since volume 1 Guts has always been able to "feel" evil through his Brand, using it in a Radar-like fashion to detect and even track his enemies. It's warned him of countless dangerous situations. That ability is apparently greatly diminished. He believes he'll still feel if something serious comes close enough, but who knows...

Maybe it could be to his benefit, though? Specifically, I mean if he were (for some reason) to resume his quest to kill Griffith. With the "numbing" of the brand, perhaps that would be something of an edge he has.

Though I'm not sure of the brand's effect on Guts, specifically, up to this point in the story, to be honest. The first time we see Guts come into contact with Femto (Volume 3), Guts almost passed out due to Femto's "Level of Evil" (Think that's the right term.) In Volume 21, with The Reincarnation occurring, Guts is brought to his knees from the pain. In Volume 22, his brand is still bleeding quite a good bit with Griffith close by, though it would appear he's built up a tolerance to the pain caused by the brand. This is also shown in Volume 26 with Guts' interaction with Slan. So I guess it comes down to if The Brand was functioning as more of a "radar" prior to the merger, or if the pain factor was still a significant one.

Just a thought/question that popped up. :void:

P.S. Then again, maybe being near "The Absolute" still calls for immense pain to those branded :troll:

Top Bottom