Episode 312

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rough summary: Isidro want to search the cave but finds nothing. He gets wounded though and so they go to the girl's house, but he drops his dagger somehow. The girl is carelessly enticing so he's overwhelmed. Schierke finds the dagger on her own, tracking his Od, then joins up with them.

From the last panel it looks like... the girl could be the sea god(dess)? Or maybe she's just possessed or something.

Makes me think: what if the spirits Schierke used to summon can now wander in the world under human guises? Also, Schierke tracking Isidro all by herself, and walking in on him being dazzled by this girl... Sounds like the perfect set for a budding but unrecognized and unavowed romance! :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Alright, first thought is, that girl somehow reminds me of that cat we saw in the previous episode.

But how could she be the cat since she was already with Isidro in the previous episode? Anyway, the girl's name might be "Isma" (イスマ).

And regarding the last panel, I think it could be a shot of the girl viewed through Schierke's "astral vision". Maybe it's like I originally speculated in the previous thread and she's a sort of siren-like creature.

Aazealh said:
But how could she be the cat since she was already with Isidro in the previous episode? Anyway, the girl's name might be "Isma" (イスマ).

And regarding the last panel, I think it could be a shot of the girl viewed through Schierke's "astral vision".

Interesting that she should be surrounded by fish then. Thanks for the preview pics and summary!

puella

Berserk forever
Aazealh said:
And regarding the last panel, I think it could be a shot of the girl viewed through Schierke's "astral vision".

I think it might rather be the girl's reaction to Schierke, suddenly becoming aggressive as she notices her power (as a witch).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Interesting that she should be surrounded by fish then.

Well if we assume she has special powers it would make sense for them to be sea-related, given the context. Anyhow, I wonder if she was telling Isidro the truth about the cave in the previous episode...

puella said:
I think it might rather be the girl's reaction to Schierke, suddenly becoming aggressive as she notices her power (as a witch).

Why not, though both possibilities are not mutually exclusive in this case.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm leaning toward Aaz' thought that the girl is a wandering astral entity now able to appear in human form. The last image there is very ... eye-catching. Looks like she's saying something in monster-speak too, just from the tiny glimpse we get her in this image (check the lower right side).

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Now, I know it doesn't seem all that possible, but WHAT IF this girl were to join the group..? If she is the sea god or some sort of astral being, she doesn't seem all that evil.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Now, I know it doesn't seem all that possible, but WHAT IF this girl were to join the group..? If she is the sea god or some sort of astral being, she doesn't seem all that evil.
It'd be pretty cool to add someone like that to the main cast. It'd provide a lot of insight into that world. But I don't think it's likely... Maybe!

I'd also like to hypothesize that while we're assuming she's an astral entity, that last shot could just be her reaction to when she goes underwater and sees the Sea God rising up from the depths. :magni:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
puella said:
I think it might rather be the girl's reaction to Schierke

I was right. :iva:

Gobolatula said:

Could be very interesting. Nothing's done though.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Just finished reading the episode. Title is "See you all in August!" 鳴る瀬ろの娘 so, Daughter of the Roaring Rapids?

Will be sending it for the rest of you =)

Also, her name is Isuma. Google tells me it means "to think" in Inuit.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Aazealh said:
Or just Isma and it has no particular meaning, like I suggested earlier?

Sure it does, if you look at the big picture.

Her last name is probably "Char" and as you know in the Japanese naming tradition, the family name goes first :p [/clutchingatstraws]

But, yeah, didn't see your post.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Her last name is probably "Char" and as you know in the Japanese naming tradition, the family name goes first :p [/clutchingatstraws]

You!! :mozgus:

Anyway, the villagers are transformed, like the pirates! And Schierke was attacked by another, smaller sea cucumber? The plot thickens. :guts:

Some rough elements from the episode: Isidro says that if he's afraid of danger, he can't really be adventurous. The girl (whom I shall call "Isma" for now) tells him that this sea god is horrible, that it sinks ships and eats humans. Back at the village Schierke says the idol represents an ancient god. She explains that in the world at large the main religion(s) have prevailed over time but that on this small island, this old god from the bottom of the astral world has remained active. She wants to search the island and tells the others to go ahead at the inn without her. They're all worried but she tells them that an island like this is safer for her than a city. The girl wants to hear many details about the group's journey and treats Isidro well. She's also delighted to see Schierke when she arrives.

Also the episode title seems to be pretty complicated (from some old Japanese song), more about that later.

I think it's interesting that Schierke has to go after Isidro this time around, it contrasts nicely to what happened in Vritannis. Also, I think the Sea God is indeed a big ugly monster (could it actually be the creature controlling the ghost ship?) and not our friend Isma. I'm leaning more towards her being either a spirit/astral creature in human form or a gifted child à la Sonia for now (or a crazy variation/combination of these and more). Notice how she doesn't seem to have legs on the last page? Could she be a sort of mermaid?

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Again weird elements. I think it's hard to say what is going to happen.

But the most strange thing is that around that island seems to be gathered people turned into supernatural being, other sea cocumber and this weird girl that seems a mermaid/water spirit.
It's not clear if this Sea God is just malevolent.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Marik said:
But the most strange thing is that around that island seems to be gathered people turned into supernatural being, other sea cocumber and this weird girl that seems a mermaid/water spirit.
It's not clear if this Sea God is just malevolent.

I think it's very clear the Sea God is malevolent, on the contrary. Current thoughts so far: The Sea God came forth when the worlds merged (maybe because the inhabitants still had a cult for it). The island is its base of operations (it transformed all the humans there), but it wanders far enough that it could transform the pirates as well (it was probably attracted by the residual evil on their ship). The girl was not transformed because she is not human, even though we don't know what she is yet. That is why she went to Isidro, probably to protect him (because she knew of the danger). She is most likely benevolent.

The Sea God might be what controls the ship. But it might also be in the cave. Of course those two possibilities are not mutually exclusive: the ghost ship might have returned to the cave since dawn was breaking. What is to consider is how much power this "god" has. We know it has transformed sea cucumbers into giant monsters and has them do its bidding. We know it can transform humans, maybe leaving them some degree of free will but still having a form of control over them. What else can it do? What are its limits? And can our friends deal with it without suffering various losses in the process? (while typing this I was reminded of what Silat tells the Tapasa in volume 18 as they watch Guts in the distance)

Daijyashin

Aazealh said:
I think it's very clear the Sea God is malevolent, on the contrary. Current thoughts so far: The Sea God came forth when the worlds merged (maybe because the inhabitants still had a cult for it). The island is its base of operations (it transformed all the humans there), but it wanders far enough that it could transform the pirates as well (it was probably attracted by the residual evil on their ship).

Yes I think that's correct.

Aazealh said:
The girl was not transformed because she is not human, even though we don't know what she is yet. That is why she went to Isidro, probably to protect him (because she knew of the danger). She is most likely benevolent.

And I was meaning something like that, since the girl wasn't involved in the transformation. But I think that as you say the reason lies in her supernatural spirit. Now I wonder if the Sea God curse(or what it is) targets randomly or even the Roderick crew and Guts party are in danger.

Aazealh said:
The Sea God might be what controls the ship. But it might also be in the cave. Of course those two possibilities are not mutually exclusive: the ghost ship might have returned to the cave since dawn was breaking. What is to consider is how much power this "god" has. We know it has transformed sea cucumbers into giant monsters and has them do its bidding. We know it can transform humans, maybe leaving them some degree of free will but still having a form of control over them. What else can it do? What are its limits? And can our friends deal with it without suffering various losses in the process?

Interesting point.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Marik said:
But I think that as you say the reason lies in her supernatural spirit. Now I wonder if the Sea God curse(or what it is) targets randomly or even the Roderick crew and Guts party are in danger.

I think they're all in danger if they're caught. We don't know what the transformation process is (something pretty gross I imagine :iva:) but it probably requires the Sea God to show itself.

By the way, notice how the villagers all stay inside? It's not just because they don't like strangers: they're vulnerable to sunlight, like all evil spirits.

Daijyashin

Aazealh said:
By the way, notice how the villagers all stay inside? It's not just because they don't like strangers: they're vulnerable to sunlight, like all evil spirits.

And like the pirates? Yes I think that's about it.

Is it safe to assume that those fish surrounding the Schierke and the girl in the last few panels are undines like how the salamanders cover Isidro's dagger and sylphs cover Serpico's cloak and sword? Or are they unique to her "powers?"

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Imperator Perpetuo said:
Is it safe to assume that those fish surrounding the Schierke and the girl in the last few panels are undines like how the salamanders cover Isidro's dagger and sylphs cover Serpico's cloak and sword? Or are they unique to her "powers?"

Undines usually look different, so I think they're unique to Isma.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Nice episode. Since you guys cover most of the important questions. Since Aaz already pointed out that they're all in danger, I wonder if the people will attack right away after the sun sets? And how much Isma and Schierke will talk about?

Top Bottom