Episode 313

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Maldoror said:
Oh yeah, it's been mentioned earlier. Really cool thing to know! With that in mind it does make sense for it to be a separate creature with villagers being smaller versions/parts of it. Still not sure though... can't wait to learn more about the Sea God and its influence!

Yeah, at this point we don't have much to go on about what the Sea God looks like (other than the idol) and how its power works. And it's supposed to be incapacitated right now! Imagine how ridiculously powerful the thing must be when fully able... I think it's pretty awesome how Miura set this little excursion up, as we're really witnessing how different the world is now. It's not just some trolls running around anymore, we have ancient malevolent beings worthy to be called gods that are trying to take control of entire areas of the world. H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard would approve.

Imperator Perpetuo said:
Ah, I see what you’re saying about the sea cucumber, my friend. I was thinking that each tentacle was an individual sea cucumber monster.

Ah, well in the case of the villagers, it could be I guess. We haven't seen them attached to anything, and yet the innkeeper managed to transform into an exact replica of the smaller monsters that attacked the Sea Horse earlier. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's not impossible.

Imperator Perpetuo said:
And thank you so much for the reply. I truly appreciate it. :)

Don't mention it. :serpico:

Like mentioned numerous times I love the horror vibe going on. This particular episode built it up really well, and delivered. It reminds me of RE4's villagers. I like how the sea god can use its arms to mimic human form. Very good little adventure we got going here. :serpico:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Now, what I'm wondering is how much of a real challenge the sea god will be to Guts. Obviously the tentacles are nothing to worry about, but once the real deal emerges, will it be another battle that thrashes our boy up a la Ganishka?

It's always wonderful to see Guts struggling and using his keen battle sense (and unyielding berserker craziness) to take down a tough, seemingly unbeatable enemy. Plus, Skully warned Guts that there'd be many perils ahead of him (back in volume 28) before he gets to Elfhelm. In terms of what he's gone through on the way, I wonder, has he gone through enough peril already? Is this Sea God just going to be a minor annoyance? Or is this going to be a giant "grand finale" of perils on this journey, so to speak? I'm having a hard time imagining something kicking Guts' ass as much as Ganishka and Daiba did.

...Or maybe this will be more of a peril for Isidro and Schierke...

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Gobolatula said:
Now, what I'm wondering is how much of a real challenge the sea god will be to Guts. Obviously the tentacles are nothing to worry about, but once the real deal emerges, will it be another battle that thrashes our boy up a la Ganishka?

It's always wonderful to see Guts struggling and using his keen battle sense (and unyielding berserker craziness) to take down a tough, seemingly unbeatable enemy. Plus, Skully warned Guts that there'd be many perils ahead of him (back in volume 28) before he gets to Elfhelm. In terms of what he's gone through on the way, I wonder, has he gone through enough peril already? Is this Sea God just going to be a minor annoyance? Or is this going to be a giant "grand finale" of perils on this journey, so to speak? I'm having a hard time imagining something kicking Guts' ass as much as Ganishka and Daiba did.

As much as I love Guts, I love seeing him fight an enemy that poses a challenge, too. So far these tentacle things have been like most enemies and fallen under one fell swoop. Bam! Dead. Slice! Serve it up with some rice.

I'm really hoping this Sea God is going to be totally nuts and huge. I think it would be interesting if they got in such a rut they had to retreat to a safe haven. Besides, I don't see Miura taking us to a mysterious island ripe with possibility just to have Guts slay this thing and jump back on the boat. I'm sure this arc will hold many important plot developments and challenges. The whole mentioning of a "revival" freaks me out. The word has a history with particularly evil and terrible things happening.

I'm not very concerned about Schierke and Isidro right now. I'm guessing they'll be safe inside the runes that encircle Isma's house.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
hahaha I was thinking the same thing about Guts and rebirthing/revival/incarnation ceremonies... Once Mr. Fishman said that phrase, THWAK! Knife in the eye. Guts is thinking, "Okay, enough of this crap, you're all dead.

I still think it was funny to see Guts spying on the transformed chef/bartender.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I like how the sea god can use its arms to mimic human form.

You know, these creatures are minions of the Sea God but they were originally human. And I think it's a bit early to be calling them the Sea God's "arms", since we have no idea what it even is.

Gobolatula said:
Plus, Skully warned Guts that there'd be many perils ahead of him (back in volume 28) before he gets to Elfhelm.

He mostly meant the Demon Army led by Griffith though. Specifically mentioning apostles and all, emphasizing the choice Guts would have to make between protecting Casca and pursuing his revenge.

Gobolatula said:
Is this Sea God just going to be a minor annoyance?

I really don't think so. Remember how the group fared against the Kundalini? The Sea God's power could potentially be tenfold.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:
Also there is a full moon! I am hoping for the appearance of the Moonlight Boy.
My first thought after reading about the full moon wasn't of the boy, but what Schierke said back on Vritannis beach just before they fought with the crocs: magic exhibits greater power on full moons. The special properties of the full moon are apparently a necessary part of the sea god's revival. And since this thing is evil, it also reminds me of another foreboding celestial event in Berserk: the eclipse (No, I'm not saying a God Hand will appear...).

I wonder how the group will work together in battling this presumably monstrous creature. I don't think a "SEA GOD" will be a pushover. And as always, I hope Guts will hold up okay, given his condition. The last time there was a full moon almost ended very badly for him and the group...
beastgrin.gif

Regarding Isma's mom, I don't think Miura tossed in that part about her mother returning to her just for nothing. I think we may see a full-on return of the Merrows to aid the group in combating the newly revived Sea God. Either way, this is going to be awesome. Imagine if the thing ... speaks. What would an ancient god in the Berserk world say?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Pretty good episode. I can imagine the island being destroyed or crumbling to pieces as this "Sea God" emerges from the cave, it it's in there.

Aphasia

Walter said:
Either way, this is going to be awesome. Imagine if the thing ... speaks. What would an ancient god in the Berserk world say?
You're right about the awesome part. I'm really excited about the way things are unfolding...

I can't imagine, It's obviously evil, and very powerful...I wonder if it will have a personality at all, or just be some kind of immense monster.

However, I imagine it saying something like...

Fe...Fie...Fou...Fum...
I will crush you all...
with my sea monster thumb.

Oburi said:
I got a little noir-ish feeling from that scene.
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/5213/berserknoir.jpg
That's great Oburi. :ganishka:

Aphasia

Walter said:
Holy balls, this is exactly what I imagined it sounding like. Extremely deep and echoey. Imagine hearing that faintly below your feet if you were just swimming in the middle of the ocean.

Also...this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdDXh4Ap49A&feature=related

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I laughed when I heard Aaz's audio clip :ganishka:
I love sea monsters! Leviathan being my favorite! I'm getting all excited for the next episode :guts: (ill make sure to play the Kraken song when/if they show it emerging)
I hope it is unbelievably huge. That would probably be the worst situation Guts has been in yet, (since the eclipse), and it would be funny to see Magnifico's reaction. :magni:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Man, what a great episode. It's good to have Berserk back. :guts:

Reading all the speculation as well as Isma's story of the Sea God, this could potentially be the most dangerous situation Guts has ever faced, including the Eclipse. If the Sea God is as large and powerful as Isma's story makes it out to be, it'll make an apostle like Grunbeld look like nothing. As others have said, imagine if there are more of these gods around the world waiting to wake up. So cool!

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Very nice episode. I wonder if the Sea God curses everything with the same monstrous shape (the sea cucumber and the villagers seems to transform in the same monstrous being) and if its look resembles the tentacles or something like that.

I'm also glad to see again this Guts:
guts.jpg

If I remember correctly the last time we have seen Guts that way was in the 19 volume.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Marik said:
I'm also glad to see again this Guts: http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8092/guts.jpg

If I remember correctly the last time we have seen Guts that way was in the 19 volume.

Really? We haven't seen him like that when he fought the trolls or during the night attack in Vritannis? I can't remember but has it really been that long?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:
Really? We haven't seen him like that when he fought the trolls or during the night attack in Vritannis? I can't remember but has it really been that long?

Not quite, I know for sure we get the silhouette with white eye in volume 22 when Guts is fighting Zodd, and a couple of close calls in volume 26 (silhouetted, but with a wild looking pupil, so no dice =). Anyway, there's many variations on the white eyed scary Guts look, but the full silhouette is employed less than one would think, so Marik is correct that this is a happy occasion.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Aazealh said:
In this issue Miura commented on the 3D exhibition that took place in Shanghai. He seems quite enthusiastic about it, saying that maybe one day all manga will be available in 3D.
Wish there had been some pictures, or at least a better explanation of how the "3D exhibition" worked. I wanna see my Jojo and Berserk art next to each other dammit! :zodd:

I'd like to add that I'm also happy about the return of our old friend Silhouette Eye(with no pupil). :ganishka:

Rhombaad said:
Man, what a great episode. It's good to have Berserk back. :guts:

Reading all the speculation as well as Isma's story of the Sea God, this could potentially be the most dangerous situation Guts has ever faced, including the Eclipse. If the Sea God is as large and powerful as Isma's story makes it out to be, it'll make an apostle like Grunbeld look like nothing. As others have said, imagine if there are more of these gods around the world waiting to wake up. So cool!

This gives me the image of Guts being eaten and proceeding with the extremely gory "KILL IT FROM THE INSIDE OUT" approach that's been used in other such situations such as Gears of War 2... :???:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
CowTip said:
This gives me the image of Guts being eaten and proceeding with the extremely gory "KILL IT FROM THE INSIDE OUT" approach that's been used in other such situations such as Gears of War 2... :???:
Oh yeah! I think I saw that in this awesome manga called Berserk! volume 28 :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That image is one of the pull-out posters inside Volume 34. But you guys already knew that, right? :carcus:

Top Bottom