Episode 314

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
This might be a long shot, but I was thinking if the tentacles make up the "beard" of the larger tentacles, what if in turn those larger tentacles are part of even larger ones belonging to the Sea God. What if that's what's in the pirate ship? Isma mentioned that the Sea God's tentacles were so large they reached out into the sea itself. What do you think?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
This might be a long shot, but I was thinking if the tentacles make up the "beard" of the larger tentacles, what if in turn those larger tentacles are part of even larger ones belonging to the Sea God. What if that's what's in the pirate ship? Isma mentioned that the Sea God's tentacles were so large they reached out into the sea itself. What do you think?
I know me and Aaz had discussed that before, but the thing is, we don't see any hint of those tentacles in the episodes when the pirate ship was fighting the Sea Horse. There's an underwater shot of the thing, but no tentacles visible -- just that mysterious ooze coming out of it.

I do believe that these things are all connected in some way to the Sea God, but it might not have to branch directly from the creature itself.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
I know me and Aaz had discussed that before, but the thing is, we don't see any hint of those tentacles in the episodes when the pirate ship was fighting the Sea Horse. There's an underwater shot of the thing, but no tentacles visible -- just that mysterious ooze coming out of it.

I do believe that these things are all connected in some way to the Sea God, but it might not have to branch directly from the creature itself.

Ah, that's right, I forgot that we've already seen the ship from underneath the water. Damn, thought I was onto something.

However,
Haven't we already seen the citizens of this island? Until they transformed, none of them appeared to be connected by tentacles either. I am thinking back to episode 312 with the two villagers eating at the small table in the restaurant.

Am I mistaken?

It's not that obvious to me, after all we never see their feet, they're always hidden by something. Although in the case of the two villagers sitting in the tavern, I can't imagine how they can be connected to anything that wouldn't be spotted by Guts or someone else. This is all very intriguing :carcus:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
here is my highly thought out theory :void:
Berserk_v35c311p20.png
->
island.jpg

as for the town people being connected to the main body.. :???:
maybe the tentacles were buried all along? or something along those lines.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Staralfur said:
I wonder what's happening on board of the Sea Horse right now, is the ship also being attacked by the sea cucumbers? I wonder if the cannons would be enough to defend the ship, somehow I doubt it. Maybe it will be a good occasion for some Azan action :azan:

If they're only attacked by a single sea cucumber I believe Azan could take care of it with the help of all the soldiers on board, now that they know what they're facing. They couldn't withstand a full-on attack, but the enemies are concentrating on Guts' side for the moment.

pjboom said:
I thought they were only "appearing from the mist", like a dramatic effect. But now that you mention it is more interesting your way, seems a more hopeless scenery, perfect for Guts debating himself betwen sanity or mindless carnage.

Actually I would say that your first impression was right and it's just more sea cucumbers rising out to replace those Guts defeated. Nothing hints that it's the same monsters healing up as far as I can tell.

Proj2501 said:
To point out the obvious I'm sure we'll see more of the Pirates again.

Well.... yeah. Like, early on in episode 315, and then they'll transform into tentacles like the villagers did.

Proj2501 said:
I'm really curious what the deal is with these sea cucumbers and the whole 'taking over' people. Does that mean the pirate crew were all tentacles like the villagers?

The few pirate members who survived the sea cucumber attack were transformed into tentacles, yes. They look just the same.

Proj2501 said:
I'm just curious as to the Captain behavior. He's a tentacle, part of the sea cucumber(s) yet retains his own personality?

That seems to be how it works. Again, it's nothing too surprising. Apostle minions are the same (Zondark, Rochine's guardians).

Proj2501 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong. The Sea God hasn't been woken yet. Right? So, yea, what the heck's in the ship. :/

We don't really know at this point. After the merging of the worlds Isma said she heard noises coming from the cave, and all the villagers were transformed. That's the work of the Sea God. Now add to that the fact something traveled away from the island and transformed the pirates as well. Plus it's the full moon, and before the worlds had merged, the Sea God's power would increase during the full moon even though it was restrained. Add all of this together and it's hard to believe it's just sleeping somewhere under the island. I think it's clearly been preparing its own return through those monsters.

Walter said:
It doesn't appear The Boss and his crew were exactly like the villagers. The pirates retained their memories and personalities, whereas the villagers look and act like almost-identical drones.

I don't know about that. The only villager we had any real exposure to was the innkeeper, and he seemed to have retained his personality. The main difference is that the pirate captain was naturally outgoing and colorful, whereas the villagers were typical inbreds who met strangers in an appropriately sullen, suspicious and uncommunicative manner. I wouldn't look any farther than that.

Rhombaad said:

It would make sense if the Sea God was a giant creature at least the size of a good chunk of the island, like in the picture Truder drew. That would explain how some sea cucumbers can rise out from underground to attack the group. If the Sea God is inside the ghost ship though, I just don't see how it could be possible. We don't see them connected to it, not in previous episodes like Walter pointed out, but also not in this episode when we see the ship ascending the cliff.

The big unknown is still what's inside the ship. Even if it's not the Sea God itself, it's going to be its "right-hand monster" or something of the sort. A creature apparently strong enough to be able to turn humans into sea monsters by itself. That would also guarantee a trip to the cave, which would surely prove to be quite exciting. :beast:

Jaze1618 said:
Haven't we already seen the citizens of this island? Until they transformed, none of them appeared to be connected by tentacles either. I am thinking back to episode 312 with the two villagers eating at the small table in the restaurant.

Yeah, I also can't make sense of this. In the case of the innkeeper, there's that shot of him going inside the pantry where he's bobbing to the side in a weird fashion, and I wondered if that could not have been a hint from Miura that he wasn't really walking. Plus the fact he asked someone to carry the food to the table, implying he wasn't able to do it himself without revealing his true nature (and when Guts came forward to do it, the guy retreated to another room so that he couldn't be seen up close). But like you said there's the 2 guys sitting at the table, although we never see their feet on the floor. I guess it comes down to the characters needing to be quite inattentive to miss something that big.

And how did the villagers leave their houses to gather around the inn exactly, were the tentacles already buried underground all along? Some species of sea cucumbers like to burrow, so it would make sense... Still, I'm curious to know what the full process is, from the assimilation to the way they transform. Hopefully Miura will detail it a bit.

Maybe the inhabitants of the island can only be linked to the seagod at night, when the midnight is near perhaps they start to transform, like the inkeeper for example. Then the seagod someway extends his tentacles joining every villager. Perhaps during the day they remain as "plausible normal" humans.

And just a random theory, what if the pirate ship is like a vessel to the seagod, since it was sealed by magic (I suppose) perhaps a human made ships allows it (or a part of it) to leave his confinement, something like the silver mail being useless against a mere fork.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
pjboom said:
Maybe the inhabitants of the island can only be linked to the seagod at night, when the midnight is near perhaps they start to transform, like the inkeeper for example. Then the seagod someway extends his tentacles joining every villager. Perhaps during the day they remain as "plausible normal" humans.
That sounds good to me. :ubik:

It is possible that the pirate ship could have an offspring of the sea god inside it (mini sea god). That could explain why it was able attack the pirates off of the island, while the sea god is trapped within the island and the whole rock climbing phenomenon.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dr Majin said:
It is possible that the pirate ship could have an offspring of the sea god inside it (mini sea god). That could explain why it was able attack the pirates off of the island, while the sea god is trapped within the island and the whole rock climbing phenomenon.
Yeah, we've considered that:

Aazealh said:
The big unknown is still what's inside the ship. Even if it's not the Sea God itself, it's going to be its "right-hand monster" or something of the sort. A creature apparently strong enough to be able to turn humans into sea monsters by itself. That would also guarantee a trip to the cave, which would surely prove to be quite exciting. :beast:

I'll note that in support of the idea of a smaller offspring, or at least smaller version of what's currently attacking the crew, is the small size of the tentacles that attacked Schierke in the cave, that she escaped relatively unharmed, though, er, somewhat embarrassed.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Bekul said:
I'll note that in support of the idea of a smaller offspring, or at least smaller version of what's currently attacking the crew, is the small size of the tentacles that attacked Schierke in the cave, that she escaped relatively unharmed, though, er, somewhat embarrassed.

I was wondering the other day if the little tentacles might be the transformed versions of village children who got too curious about the cave over the years! Hehe

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
pjboom said:

Definitely possible, though I wonder what the "linking" process would look like.

pjboom said:
And just a random theory, what if the pirate ship is like a vessel to the seagod, since it was sealed by magic (I suppose) perhaps a human made ships allows it (or a part of it) to leave his confinement, something like the silver mail being useless against a mere fork.

But then how did it get into the Captain Shark Rider in the first place? That's just not possible.

Bekul said:
I'll note that in support of the idea of a smaller offspring, or at least smaller version of what's currently attacking the crew, is the small size of the tentacles that attacked Schierke in the cave

But that wouldn't make much sense in the context. The ghost ship had a "normal-sized" giant sea cucumber at its disposal, and the pirates were apparently transformed like the villagers. Then we saw the smaller tentacles guarding the entrance of the cave but without a hint that the ship was nearby, and Schierke could escape them without (apparently) any problem. The two don't seem connected.

Lithrael said:
I was wondering the other day if the little tentacles might be the transformed versions of village children who got too curious about the cave over the years! Hehe

That sounds a lot more plausible (and cool) actually. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the case.

Anyway, I forgot to post this earlier, but did anyone else notice that Guts now uses a sort of cartridge for his cannon? He used to keep the gunpowder and the balls separate, but when he reloaded this time they were integrated and the resulting ammunition even had a sabot (the protrusion around the rim, it fills the gap between the barrel and the cannonball to keep it centered and to trap the propellant gases behind it, augmenting its muzzle velocity).

Cannon01.jpg
Cannon02.jpg

I wonder when this technological upgrade took place, since it's the first time we see it.

Aazealh said:
I wonder when this technological upgrade took place, since it's the first time we see it.

Now i might have missed this, but did we actually see Guts reload his cannon after he had the Dragon Slayer reforged?
Rickert did a lot of work on his equipment back then, this new type of ammo could have been part of it.
If not, than the only possible time i can think of is the time spent on the Sea Horse. Surely some crew members knew a thing or two about cannons.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gaahl said:
did we actually see Guts reload his cannon after he had the Dragon Slayer reforged?

Nope.

Gaahl said:
Rickert did a lot of work on his equipment back then, this new type of ammo could have been part of it.

Well the problem with that idea is the fact we never saw them before, not even when we got a peek at the contents of Guts' bag in volumes 21 and 26. But they could have been hidden below the rest, so it's not impossible. It just seems a little odd that Miura would have kept it secret for so long.

hum... if I remember right, when they were at the beach, Serpico did some job on Guts' mechanical arm, vol 27.

Edit: Vol. 27, ep. 236
Serpico - Well, for now, I've fixed up adjusting your equipment. I've changed the layout to make it more easier to use

Guts - This is great, you're quite skillful
He said he only changed the layout, but we never know. Picolin likes hidden skills :iva:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lara Skadi said:
hum... if I remember right, when they were at the beach, Serpico did some job on Guts' mechanical arm, vol 27.

He said he only changed the layout, but we never know. Picolin likes hidden skills :iva:

Yeah I think it only refers to the layout of the bags, throwing knives and so on.

Well, a good amount of time passed on the ship... maybe they have some sort of munitions officer that worked with him during the downtime.

:???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
Well, a good amount of time passed on the ship... maybe they have some sort of munitions officer that worked with him during the downtime.

:???:

I thought of this as well, but the Sea Horse uses round shots for its cannons, so why would they modify Guts' ammo and not their own?

...I have the feeling this issue is going to require much pondering. :SK:

If I look closer at the image... I don't really think that's a cartridge, but rather just a bag. If you look closer you can see the swab behind the ball. The angle looks rather weird.

But yeah, still could be compacted gunpowder in a paper shell or something.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
mysteltainn said:
If I look closer at the image... I don't really think that's a cartridge, but rather just a bag. If you look closer you can see the swab behind the ball. The angle looks rather weird.

But yeah, still could be compacted gunpowder in a paper shell or something.

Well you can indeed see the ramrod behind the cartridge, but I don't see how it can look like a bag to you. It's cylindrical in shape and seems solid enough to not be deformed while Guts is grabbing it in the heat of the moment. Besides like I said it has a sabot if you look closely, so I'm pretty confident it's a cartridge of some sort. I don't see anything weird with the angle either.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Basically this cartridge thing is quite weird, especially with regards to the chronology.

A clue for a possible cannon maintenance is that the artificial arm was bandaged. So if Guts devised a new kind of "shell" it'd be before episode 287, since I'd argue that after the incident with Casca, Guts would have not thought of ways to upgrade the arm that couldn't grab the person he loves. But on the other hand it's uncertain that he was trying new ammo before the bandaging, especially since he was still recovering from his injuries.

Top Bottom