Episode 317

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
I also liked the episode and got a glance when Schierke is on Guts back and the armor is coming off from his arms, I thought that was pretty cool to see how the process in coming off is.

It's not the first time we see it actually, it had already been shown in volume 31, when Ganishka struck him with lightning.

Gobolatula said:
Another great moment was when Guts looked at Farny before she was getting ready to cast the spell. Her face was determined yet nervous.

And he gave his approval. They're really like a family. :guts:

Sarcomere said:
I find it really interesting that Farnese has legs in her astral form... I don't recall that happening before on her or Schierke (other than when she's first.. drawing.. her astral body).

That's because Schierke wears a robe, so her legs are hidden. Farnese was wearing a long robe the last time she went out in her astral form and we didn't see her legs either.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
That's because Schierke wears a robe, so her legs are hidden. Farnese was wearing a long robe the last time she went out in her astral form and we didn't see her legs either.

Damn it, beaten to the punch. I have to say, I like this look better, less like laundry on a clothesline. =)

I wonder if there's a purpose to it though, like simplifying the drawing of your astral image or something. Considering the student isn't doing it herethough, I'm probably over-thinking this.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
cryo said:
may be just me, but guts looks very similar to Dolph Lundgren in some panels this episode
Yeah I think so too. I googled some shots of him and you can find some pretty similar stuff, even the hair. Something about his facial structure, the jaw and the mouth.

Episode was awesome. I love all the dialogue. Incoming awesome, I just know it.

These last couple of episodes are a fantastic way to start volume 36 and you can tell something immensely big is about to kick off, everything in this episode was fantastic. One of my more favourite shots was when Guts' eyes met with the moonlight boy, by the expression on Guts' face you get the feeling like Guts might instinctively know something and isn't quite sure whether or not to trust him. It also appears to me in that shot, the moonlight boy has some characteristics of both Casca and Griffith, but I can't quite place my finger on what they are.

geo jee

"Almost black..slightly white swordsman."
What made this episode quite solid is the amount of development in the relationships between Guts-Schierke (thanking her and speaking in an honorable manner), Guts-farnese (giving her an approval to complete the ritual with Schierke like Aaz said they are becoming a family), and Guts-moonlight boy (that we haven't seen since volume 28). it's just awesome how Miura keeps surprising us :void:.

What I am concerned about is the last time we saw developments like this was before everything collapsed so something wicked and great is coming our way... :femto:

And I forgot, Thanks Aaz for the summary.

JezzaX said:
It also appears to me in that shot, the moonlight boy has some characteristics of both Casca and Griffith, but I can't quite place my finger on what they are.
The shampoo ad hair? :serpico:
But anyway, absolutely loved the episode. Everything about it.
Oh, and thanks for the summary, Aaz!

Amaaaazing episode, thanks for the summary Aazealh! :ubik: Gotta love all that character interaction. I hope the moonlight boy sticks around for a while.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I wonder if there's a purpose to it though, like simplifying the drawing of your astral image or something. Considering the student isn't doing it herethough, I'm probably over-thinking this.

Well it's possible it makes it easier or helps the user to relax, even if it's not mandatory.

JezzaX said:
It also appears to me in that shot, the moonlight boy has some characteristics of both Casca and Griffith, but I can't quite place my finger on what they are.

The boy has long hair and is impassive? I don't think he particularly resembles Griffith myself (neither the hair, eyes, mouth or shape of the face), but there's clearly a lot of Casca and even a little of Guts in him (he reminds me a bit of the way Guts looked as a child).

While we're on that topic, Schierke's remark about not sensing any hostility from him this time around may be very important down the line. It could even mean that the fusion of the astral and the material worlds had an effect on him.

Aazealh said:
The boy has long hair and is impassive? I don't think he particularly resembles Griffith myself (neither the hair, eyes, mouth or shape of the face), but there's clearly a lot of Casca and even a little of Guts in him (he reminds me a bit of the way Guts looked as a child).

While reading the episode I had similar thoughts. The eyes, hair and eyebrows are very much like Casca, while the skin tone is like Guts. I guess it's true that boys take after their mothers. I'm not really seeing too much young Guts.. but I suppose that's because there aren't a lot of shots of Guts as a child with a neutral or happy expression. Closest thing I can find is volume 3, at the end when he's applying the medicine to his nose wound. Just as he sits down on the tree trunk.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
I'm not really seeing too much young Guts.. but I suppose that's because there aren't a lot of shots of Guts as a child with a neutral or happy expression.

I think their jawline and cheeks look similar, but it's not conclusive or anything. They're also similar to Casca's.

Oh well, nothing a good haircut couldn't fix. :void:

MoonlightBoy-Haircut.jpg

geo jee

While we're on that topic, Schierke's remark about not sensing any hostility from him this time around may be very important down the line. It could even mean that the fusion of the astral and the material worlds had an effect on him.

yeah, I was wondering what that meant, will he stay permanently now with them or will he disappear again. I hope he stays and we could get some great Father-son developments and will we see Zodd again?

but for now, I am focused on how will Guts face the Sea God with Schierke in astral form with him, and I am afraid some God Hand might resurface again :slan:, other than that it's going to be EPIC.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
geo jee said:
yeah, I was wondering what that meant, will he stay permanently now with them or will he disappear again.
How do those two things relate?

but for now, I am focused on how will Guts face the Sea God with Schierke in astral form with him, and I am afraid some God Hand might resurface again :slan:, other than that it's going to be EPIC.
Do you really expect Slan to show up?

geo jee

first, now that the fusion might have had an effect on him, His presence in the material world could be more than just on moonlight nights, it could be a huge development, that's all.

and as for Slan, ever since she said to Guts that they would meet again, and now the merging of the worlds, and even right there they are going into the Sea God cave, it's a perfect chance for her to bless us with a visit even if she didn't, someone had to hope :judo:.

geo jee said:
first, now that the fusion might have had an effect on him, His presence in the material world could be more than just on moonlight nights, it could be a huge development, that's all.

Has he appeared to this date, outside of a full moon?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
geo jee said:

He just appeared out of nowhere in front of the group on a full moon night, with the title of the episode being "full moon". I'm going to go ahead and say that the fusion of the worlds hasn't affected his relation to the moon.

geo jee said:
and as for Slan, ever since she said to Guts that they would meet again, and now the merging of the worlds, and even right there they are going into the Sea God cave, it's a perfect chance for her to bless us with a visit

And what is supposed to tie the Sea God's cave to Slan exactly? Unless she's the Sea God herself, it seems highly improbable that she'd show up there.

geo jee

OK OK, I get you all, it's true we haven't seen him outside of a fullmoon night, but the fusion of worlds could actually help us see or get to know him more, that's only my speculation. :???:

As for Slan, it's just a mere hint that with the fusion and all, and Guts facing the Sea God (which is apparently not Slan), we might see her again as she did in Volume 26, which I really hope won't happen now (As we all know what happened last time).

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
geo jee said:
As for Slan, it's just a mere hint that with the fusion and all, and Guts facing the Sea God (which is apparently not Slan), we might see her again as she did in Volume 26, which I really hope won't happen now (As we all know what happened last time).

Except she wouldn't need to manifest herself with troll intestines since the world has changed. I don't think Slan is the Sea God. But it's very possible Skull Knight is Void. Or Guts is the moonlight boy! Just jesting! Promise. :slan:

I'd be surprised if the following episodes lead to an encounter with the God Hand. But neither do I see Guts just killing the thing and saying "Kay!...lets to back to Elfhelm!"

geo jee said:

I think it would be very difficult to accurately predict a God Hand appearance at this time. Personally I doubt it'll happen. But I didn't think Slan would appear at the Qliphoth, so who knows. This may be wrong but I recall something along the lines of God Hand members only appearing at moments or places were there's a concentration of evil or a certain event. Like the great number of plague rats when (Conrad, I think) appeared, or the pagan orgy. (granted, this was all before Ganishka met his demise)

With the current events, the only impression I'm getting is that they're going to take down a massive mythical like beast now that these kinds of creatures have appeared around the world. But the Sea god, judging by the physical appearances we've seen of it, the tentacles, bigger tentacles, slugs. And some of its more interesting abilities its demonstrated. It's certainly not like any mythical creature I've ever heard of. (+1 to Miura for creating something so unorthodox)It's all kind of mind boggling as to what this thing will really look like. And I'm going to throw this out there right now; imo this will no doubt be a preternatural event even in the world of Berserk.

An analyzation of the Sea god and the current circumstances don't suggest a GH relation.
The Ghost ship was deterred by daylight. The sole survivor was protected by a talisman on her home, the Sea god according to her, only comes out at the full moon and although there was a legend concerning the Sea God, the first real evidence of the Sea God's presence occurred after Ganishka's seams burst, there's a full moon event going on known as the rebirth ceremony. The Sea God has some kind of an ability that can turn people into tentacles and sort of back again, which is kind of like how some apostles can create Quasi-apostles, except these are all still a part of the Sea Gods body. Most interesting portion of all that is that the human tentacles can speak and even demonstrate tendencies of their old selves.
Most of these aspects aren't of any use, and I'd simply call the Sea God a very unique creature from the spiritual world.
Geo Jee, you did mention that the Sea God is "apparently" not Slan, and I think it's quite safe to assume that they're unrelated. Schierke has been aware of the presence of the Sea God for some time. Just compare her awareness of it with her reaction to when Slan appeared at the Qliphoth. Or look at how Casca and Guts aren't in extreme pain from their brands. (though something has happened to the brand) When Slan appeared, both Puck and Ivalera felt anxious and uneasy. That's just how oppressive and disturbing here presence was to anyone with a tie to the spiritual world.

The location itself is probably the best evidence that suggests to the contrary of a GH appearance, since unlike the Qliphoth, the layer of the Sea God hasn't been emphasized as being something special. When Slan appeared at the Qliphoth, the trolls, ogres and other creatures were less than indicative that it would happen. And the Sea God may be the same. But the Qliphoth itself was an extraordinary place.

(On a note that's not really related.. the icon/statue of the Sea God in the village, for reasons that I can't really put my fingers on, reminded me of the Idea of Evil. Can't really say why though. Did the idea of evil cross anyone else's mind when Schierke started talking about this ancient god?)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
This may be wrong but I recall something along the lines of God Hand members only appearing at moments or places were there's a concentration of evil or a certain event. Like the great number of plague rats when (Conrad, I think) appeared, or the pagan orgy. (granted, this was all before Ganishka met his demise)

Yeah it's wrong in the way you're saying it, and doubly so in the present context since as you mentioned the merging of the worlds has affected the God Hand in ways we cannot yet assess.

Ramen4ever said:
the Sea god according to her, only comes out at the full moon and although there was a legend concerning the Sea God, the first real evidence of the Sea God's presence occurred after Ganishka's seams burst

That's not what Isma said. The Sea God's power is so great that even after its defeat at the hand of the Merrows, its minions used to attack ships and such when the full moon drew near. That was before the worlds merged. After the merging, enough of its power came back that the slugs were able to kill all the villagers and turn them into tentacles, as well as to go hunt for ships relatively far away from the island (which is how the pirates died). And still now it's stirring, trying to (and about to) fully come back.

Ramen4ever said:
The Sea God has some kind of an ability that can turn people into tentacles and sort of back again

To put it simply: humans are digested to create tentacles and the tentacles can mimic their former selves (probably to act as lures).

Ramen4ever said:
which is kind of like how some apostles can create Quasi-apostles, except these are all still a part of the Sea Gods body. Most interesting portion of all that is that the human tentacles can speak and even demonstrate tendencies of their old selves.

"Kind of" indeed. And remember that the process differs from apostle to apostle. That being said, most if not all quasi-apostles in the series retained some of their former selves to an extent.

Ramen4ever said:
Schierke has been aware of the presence of the Sea God for some time. Just compare her awareness of it with her reaction to when Slan appeared at the Qliphoth. Or look at how Casca and Guts aren't in extreme pain from their brands. (though something has happened to the brand) When Slan appeared, both Puck and Ivalera felt anxious and uneasy. That's just how oppressive and disturbing here presence was to anyone with a tie to the spiritual world.

To mitigate what you're say a bit, don't forget that they were pretty close to Slan at the time while the Sea God is supposedly buried deep down under the island and is in a diminished state. And Schierke felt it before they even set foot in the place, so that hints at a pretty big power, if anyone still needed proof. So regardless of what it is, if one thing is clear it's that the Sea God is no pushover.

Ramen4ever said:
The location itself is probably the best evidence that suggests to the contrary of a GH appearance, since unlike the Qliphoth, the layer of the Sea God hasn't been emphasized as being something special.

What the hell are you talking about? The Qliphoth was a territory within the astral world, not a layer. And we don't know anything about the Sea God's lair right now. For all we know the scenery might change as our heroes will venture into the cave, bringing them deeper into the astral world. Maybe into a special territory like the Qliphoth was. That is, assuming the merging of the worlds didn't make these notions obsolete.

Ramen4ever said:
(On a note that's not really related.. the icon/statue of the Sea God in the village, for reasons that I can't really put my fingers on, reminded me of the Idea of Evil. Can't really say why though. Did the idea of evil cross anyone else's mind when Schierke started talking about this ancient god?)

No. I have no idea how you could be reminded of it.

Top Bottom