Episode 320

!!!

RELAX?!?!! :mozgus: This is clearly Miura outright COPYING Warcraft!!!!! How do you expect me to be calm!!!!! *end sarcasm*

I don't think anyone was getting too bent out of shape at your post Yesmilord :p

Not saying there are some copyrights in question, but tbh I think it would be foolish to say that there isn't any Lovecraftian influence in Berserk. It's definitely there amongst a multitude of other influences, so something like this isn't too surprising and I think a good portion of people probably caught it already.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
yesmilord said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned before (and it's not really relevant), but I thought I'd share a World of Warcraft resemblance :troll:

Not much of a resemblance aside from the big toothy mouth.

bmtrocks said:
Not saying there are some copyrights in question, but tbh I think it would be foolish to say that there isn't any Lovecraftian influence in Berserk. It's definitely there amongst a multitude of other influences, so something like this isn't too surprising and I think a good portion of people probably caught it already.

Actually I'd say there's little to no Lovecraftian influence in Berserk save for the clear homage present throughout the events that are currently taking place.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
deamonsonfire said:
Theres def. some influence, not a lot (minus now), I def have gotten a lovecraft-esq vibe from berserk before.

Such as what? A "vibe" isn't much.

Aazealh said:
Actually I'd say there's little to no Lovecraftian influence in Berserk....

There are at least two major themes that I have noted Lovecraft's fiction and the Berserk universe sharing in common. One, is the very concept of sheer insignificance and feebleness of the human race (as well as the human life itself having little to no worth) in the face of greater cosmic entities or events. The great Old Ones, Outer and Elder Gods and the awakenings of such monstrous deities, in the case of Cthulhu mythos. And the Idea of Evil, God Hand, the 4 elemental Kings and also the Eclipse and Incarnation ceremonies, in the case of Berserk.
And another theme would be the exploration of fate and causality, and how some humans try to change, defy or escape the certain predestined paths in life that had been imposed upon them by supernatural forces beyond mortals' control.

Of course, these things could just be a coincidence. After all, in none of the handful of interviews that he'd given, has Miura either mentioned whether or not he had been inspired by Lovecraft nor was he asked about it.
But even then, it's still interesting to pick up on such similarities. And also, considering the penetrating and far reaching influence that Lovecraft has had on the horror genre (hell, he practically redefined it), I wouldn't be surprised if Miura were to publicly admit being his fan.

Aazealh said:
...save for the clear homage present throughout the events that are currently taking place.

Of course :)
After reading through Lovecraft's short story "The Call of Cthulhu" and the past 10 Berserk episodes, one can easily notice the somewhat similar manner in which both Sea God and Cthulhu are presented and depicted by their respective authors. Both of them are at first introduced in their respective stories as statues that are worshiped as idols by a cult. Then, both Miura and Lovecraft take their time showing the reader the clues that hint at and reveal each of their respective sea dwelling entities' horrible power, and buildup the suspense. And then, it all climaxes with the monsters themselves finally appearing and showing their faces.

EDIT: For those who're curious and/or haven't read "The Call of Cthulhu"
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cc.asp

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
There are at least two major themes that I have noted Lovecraft's fiction and the Berserk universe sharing in common. One, is the very concept of sheer insignificance and feebleness of the human race (as well as the human life itself having little to no worth) in the face of greater cosmic entities or events.

Uh, that's nice but those themes are shared by a lot of stories. And really, Guts' tale is hardly one of feebleness and insignificance in the face of "cosmic" events, more like the other way around. It shows even in the treatment of the current events, with him boldly dashing into the Sea God's mouth, not afraid and barely even impressed.

Señor Caudillo said:
Reincarnation ceremonies

You mean the Incarnation ceremony.

Señor Caudillo said:
And another theme would be the exploration of fate and causality, and how some humans try to change, defy or escape the the certain predestined paths in life that had been imposed upon them by supernatural forces beyond mortals' control.

Same as above. That's present in so many myths, legends and folklore that it'd take days just to list them. See "Oedipus Rex" for example. And aside from that I don't think that theme is prominent in Lovecraft's work at all anyway. I would rather summarize his style as "there are things the majority of men ignore and that are better left unknown, for mankind cannot deal with them."

Señor Caudillo said:
After reading through Lovecraft's short story "The Call of Cthulhu" and the past 10 Berserk episodes, one can easily notice the somewhat similar manner in which both Sea God and Cthulhu are presented and depicted by their respective authors. Both of them are at first introduced in their respective stories as statues that are worshiped as idols by a cult. Then, both Miura and Lovecraft take their time showing the reader the clues that hint at and reveal each of their respective sea dwelling entities' horrible power, and buildup the suspense.

Really, the references are obvious and numerous and do not just concern a single one of Lovecraft's stories.

Bread Pak

I'm a llama!
Hi, I have a little question about a baloon while Guts is inside Sea God:

"THERE'S STILL SOME LIGHT SHINING EVEN INSIDE THIS. I Think squids can do that, right?"

Is always Guts to talk? (in italian edition is that)
I ask that because second part seem words of Schierke.

Sorry for my english so bad :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bread Pak said:
"THERE'S STILL SOME LIGHT SHINING EVEN INSIDE THIS. I Think squids can do that, right?"

Is always Guts to talk? (in italian edition is that)
I ask that because second part seem words of Schierke.

It's Guts speaking. And the exact lines are:

We can see a dim light even inside of the body.
I didn't know squids were like that...

Top Bottom