Episode 324

Awww Isma is adorable! Her Merrow form and attitude while in it is too cute....but curious....how old is she supposed to be again?? Not that that sort of thing bothers me but I don't think we have ever had such a young character "flopping around" topless like that lol.
 

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Thanks for those images Aaz. Even Isma seems surprised at the appearance of her tail. Go merrow power, help Guts.


Draculoid said:
Not that that sort of thing bothers me but I don't think we have ever had such a young character "flopping around" topless like that lol.
I think you forgot Roshine.
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
Awww Isma is adorable! Her Merrow form and attitude while in it is too cute....but curious....how old is she supposed to be again?? Not that that sort of thing bothers me but I don't think we have ever had such a young character "flopping around" topless like that lol.
She's a teenager, we don't know more than that. We've had nudity for almost all ages though, including naked newborn Guts.
 
Very true, and Roshine completely slipped my mind! whoops. I was actually surprised at how Isidro didn't really react to her nudity and only to her tail. Was expecting nosebleeds and awkward faces abound.
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
I was actually surprised at how Isidro didn't really react to her nudity and only to her tail. Was expecting nosebleeds and awkward faces abound.
There's a time for everything. Dalliance can wait! :puck:

Besides, Guts has got the nosebleed covered. :troll:
 
Aazealh said:
There's also the fact that plain warriors would likely not be very successful against the Sea God unless there were many, many of them. Thing's huge and its "beard" in itself is a huge threat to humans and merrows alike.
That’s a great point, my friend. After I sent my post, I laughed at my expecting warriors to show up because I thought the exact same thing. Someone, even a Merrow, with just a sword or spear probably wouldn’t be able to inflict serious damage on the Sea God (of course, there are exceptions to the rule… :guts: ). :serpico:

Aazealh said:
As she leaves, Isma says that as a merrow, she has to fight the Sea God for her island.
Do you think this is the last time Guts’ crew will see Isma? It looks like she’s waving bye to them so I get the feeling this is the last time they’ll see her, but I’d hate for her to depart so… abruptly... considering all they’ve been through together. Of course, she’s probably excited about being with the Merrows, there’s no real reason to remain on the Sea Horse, and the looming evil god probably calls for a sense of urgency, but… Ok, I suppose it’d be weird for her to not leave so quickly. :serpico:

Maybe they’ll get lucky and she’ll wave to them as they sail off into the sunrise once the Sea God is dead.

Aazealh said:
She then tells what happened, mentioning how she pronounced her real name, but Ivalera chastizes her, telling her that elves or spirits have a real name that should never be told to a human. If they tell their real name to somebody, they'll be under his or her control, which is why it should never happen unless they really trust him/her.
It’s cool to see the two older spirits teaching the young’un how their world works. And Magnifico’s face while he’s eavesdropping is priceless. :ganishka:

On a semi-unrelated (and probably unimportant) note, I wonder if all Merrows are female. The two times we’ve seen them so far (when Isma is telling the story of the Sea God’s imprisonment and now), there have only been females swimming in the ocean. The only thing that hints at male Merrows is the statue Guts passed by on his way into the cave. But that’s assuming it’s a statue created by the Merrows, and it’s of a Merrow (and not, let’s say, a deity or just a general design common to their kind). I’m not saying the fact we’ve only seen female Merrows bothers me or anything. It’s just something potentially interesting that I’ve noticed.
 
Damn, Guts is hurting something terrible. :sad:

I don't think this is the last the crew will see of Isma. I think she'll either say goodbye to them after the Sea God is defeated or sail away with them to Elfhelm (though, I think the former is more likely).
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Piscator Solitarius said:
Do you think this is the last time Guts’ crew will see Isma? It looks like she’s waving bye to them so I get the feeling this is the last time they’ll see her, but I’d hate for her to depart so… abruptly...
Nah, she's saying something about how the merrows are going to battle the Sea God on that page. It's definitely not "Bye guys!"

I wonder why Iva appears to be scolding her earlier in the ep...

Rhombaad said:
Damn, Guts is hurting something terrible. :sad:
Yeah... such strange injuries, too. My first thought was that he's being affected by water pressure like someone who's deep underwater without proper equipment. Severe barotrauma maybe... among other things obviously. Like being bitten into by massive undersea monsters. Regardless, Guts is in a tough spot, to be sure. I just hope we see a little more of his situation in this ep than what the preview shows us. He's sort of been in a holding pattern with that heart for two episodes now.
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Piscator Solitarius said:
Do you think this is the last time Guts’ crew will see Isma? It looks like she’s waving bye to them so I get the feeling this is the last time they’ll see her, but I’d hate for her to depart so… abruptly... considering all they’ve been through together.
Nah. See what I said about it yesterday (reposting it below). Enjoy what we're seeing of her as much as you can, though.

Piscator Solitarius said:
And Magnifico’s face while he’s eavesdropping is priceless. :ganishka:
Same as the above, his listening isn't innocent!

Piscator Solitarius said:
On a semi-unrelated (and probably unimportant) note, I wonder if all Merrows are female. The two times we’ve seen them so far (when Isma is telling the story of the Sea God’s imprisonment and now), there have only been females swimming in the ocean.
Yeah I've been wondering the same. Guess we'll know soon enough.

Walter said:
I wonder why Iva appears to be scolding her earlier in the ep...
I already told you why yesterday! Because she was about to reveal her real name to everybody.



Aazealh said:
Looks like Guts really isn't doing well. Like I thought, the environment he's in is taking a huge toll on his body. Meanwhile Isma says that things are happening exactly like her father said (all the merrows arriving). She then tells what happened, mentioning how she pronounced her real name, but Ivalera chastizes her, telling her that elves or spirits have a real name that should never be told to a human. If they tell their real name to somebody, they'll be under his or her control, which is why it should never happen unless they really trust him/her. Notice how Magnifico tries to discretely hear Isma's name. :void:
 
Aazealh said:
Nah. See what I said about it yesterday (reposting it below). Enjoy what we're seeing of her as much as you can, though.
Ah ok, thank you for the clarification. I was just curious if the atmosphere is one of “I’m going to go kill the Sea God, I’ll be right back” or “I’m going to go kill the Sea God, thanks for the memories and have a great life.”

Aazealh said:
Same as the above, his listening isn't innocent!
Wow, I really misread Magnifico’s intent in that scene. I figured he was being more mischievous or comical than sinister. I apologize for my mistake.

And I apologize for the legion of questions. I hope I’m not being too annoying. I’m just very excited to see what happens next.
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Piscator Solitarius said:
Ah ok, thank you for the clarification. I was just curious if the atmosphere is one of “I’m going to go kill the Sea God, I’ll be right back” or “I’m going to go kill the Sea God, thanks for the memories and have a great life.”
Without seeing the full thing it's hard to tell for sure, but I think she'll come back for a true, meaningful farewell once the battle is over (especially with Isidro, for example telling him her real name, which would be a very strong display of trust). Of course that's assuming she'll survive. So far everything's going according to plan in the grand scheme of Isidro and Schierke's eventual romance. :idea:

Piscator Solitarius said:
Wow, I really misread Magnifico’s intent in that scene. I figured he was being more mischievous or comical than sinister. I apologize for my mistake.
Well it's not a complete mistake, as his sinister intentions are depicted in a comical way because of how goofy and pathetic he is. It's a recurring thing, for example see what happened when Puck overheard his plans for Elfhelm and subjugated him.



Piscator Solitarius said:
And I apologize for the legion of questions. I hope I’m not being too annoying. I’m just very excited to see what happens next.
Nah you're not annoying, why would you be? We're doing what we're supposed to here: talking about the episode.
 
Wow...so i definitely fell in love with Isma this episode, we should have a merrow Isma emoticon! :griffnotevil:

Guts looks like he's in rough shape, I mean he can't really move to slice it if all it has to do is look at him and concentrate or whatever to make him keel over like that. I would say the arm cannon is his best bet since it doesn't require much movement towards the heart. I think I've missed some of the more recent conversations about what conditions he's fighting under atmosphere wise, is firing the arm cannon feasible right now?
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm no expert of soundwaves, and air/water pressure, but I'm pretty sure Guts' injuries are related to the sound of the heartbeat that Guts mentioned earlier. On pages 14-15 the sound effect of a loud heartbeat is timed to the effect of that wave hitting Guts, then causing his injuries.

But at the bottom of page 15, it looks to me like Guts may have scored a hit, just before the scene transitions on page 16. He impales the creature that stepped between him and the heart, but the end of the DS is going somewhere beyond it, off page. Next episode might start with a wider shot of how that ended.

Also on page 16, there are seriously a LOT of merrows in the water!
 
I think he managed to at least nick the heart. Hopefully that's enough to cause a fatal arrythmia and heart attack :carcus:
 

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:
I'm no expert of soundwaves, and air/water pressure, but I'm pretty sure Guts' injuries are related to the sound of the heartbeat that Guts mentioned earlier. On pages 14-15 the sound effect of a loud heartbeat is timed to the effect of that wave hitting Guts, then causing his injuries.
Water pressure is when swimming underwater the deeper you go, the more weight of water you put in you body per square inch. It looks like here's air pressure, the beats of the heart sending massive waves and condensing the air particles. Making them be closer together and giving Guts that feeling he's underwater. So, all that pressure is squeezing him right now like a python and that's why blood is flowing out.
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The sailors say "the merrows are heading for the Sea God" and then "they're also comrades of that monster?". Which is why Isma says "I, as a merrow, am going to fight the Sea God". After she leaves Isidro urges Roderick: "It's not a cruise ship, is it? Do something...", prompting Roderick to order something like "approach the monster within firing range. Ignore the tentacles, care only about the surge..."

Griffith said:
I love pages 14 and 15, that's what it would look like if Guts
fought the Idea of Evil.
:guts: :idea:
Hahaha, I had the same thought actually. Might be a little wink from Miura in that regard, since I doubt the similarity escaped him.

Draculoid said:
Guts looks like he's in rough shape, I mean he can't really move to slice it if all it has to do is look at him and concentrate or whatever to make him keel over like that. I would say the arm cannon is his best bet since it doesn't require much movement towards the heart. I think I've missed some of the more recent conversations about what conditions he's fighting under atmosphere wise, is firing the arm cannon feasible right now?
It's hard to say for sure what would or wouldn't work here. But yeah, he's in a tight spot. It's kind of incredible actually to see that after all these years and all the enemies he's fought, Miura's still managing to up the ante for Guts without going overboard or denaturing the series.

Walter said:
I'm no expert of soundwaves, and air/water pressure, but I'm pretty sure Guts' injuries are related to the sound of the heartbeat that Guts mentioned earlier.
Yup.

Walter said:
Also on page 16, there are seriously a LOT of merrows in the water!
Yeah, hundreds at least.
 
On Page 11, in the shot where he's standing - you can see a few teeth that seem to have penetrated Guts' armor (stuck to his armor). Same with Page 12's first panel and the 3rd row has Guts' blood seeping through the holes made by those teeth! Exciting episode!
 

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I loved this episode. It really is a shame that there's a break. Looks like this battle is about to get insane.

I wonder if it's possible for Guts to reach the heart with his sword the way things are now. Is the force of the heart beating actually knocking him back a little? I think the merrows' attack will somehow open up an opportunity for Guts. I am not sure how, though.

Although the Sea Horse is clearly a great ship with a great captain, what can it do against that giant thing?? I think their efforts will be in conjunction with Isma and the merrow squad.

The battle has just begun. Unfortunately, I believe this is going to be another one of those fights where Guts is in critical condition afterwards. He is going to look like hell.
 

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Gobolatula said:
Is the force of the heart beating actually knocking him back a little?
Alot I would rather say, just look at the blood coming out :isidro:

I do think the merrows will aid Guts. Even some cannonballs from the Sea horse, but most of the damage is still going to be Guts.
 
Top Bottom