Episode 324

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I wonder if it's possible for Guts to reach the heart with his sword the way things are now. Is the force of the heart beating actually knocking him back a little? I think the merrows' attack will somehow open up an opportunity for Guts. I am not sure how, though.

If they somehow lull it, its heartbeat will slow down. :slan:

Gobolatula said:
Although the Sea Horse is clearly a great ship with a great captain, what can it do against that giant thing?? I think their efforts will be in conjunction with Isma and the merrow squad.

Of course, without that they'd be absolutely insignificant. And they might still just be moral support more than anything else anyway.

Gobolatula said:
The battle has just begun. Unfortunately, I believe this is going to be another one of those fights where Guts is in critical condition afterwards. He is going to look like hell.

Yeah, it's not looking too good so far... And it might rapidly get a lot worse.

Th3Branded0ne said:
I do think the merrows will aid Guts. Even some cannonballs from the Sea horse, but most of the damage is still going to be Guts.

The merrows and the Sea Horse will likely serve as a diversion of sorts, not doing much damage (if any) but allowing Guts enough leeway to kill the Sea God from the inside.

Great episode, as always. And do they mention at the end of the book when the series will resume, or is there only an announcement of a break with no given date of resumption?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
Great episode, as always. And do they mention at the end of the book when the series will resume, or is there only an announcement of a break with no given date of resumption?

It doesn't say anything, just "to be continued".

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I wonder if it's possible for Guts to reach the heart with his sword the way things are now. Is the force of the heart beating actually knocking him back a little?
The heart did knock him back a few times this episode, but I still maintain that Guts may have scored a hit against it at the end of the scene. Notice how the DS is just off-page after Guts thrusts through that monster.

324 guts stab1.jpg

A good cliffhanger to the fight between em ... right before the break! He did seem close enough, and he takes a huge leap forward and the DSlayer seems to have the reach. I'm going to go with - it still wasn't good enough to reach the heart >_>'

Aazealh said:
It doesn't say anything, just "to be continued".

So the episode 325 will be out in the next YA issue, on August 13, as expected?

Walter said:
The heart did knock him back a few times this episode, but I still maintain that Guts may have scored a hit against it at the end of the scene. Notice how the DS is just off-page after Guts thrusts through that monster.

324 guts stab1.jpg

Also another hint that Guts has indeed pricked Sea God's heart with DS, is the "eye" suddenly becoming bloodshot, with a burst of blood appearing around its iris in particular, whilst in the previous 2 pages (before the stabbing) that and other "heart's eyes" appeared to be fine. Such hemorrhaging of the eye's blood vessels commonly occurs when a person experiences a severe injury or a heart attack/stroke. So yeah, score 1 for Guts!! :guts:

With reference to the bloodshot eye - pages 10 and 13 have the same shading for the eye as the pic above. Also, the burst of blood around the iris is also visible in the other panels (to me at least!).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

I don't know man, I don't think that's conclusive. To me no hit is implied in that scene, and the eel would have been a bit away from the heart so transpiercing it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Señor Caudillo said:
So the episode 325 will be out in the next YA issue, on August 13, as expected?

I said there would be a break in the first post of this thread, didn't I? Then no, it won't be out in the next issue (which is coming out on August 12, by the way).

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:

For me, it feels as if Guts is about to get to the heart after piercing that other monster. The heart reacts just in time before the DS gets to him.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I don't know man, I don't think that's conclusive. To me no hit is implied in that scene, and the eel would have been a bit away from the heart so transpiercing it doesn't necessarily mean anything.
I don't think it's conclusive yet either, I just saw that last panel, and Guts' sudden thrusting, as a hint that he may have gone through the eel, seeing through the trick that stopped him the last time he charged toward it.

Th3Branded0ne said:
For me, it feels as if Guts is about to get to the heart after piercing that other monster. The heart reacts just in time before the DS gets to him.
Sure, but that's the obvious conclusion. I'm looking BEYOND :void:

IncantatioN said:
With reference to the bloodshot eye - pages 10 and 13 have the same shading for the eye as the pic above. Also, the burst of blood around the iris is also visible in the other panels (to me at least!).

No, on the preceding pages wherever the heart's eyes appear, they only have their blood vessels showing. As if displaying the Sea God's distress at the intruder (Guts) having gotten close to his heart. On page 15 however, those blood vessels in that eye are clearly hemorrhaged, with blood leaking into the eye's sclera (whites) and surrounding the iris. This is definitely a possible sign of physical trauma to the heart.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
This is definitely a sign of trauma to the heart.
I don't think we can practically compare normal physiology to a sea god.

I realize this is going against evidence that supports my own theory, but that's just the kinda guy I am. :azan:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
No, on the preceding pages wherever the heart's eyes appear, they only have their blood vessels showing. As if displaying the Sea God's distress at the intruder (Guts) having gotten close to his heart. On page 15 however, those blood vessels in that eye are clearly hemorrhaged, with blood leaking into the eye's sclera (whites) and surrounding the iris. This is definitely a possible sign of physical trauma to the heart.

You're wrong.

Very insane episode really... :isidro:

I didnt expect sound waves from heartbeat can be this powerful... Usually the ears will be deaf first before any physical damage can be done to the body (Does that mean guts has the possibility of going deaf?)

Also judging from the bloodshot eyes, am I right to assume that the heart actually intensify (or control) its heartbeat on purpose just to repel Guts away?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
I didnt expect sound waves from heartbeat can be this powerful... Usually the ears will be deaf first before any physical damage can be done to the body (Does that mean guts has the possibility of going deaf?)

He's bleeding from the ears, so it's safe to say his hearing will have been negatively impacted by the experience.

Smith said:
Also judging from the bloodshot eyes, am I right to assume that the heart actually intensify (or control) its heartbeat on purpose just to repel Guts away?

Seems to be the case to some extent.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So since it'll be a while before the next episode, I figure we might as well talk a bit more about what's happened so far. I find it interesting that Miura brought in the concept of Mana. Ingenious, too, since he took advantage of the fact "real name" is pronounced "mana" in Japanese. It seems to me more than ever that he's trying to make Berserk the ultimate fantasy story, with references from every myth, legend and other such origins of the genre in there.

Anyway, I wonder how that notion of Mana will be used later on. We're probably going to hear about it again in Elfhelm, and I wonder how the whole "having power over astral beings" thing will work out. Will Guts find astral allies in his battle against evil, like some have been speculating for a long time? Could it be used by some characters for nefarious purposes, like Ivalera warned? Was it how Daiba could control the Kundalini? Would it work on the God Hand? Imagine Guts yelling "FEMTO!" at Griffith, resulting in his transformation. :ubik:

Also, was I the only one to think that Puck's reaction to that information was as ambiguous as ever? It reminded me of his strange nonchalance when the group talked about the King of the Flower Storm in volume 28. Could be nothing, but...

That aside, it feels to me somehow that we're on the verge of an important development, not unlike what went down in volume 26. But I wonder what form it would take. A change for Guts maybe? Is there more to the Sea God than we've seen so far? What's with the eyes? And what will its final figure be from the outside? Not to mention that the Moonlight Boy is still around. Is he going to play a role in the battle? Going back to Guts, I wonder how badly wounded he'll be this time. I hope he gets off easy for once, though it doesn't really look like it's happening. But beyond that, I think the side effects of the armor (losing his senses) are going to get noticeably worse. A lot of questions hinge on the next few episodes.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Aazealh said:
Would it work on the God Hand? Imagine Guts yelling "FEMTO!" at Griffith, resulting in his transformation. :ubik:
I have always wanted to see Griffith "get exposed." I have also wanted to see his actual transformation process from his human form to demon form. The closest thing we get is from the lost episode.

Since the layers of the world have merged, things have definitely been quite interesting out at sea. At the end of volume 34 we're given a quick glance at these new fantastical things. Isma is great because she's a more close-up look at the inner workings of these strange beings. Yes, I am very happy about "mana" being part of the story now. I'm looking forward to how this plays out.

I could see Skullknight shedding some more light about how how true Names work with powerful astral beings like the God Hand, or even just ones like the Dragon we saw on the castle when the merging took place. Shierke will have something to say about this for sure as well.
However I don't see Guts and co. running around, reading Names from a long scroll of true names that was left in one of the elf kings chests.
Maybe the will go searching for just one particular :zodd:

That aside, I think Guts will be more injured than ever when this is over. The trip might even take it's toll on Shierke as well. There was speculation earlier about the crew ending up shipwrecked on Elfhelm and with the way things currently are, this is more likely than ever. Maybe the merrows will have to bring them to the island, or even SK himself. Come to think of it, Elfhelm is still far away as much as we can tell. It is highly likely that the Sea Horse won't make it out of this battle in one piece. Skullknight and his Sword might be the only way out, how knows what happens, when the Sea God dies. He could very well turn the entire ocean near it into a giant maelstrom.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, these certainly are exciting times!

I caught the term "mana" during my transcription of 323. I didn't think much of it before, but now in light of 324's translation, I see that it really is a new, named concept for the series. However, I wish we'd gotten a glimpse at how this all works. It's one thing to have Ivalera lecture Isma (and us) about it, and quite another to see the concept in action.

Forgive the quote-post, but there were three big posts to reply to... No easy way out!
Aazealh said:
I wonder how that notion of Mana will be used later on. We're probably going to hear about it again in Elfhelm, and I wonder how the whole "having power over astral beings" thing will work out. Will Guts find astral allies in his battle against evil, like some have been speculating for a long time? Could it be used by some characters for nefarious purposes, like Ivalera warned?
My first thought was that it would be used by citizens of Falconia, who could learn to control astral creatures that would otherwise be a threat. They could essentially seize control of them, using this, instead of a creature trusting someone enough to lend them their name/power.

Would it work on the God Hand? Imagine Guts yelling "FEMTO!" at Griffith, resulting in his transformation. :ubik:
I'm certainly not going to exclude that as a possibility, but I just don't think the God Hand are fundamentally the same as astral creatures, so I don't think the same rules apply. However, as always, what we don't know about the God Hand could fill a book. Whereas what we do know can barely fill a thread.

Also, was I the only one to think that Puck's reaction to that information was as ambiguous as ever? It reminded me of his strange nonchalance when the group talked about the King of the Flower Storm in volume 28. Could be nothing, but...
I hadn't even noticed that, but now that I look at it, it doesn't appear to me that he's playing coy. Though I'd be interested if there was some history between him and this concept of true names.

On a side note, my favorite reaction in this episode was, as always, Magnifico. :ear:

Gobolatula said:
I have also wanted to see his actual transformation process from his human form to demon form. The closest thing we get is from the lost episode.
Yeah, but I don't think that can apply in the way you mean. He was in the process of shaping his form in that scene.

Gaahl said:
I could see Skullknight shedding some more light about how how true Names work with powerful astral beings like the God Hand, or even just ones like the Dragon we saw on the castle when the merging took place. Schierke will have something to say about this for sure as well.
I don't think the Skull Knight necessarily needs to show up and weigh in on it, though that'd be nice. He's more of a master of riddles than he is a walking encyclopedia.

However I don't see Guts and co. running around, reading Names from a long scroll of true names that was left in one of the elf kings chests.
I don't see that either. But who says it has to play out as ridiculously as that? There are a huge number of ways this concept could be implemented in the future.

That aside, I think Guts will be more injured than ever when this is over. The trip might even take it's toll on Schierke as well.
But why? It's just her astral projection out there with Guts, and she's being guarded on the Sea Horse. Of course, everyone on board is in danger, but I don't see any reason to single Schierke out. I also think saying Guts will be "more injured than ever" is an exaggeration. He hasn't lost any limbs yet.

Skullknight and his Sword might be the only way out,
That doesn't sound very practical. We're talking about a huge crew of people here. Now that you mention it though, I wonder how effective that sword technique is now, with the state of the Berserk world...

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Walter said:
I don't think the Skull Knight necessarily needs to show up and weigh in on it, though that'd be nice. He's more of a master of riddles than he is a walking encyclopedia.

skullywafflesriddler.jpg

:troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Judging by advance previews of the next few YAs, no additional episodes of Berserk will be released in August. However, it's still unofficial, and as always it's subject to change.

Historically, over the past four years Miura has taken at least a 10-week (5 issue) break during this time of the year. But let's hope the series resumes before the release of Volume 36 on 9/23.

YA Release History (source: 2ch.net)
○=YA release with Berserk
x=YA release w/no Berserk

1993 ○○○○x○○○○○○○○○○○○○x○○○○○ 91.7%
1994 ○x○○○○○○○○x○○○○○○○○○○○○x 87.5%
1995 ○○○○○○○○○○x○○○○○○○○x○○○○ 91.7%
1996 ○○x○○○○○○○○○○x○○○○○○○○○○ 91.7%
1997 ○xxx○○○○x○○○○○○x○○○○○○○x 75.0%
1998 ○○○○○○○○○○○x○○x○○○○○○○○○ 91.7%
1999 ○○○○x○○○○○○x○○○○○○x○○○x○ 83.3%
2000 ○○○○○x○○○○○x○○○○○x○○○○○x 83.3%
2001 ○○○○x○○○○○○x○○○○x○○○○○x○ 83.3%
2002 ○○○x○○○○○○x○○○○○x○○○○○x○ 83.3%
2003 ○○○○x○○○○○x○○○○○○○○xx○○○ 83.3%
2004 x○○○x○○○○○○○○xxxx○○○○○○x 70.8%
2005 xx○○○x○○○x○○○x○○○○x○○○xx 66.6%
2006 ○○○○x○○○○x○○○x○○x○xxxxxx 58.3%
2007 x○○○○xx○○xxx○○○xx○○xx○○x 54.2%
2008 xxxx○○○xxx○○xxxxxxxx○○○○ 37.5%
2009 xxxxxxxx○○○○○xxxxx○○○xxx 33.3%
2010 xx○○○xxxxxxx○○○xxxxx○○○x 37.5%
2011 xxxxxxx○○○xx○○○x

The man seems to have become more insanely busy both with his work and outside his work I guess. I can't imagine the REAL dedication of hours he had to put in with the pace he was running 1993-2003. The man was on a roll to say the least. I think his style these days demands a lot more attention to detail these days at that. :serpico:

He takes aside a little more time to give with every year! :troll:

Top Bottom