Episode 327

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Very good news! I'm also wondering besides Azan as Griffith pointed out, if he might have the chance to encounter either one of the generals of the new band of the hawk. Maybe even see a younger version of Godot too.

This clip summarizes how I feel about this coming episode : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMMVvS_mmqE
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
Very good news! I'm also wondering besides Azan as Griffith pointed out, if he might have the chance to encounter either one of the generals of the new band of the hawk. Maybe even see a younger version of Godot too.
I don't think you guys should be getting too excited about cameo appearances. That's not how Miura has generally treated flashbacks, and I honestly think it would feel a little forced if we see other characters. If their stories are to be told, let them have their own story, not have it rolled into Guts' retroactively.
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
Proj2501 said:
It's interesting to think who bested Guts back in the day. Makes me actually chuckle at the Azan thought. :azan: Doubt it though as neither Guts or Azan recognizes one another during their first encounter. "Helmets Proj!" "Of course!"
Look at this way, Guts recognized the name "Azan" as the Bridge Knight almost immediately, Azan was seemingly impressed he knew of it, like personal trivia more than something he's widely known for on an everyday basis; furthermore, nobody else has referred to him that way. Also, when Guts recalled the story, he framed it personally by saying it happened when he was still a kid. So, is it just a popular warrior's tale all mercs know, or a more localized event Guts only knows about because he was within the proximity? Probably not, but it'll be fun to think about until June. =)

jackalj said:
I'm excited to see young guts in the new draw style/art, since it has been developed more since we last saw young guts.
Kind of looks like Isidro. Full circle.

Walter said:
I don't think you guys should be getting too excited about cameo appearances. That's not how Miura has generally treated flashbacks, and I honestly think it would feel a little forced if we see other characters.
You mean like the cameo of the Snake Baron, or the Snail Count, or how Puck had previously met both Judo AND Rickert; considering how rare it is for people to even be able to see elves, what are the odds of that? :iva:

Maybe Puck will be in there, like the flashback on Buffy when we find out Angel saw her when she was chosen and was there for her from the beginning and it completely changed how you perceived their dynamic! :troll:


Kidding aside, the reason I thought of Azan, besides whimsy, is because it actually would be relevant to the current group dynamic. In any case, I think we can all agree that those two need to talk shop and exchange stories.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
met both Judo AND Rickert; considering how rare it is for people to even be able to see elves, what are the odds of that? :iva:
The Golden Age is a 10-volume long flashback, so sure, plenty of cameos to do there. This is just three episodes, so I think a more valid comparison is something like "Snow, Flames and..."

I think we can all agree that those two need to talk shop and exchange stories.
Yep.
 
It'll be interesting to see what Miura shows us through Guts' childhood (Zodd really is Guts' father?
NO! I hope not. That would be just like countless other fantasy books/movies. I expect Miura to be more creative. :sad:
 

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Irvine said:
NO! I hope not. That would be just like countless other fantasy books/movies. I expect Miura to be more creative. :sad:
Oh, not that again. One of the worst theories ever.
 
What can I say that hasn't already been said? I figured we'd either jump back to Falconia or see Guts and company saying their goodbyes to Isma and the merrows, and sailing off to Elfhelm in the next episode. Color me excited! June 8 can't come soon enough!
 

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I'm guessing there will be a character telling him the importance of having companions and that he will get true strength from protecting them.
 
Johnstantine said:
I'm guessing there will be a character telling him the importance of having companions and that he will get true strength from protecting them.
Well /I'm/ guessing Guts will have a sword. :troll:
 

Death May Die

"That day you left, that's when I knew."
Very exciting! I don't know what it could be. If I had to guess, the picture makes wonder if it could be how Guts generally came to hear of the Band of the Hawk. Maybe he was captured/imprisoned and a Hawk raid indirectly led to his escape/freedom. The hard irony being Griffith once again was the reason Guts ultimately survived. I can't wait to see what it could be! :???:
 
Th3Branded0ne said:
Very good news! I'm also wondering besides Azan as Griffith pointed out, if he might have the chance to encounter either one of the generals of the new band of the hawk. Maybe even see a younger version of Godot too.
I not sure about Godo making cameo appearance, he could be playing a big role in the main plot of the flash back as well, don't you people ever wondered how Guts met Godo and get acquainted with him?


Hopefully this flashback will also shed some light on Guts fetish for big sword. :ganishka:
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
I not sure about Godo making cameo appearance, he could be playing a big role in the main plot of the flash back as well, don't you people ever wondered how Guts met Godo and get acquainted with him?
I don't think we need to have all these cameo appearances to make it a good episode. I think it would actually cheapen the flashback if there were as many as people have been clamoring for in this thread.

Hopefully this flashback will also shed some light on Guts fetish for big sword. :ganishka:
We already know why he wanted to use big swords. It's established in volume 3.
 
Walter said:
We already know why he wanted to use big swords. It's established in volume 3.
You sure you don't mean volume 4? (kendoll.jpg :troll:)



Maybe its just me, but after such a long break in the story due to non releases, to have a break in the story for a flashback seems a bit...

Regardless, some berserk is better then none.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
daiceman9 said:
You sure you don't mean volume 4? (kendoll.jpg :troll:)
No, I mean volume 3: (image 1) (image 2) Not sure I get the Ken Doll joke?

Maybe its just me, but after such a long break in the story due to non releases, to have a break in the story for a flashback seems a bit...

Regardless, some berserk is better then none.
That's a pretty short-sighted attitude to take in light of the full scope of the series.
 
Walter said:
No, I mean volume 3: (image 1) (image 2) Not sure I get the Ken Doll joke?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWXNEmzOz8o&t=3m29s

Gives you the idea, the flashback after he fights Griffith the first time has him nude in his dream and most of the frontal shots of him are missing his johnson, not that I'm complaining (watchmen I'm looking at you, or rather not looking)


Walter said:
That's a pretty short-sighted attitude to take in light of the full scope of the series.
Of course it is, its the same reason some people say "the story went downhill after X" when X usually sometime after they caught up with the volumes and started reading episodes (sigh i hate calling them that). I'm not talking about the people who say it went downhill after golden age, those people are mostly those who prefer low fantasy (here there be dragons) to high fantasy (dragons be here).

Its just hard to appreciate something that seemingly is taking away from the action (obviously not like a shonen battle manga that does it mid fight). Obviously its going to be vital to the story, Miura has proven that time and time again he's a good story teller, its just hard to see the forest when I'm so damn close to this tree that is Elfhelm.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
daiceman9 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWXNEmzOz8o&t=3m29s

Gives you the idea, the flashback after he fights Griffith the first time has him nude in his dream and most of the frontal shots of him are missing his johnson, not that I'm complaining (watchmen I'm looking at you, or rather not looking)
Ah. Berserk abridged. How could I have missed that "joke" :schierke:

daiceman9 said:
... usually sometime after they caught up with the volumes and started reading episodes (sigh i hate calling them that).
Well, it's the correct terminology. The series is broken down into different segments (Arcs / Chapters / Episodes). Otherwise you'd be saying something like "Berserk: Lost Children Chapter: Chapter 100." And that's just gross.

Besides, they aren't true chapters. A chapter in any other work generally denotes a distinct portion within a larger story, and they often can stand by themselves. Berserk episodes aren't that. They're divided into these small, 20-page releases due to the serialized nature of the publication. So it makes sense that Miura has created sub-sections within the story called Chapters.

Its just hard to appreciate something that seemingly is taking away from the action (obviously not like a shonen battle manga that does it mid fight). Obviously its going to be vital to the story, Miura has proven that time and time again he's a good story teller, its just hard to see the forest when I'm so damn close to this tree that is Elfhelm.
Some of us, myself included, have been waiting for Elfhelm episode by episode since the journey there first began, back in 2001. A few more months doesn't bother me, particularly since we're getting a very unexpected glimpse at Guts childhood. It almost feels like a gift, honestly. A look back on a simpler time, like Aaz said in this week's podcast. I think Miura could really astound us with this.
 
Top Bottom