Episode 331

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Arles said:
Though it must be really painful for Guts not only to remember that, but to recall the Eclipse as well... The way he grabs his face after thinking about all that shows it perfectly.

Yup, and it's also a take back to the similar scene in the cave from volume 17. In fact many things in this episode seem to serve among other things the purpose of reminding and summarizing to the reader several plot lines that will be coming together (and perhaps be resolved) in Elfhelm.

Aazealh said:
In fact many things in this episode seem to serve among other things the purpose of reminding and summarizing to the reader several plot lines that will be coming together (and perhaps be resolved) in Elfhelm.

Hmmm, that's a good way to put it. I can imagine Miura and/or the editors taking all that into account (not only all the major events that have happened since then, but also the fact that several years have passed since the original serialization of both "sane Caska" and the Eclipse) when putting together and planning some scenes. Even though one can only guess, I think it doesn't sound far fetched at all.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Arles said:
Hmmm, that's a good way to put it. I can imagine Miura and/or the editors taking all that into account (not only all the major events that have happened since then, but also the fact that several years have passed since the original serialization of both "sane Casca" and the Eclipse) when putting together and planning some scenes. Even though one can only guess, I think it doesn't sound far fetched at all.

Oh I'm quite certain Miura had it in mind when he created this episode (to my knowledge the editor doesn't have any say in such matters).

Aazealh said:
(to my knowledge the editor doesn't have any say in such matters).
I really don't know how Young Animal manages the relationships between mangakas and editors, but in other magazines they sometimes can make suggestions about pacing, panel distribution or overall storytelling.
But as I said, I'm not really sure how they work with Mr. Miura, so I have no real information to make a bold statement about it.

I'm sure you know more about it than I do.

I found a translation to Spanish, so I'm wondering if a can translate to English for you all (giving credits, of course)? Or there is no need?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Giovanna said:
I found a translation to Spanish, so I'm wondering if a can translate to English for you all (giving credits, of course)? Or there is no need?
We have a translation in progress, but you're welcome to post your own in the appropriate section of the forum. Though I imagine going through 2 languages might make it a little... rough?

Walter said:
We have a translation in progress, but you're welcome to post your own in the appropriate section of the forum. Though I imagine going through 2 languages might make it a little... rough?

Sorry, but I can't find the appropriate section anywhere. Help, please?

Not quite, Spanish is very similar to Portuguese, my main language. But, even with mistakes, maybe it will help a little for a better translation from you guys ;] I already finished it, by the way.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Based on her actions in this episode, I wonder if Farnese will end up attempting to interfere with Guts and Casca's relationship when things get more complicated in Elfhelm. There's been growing tension there for a while for her (see volume 33), but it never really occurred to me that she might become a monkey in the gears until this episode, when she makes up an excuse for Guts to keep his distance from Casca.

Still, I'd like to think she'll be able to rise above her personal feelings. :farnese:

Well Farnese really did surprise me with that,though Guts expression seemed a bit off,like he knew it wasnt that.
I hope someone can tell me why Puck and Evarella were worn out like that,only thing I didnt understood,maybe I should read latest episodes. Little guy being somehow connected to Elfhelm :troll: ,more new mysteries :sigh: .
I kinda wonder what will happen next,though we wont have to wait long for it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Based on her actions in this episode, I wonder if Farnese will end up attempting to interfere with Guts and Casca's relationship when things get more complicated in Elfhelm. There's been growing tension there for a while for her (see volume 33), but it never really occurred to me that she might become a monkey in the gears until this episode, when she makes up an excuse for Guts to keep his distance from Casca.

I'd almost like to see Casca making things clear to her. "MY MAN!" :iva:

Walter said:
Still, I'd like to think she'll be able to rise above her personal feelings. :farnese:

Ditto.

Lukis said:
I hope someone can tell me why Puck and Evarella were worn out like that,only thing I didnt understood,maybe I should read latest episodes.

They've just finished healing Guts from serious injuries, so they're spent. Nothing surprising about that. He sustained some big damage against the Sea God.

Aazealh said:
I'd almost like to see Casca making things clear to her. "MY MAN!" :iva:

or it could go the complete opposite where Casca sensed Farnese's feelings and backs away. It is a matter of time she gain enough confidence to say it out. Let's see.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
fenril said:
or it could go the complete opposite where Casca sensed Farnese's feelings and backs away. It is a matter of time she gain enough confidence to say it out. Let's see.
I highly doubt it.

It all depends on Casca's fighting spirit when she "wakes" up. Somehow I cannot imagine her to be on full fighting mode given what happened to her during the eclipse.
Most importantly what Gut's did to her. Psychologically biting female's breasts is a sign of hatred or annoyance. If she remembers that experience then it'll become interesting. IF the manga follows a Shoujo (it is hakusensha afterall) manga type of mentality on female characters it is possible that Casca will get a bit ashamed of herself. On the other hand Farnese is getting more aggressive.

Guts surely will need to leave Elfhelm in order to confront Griffith so either Griffith set fire to Elfhelm (cause it is full of witches and wizards that can potentially overthrow his kingdom) forcing the party to leave or it'll be the end of the manga. This makes staying there to be there for Casca an impossible development.

I am going to stop as it is getting off topic sorry.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fenril said:
Somehow I cannot imagine her to be on full fighting mode given what happened to her during the eclipse.

The point of her being cured is getting over that.

fenril said:
Most importantly what Guts did to her. Psychologically biting female's breasts is a sign of hatred or annoyance. If she remembers that experience then it'll become interesting.

If she remembers that, she might also remember the dozens of times he put his life on the line for her?

fenril said:
IF the manga follows a Shoujo (it is hakusensha afterall)

That's a really, reaaaally weak argument.

fenril said:
This makes staying there to be there for Casca an impossible development.

Now what if *get ready for craziness* Casca *gasp* accompanied Guts back and didn't just stay behind in Elfhelm?! I know, shocking. Reminds me of the time Guts said he'd never leave her again, the promise he's kept ever since despite his desire for revenge, as this episode just reminded us.

By the way, it's always been crystal clear that Guts has no romantic interest whatsoever in Farnese. We know who he wants and it's not like it'll be decided for him. Oh and Casca and him had a child together that regularly visits them as well. Not something they could easily put behind them either. Just sayin'.

HappyFamily.jpg

There was actually a famous article in Japan saying that berserk being a Shoujo manga.

Also, in Asian forums people have been *criticizing* the sudden change in style speculating this is due to pressure from hakusensha, which has a reputation for being the home of shoujo mangas. People were saying berserk suits being with Shueisha.

I wish I have the time to translate the articles they are really interesting.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fenril said:
There was actually a famous article in Japan saying that berserk being a Shoujo manga.

And? It's not a shoujo manga, famous article or not, I think everybody knows that. I can explain it to you with pictures and all if that's really needed, but then we'll need another thread.

fenril said:
Also, in Asian forums people have been *criticizing* the sudden change in style speculating this is due to pressure from hakusensha, which has a reputation for being the home of shoujo mangas. People were saying berserk suits being with Shueisha.

Well the people in question are quite obviously stupid, I guess? I'm not sure what I'm even supposed to reply to this (e.g. what change in style?). Hakusensha has published and still does publish a lot of non-shoujo titles. Notably in Young Animal. Are we really having this conversation?

well guess this is a cultural difference... The article was actually an interview between Miura and a famous manga analyst. Miura himself did not deny it when the interviewer suggested it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fenril said:
well guess this is a cultural difference... The article was actually an interview between Miura and a famous manga analyst. Miura himself did not deny it when the interviewer suggested it.

I know what interview you're talking about, and you're not conveying what was actually said accurately. In any case, Berserk isn't a shoujo manga. Again, why do I even have to say this? Also, stupid ideas and wacky theories about the evil, secret influence of the publishing company to "shoujo-ize" Berserk have nothing to do with cultural differences and everything to do with idiocy.

fenril said:

I don't agree with that at all. I think that's like saying a manga published in Ribon has shounen tendencies because the publisher is Shueisha, famous for their massive Weekly Shounen Jump.

In any case, I would say the changes in Berserk have happened because Miura thinks they are/have been necessary to communicate what he wants with Berserk, rather than a decision by the publisher.

On the whole shoujo thing, I have no idea what shoujo actually is. I googled it and it seems to be a word for a 7-20 year old girl in Japan. (If anybody can explain the word properly to me that would be great!)

And since Berserk has alot of blood/gore, nudity etc in it. I dont think you can describe it as shoujo...

Aazealh said:
Oh and Casca and him had a child together that regularly visits them as well. Not something they could easily put behind them either. Just sayin'.
Well thanks to this new episode it might not be Guts and Casca's child :iva:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackalj said:
On the whole shoujo thing, I have no idea what shoujo actually is. I googled it and it seems to be a word for a 7-20 year old girl in Japan. (If anybody can explain the word properly to me that would be great!)
Manga can be broken down into the demographics that series appeal to. They're often grouped in this way for the pre-published magazines they're printed in, and for marketing purposes.

Shōjo is manga that appeals to young girls. Its male counterpart is shōnen. Seinen is manga for older males.

That being said, they all have pretty general definitions. But like a supreme court judge once said: "I know it when I see it."

And since Berserk has alot of blood/gore, nudity etc in it. I dont think you can describe it as shoujo...
That's not what makes Berserk not Shōjo... It's the adult themes and ... fuck are we seriously having this fucking conversation?

Well thanks to this new episode it might not be Guts and Casca's child :iva:
Can't tell if you're being coy, but it's more likely that Schierke is wrong. It's discussed throughout this thread if you're interested.

jackalj said:
In Japan, manga magazines are often categorized according to the age and gender of the readers they aim at. As you said "shoujo" means "girl", so Shoujo magazines 99.9% of the time release manga destined to, well, girls.
This terms even name the magazines themselves, like "Weekly Shounen Jump", or "Shounen Sunday", or "Weekly Young Jump", or even the known by us "Young Animal".
The general categories are Shounen (Boys), Seinen (Young/Adult males), Shoujo (Girls) and Josei (Young/Adult females).

Saying Berserk is a Shoujo manga, in the end, is saying Berserk is a manga for girls.

EDIT: Oh, it seems Walter beat me to it. Well, this post may be deleted if needed.

Top Bottom