Episode 333

'Aazealh' said:
On another note, I love the shot of flourishing fields and trees heavy with fruit. Hints at a prodigal land versus the harsh wilderness the rest of the world has become/is becoming.

I always been really pleased when Miura portrays peasant/farmer, their daily routine, the way the react to the world in general. I really like his interpretation and it remind me obviously of Gustave Dore and all the classic fairy tales and the main folklore (things that fascinating me a lot).
I often wish we could learn a lot more about them (a entire episode would be neat). So all the current informations we get in this episode about Falconia VS the World and surely in the future will be even more delightful :ubik:

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
I wonder if they are passing out Beherit's at Falconia's entrance, Hawaii style. At first, I was considering that humans might feel threatened and paranoid, causing a influx of Beherit use. But I'm starting to think that seeing the Apostles prowess, then they might actually might want to transform in order to better serve Griffith. Though...that makes me wonder now, do people even need Beherits anymore? Aren't the God Hand part of this plane of existence now?

Wow Aazaelh, what a great theory. It gave me a lot to think about.
Aazealh said:
Especially considering how it came to be: Ganishka going "down there" and bringing back more evil power than he could contain. Not to mention that the kanji for "spiral" used here also means "helix". :slan:

Perhaps we should add the Beherit sword into the equation. Femto said that he was anticipating Skullknights attack, plus the sword has a direct connection to the idea since it´s made with beherits.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Are these wastelands now? I could picture Tudor as being devastated and having become the domain of Conrad, for example (the other members of the God Hand have got to be doing something, right?).

Holy shit can you imagine each of the Godhand dwelling in their own territory and each having their own "kingdom". With all the greatness and grandeur of Griffiths Falconia the thought of what Conrad's or Slan's kingdoms would look like are horrifying beyond comprehension. I can see Ubik's world being some twisted, sick version of Wonderland. Or Void... shit man. You thought Mozgus' torture chambers were bad?

I'm sure it won't be as simple as that, but like Aaz said, they got to be doing something.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Holy shit can you imagine each of the Godhand dwelling in their own territory and each having their own "kingdom". With all the greatness and grandeur of Griffiths Falconia the thought of what Conrad's or Slan's kingdoms would look like are horrifying beyond comprehension.
It's not farfetched... and it's also something we've talked about on the podcast on a few different occasions. That being said, I think "kingdom" is a misnomer. I imagine it'd be more like a domain or even region. I can't imagine they'd be running a castle town ya know...

As for what they might look like, well I mean, we saw the Qliphoth afterall, and saw a peek into each of the God Hand's affinities (sans Void) when they came into this world, and it all aligned with what had been hinted about them.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
What a fantastic episode! I enjoyed all the speculation on the podcast about where the series might go from here. Such an exciting time to be reading Berserk!

Wow, I just had a chance to see that the episode was out, and it really lives up to expectations. I've been into Berserk for about 12 years now, and the plot has become far more fleshed out than I could have imagined. Back then I imagined a climax with Griffith in his castle and Guts showing up for their final battle, you really can't say enough for how Miura has developed the series. Ever since seeing the 1st episode of the anime all those years ago, and hearing the Snake Baron as he incorrectly referenced "King Griffith", I've been waiting for this.

Anyway, my humble speculation is that Falconia may well be on the level of the Roman Empire and a parallel to Gaiseric's, rather than just a kingdom. I can't imagine that the people of neighboring states are going to deny Griffith if he extends his protection (and you know that can't sit will with Farnese' father). I'm not so sure that EVERY human is just going to side with Falconia, but rather we may see a peasant uprising or sorts. After all, who cares if you're subservient to Griffith or your rightful lord/king as long as you aren't eaten by monsters? AND if Griffith takes out the nobility who defy him and let their people be terrorized/devoured, doesn't that make him more the Falcon of Light before his true nature shows itself?

Wow, its probably because of the perspective change and all but this is the best episode in a long time IMHO. Felt so incredibly encouraging to see Rickert and Raban and the history boiling up within while reading. Totally dig those crystal wing stones, both the idea and the artistic aspect... I mean, just...WOW! Feels like Miura´s practically completely officially realized/established an entirely new fresh fantasy world/genre, thats hardly "news" though I know, but it REALLY shines in this episode. His genius never seizes to amaze me. Im in such fanboy mode its crazy :guts: For the first time in a long time Im eager as hell to read the next episode, y´know, in that weird craving irritating-yet-awesome way...lol kinda like a pain/pleasure :iva:

EDIT: Sorry if I mentioned stuff you already discussed, havent read through the thread yet, just read the episode so had to get that off my chest...

EDIT2:

Walter said:
...Perhaps that's one of the reason Griffith sought to eliminate her—she could have offered an alternative to his safe haven for humans.
Thats a nice theory, gotta say that seems very likely.

Oh yeah, regarding Rickert, considering the phobia-like reaction he obviously showed for just little ol' Puck (from the PTSD after his first encounter with Slug Count and Co.) I wouldnt be surprised if hes scared shitless in the presense of apostles now. Btw love you guys´ discussion about Rickert in general, indeed, hes a very interesting representation in the story atm.

I didnt see anyone else mention this in the topic though I may have missed it, but does anyone think that the tree branch in the moon that the Moonlight Child was standing on after parting with Guts group at sea might be one of the very same branches belonging to the world tree looming over Falconia? I havent done a direct comparison between the branches seen stretching across the moon or those of the world tree but Im just curious what other peoples thoughts are on the subject and what it would imply about the Moonlight Child

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
I didnt see anyone else mention this in the topic though I may have missed it, but does anyone think that the tree branch in the moon that the Moonlight Child was standing on after parting with Guts group at sea might be one of the very same branches belonging to the world tree looming over Falconia? I havent done a direct comparison between the branches seen stretching across the moon or those of the world tree but Im just curious what other peoples thoughts are on the subject and what it would imply about the Moonlight Child
Yeah it's been said a few times actually. Just not in this episode, because most of us called that back in ep 331.

Edit: Mentioned in the very first post of 331: (http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=13593.msg215153#msg215153)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wyrm said:
You guys really think it's possible that a huge sacrifice might be brewing or are just joking?

I don't believe the bad guys' masterplan involves a global "sacrifice" like what occurred during the Occultation ceremony, with branding and all. It wouldn't work on several levels as far as I'm concerned. That being said, the tale of Gaiseric's downfall sets a sort of precedent, so you can't just outright dismiss the idea.

Wyrm

HEMA
Could it be possible that the Idea of Evil just wants to exist independently of human emotion? And the sacrifice needed for that would be in the millions?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wyrm said:
Could it be possible that the Idea of Evil just wants to exist independently of human emotion?

Who says it doesn't? And why would it care?

Wyrm said:
And the sacrifice needed for that would be in the millions?

I don't think that's where the story's headed.

Wyrm

HEMA
Aazealh said:
Who says it doesn't? And why would it care?

Well, if the Idea of Evil spawns from Humanity's desire to have a cause for their suffering it's not a huge leap to conclude that without Humanity to feed it, the Idea of Evil would be no more. Of course there is still the Vortex of Souls but we don't have, as far as I remember, any information about it other than it's the place where everyone who deals (in a broad sense) with demons is cast.

Aazealh said:
I don't think that's where the story's headed.

I hope not. It would be kind of repetitive as many arcs were already build ups to a sacrificial cerimony, IMHO.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wyrm said:
Well, if the Idea of Evil spawns from Humanity's desire to have a cause for their suffering it's not a huge leap to conclude that without Humanity to feed it, the Idea of Evil would be no more.

Because it was born from the dark side of mankind's collective consciousness doesn't mean it would necessarily disappear if humanity ceased to exist in its present form. Yet by definition, if it truly embodies the darkness in every human heart, then it can never exist without humans, and no "sacrifice" would change that. Anyway, the episode in which that explanation is given was removed from the story, so there's really little to go on here.

Wyrm said:
Of course there is still the Vortex of Souls but we don't have, as far as I remember, any information about it other than it's the place where everyone who deals (in a broad sense) with demons is cast.

Well we know more about the Vortex of Souls than about the Idea of Evil... Including from episode 83, in which the Idea of Evil states it's what it was born from.

Wyrm said:
I hope not. It would be kind of repetitive as many arcs were already build ups to a sacrificial cerimony, IMHO.

I'm not sure that's a fair way to present things, but anyhow I don't believe it's going to happen.

Wyrm

HEMA
Aazealh said:
I'm not sure that's a fair way to present things, but anyhow I don't believe it's going to happen.

That indeed "sounded" harsh and I didn't meant it that way. Just that after three courses of lobster, you can eat a fourth one but something else would be nice too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
No new Berserk episodes are in the next two issues of Young Animal (up to 4/26), but the first issue in May (5/10), will be the 19th week since the last Berserk episode. And as I said on the podcast this week, Berserk has never gone more than 19 weeks on a break. So it's likely that Episode 334 will land on May 10.

If I'm wrong, then it'll be the longest break in the history of the series. :magni:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
No new Berserk episodes are in the next two issues of Young Animal (up to 4/26), but the first issue in May (5/10), will be the 19th week since the last Berserk episode. And as I said on the podcast this week, Berserk has never gone more than 19 weeks on a break. So it's likely that Episode 334 will land on May 10.

If I'm wrong, then it'll be the longest break in the history of the series. :magni:

When I saw that this part of the forum was highlighted, I got excited. But then I read that it was still for 333. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
When I saw that this part of the forum was highlighted, I got excited. But then I read that it was still for 333. :judo:
Well, I try not to post in here unless there's news. But I figured people might want to know that another episode is likely in May, but not to hold out for one in April.

I should have mentioned, if anyone wants to see a historical data on episode releases, here's the list that I've compiled over the years: http://skullknight.net/images/eps.htm

Thanks for the heads up, Walter. It's too bad there won't be any new Berserk episodes for the near future :sad:

Walter said:

Not to mention the last time such a record-high 19-week break occurred, back in 2011, we had also seen the most record-low number of Berserk episodes ever published in a whole year - standing at a mere 7. If this current break surpasses that previous 19-week long break, as it well may happen, then this could also mean an ever fewer new episodes released for this year as well. It's possible for 2013 to have only 6 or even 5 episodes :magni:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny Apples said:
If this current break surpasses that previous 19-week long break, as it well may happen, then this could also mean an ever fewer new episodes released for this year as well. It's possible for 2013 to have only 6 or even 5 episodes :magni:
I see no reason to predict that the sky is falling just yet. There have been 6 breaks that lasted ~19 weeks in the last 5 years, so it's not unheard of for it to go this long. What I'm saying is that this break session will likely soon end.

Miura still has nothing on Kazushi Hagiwara. Give me a two year break, then we'll talk...

Anyway, great news, and glad to hear that Berserk is coming back finally. Still hoping for Elfhelm in 2013.

Funny thing with Hagiwara is he makes like 1 episode a year yet his manga isn't even exceptionally good.
Good news for the new episode though. It will be interesting to see what's next

Oh lol Hagiwara is a champion when it comes to taking breaks. He's been taking one for two years now.Yet he finds the time to do illustrations for games like Lord of Vermillion.
Well I really do hope that Berserk returns in May, and that we'll get 3 or 4 episodes before another break.

Top Bottom