Episode 335

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
One Episode is never enough to quench the thirst of Berserk. :beast:

A quick point about the scans being early. This has actually been a thing within the last 4 to 6 months now... with Japanese publishers releasing their Magazines in China to help promote their manga's, they have been leaking the shit HELLA early. This happened with One Piece and other manga's as well.

As for the Episode itself, Miura loves that detail and it shows, the art is beautiful. This helps to just keep the illusion going on the "perfect" world that is here.

What I am curious about is that WHEN everything comes down and Griffith/Femto gives the order to chow down, how are the Apostles going to feel about it? I know some of you are thinking that its going to be an automatic thing with no remorse but I wonder about that.

During the fight with Ganishka we had seen that everyone fought together, sure they needed a bit of encouragement to do it. Now in "peace" I wouldn't find it too hard to see that folks have developed certain relationships with respect. Thus making the future event even more awesome and gut wrenching! :ubik:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CheAkiwara said:
Hey guys :)
Before I get to my main point, I just wanted to say you guys have an AWESOME community for Berserk here, never thought there would be this kind of community for this truly fantastic manga !

Hi, and welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you among us.

IronBerserk said:
Also another thing I want to point out is if this soul controlling technique of Griffith's is actually real?

I believe it's real, but there might still be a catch to it beyond what we know.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
What I am curious about is that WHEN everything comes down and Griffith/Femto gives the order to chow down, how are the Apostles going to feel about it? I know some of you are thinking that its going to be an automatic thing with no remorse but I wonder about that. During the fight with Ganishka we had seen that everyone fought together, sure they needed a bit of encouragement to do it. Now in "peace" I wouldn't find it too hard to see that folks have developed certain relationships with respect. Thus making the future event even more awesome and gut wrenching!

I really think you're going at this the wrong way. This whole idea that somehow Falconia is just a giant cauldron for a final sacrifice where apostles will eat everybody is downright simplistic. Rather, from what we know of the world of Berserk and what we've seen of Fantasia and Falconia so far, and especially with the addition of this episode, it seems to me that what's being set up here is complete control of the human population. And not just control of their lives but control of their deaths, too.

I think it may very well be that the God Hand is bypassing the natural order of things by somehow isolating the population of Falconia from the "great ocean of souls" that exists down at the very bottow of the Astral World. Maybe they're sending them all directly to the "evil" part of that ocean (the Vortex of Souls), or maybe they're storing them in that huge sphere we've seen in Falconia, but either way I don't think we're being shown that power of Griffith just for the sake of it.

Aazealh said:
I think it may very well be that the God Hand is bypassing the natural order of things by somehow isolating the population of Falconia from the "great ocean of souls" that exists down at the very bottow of the Astral World. Maybe they're sending them all directly to the "evil" part of that ocean (the Vortex of Souls), or maybe they're storing them in that huge sphere we've seen in Falconia, but either way I don't think we're being shown that power of Griffith just for the sake of it.

Now that's a scary thought, but could be the case. :magni: I wonder if down the line we will see Rickert stumble across something that fills us in on what might be really happening behind the scenes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I really think you're going at this the wrong way. This whole idea that somehow Falconia is just a giant cauldron for a final sacrifice where apostles will eat everybody is downright simplistic.

Indeed, and things haven't been that simple since apostles and humans began working together. That relationship fundamentally changed on that day. Humans are willing to accept their monstrous forms. I doubt Falconia is being set up just to be an elaborate chew toy.

Rather, from what we know of the world of Berserk and what we've seen of Fantasia and Falconia so far, and especially with the addition of this episode, it seems to me that what's being set up here is complete control of the human population. And not just control of their lives but control of their deaths, too.

It's a chilling thought. I'm not quite sure of its implications, though. We know so little about how the abyss works in that regard, I'm not sure how the God Hand or the Idea of Evil would benefit. However, reading your words "bypassing the natural order of things" certainly rings true.

Tama said:
I wonder if down the line we will see Rickert stumble across something that fills us in on what might be really happening behind the scenes.

Our perspective in Falconia isn't limited to Rickert.

S

Saintly pants

There are a few things that have been bothering me about certain characters and places lately:

Sonia: Does she know everything? :femto: I guess not. :griffnotevil:

Charlotte: I want to bet she will sacrifice Anna at some point to become an apostle. Because that is the point of Anna being there. Probably when the truth about Griffith is revealed. Instead of turning against him, she will join him fully. I just feel it this way because Griffiths control over Charlotte is now absolute.

The pope: We will see his upcoming death from his point of view. And he will go abruptly from "Finally paradise!" to "OH SHIT!!! NOOOO!!! I NEED TO HAVE MY FLESH BAAACK!!!!!" (Two page spread of the vortex) He will be the first to see the truth. I'm already getting cold sweats thinking about it.

Falconia: I suspect it has a "true form" and we currently see a mask. Exactly like Griffith himself is. The true form will be the stuff of manga legends. :magni:

Luca: Just guessing, but a possible path her character can be taken on is her being "corrupted" by the comfortable life in Falconia. Luca functions great in terrible situations, but how will she hold up when she actually has something to lose? When it becomes clear Falconia is fake as a (huge) wedding cake, will she try to cling to it? Just a theory.

Falconia again: Could it be inspired by "Germania", the planned (but thankfully never build) Nazi megalopolis? It could be because it also was designed as a HUGE city of marble and pompousness with in the center the "Volkshalle". A humongous white dome in wich all the subjugate people of the world where to pledge their loyalty to the thousand year Nazi empire. (Goodwin etc., but I had to say it)

(Just quickly jumping in to drop some ideas)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saintly pants said:
Sonia: Does she know everything? :femto: I guess not. :griffnotevil:

Charlotte: I want to bet she will sacrifice Anna at some point to become an apostle. Because that is the point of Anna being there. Probably when the truth about Griffith is revealed. Instead of turning against him, she will join him fully. I just feel it this way because Griffiths control over Charlotte is now absolute.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. But some of these notions are pretty off. Charlotte sacrificing Anna? Sacrifices have to be the thing you hold most dear, not just a faithful handmaiden. For Charlotte, it could only be one person. And that's not going to happen...

I actually think both of these characters are set up to betray Griffith in the end. Sonia is almost a sure thing, given her friendship with Schierke. And for Charlotte, instead of being loyal to the end, I've always thought it would be more interesting for her to learn the truth about Grifith, and in spite of her love for him would help bring about his downfall. I mentioned this back on Episode 2 of the SkullKast, but remember in Volume 10, during the Wyndham infiltration that Charlotte assists the Falcons with, she recognizes Guts and Casca. She'll probably remember them if she sees them again, and might wonder why Griffith's formerly trusted captains would oppose him so vehemently.

The pope: We will see his upcoming death from his point of view. And he will go abruptly from "Finally paradise!" to "OH SHIT!!! NOOOO!!! I NEED TO HAVE MY FLESH BAAACK!!!!!" (Two page spread of the vortex) He will be the first to see the truth. I'm already getting cold sweats thinking about it.

Hahahah, well could be. But rather I think he's so devoted and warped at this point that he'd see the Vortex as a thing of beauty, and in your scenario, THAT would be the chilling part. Of course, maybe he's not bound for the vortex. :void:

Falconia: I suspect it has a "true form" and we currently see a mask. Exactly like Griffith himself is. The true form will be the stuff of manga legends. :magni:

It already is the stuff of legends.

Luca: Just guessing, but a possible path her character can be taken on is her being "corrupted" by the comfortable life in Falconia. Luca functions great in terrible situations, but how will she hold up when she actually has something to lose? When it becomes clear Falconia is fake as a (huge) wedding cake, will she try to cling to it? Just a theory.

Doesn't sound true to her character, to me. She's the epitome of bootstrapping humanity.

Falconia again: Could it be inspired by "Germania", the planned (but thankfully never build) Nazi megalopolis? It could be because it also was designed as a HUGE city of marble and pompousness with in the center the "Volkshalle". A humongous white dome in wich all the subjugate people of the world where to pledge their loyalty to the thousand year Nazi empire. (Goodwin etc., but I had to say it)

(Just quickly jumping in to drop some ideas)

Yep, we pointed this out back in 2010. But I still don't think it's a sure thing. Just something that came to mind for me when I first saw Falconia, and attempted to find real-world comparisons.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Mangetsu said:
Miura's Comment: Its been a while for Berserk, drawing scenes of spectacle takes time.

Looks like we're in for one hell of a ride. Behold, for great things shall be revealed to us! :magni:

To be a Berserk fan is a such an immeasurably splendid thing.

Aazealh said:
That's great to know. Welcome aboard! :SK:

I honestly just cannot see that happening.

Cannot see what happening? Elfhelm raid or throne room reveal due to a war meeting? I understand why you would think that for both. It does seem pretty wasteful to show off the throne room for such a mundane event.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
medicalmidget said:
Cannot see what happening? Elfhelm raid or throne room reveal due to a war meeting? I understand why you would think that for both. It does seem pretty wasteful to show off the throne room for such a mundane event.

I don't think we'll be shown a war meeting about a raid on Elfhelm.

For some reason I get this feeling that Griffith isn't going to raid Elfhelm or anything like that; I feel like Guts, Casca, and group are going to have a decision to make to seek him out this time or head back there when the time is right. Whether it's for revenge, the Moonlight Boy or however the story progresses.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
kapsi said:
Do all humans go to hell in Berserk or only some?

It's not something we have complete information on (surprise), but as said in volume 24, souls are divided according to their karma.

For more info, here's a quote from a 2008 post I made on the subject:

Walter said:
For all we know, most humans end up in the Vortex anyway, unless they're someone like Flora who can circumvent the natural(read: evil) order of things. As far as we know, Griffith's involvement here hasn't altered the course of these humans' spirits.

The concentrated evil of departed human souls is what comprises the Vortex. Upon the death of those involved in the affairs of the God Hand, the Vortex rises up and rips away the "evilness" from the body of an apostle or branded, leaving only their unspoiled human shell behind. Here's some quotes to support this (though we also see it quite clearly in vol 11).

[quote author=Vol 3]
Femto: Count, the undulation of your soul is close to pure evil. If your flesh expires, your soul, captured in the evil magnetic wave, will certainly fall down to Hell. And, you will wander about that crucible of dark thought for all eternity.
Femto: Before long, maintaining your individuality will become an impossibility. You will become one undulation, melting in the sea of the darkside of the soul in order to let fall a drop into the water.
Slann: That is the fate of those who were related to evil (spirits).

[quote author=Vol 23]
Mule: Those lights... What... Are they... Where did they...?
Griffith: To where they can join as one.
[/quote]

[quote author= Vol 24]
Flora: And below that... Is where people, divided according to their karma, May find the realms known as heaven or hell.[/quote]
[/quote]

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tama said:
For some reason I get this feeling that Griffith isn't going to raid Elfhelm or anything like that; I feel like Guts, Casca, and group are going to have a decision to make to seek him out this time or head back there when the time is right. Whether it's for revenge, the Moonlight Boy or however the story progresses.

A wise feeling.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
kapsi said:
Do all humans go to hell in Berserk or only some?

I had started on a response, but Walter beat me to it, and, expectedly, had a better answer. I completely forgot about Flora's comment about karmic division. Looks like it's time for another read through to refresh myself on those early-mid volumes.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Funny that we're talking about that part, I just read it yesterday! But those translations looks nicer then the dark horse one... oh well. Thinking on whats next, I change my opinion, I think we'll get two more episodes in Falconia before the switch.

Reading everyones thoughts and theories I can see any of them happening. With this release I believe the next big event will be if Griffith tells Rickert how he got to this point without leaving any details out. I don't think this will happen as when he asked Guts to assassinate Julius because he didn't want the others to know about his "dirty deeds."

With Rickert knowing some things from Guts, I think he will find out everything himself and honestly I don't know how he will react. I'd like to think he would become Guts and companies inside man. We shall see.

Deci

Really spectacular episode! I really love how Miura has drawn Falconia and I'm anxious to see Rickert meet Griffith once again, knowing what he knows from Guts on the hill of swords. And continuing this summer? So exciting!! Always pleasant to have a comment from Miura as well, I can imagine his hand must be really sore from drawing so many fantastic frames. :serpico: So worth it in the end.

Next few releases will almost certainly be with Rickert in my opinion, and I love it personally. =)

Aazealh said:

Thank you for that.

jackson_hurley

Doc said:
I can't wait to find out where Silat & co. have been hiding.

True! did they enter Falconia and being low profile as Daiba? Or are they wandering the monster filled land on their own?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
lon3vvolf said:
With this release I believe the next big event will be if Griffith tells Rickert how he got to this point without leaving any details out. I don't think this will happen as when he asked Guts to assassinate Julius because he didn't want the others to know about his "dirty deeds."

With Rickert knowing some things from Guts, I think he will find out everything himself and honestly I don't know how he will react. I'd like to think he would become Guts and companies inside man. We shall see.

You know, there's a world of difference between the Griffith who asked Guts to do his dirty deeds and the one who's standing in that room now. Besides, Rickert already knows the crucial part from Guts, so there's not much for him to find out. He could ask for confirmation, or why he did it, but the "big reveal" already took place long ago. There are many other things we could learn from that encounter, though. From what's happened since the last time we saw Falconia, to what Griffith's plans are, and so on.

jackson_hurley said:
True! did they enter Falconia and being low profile as Daiba? Or are they wandering the monster filled land on their own?

I'd like to see them out in the woods, busting down monsters with their hard-earned skills and finally carving out a place for themselves in this new world.

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
I'd like to see them out in the woods, busting down monsters with their hard-earned skills and finally carving out a place for themselves in this new world.

That would indeed be something quite interesting to see. I'm more of that opinion too.

Aazealh said:

That's what I've always hoped for. Outside of Guts and his crew, if there was ever a group with the means and mindset to survive in this new world it's them.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Skeleton said:
That's what I've always hoped for. Outside of Guts and his crew, if there was ever a group with the means and mindset to survive in this new world it's them.

It's particularly fitting because the Bakiraka haven't had a land to call their own, so they've been nomadic. Now (presumably) everyone's in the same scenario.

Top Bottom