Episode 339

Wow! Great episode! I can already tell the dialogue in this one is going to be absolutely delicious.

I'm stoked that we finally got
the Bakiraka and Daiba crossing paths. I find Daiba's reaction interesting though. While I didn't expect them to run up and hug one another I figured he'd at least make his presence known when he first spotted them. But I suppose their respective positions in Ganishka's military wouldn't give them much contact with one another so there wouldn't be a close enough relationship for him to do anything beyond recognizing them?

Miura's drawings continues to impress me, the detail in these past couple of episodes has been superb.

I cannot wait to find out the details about that mask.... Rakshas' response to it being split was very unexpected for me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wenliinvictus said:
He gets crushed and walks it off, he gets stabbed in the head and switches to a dummy body at the last second. How is anybody meant to kill Rakshas? He seems to have an answer for everything.

It's not really a last-second switch, seems to be more like a "permanent" decoy.

Anyway, I love what Miura did for Rakshas' design. It feels like he went back to the basics of fear: what is unknown and foreign. Since the mask is so iconic and cool, having something behind it, whatever it was, might be have disappointing. But to have nothing (or almost, a faint trace of a face) be there? That's absolutely brilliant. Those panels of him standing there faceless are just amazing to me. And it also makes him the ultimate spy/assassin: faceless and featureless. "What did he look like? I just saw a cloak."

Skeleton said:
I'm stoked that we finally got the Bakiraka and Daiba crossing paths. I find Daiba's reaction interesting though. While I didn't expect them to run up and hug one another I figured he'd at least make his presence known when he first spotted them. But I suppose their respective positions in Ganishka's military wouldn't give them much contact with one another so there wouldn't be a close enough relationship for him to do anything beyond recognizing them?

You're assuming they would be glad to see him. That is not certain at all. I completely understand his cautiousness.

N7Paladin said:
I cannot wait to find out the details about that mask.... Rakshas' response to it being split was very unexpected for me.

Rakshas liked it a lot and was saddened that Silat broke it. He wasn't in the mood anymore, so he told them to wait for him to come back with a new one later that night.

I'll post a complete summary later, no time right now. This is a very interesting episode, and I'm really excited about what's to come.

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Aazealh said:
It's not really a last-second switch, seems to be more like a permanent decoy.

The way i'm seeing it is that his "body" has dived down at the last minute leaving the mask and his usual silhouette standing yet empty, and he's resurfaced behind Silat with the cloak draped over him.

This whole fight has got me convinced the whole cloak is part of his body though. It's so elastic and he has so much control over it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Squiddot said:
The way i'm seeing it is that his "body" has dived down at the last minute leaving the mask and his usual silhouette standing yet empty, and he's resurfaced behind Silat with the cloak draped over him.

This whole fight has got me convinced the whole cloak is part of his body though. It so elastic and he has so much control over it.

I think at this point it's clear that the cloak is his body.

Squiddot

Aazealh said:
I think at this point it's clear that the cloak is his body.

Yeah, though notice how his eyes no longer have the glow when his mask is removed. It could be that an area of his face that is usually uncovered when he's wearing a mask (boy, that sounds weird) is being obscured by the cloak just hanging over him.

Squiddot said:

This whole fight has got me convinced the whole cloak is part of his body though. It's so elastic and he has so much control over it.

If he has any vital organs, like a brain he probably moved them away from his head before he got hit. Assuming he isn't just a living cloak.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Squiddot said:
Yeah, though notice how his eyes no longer have the glow when his mask is removed. It could be that an area of his face that is usually uncovered when he's wearing a mask (boy, that sounds weird) is being obscured by the cloak just hanging over him.

I don't think so, it's probably just a stylistic choice on Miura's part.

Wenliinvictus said:
If he has any vital organs, like a brain he probably moved them away from his head before he got hit. Assuming he isn't just a living cloak.

Well he has a head, that much is sure, and it wasn't behind the mask when he was hit. That's how he could catch Silat by surprise.

Squiddot said:

If you look at the last panel, it looks as if his eyes are still glowing even without the mask.

Squiddot

Kruge said:
If you look at the last panel, it looks as if his eyes are still glowing even without the mask.

If Aazealh's on the spot translation a few posts up was right he probably picked up a new one while he was away. But even if he hadn't, I'm sure he would have re-aligned himself with the eye holes by then. My earlier post was just using that as evidence to show he had been forced to move closer to the edge of his cloak rather than "wearing" it properly like every other time.

Even without the translation this is a very important episode. Obvious that Rickert is telling the fall of the falcons and I'll assume that for the foreseeable future we'll be seeing him "kick it" with our eastern friends. This could really start moving the main plot forward.

Squiddot

Salem said:
Even without the translation this is a very important episode. Obvious that Rickert is telling the fall of the falcons and I'll assume that for the foreseeable future we'll be seeing him "kick it" with our eastern friends. This could really start moving the main plot forward.

I agree, it looks like the Falconia storyline has a clear ending in sight now, along with a great jumpoff point to take us back to a certain seabound squad. I'm really interested in what Silat is saying in the panel featuring the rocky mountain path. Could that be a way out of the city? And Rakshas looming over the city near the end there is pretty unsettling. Hopefully he'll keep his beef with the Bakiraka and Rickert away from Luca and Erica. There's also still Garuda chilling in the barn which strikes me as a massive "Chekhov's gun" that we've yet to see in action. The 25th can't come soon enough!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Such a bizarre reveal, if it can even be called that.
Behind the mask is yet another kind of mask..!
:rakshas:

The Tapasa trying to play nice got a big laugh out of me, that crying cat as well. :ubik:

Squiddot said:
I'm really interested in what Silat is saying in the panel featuring the rocky mountain path. Could that be a way out of the city?

There will be a summary with partial translation soon.

There's also still Garuda chilling in the barn which strikes me as a massive "Chekhov's gun" that we've yet to see in action. The 25th can't come soon enough!

I have no doubts that we'll see Garuda flying around again, but it's not like there's been an opportunity for that in the recent episodes, so I think ascribing it as a "massive Chekhov's Gun" is a bit much... :daiba:

Wow! The clash between the Bakiraka and Rakshas is great. Silat apparently did the best possible thing he could have done in that situation by breaking Rakshas' mask. The panel after Silat stabbed the mask and it cracks is cool, it looks all wall-eyed in that moment and just gave me a very creepy feeling. :rakshas:

Aazealh said:
Anyway, I love what Miura did for Rakshas' design. It feels like he went back to the basics of fear: what is unknown and foreign. Since the mask is so iconic and cool, having something behind it, whatever it was, might be have disappointing. But to have nothing (or almost, a faint trace of a face) be there? That's absolutely brilliant.
Great points and I agree! I think I actually like this design much more than I would have if Rakshas had turned out to be a more concrete and monster-like form.

I love the way Rakshas reacts to his mask being broken. He doesn't feel like playing any more and goes drifting off dejectedly.

Walter said:
The Tapasa trying to play nice got a big laugh out of me, that crying cat as well. :ubik:
Same here, I love the Tapasa's smiles when they meet Erika! They're trying to be friendly, but they just end up looking even freakier than usual! Cracked me up! :ganishka: Erika and the cat's expressions are great, too!

Very cool episode and I don't even know what was said yet! Looking forward to that! :guts:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I'm assuming that the cliff shot is possibly where the bakiraka are hanging out? (There seems to be a temple or a structure on top of that pike, or I'm seeing things too much)

It's also impressive to see the tapasa coordinating their effort as easy as nothing. Very very cool episode and very very very interesting characters!

Squiddot

Walter said:
I have no doubts that we'll see Garuda flying around again, but it's not like there's been an opportunity for that in the recent episodes, so I think ascribing it as a "massive Chekhov's Gun" is a bit much... :daiba:

Well, massive in the sense that as soon as it was revealed it was a sort of "We'll definitely be revisiting this again" moment. Compared to something like the automated water hose, which is also speculated to have some future implications. You're right about there being no opportunities for it and Miura's done all he can to keep it in the picture, like having the kids try and spy on it. But I would be very surprised if it doesn't become relevant in the immediate future.

JMP said:
I think I actually like this design much more than I would have if Rakshas had turned out to be a more concrete and monster-like form.

When i first saw him I immediately thought of a kid's attempt at a clay human, or a statue that had been withered down to near nothing. Definitely the eeriest thing I've seen in Berserk for a very long time.

Squiddot said:
I agree, it looks like the Falconia storyline has a clear ending in sight now, along with a great jumpoff point to take us back to a certain seabound squad. I'm really interested in what Silat is saying in the panel featuring the rocky mountain path. Could that be a way out of the city? And Rakshas looming over the city near the end there is pretty unsettling. Hopefully he'll keep his beef with the Bakiraka and Rickert away from Luca and Erica. There's also still Garuda chilling in the barn which strikes me as a massive "Chekhov's gun" that we've yet to see in action. The 25th can't come soon enough!

I'm still hoping that Rakshas, as crazy as he is, pulls a Vader down the road and intervenes in the good fight. Yea, not likely, but he's obviously holding back and I'm super excited to hear more about his past.

Looks like the lonely islands "on a boat" since volume 32 is gonna end very soon with this pace.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We talked about this in the last podcast, but with that scene between Silat/Rickert/Luca, we could be seeing the founding seeds of a future revolutionary force. But already, it's being threatened by Rakshas hovering over the town, presumably spying on their activities.

Squiddot said:
Well, massive in the sense that as soon as it was revealed it was a sort of "We'll definitely be revisiting this again" moment. Compared to something like the automated water hose, which is also speculated to have some future implications. You're right about there being no opportunities for it and Miura's done all he can to keep it in the picture, like having the kids try and spy on it. But I would be very surprised if it doesn't become relevant in the immediate future.

Of all things to dwell on in this episode thread, it sure is weird that we're talking about Garuda. I don't think its introduction earlier necessitates its immediate involvement in the story. However, I can envision a scenario where Rickert, Silat and the Tapasa get cornered on their escape from Falconia, and Daiba rescues them with Garuda. That could immediately elucidate them on Daiba's new role. Otherwise, his former association with Ganishka would surely be a problem for Silat.

What an exciting and beautiful episode!

I like the panel where the now faceless Rakshas is looking down on his broken mask the best. It feels very tragic, especially seeing him floating away with a lowered head. Without a mask, it seems like he thinks of himself as nothing more than a shapeless being. He still can get away but his fighting spirit is lost.

Salem said:
I'm still hoping that Rakshas, as crazy as he is, pulls a Vader down the road and intervenes in the good fight. Yea, not likely, but he's obviously holding back and I'm super excited to hear more about his past.
I am also VERY curious about his backstory. Was it his wish to loose his own identity to become a better assassin? What do you think he sacrifced to become an apostle?

Walter said:
Everyone's expression in these panels is priceless :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
rage-al said:
I like the panel where the now faceless Rakshas is looking down on his broken mask the best. It feels very tragic, especially seeing him floating away with a lowered head. Without a mask, it seems like he thinks of himself as nothing more than a shapeless being.

This is really smart. After the reveal, I wondered myself why he bothers with the mask, but it's so obvious. It's a form of identity in his otherwise faceless/shapeless void.

That being said, I think he retreated because he's a rather contrary sort of guy, constantly toying with the Tapasa. It's always seemed more like a game to him than something serious. UNTIL NOW :femto:

Such a great episode, and its so nice to see the date for the next episode!!!! :ubik:

so many interesting things happened, the panel with Silat and that mountain like formation in the background looks interesting, probably somewhere back in the homeland...just nice to see different places in the world!

The way Silat and the Tapasa fought, they work so well together as a team

last month i thought Rakshas was gonna dodge that pillar but he infact DID get hit, it didn't do much to him though :ganishka:

This episode really managed to surprise. What the f#@% is Rakshas?
Why did he take his leave like that?
So many questions.

Years ago, I never thought we'd see Rickert having his own unique encounters and adventures.
Goofily smiling Tapasa are something I NEVER expected to see. Love it utterly though. The pair waiting patiently in the stable and the curious horses.
So effing great.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Hahaha nice, Griff was right about Rakshas' cloak!

After 15 years of throwing shit at the wall something was bound to stick. :rakshas:

Anyway, that was certainly eventful! This had a lot more story progress (and a lot less Apostle transformation/fighting) than anyone anticipated. Rakshas seems so tragic without his mask (maybe it's the only way he knows where to keep his face =), but even that great reveal paled in comparison to the scariness of Tapasa dressed like old grannies (love Silat's shoulder pads under the cloak too; very inconspicuous)! Can't wait to find out what they're saying, though the obvious connections have been made.

Ken said:
Such a great episode, and its so nice to see the date for the next episode!!!! :ubik:

so many interesting things happened, the panel with Silat and that mountain like formation in the background looks interesting, probably somewhere back in the homeland...just nice to see different places in the world!

The way Silat and the Tapasa fought, they work so well together as a team

last month i thought Rakshas was gonna dodge that pillar but he infact DID get hit, it didn't do much to him though :ganishka:

This is right after Rickert tell them about the sacrifices so maybe its where Rakshas sacrifice their people

Top Bottom