Episode 346

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
DarkAdin said:
That was Femto, wasn't it? :schierke:
Are you trying to argue that the current Griffith is not Femto? To defend the idea that Casca would benefit from his presence to get over her trauma?

DarkAdin said:
Anyway, you're right. I should have said Rickert, even
You should have sticked to Guts.
 
Aazealh said:
Are you trying to argue that the current Griffith is not Femto? To defend the idea that Casca would benefit from his presence to get over her trauma?

You should have sticked to Guts.
DarkAdin said:
Anyway, you're right.
No, I would never defend that idea. I'm not used to write such long posts and I slipped that sentence there while I was thinking in the old Griffith, which was not Femto. But I guess Griffith will never be a good figure to Casca anymore, not even the old, human Griffith, which will never come back at this point anyway.
So... That is what I meant.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
DarkAdin said:
But I guess Griffith will never be a good figure to Casca anymore, not even the old, human Griffith, which will never come back at this point anyway.
So... That is what I meant.
Ok, then we agree.
 
Walter said:
Oh no! My mistake. Thank you to Puella for the translation. That's what I get for lurking in a forum :ganishka:

I agree with everyone's response to my Reddit comment. I don't consider anyone a true fan of Berserk if they complain about what we've been getting recently. And at this point, anyone who complains is just plain stupid. This is the craziest shit to happen to this series in a long time. A momentous turning point years in the making.

I think I'd lean towards some type of bittersweet outcome for Casca. I'm sure this theory has been bandied about on this forum...but hypothetically, the Elf Queen confirms that she can indeed cure Casca, but her memory would have to be wiped completely, and thus she wouldn't remember Guts at all. This would be heart wrenching for our protagonists. Would Casca ever learn to love Guts again? Ultimately, I think I agree with what some have said about the unlikeliness of a negative outcome here. Casca has to be restored; Miura knows this. It would drive away too many fans. But then again, it'd be pretty hardcore and IDGAF of Miura to shatter everyone's hearts like that. The uncertainty is sure to kill me over the next month. If I was a betting man, I'd say it's very unlikely she isn't restored, to say nothing of the price of this deed.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
persiandud said:
Ultimately, I think I agree with what some have said about the unlikeliness of a negative outcome here. Casca has to be restored; Miura knows this. It would drive away too many fans. But then again, it'd be pretty hardcore and IDGAF of Miura to shatter everyone's hearts like that.
That's not how it works. Miura's considerations are not whether a story development would drive fans away. He just does what he feels is right with the story. So he does in fact "not give a fuck" about what people think. But there's still no doubt Casca will be cured, because the other outcome would not make sense from a storytelling perspective. A journey that has taken 17 volumes just isn't going to end with "sorry, can't help you".
 
Delta Phi said:
That's not accurate. The wing stones repel the magical creatures. That's what allows people to farm the land around the city without incident. Now that his kingdom is established, it's certainly about time Griffith expanded his direct control...

We now know Griffith was after more than just Flora. He was destroying spiritual trees in preparation for the Blast of the Astral World. So presumably he needed to accomplish that before defeating Ganishka.
That's true, however he and his army still need to travel from Midland territory, across the sea to Elfhelm, through hordes of trolls, dragons, banshees, ogres, hydras etc. Its not ideal to exhaust your army before you've even reached your intended target. If he wanted Elfhelm destroyed, he should have done it by now.

That's true, and the big cherry blossom tree is the bonanza of spirit trees. Like Walter was saying maybe a God Hand will attack the island instead.
 

Mammon

Mangoku army
This episode is wonderful. I'm seriously in awe...
I'm going to listen to that podcast now, thanks to Puella for the translation as usual!

Just one little observation:
Is this the rest of Irvine's former music band on page 7? :???:
First panel on the bottom, the musician between Casca and Farnese looks a lot like this guy
>

to me...

Irvine stated (episode 250) that he's wandered and lost track of time (well my Berserk collection is in French, not sure how they translated it in English...) and with Elfhelm and it's relation with time...
Could an apostle be from this island?

Meh, I'm most likely reading too much into this...

It was also nice to see these little guys (Brownies) again

kicking out the passed out creatures in the throne room :iva:


Wonderful episode, after 10+ years of reading Berserk I can't believe Guts quest to help Casca might be over soon...
 

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Mammon said:
Just one little observation:
Is this the rest of Irvine's former music band on page 7? :???:
I noticed that uncanny similarity too :guts:. Though the thought that went through my head is "Oh, Miura really wanted to draw Irvine. Wonder if we'll see him soon". Considering Miura warmed up his Guts skills with I think three distinct Guts Flashbacks as we were finishing up the Rickert in Falconia story-line.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Mammon said:
Is this the rest of Irvine's former music band on page 7? :???:
First panel on the bottom, the musician between Casca and Farnese looks a lot like this guy to me...
[...]
Could an apostle be from this island?
Meh, I'm most likely reading too much into this...
You definitely are reading too much into this. They have the same kind of hat (a type of medieval hunting hat), and... that's about it. Irvine plays a lute (an instrument where you pluck strings), while that nameless elf uses a kind of violin. Putting all of that aside, the likelihood that a human could have become an apostle on Skellig is very, very low. Not to mention that I have a feeling hunting animals isn't viewed kindly there either.

Mammon said:
Irvine stated (episode 250) that he's wandered and lost track of time (well my Berserk collection is in French, not sure how they translated it in English...) and with Elfhelm and it's relation with time...
This takes place in episode 258, actually (the episodes' order changed between the pre-publication in Young Animal and the release of the volume). As for his dialogue, it is as follows:

Sonia: Hunters are always alone? Walking all by themselves through the mountains and forests?
Irvine: There are some who aren't, but I'm alone. I hunt by myself.
Irvine: For days you continue to hunt your prey, running through the wilderness.
Irvine: You hide alone deep in the forest.
Irvine: Night after night, until you lose any sense of time, and then...
Sonia: and then?
Irvine: ....before you know it, you have become an animal yourself.

Squiddot said:
Considering Miura warmed up his Guts skills with I think three distinct Guts Flashbacks as we were finishing up the Rickert in Falconia story-line.
I don't understand that sentence at all.
 

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Aazealh said:
I don't understand that sentence at all.
What I mean is that after Miura returned from hiatus with Episode 338, he drew 3 flashbacks of Guts from 338-339, before having him appear proper in 342. I think on a least a minor level it gave Miura a chance to refresh himself on the character.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Squiddot said:
What I mean is that after Miura returned from hiatus with Episode 338, he drew 3 flashbacks of Guts from 338-339, before having him appear proper in 342. I think on a least a minor level it gave Miura a chance to refresh himself on the character.
Hahaha, I really don't think it works like that at all. Miura doesn't need to "refresh his memory" by drawing published panels of characters. That's a really strange assumption, actually. Like all artists, he can just draw the character in question and touch up his panel if needed, or scrap it and do it again.

The reason we see Guts appear four times in those 2 episodes you mention is because Rickert is reminded of specific times in his life (so it's not really flashbacks). It serves a purpose in the story (a big one, too), it's not there as a useless addition just so that Miura can remember how to draw Guts. Besides, Miura has been drawing Guts daily for over 25 years. I'm pretty sure he could draw him with his foot, in the dark, and still do a good job of it.
 
Aazealh said:
That's not how it works. Miura's considerations are not whether a story development would drive fans away. He just does what he feels is right with the story. So he does in fact "not give a fuck" about what people think. But there's still no doubt Casca will be cured, because the other outcome would not make sense from a storytelling perspective. A journey that has taken 17 volumes just isn't going to end with "sorry, can't help you".
I feel like I should clarify my words...I don't think Miura changes plot points based on what we think or want. But I'd also be shocked if he hadn't considered what would happen among the fanbase if he decided to go the route of NOT restoring Casca. And I say this because it's such a huge, culminating moment that I cannot see how a mangaka writing his magnum opus does not take everything into consideration. Not to say that audience feedback is a determining factor in how he shapes his story, but in this particular case it could be. He's had more than a decade to think about this, and I'm sure he's envisioned multiple scenarios where Casca is not restored and how the story would then take shape, and as you said....it just doesn't make sense to do that. Ultimately I agree with your post; Miura doesn't give a shit what we think, but I'm sure as hell he thought about his audience and what kind of feedback he'd get if he went that route.

So if we are to assume Casca will be restored, the question then is at what cost? What price does she (or Guts) have to pay? I can't imagine the Elf Queen, upon being privy to what transpired, being like "oh that's no problem! there you are Casca you're ok again" What will the catch be?

Also, the more I think of it, the less I see an imminent engagement/invasion by Griffith's forces. I think it's more likely we get a :SK: appearance, more exposition (maybe regarding these barytes), a clearer understanding of Griffith's goals, AND....they are surrounded by magic everywhere! I can't see our favorite characters leaving without some significant upgrades! I'm so excited
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
persiandud said:
I don't think Miura changes plot points based on what we think or want. But I'd also be shocked if he hadn't considered what would happen among the fanbase if he decided to go the route of NOT restoring Casca.
I don't think it was a consideration when he chose where he would take the story. Your argument is as unconvincing to me as it was the first time.

persiandud said:
I'm sure he's envisioned multiple scenarios where Casca is not restored and how the story would then take shape
I don't see how you can be sure of that.
 
Aazealh said:
I don't think it was a consideration when he chose where he would take the story. Your argument is as unconvincing to me as it was the first time.
I mean...that's fine. We can agree to disagree. It's just my opinion.

Aazealh said:
I don't see how you can be sure of that.
You can't be sure of the inverse being true, either. Neither of us know him personally nor do we have insight into his thought process. This is merely speculation. A mangaka who works 30 years on one single series, which is his livelihood...wouldn't once in the past decade consider how his audience would respond in regards to this particular plot point? Perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully. I'm not technically "sure" of this (I thought this would be inferred) but I feel strongly about this opinion.
 

Mammon

Mangoku army
Aazealh said:
You definitely are reading too much into this. They have the same kind of hat (a type of medieval hunting hat), and... that's about it. Irvine plays a lute (an instrument where you pluck strings), while that nameless elf uses a kind of violin. Putting all of that aside, the likelihood that a human could have become an apostle on Skellig is very, very low. Not to mention that I have a feeling hunting animals isn't viewed kindly there either.

This takes place in episode 258, actually (the episodes' order changed between the pre-publication in Young Animal and the release of the volume). As for his dialogue, it is as follows:

Sonia: Hunters are always alone? Walking all by themselves through the mountains and forests?
Irvine: There are some who aren't, but I'm alone. I hunt by myself.
Irvine: For days you continue to hunt your prey, running through the wilderness.
Irvine: You hide alone deep in the forest.
Irvine: Night after night, until you lose any sense of time, and then...
Sonia: and then?
Irvine: ....before you know it, you have become an animal yourself.
Thanks for the episode correction (I had to check on some manga reading website), I had completely forgotten about that.
And thanks a lot for the English translation, and your detailed posts in general, it's always appreciated.

For the instruments not being the same, that's why I phrased it "Is this the rest of Irvine's former music band on page 7?", as a dumb joke since they play different ones + sport that hunter hat that is covering their eyes; like our friend Squiddot that random dude immediately made me think of Irvine.
I didn't mean it to come across as a serious idea/theory...

But now I'm wondering how many others like Puck decided to leave Skellig, for one reason or another...
We know so little about the population, every time I re-read this episode I wonder about new little things.
But I need to read it again to properly formulate my ideas.

I certainly hope that we get to know more about all the inhabitants of Skellig, à la Gigantomakhia (sp?) and the desert people.
 
One thing i wonder is, if Puck's story of him leaving Skellig from episode 342 was indeed the truth and not just some last minute story that he came up with.

Do you guys think there will be something more behind his departure from Elfhelm or was that it ?
 

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Mangetsu said:
Do you guys think there will be something more behind his departure from Elfhelm or was that it ?
I'm one to think that's it. Every one just seems to be :"Hey welcome back" or stuff like that. So I don't think there is some secret reason he left in the firstplace. And I'm pretty sure he'll stick around Guts until the end of the serie.
 
I am late to the party but it seems like everyone else pointed out what I would say. A magical episode, I love all the old folklore creatures that Miura created with his own spin on things. The reveal at the end was very fitting. Because we are closely approaching one of the biggest events in Berserk with Casca, does anyone else feel like putting off previews or seeing bits and pieces? I feel like whatever we get soon is going to be very powerful, from the dialogue to the imagery and I know for myself to take it in when it's out completely makes a big difference. It's really easy to say that though and then be tempted with checking daily for a page or two! :casca:
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Mammon said:
Thanks for the episode correction (I had to check on some manga reading website), I had completely forgotten about that.
No problem. For future reference, you can always use our own episode list.

Mammon said:
But now I'm wondering how many others like Puck decided to leave Skellig, for one reason or another...
I doubt very many did. In fact, Puck might be the only one.

Mangetsu said:
One thing i wonder is, if Puck's story of him leaving Skellig from episode 342 was indeed the truth and not just some last minute story that he came up with.

Do you guys think there will be something more behind his departure from Elfhelm or was that it ?
I don't think he was on a secret mission, but I think the Sovereign of the Flower Storm might reveal that his departure, journey and return had a purpose, even if he didn't necessarily know it himself.
 
Tama said:
I am late to the party but it seems like everyone else pointed out what I would say. A magical episode, I love all the old folklore creatures that Miura created with his own spin on things. The reveal at the end was very fitting. Because we are closely approaching one of the biggest events in Berserk with Casca, does anyone else feel like putting off previews or seeing bits and pieces? I feel like whatever we get soon is going to be very powerful, from the dialogue to the imagery and I know for myself to take it in when it's out completely makes a big difference. It's really easy to say that though and then be tempted with checking daily for a page or two! :casca:
Naaaah. I don't think it's going to happen for several months more (at least), but knowing me I'm going to be hungrily scouring the Internet for whatever scraps I can find. I'm so hype for this, so ready.
 

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Random observation about this episode; the sovereign of the flower storm give a princess Zelda-ish vibe (at least for me) in her appearance. I LOVE it!
 
Tama said:
Because we are closely approaching one of the biggest events in Berserk with Casca, does anyone else feel like putting off previews or seeing bits and pieces? I feel like whatever we get soon is going to be very powerful, from the dialogue to the imagery and I know for myself to take it in when it's out completely makes a big difference. It's really easy to say that though and then be tempted with checking daily for a page or two! :casca:
I'm going to try but I feel like it'll be even more difficult than it usually is for me
 
Top Bottom