Episode 348

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Jesus f**** wow. Very nice.
I like the Guts/dog parallel with his missing front leg. And the tiny Casca running in Farnese's hand. Cute and sad at the same time.

Can't wait to see the real deal to better understand that preview!

Thank you Femto96

And before someone ask it : April 28th is the next one. (Because sometimes it seems like people care more about when it's coming out vs enjoying the actual issue coming in)

Anyone else notice that the artstyle is more like the episodes of Rickert in Falconia rather than the most recent batch?

jackson_hurley

Sareth said:
Anyone else notice that the artstyle is more like the episodes of Rickert in Falconia rather than the most recent batch?

I did not find that much difference. I think it might be the filter we get sometime with the Korean scans. I might be offtrack though. But this one seems to come from the official release.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff, very curious about the tiny Cascas and the pyramid-shaped structure on the horizon. Also, the things attacking Guts/Casca have Femto-shaped wings. :femto:

MrFlibble said:
Called it, it was a dog. [\spoiler]
Congratulations? We knew it was a dog as soon as Aazealh pointed out the text saying "dog" in the preview scan half a year ago.

Sareth said:

Looks about the same to me, but it could indeed be the scan quality playing tricks on us.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
the pyramid-shaped structure on the horizon. Also, the things attacking Guts/Casca have Femto-shaped wings. :femto:

Yes those two things got me puzzled. I don't know about you but the quality on my Ipad is not that great so I'm having difficulties to figuring out what exactly they are (for the latter part of your post)

It looks like a mix of regular specters but with Femto wings like you said. Maybe that's how she interpreted the specters or something of the likes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
It looks like a mix of regular specters but with Femto wings like you said. Maybe that's how she interpreted the specters or something of the likes.

Oh, yeah I think they're meant to represent specters for sure. I think the addition of the "spears" is just a way to visualize that they are attacking, and over time wounding Guts (here we go with the interpretive analyses!). But it's interesting that Miura gave them that added detail.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
Oh, yeah I think they're meant to represent specters for sure. I think the addition of the "spears" is just a way to visualize that they are attacking, and over time wounding Guts (here we go with the interpretive analyses!). But it's interesting that Miura gave them that added detail.

Yes indeed.
And is it me or these specters are actually the weird cloaks stuck on a stick?
Man this is gonna be an awesome reading anyway. I've been looking at the pictures non-stop since they have been posted. (Stuck doing reception work until noon and the phone doesn't ring so I take advantage of that!)

And it seems (to me at least) that Casca consider herself a burden for Guts.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Now this is more like it! :guts:

It's definitely a tidy representation of their lives and the relationship between Guts, Casca, and evil in general (with the Femto-like wings a nice reminder of his ultimate influence), Guts taking the spears and them sticking in and only making him more ferocious and dangerous in general. It's nice to see him as a relatively good dog for a change though, even if he's still a very scary one. =)

The art is very old school to me, reminiscent of the imagery in volumes 16-19, probably due in no small part to what's being depicted (Guts even resembles the dogs he fought back then).

jackson_hurley said:

I actually took that as a bit of a burden on her as well, him dragging her, or this idea, shell or corpse around everywhere in a casca-et (sorry =).

Griffith said:
I actually took that as a bit of a burden on her as well, him dragging her, or this idea, shell or corpse around everywhere in a casca-et (sorry =).

Yeah, it harks back to the Golden Age, where she felt guilty over Guts enduring constant injury for her.

Walter said:
Congratulations? We knew it was a dog as soon as Aazealh pointed out the text saying "dog" in the preview scan half a year ago.

Welp, I'll take my 6 months out of the loop trophy and show myself out.

Griffith

MrFlibble said:
Yeah, it harks back to the Golden Age, where she felt guilty over Guts enduring constant injury for her.

That's a factor, but I was thinking more the expectations Guts has had for her since the beginning, post-eclipse. Despite the sacrifice he's making it's not necessarily a healthy and completely selfless thing he's doing for or to her here. Even if he's protecting what's left of her old self, it's also a broken shell locked in a coffin and chained to a ferocious dog... so, that's a lot of potentially conflicting stuff to unpack. It seems at least somewhat harmful to her recovery as good as the intentions (and real world benefits of not being killed) are, and could in fact be hindering her from moving forward and recovering from where/who she is now. We'll see how that plays out. Will the pieces of the old Casca be reassembled, or is that what's leaving her broken and they need to be let go before she can regain her self?

Or maybe it just means they're essentially married? :carcus:

Is it me or the dog's the same race as Gambino's dog? I tried to verify myself but I'm not good with dog, they are a bit different but I can't say if it's because they aren't from the same race or just because Gambino's a puppy.

jackson_hurley said:
Jesus f**** wow. Very nice.
I like the Guts/dog parallel with his missing front leg. And the tiny Casca running in Farnese's hand. Cute and sad at the same time.

He's also missing his eye, and he has a scar on his nose, but he doesn't have the astral wound on his back.

jackson_hurley

darnage said:
Is it me or the dog's the same race as Gambino's dog? I tried to verify myself but I'm not good with dog, they are a bit different but I can't say if it's because they aren't from the same race or just because Gambino's a puppy.

He's also missing his eye, and he has a scar on his nose, but he doesn't have the astral wound on his back.

Yeh I noticed the other similarities as well. About the dog though, I'm not sure we could say it's the same race considering Casca never saw that dog. Now of course it could be but I don't think so imo.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
I like the Guts/dog parallel with his missing front leg.

We already knew that from the preview... What I like about it is that it's a very standard dog and there's no hint of the Beast of Darkness in there, which is as it should be. The details with the brand and iron leash/collar and all are neat as well.

Walter said:
Good stuff, very curious about the tiny Cascas and the pyramid-shaped structure on the horizon.

Indeed, that pyramid in the background is most ominous, and is surely where Danan is taking them... Wonder what it'll be. A giant sacrificial altar maybe, as a metaphor for the hand during the Eclipse? Or just some sinister building inside of which they'll find Casca's lost self?

Walter said:
Also, the things attacking Guts/Casca have Femto-shaped wings.

I wonder whether that intentionally references Femto... Could just be a cool design with bat wings, although the Femto connection makes a lot of sense.

jackson_hurley said:
And is it me or these specters are actually the weird cloaks stuck on a stick?

Yes, they morph into those.

jackson_hurley said:

Indeed, that's one aspect of it. The image of the coffin chained to the dog's neck, the fact it drags it incessantly across an endless desert, the fact the winged creatures attack the coffin itself first (prompting the dog to bark to defend it)...

Griffith said:

I wouldn't say it's a burden on her as much as a very harsh representation of her current state. She sees herself as basically broken and dead, and literally a dead-weight for Guts. I think that implies a lot of misplaced guilt to come on her part.

Griffith said:
That's a factor, but I was thinking more the expectations Guts has had for her since the beginning, post-eclipse. Despite the sacrifice he's making it's not necessarily a healthy and completely selfless thing he's doing for or to her here. Even if he's protecting what's left of her old self, it's also a broken shell locked in a coffin and chained to a ferocious dog... so, that's a lot of potentially conflicting stuff to unpack. It seems at least somewhat harmful to her recovery as good as the intentions (and real world benefits of not being killed) are, and could in fact be hindering her from moving forward and recovering from where/who she is now.

I don't really agree with that sentiment. I don't think those scenes are meant to show her resenting Guts for what he's doing, like he's clinging to her old self instead of letting it go. I think it's really much harsher on her than it is on him. He's pictured pretty truthfully: enduring tirelessly and with nothing to show for it.

darnage said:
Is it me or the dog's the same race as Gambino's dog?

I don't believe it is. They have different "faces" and Gambino's dog was much, much smaller. Besides there'd be no point to it. No relevant connection between the two, thematic or otherwise.

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
We already knew that from the preview...

Well of course we knew it. But it doesn't void the fact that I like the parallel. :serpico:

But to finally see it completed vs the sketch/preview is awesome.

Aazealh said:
What I like about it is that it's a very standard dog and there's no hint of the Beast of Darkness in there, which is as it should be.

Yes indeed. This is a very nice representation of him from her point of view. Very cool.

jackson_hurley said:
And the tiny Casca running in Farnese's hand. Cute and sad at the same time.
Yeah, so the tiny Casca must be the scribbly version of Casca that came with Schierke and Farnese in the last episode, only she has shrunk very small now. Kind of reminds me of Alice in Wonderland. Maybe her size has to do with her feeling more helpless in this situation? She is already normally helpless and child-like and now she seems even more so because she's so small. She's like a tiny little spark of life that's left of this desolated Casca in the casket.

Fantastic episode, as always :ubik:

Aazealh said:
We already knew that from the preview... What I like about it is that it's a very standard dog and there's no hint of the Beast of Darkness in there, which is as it should be. The details with the brand and iron leash/collar and all are neat as well.......

.....Indeed, that's one aspect of it. The image of the coffin chained to the dog's neck, the fact it drags it incessantly across an endless desert, the fact the winged creatures attack the coffin itself first (prompting the dog to bark to defend it)...

One other detail I noticed is how the ground itself underneath that dog's feet is extremely coarse and jagged. Making the act of dragging that Band of Hawk-emblazoned coffin even more painful for him. In a way, the condition/shape of the ground in of itself symbolizes Guts' agonizingly brutal journey.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny Apples said:
One other detail I noticed is how the ground itself underneath that dog's feet is extremely coarse and jagged. Making the act of dragging that Band of Hawk-emblazoned coffin even more painful for him. In a way, the condition/shape of the ground in of itself symbolizes Guts' agonizingly brutal journey.

I'm gonna go ahead and say the status of the ground probably isn't relevant other than to show it's a desolate landscape.

Demon Knight said:
so,the inner of Guts does mean a dog

Uhh, I don't understand what you mean. The inner Guts? You mean Guts as represented in Casca's endless dream?

JMP said:
Yeah, so the tiny Casca must be the scribbly version of Casca that came with Schierke and Farnese in the last episode, only she has shrunk very small now.

Hmm, I'm not sure, I think it's probably the entity shown on this preview page here (on the left):

wdQoAv1.jpg

The page just isn't part of the leaks. Apparently near the end of the episode Farnese places it inside the husk that's in the coffin (or maybe puts it back inside?) and I guess it looks like it transforms the husk somehow (assuming the page order is correct)? Then they head out deeper into the dream. Either way, that little Casca sprite seems very agitated and full of energy (like current Casca), but I'm not sure it's meant to be exactly the same version of Casca that Farnese and Schierke saw on the surface of her consciousness. I agree with the idea of a "spark of life" though, and putting that spark back into the broken husk seems like a good way to start the "healing" process.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
I wouldn't say it's a burden on her as much as a very harsh representation of her current state. She sees herself as basically broken and dead, and literally a dead-weight for Guts. I think that implies a lot of misplaced guilt to come on her part.

Well, I hope not, especially the latter, though it makes sense.

Aazealh said:
I don't really agree with that sentiment. I don't think those scenes are meant to show her resenting Guts for what he's doing, like he's clinging to her old self instead of letting it go. I think it's really much harsher on her than it is on him. He's pictured pretty truthfully: enduring tirelessly and with nothing to show for it.

Perhaps I'm conflating what's being shown here with his attacks on her while possessed by spirits/the beast, but it's hard not to think of that and their resulting estrangement as well given the relation to this dynamic and the similar symbols employed. I think it can be agreed that however they process the situation depicted here if/when/however it changes, it currently sucks for both of them and won't be easy to get over.

It would be great if they somehow come out on the same page though, understanding and forgiving each other and themselves. Unfortunately, their continued trauma makes for better drama, but it should be nice at first anyway, right... please, Miura? :judo:

Aazealh said:
http://i.imgur.com/wdQoAv1.jpg

I wonder if human Guts will show up in there by the end of the episode or if those shots of him and the others are happening externally.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Well, I hope not, especially the latter, though it makes sense.

We'll see of course, but I think she'll have some issues to sort out even after she's restored. It'll probably be complex issues too and not just any simple thing... Plus she'll have to find her place in a new group of people, a new world, a new life... Interesting stuff to look forward to, even if it won't be all sunshine and rainbows.

Griffith said:
Perhaps I'm conflating what's being shown here with his attacks on her while possessed by spirits/the beast, but it's hard not to think of that and their resulting estrangement as well given the relation to this dynamic and the similar symbols employed. I think it can be agreed that however they process the situation depicted here if/when/however it changes, it currently sucks for both of them and won't be easy to get over.

Yeah, I don't think it's being addressed here. I think we're getting purely a "Guts struggling to protect two branded ones" vision with Casca being extra-hard on herself. That being said, this is just the beginning of Farnese and Schierke's exploration of her psyche... I will not be surprised if the issues you mention (her protector turning into an aggressor) pop up in episode 349 or 350. Although in what form is another question (since outside of the armor, the Beast of Darkness is completely internal to Guts). And even if they don't, I'm sure they'll come into play eventually. To be honest I think Guts himself would tell her about it at some point.

Now all that aside I agree that this carries thematic components of their relationship in volume 23, specifically the chain that also means the dog drags the coffin relentlessly, following its own desire. Then there's the fact Guts is shown not as himself, as a human, but as a dog. A dog is faithful and it protects but it is shown being ferocious, which mirrors Guts' behavior at that time. It's not the most positive depiction, and it could imply she's also afraid of it. Lastly it ties into the idea that she doesn't recognize him as Guts.

Griffith said:
It would be great if they somehow come out on the same page though, understanding and forgiving each other and themselves. Unfortunately, their continued trauma makes for better drama, but it should be nice at first anyway, right... please, Miura? :judo:

Hehe, I have no doubt that it'll come to that eventually. :guts:

Griffith said:
I wonder if human Guts will show up in there by the end of the episode or if those shots of him and the others are happening externally.

I'm pretty sure it's external, he's sitting worried aside from the banquet, can't take it easy while this is going down. Totally understandable too.

jackson_hurley said:
I did not find that much difference. I think it might be the filter we get sometime with the Korean scans. I might be offtrack though. But this one seems to come from the official release.

Walter said:
Looks about the same to me, but it could indeed be the scan quality playing tricks on us.

The scans mess with the screen tones and line thickness, but I mean the technique and detail itself. Episodes 345-347 were just... off. Maybe I'll try making a comparison later to make my point but I'm just on my lunch break right now. I wonder if we'll be seeing much difference with those episodes when volume 39 is released. I really hope so.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Sareth said:
The scans mess with the screen tones and line thickness, but I mean the technique and detail itself. Episodes 345-347 were just... off. Maybe I'll try making a comparison later to make my point but I'm just on my lunch break right now. I wonder if we'll be seeing much difference with those episodes when volume 39 is released. I really hope so.

Miura's technique is bound to change. Change over time is inevitable. We should all just be glad he's​ still passionate with his own creation and puts in his absolute best to give us an amazing story. As long as their is more added to the story, I'm glad, regardless of style change.

Top Bottom