Episode 363

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Since the Moonlight Boy is in Elfhelm and it's altered perception of time will he be able to sustain this form for a longer period?
Longer in time relative to the outside world, sure. But a night in Elfhelm is still a night in Elfhelm.

Yep, the real question is how pronounced will Griffith's presumed absence and its affect be? Will Falconia fall into pandemonium minus his influence over everything? Will the boy be fine in Elfhelm until Zodd, or even Void, and company come breaking down the door looking? I'm guessing it's not going to be that pronounced, but that's the extreme of the range. :griffnotevil:

Last edited:
Was Isidro actually "powered up" by the area? I couldn't tell if it was only for comic relief but one of the witches mentioned "the forest having an affinity for his type" and Shierke seemed genuinely surprised by his speed and movements.

Not that it matters much now... But if there was a fight or something to break out... Could Isidro fight like he did in this episode?

Was Isidro actually "powered up" by the area? I couldn't tell if it was only for comic relief but one of the witches mentioned "the forest having an affinity for his type" and Shierke seemed genuinely surprised by his speed and movements.
The forest has lower gravity due to fewer barytes (weight elementals). So, that helped Isidro jump around easier.

Though, what I'm most disappointed with is the fact that no one's talking about the incident of the upmost cruelty in this episode. Poke got eaten by the kelpie and nobody bat an eye. :magni:

The forest has lower gravity due to fewer barytes (weight elementals). So, that helped Isidro jump around easier.
Ooooooooooh... I completely missed that somehow. Sorry for my mistake. Without remembering that info, I read it as the forest having some sort of magical effect from his whimsical nature.

Ooooooooooh... I completely missed that somehow. Sorry for my mistake. Without remembering that info, I read it as the forest having some sort of magical effect from his whimsical nature.
Remember the chaos when Guts and co first entered the forest. I'm sure that's what the witch girl meant by "the forest having an affinity for his type." Meaning everyone in that part of Elfhelm has the tendency to be a bit of a goofball. So, Isidro fits in pretty well.

Griffith

Was Isidro actually "powered up" by the area?

Aaz and puella would know better, but I believe it's actually both and they fed on each other to dramatically increase his power: Isidro was taking advantage of the low barytes, like how the witches fly on brooms, and his own nature was in tune with the forest and vice versa, further boosting his abilities. Basically he was in his element, a monkey in the trees! In a very old school sense, it's like the gods or spirits favoring someone. He'd presumably have these advantages in combat there again too, assuming he didn't lose favor with the elements or however it functions, but then so might his next opponents if they're similarly physically and spiritually inclined (Isma's unexpected Kelpie attack obviously trumped him =).

It's actually a common theme in Berserk at this point with the astral world in general, and specifically how the gang's magical weapons, armor and Serpico's cloak works, or dark beings in Qliphoth, the Dragon Slayer against such beings, the Blaze Wheel, the aforementioned Kelpie in water, etc etc. Schierke will intentionally make contracts with these powers, whereas Isidro may have tapped in inadvertently or organically. Also, while it was clearly for comedic effect, the power seemingly affected or exaggerated his personality, or just went to his head, but it wouldn't it shock me if there's an aside that he was also under the mutual influence of that power, making him all the more a bad monkey. :guts:

It's also very interesting in its potential beyond this comedic scene. Imagine if Guts, in addition to the advantage his armor gives his physical body, fought somewhere his will or "like-minded" or kindred forces could have a profound effect on his abilities, even moreso than the interstice. Maybe that's the difference between him and Skull Knight, who basically can fly and has displayed otherworldly speed, etc. If Guts were to fight in such an area on the island, would he suddenly be more than a match for Zodd, or even a God Hand? I guess, like Isidro, it would depend on if the powers benefitting him weren't also fueling his adversaries (all the more reason not to go down the dark path =). Anyway, we may never know, but it's fun stuff to think about and actually presents a viable, and already familiar, route to Guts and friends gaining power enough to stand up to their inhuman enemies without becoming like them.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
My impression on the episode and the quickening of the pace as a whole is Miura wanted to introduce all these new elements, rather than methodically explore them like he otherwise might have, because shit is hitting the fan sooner rather than later. Like the journey and the mission are complete, so what inciting incident is going to pull them out of there? Then you-know-who immediately shows up.

And now we also have all these new intriguing plot threads like the connection between Skully and Danan, if they're both essentially ghosts of their former selves (if those weren't awkward ex vibes IDK =), and what bannable role Flora had in either or both of those transitions.

As the lone guy who thinks the pace isn't being particularly rushed (which this little Isidro sideshow proves!), I think it's more a matter of Miura wanting events to go down in a certain order, and to reveal some things but not others. In particular, he seems to have wanted the parallel between Guts/Casca and Gaiseric/The Princess to be clear while underlining Guts' situation with the armor. And I know a lot of people are obsessed with the idea of Femto jumping out and a big duel occurring just right here and now, but if you step back a little, the boy so far has saved Guts from the armor twice when Schierke couldn't do anything. That has been a recurring motive for his interventions. So him appearing now is not surprising from that perspective.

I don't know what's going to happen, but Guts' use of the armor and the dangers it poses will probably soon be reaching a turning point. Especially with Casca in her current state (herself again, but traumatized whenever she sees him).

That aside, you also touch upon a fundamental truth here: Casca is cured, so now what? There has to be new challenges and motivations occurring, and some action, because Berserk is first and foremost an action manga. It's also a role the Isidro segment provides in this episode: a bit of action in-between long scenes of dialogue.

I wonder just how similar Floras taboo will be, to the human transmutation that the brothers performed in Fullmetal Alchemist :carcus:

Well it's likely "just" the fact she bound his soul to an empty suit of armor to artifically prolong his life. This goes against the natural course of the world. She herself mentions it's sinful to live an unnaturally long life in volume 26. I see what you're going for with the Fullmetal Alchemist comparison, but I don't think it's very relevant as far as the ritual goes.

Since the Moonlight Boy is in Elfhelm and it's altered perception of time will he be able to sustain this form for a longer period? In addition, do you think there is the possibility that the Boy with the help of the gurus can overpower Griffith/Femto?

We'll see if the difference in the way time passes comes into play. It's not sure at all right now. As for overpowering Griffith, the boy has already done it. Because it's the full moon, he's taking his "true" form and has come to visit his parents. That's probably not what Griffith would have preferred to do if he had been given the choice.

Indeed, the resemblance between the women draws attention to itself in a way that weakens a blood relative. Schierke says what readers felt last episode: The resemblance is unmistakable.

Just to be clear though, some of the wording Schierke uses is typically employed for blood relatives. It's the circumstances that make it more unlikely to me, and especially that scene between the two of them.

Not that it matters much now... But if there was a fight or something to break out... Could Isidro fight like he did in this episode?

Rorschach has got it right. Quoting myself from a post on page 2: "It's funny to see Isidro terrorize the witches. Aside from the comedic element, his quick adaptation to a low Barytes environment shows that he's not to be underestimated. It reminds me of his encounter with Mule and the pirates in Vritannis."

And so, yes, I do think it foreshadows him possibly using his newfound low grav technique in a real fight at some point in the future (provided it takes place in the forest).

Griffith

As the lone guy who thinks the pace isn't being particularly rushed (which this little Isidro sideshow proves!), I think it's more a matter of Miura wanting events to go down in a certain order, and to reveal some things but not others. In particular, he seems to have wanted the parallel between Guts/Casca and Gaiseric/The Princess to be clear while underlining Guts' situation with the armor.

Yeah, whatever Miura's intentions with pace, he's staggering these revelations and teasing new mysteries in a manner that best suits everything dramatically. It's only in our heads that we expect Skully should sit down and give us a three episode data dump on his personal history already because it... feels... so... close...

That aside, you also touch upon a fundamental truth here: Casca is cured, so now what? There has to be new challenges and motivations occurring, and some action, because Berserk is first and foremost an action manga. It's also a role the Isidro segment provides in this episode: a bit of action in-between long scenes of dialogue.

Another fundamental truth you've brought to bear: the big dramatic revelations and payoffs in Berserk happen simultaneously with the large scale, climatic action set pieces. Casca's cure for a recent example; from the outside it's just a ceremony, but on the inside we get to see one of the most fantastical, and consequential, battles in the series. As much great and nuanced conversation as the series features, the big character, story and action moments go hand in hand, which is what makes each so consistently effective. This both means we're not likely to receive the biggest revelations until the action comes, and that the action is coming, always.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's only in our heads that we expect Skully should sit down and give us a three episode data dump on his personal history already because it... feels... so... close...

Reminds me of when we were expecting Guts to tell the group about his past during the sea journey. "It would be the perfect time for it!"

Another fundamental truth you've brought to bear: the big dramatic revelations and payoffs in Berserk happen simultaneously with the large scale, climatic action set pieces. Casca's cure for a recent example; from the outside it's just a ceremony, but on the inside we get to see one of the most fantastical, and consequential, battles in the series. As much great and nuanced conversation as the series features, the big character, story and action moments go hand in hand, which is what makes each so consistently effective. This both means we're not likely to receive the biggest revelations until the action comes, and that the action is coming, always.

Yep! And once we've got that in mind, things can be shifted to take on another significance. Why show us the grave now, and have the relation to Danan stay ambiguous? Likely because a big reveal is coming later and those are necessary to set it up. Same with Isidro's newfound skills, same with Isma and her Kelpie (those aren't pushovers in a fight), etc. Why not have Hanarr work on the armor yet? Well, maybe Guts needs one last close call, a very close call, to drive the point home. And so on.

Griffith

Reminds me of when we were expecting Guts to tell the group about his past during the sea journey. "It would be the perfect time for it!"

It's the classic conflict between author and audience where we want all established business settled, which would kill the story, while they've got to establish more to keep us entertained, which is hard to recognize in the moment. Today's digressions from what we care about are what we care about tomorrow.

maybe Guts needs one last close call, a very close call, to drive the point home.

His outward denial is maybe his strongest trait at this point, especially considering how many times Skully has saved his butt. I do appreciate his more thoughtful inner monologue where Skully is concerned, and his ongoing skepticism is fun; neither is looking for a mentor/ mentee relationship even though they're de facto in one.

Haha thank you for all the great replies. It's nice to think I was "somewhat" onto something with the comedic scenes foreshadowing a potential combat advantage. As much as it was done for "fun" it was definitely showcasing a crazy ammount of skill and speed from Isidro the likes we have never witnessed before (that I don't believe were just there for laughs).

I know I'm probably reading into the most throw-away part of the episode, but its what my mind chooses to focus on given how much attention the beginning and end obviously receive. It just seemed so over-the-top and extended for a comedic scene that the ridiculousness of it sort of poured out into the actual reality of the world and I was in shock and awe at what was happening. Even Isidro's personality and behavior seemed to be affected by his new found confidence and skill.... But again, I might just be reading too much into a comedic relief scene.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
His outward denial is maybe his strongest trait at this point, especially considering how many times Skully has saved his butt.

Yeah, I mean, his stubbornness is often shown as a positive trait, so it's almost refreshing to see it in a negative light. Whether it's the Skull Knight, Schierke, Gedflynn, Hanarr... No one seems able to get through. If only there was someone around to punch some sense into him. :casca:

I know I'm probably reading into the most throw-away part of the episode, but its what my mind chooses to focus on given how much attention the beginning and end obviously receive. It just seemed so over-the-top and extended for a comedic scene that the ridiculousness of it sort of poured out into the actual reality of the world and I was in shock and awe at what was happening. Even Isidro's personality and behavior seemed to be affected by his new found confidence and skill.... But again, I might just be reading too much into a comedic relief scene.

Well, first off, things can be enjoyed for themselves and not just because they advance some plot piece on an imaginary checkboard. Whether it's fight scenes or comic scenes, they're an integral part of what makes the story enjoyable. Otherwise you might as well just read the Cliffs Notes. This sort of mentality is simply wrongheaded. Putting that aside, this scene does a lot beyond providing a palate cleanser between heavy, dramatic moments (which is important in and of itself). We already mentioned that it sets up future events involving Isidro and even Isma, but it also breathes life into both main and background characters (in this case the magic students of the island).

Introducing children or teens as main characters in an adult story is easy to mess up, because they are by nature of a more light-hearted disposition. To put it clearly: Schierke may be a witch prodigy, but she's still a little girl. Isidro's seen some shit, but he's still a boy whose hormones will lead to embarrassing shenanigans. So while they get their fair share of gritty development, it also makes sense to show that childish side of them. This is why Schierke and Isidro's "rivalry" was introduced all the way back in volume 24, and has been going ever since then. It's led to a lot of development for them both so far (with Isidro feeling inadequate, etc.), and will lead to more in the future. So this was not a "throwaway" moment, but a step along the way. And by the way, it's a continuation of the scene in episode 344.

Of course, it also underlines the fact the island is typically eventless (i.e. boring, see how delighted Molda is). It helps set it up as a place where Isidro harassing the girls is a "major incident", and sets up Schierke as a natural leader for dealing with his antics. It generally reinforces our picture of these magic students as dutiful and disciplined but lacking in real-world experience compared to our crew. Which is also something that might come into play later on. If the island actually gets attacked, these kids would no doubt be powerless to react... unless someone were to rise up and take command. Then they could, all together, show what they can do and fight back. Furthermore, it participates in establishing that this would be a perfect place for Schierke to stay in permanently... Which will make her decision not to stay much more meaningful when the time comes.

All of that in just eight pages.

Related to the beginning of the episode, I'm loving more and more ambiguity given to SK and Danan and that additional information given after an episode that left us questioning and speculating so much. Its just the right amount of information to narrow the discussing but keep us guessing!!

I'm so excited for the next episode! Really hoping that given the anniversary and "upcoming" exhibition we might even be able to get an extra episode or two from what we've normally come to expect. Sorry! I'm not trying to jinx anything.... Just looking at this year specifically I think we MIGHT be able to expect a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit extra? ;)

Just trying to emphasize how this is the first episode of the year in JANUARY and based on that cliffhanger... And how many episodes we could POTENTIALLY get.... This is already shaping up for one of the best years in a long time for Berserk.

I'm sorry again if Jinxing is against board rules or something but I'm just so damn excited!

Last edited:
Oops, seems like I'm a bit late to the party, but oh well!
What a fun Episode! (Not something you can say often about berserk)

Seeing a lot of people online calling the episode "trash" because of the Isidro bit and that is bloody unfair. Not only is it a nice comedic break, but It's also a great way to develop some more "Background" characters between the main plot stuff. And if you ask me, things are moving a bit toooo fast anyways even with these scenes (but with a slowish release schedule it's kind of hard to be mad at). What do people really expect, to get answers to year old questions on each and every panel?

P.S. I loved the Star Wars references! Feels like Miura wants us to lower our guard with fun moments... :void:

What else would he have needed to use the spike again for though? Because it's not like it's particularly useful in battle, besides as a distraction maybe, and why use the exact same one everytime?

Like you said, imo it's just an ornament on his armor that he used as a distance weapon to help Guts in that specific situation(it freed Guts' cannon arm from her wings' grasp.) The same spike seems to appear and disappear because it's just simply a continuity error.
Oh boy aha, the mystery continues.
0363-002.png

0362-001.png

To the episode:

people complaining also have to remember that Isidro is just a kid. He's a good kid, but you can't expect every kid to act mature as Guts was, or as Flora's pupil is.

You're in your right to be annoyed by it, but Isidro is just a goofy kid, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. I'd hate it if he started acting as mature as Guts was at the same age, that's just not Isidro.

The time will come when he has to grow up, but let the kid have his dumb fun lol.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm so excited for the next episode! Really hoping that given the anniversary and "upcoming" exhibition we might even be able to get an extra episode or two from what we've normally come to expect. Sorry! I'm not trying to jinx anything.... Just looking at this year specifically I think we MIGHT be able to expect a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit extra? ;)

Haha, one can hope.

Oh boy aha, the mystery continues.

What mystery? SK literally said going to see Hanarr would be an occasion for his armor to be repaired. So... It was repaired. We just didn't get to see the process, and I can see how that would be disappointing, but it goes along with them leaving Hanarr's place rather abruptly. I'm hoping we get an additional page in the volume, since this episode is rather short (18 pages).

What mystery? SK literally said going to see Hanarr would be an occasion for his armor to be repaired. We just didn't get to see the process.
Do you think it was repaired already?

It was an abrupt transition from the end of episode 362 to episode 363, but IMO it doesn't seem like they waited for the SK to get repairs before going to visit the Mausoleum.

The spike so far has been repaired off-screen, broken and used off-screen, and then repaired again off-screen.

Just seems odd.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think it was repaired already?

I don't think it was, I know it because it's shown in this episode. :slan:

The spike so far has been repaired off-screen, broken and used off-screen, and then repaired again off-screen.

We also never see Guts go and retrieve his throwing knives or his crossbow bolts, did you notice that? What about the new cartridges he uses for his cannon arm, he got those offscreen too... I don't know about you, but this will keep me up at night for years to come. :iva:

We also never see Guts go and retrieve his throwing knives or his crossbow bolts, did you notice that? What about the new cartridges he uses for his cannon arm, he got those offscreen too... I don't know about you, but this will keep me up at night for years to come.
Not to mention when the Berserk Armour activates and Guts other gear suddenly disappears, its the Optimus Prime trailer effect, not something the audience should waste time focusing on. Use your imagination.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Not to mention when the Berserk Armour activates and hes other gear suddenly disappears, Its the Optimus Prime trailer effect, not something the audience should waste time focusing on. Use your imagination.

Well actually my friend the process of his equipment dropping to the floor is clearly shown and explained by the way it's attached (i.e. when the helmet goes up it releases the strap and detaches everything)! It's just that few people care to look at it in detail. But to your point, Miura never spent time directly addressing it on screen (beyond two lines from Guts and Serpico in the cabin on the beach, in episode 236), because it's indeed not important enough.

I don't think it was, I know it because it's shown in this episode. :slan:

We also never see Guts go and retrieve his throwing knives or his crossbow bolts, did you notice that? What about the new cartridges he uses for his cannon arm, he got those offscreen too... I don't know about you, but this will keep me up at night for years to come. :iva:
You're probably right aha, but it's just one of those trivial things I need to know more about lol.

One difference is that we can assume Guts either retrieves his equipment or makes new one, when he has the time and materials.

SK's armor has the "ability" to repair itself, like you mentioned before. But he still wanted to go see Hannar for repairs.

We just didn't get to see the process, and I can see how that would be disappointing, but it goes along with them leaving Hanarr's place rather abruptly.

Fair enough, it could be because the armor also needed additional repairs that couldn't be auto fixed by itself, but then transition of episode 363 doesn't seem to imply that they waited in the rock forest for Hannar to do a full fix of SK's armor.

Amazing Episode.
Like mentioned in some comments, I also thought of Danan to be some kind of sister of the woman SK lost or a child between SK and Danan, would explain the same phenotype somehow? But for a child-theory the woman looks to "old/grown" for me (what is not a 100% reason to throw the thought away though). If she was a sister of Danan she could maybe be a twin.
Furthermore there are great "emotions" of SK. The fact he visited the grave shows that he can still clearly remember his past and especially the cause of his anger drivin rage.
Isidro was hilarious again and the end is just hype, can't wait for the new Episode.

Wow, incredible episode. It's pretty action packed thanks to Isidoro, and this steady stream of new information for us readers, that's been coming since the group arrived at the island is f'ing incredible. Every panel is so rich in the details, the background art - just gorgeous. I had pre-order my copy of YA, and forgot I chose express shipping - my package just arrived in record time. I've been dying to click this thread!

Thanks for summary Aaz and Puella, and all the discussions everyone. I'll need some time to digest this episode.

Matteo Metallo

Veritas Non Verba Magistri
But hit me with where you were heading, and I'll try to weigh in.
Overpower in the sense of remaining in the Moonlight Boy form by choice and not reverting back to Femto when the full moon ends. I definitely didn't explain that very well in my post.
But a night in Elfhelm is still a night in Elfhelm.

Yep, the real question is how pronounced will Griffith's presumed absence and its affect be?
Thank you! I needed these to get my perspective straight on that question.
As for overpowering Griffith, the boy has already done it. Because it's the full moon, he's taking his "true" form and has come to visit his parents. That's probably not what Griffith would have preferred to do if he had been given the choice.
Overpower was such a general way of me trying to articulate my question. For that I apologize. Just to reiterate what I said above, I'm wondering if Femto can be kept at bay even after the full moon with the help of the guru's magic while he is on Elfhelm.

Griffith

Seeing a lot of people online calling the episode "trash" because of the Isidro bit and that is bloody unfair.

Well, I guess it's a good thing the online QAnon/MAGA crowd has something harmless to focus their ire on after they couldn't "stop the steal." :griffnotevil:

Like mentioned in some comments, I also thought of Danan to be some kind of sister of the woman SK lost or a child between SK and Danan, would explain the same phenotype somehow? But for a child-theory the woman looks to "old/grown" for me (what is not a 100% reason to throw the thought away though). If she was a sister of Danan she could maybe be a twin.

If not some kind of reincarnation, I think a child would of course be interesting and REALLY put the Guts/Skully parallels into overdrive. The way it showed the two of them standing apart and his talk about no longer being the same gave it more a ring of romantic tragedy if anything though, like two lovers' remnants meeting again, but which ironically no longer contain or are capable of such love. I wonder if Skully didn't learn the lesson he imparted to Guts on the beach the hard way.

BTW, we always assumed Guts and Skully were similar, but the potential for their stories to basically be repititions of history is crazy now. Guts is basically just coming to realize Skully is like him, when he's actually just like Skully. It's also interesting to see Skully cast as not just a cautionary example of losing one's life to the armor in this fight, but essentially giving into one's rage and losing their humanity. I think before this we wouldn't have really thought of him as so pitiable or contemptible in that way, for lack of a better word. Skully is Guts after being consumed by the Beast. :sad:

Top Bottom