Episode 364

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, guys. I have a question, dunno if it was answered before, but after checking the hakusensha-e site, it seems like the layout changed drastically. I already preordered a physical copy of YA#18 from amazon.jp as soon as OP dropped the links in this very thread (regards to Heiji-sama), but I also wanted to get the digital release; to my surprise, the link seems to be broken (I don't know a single bit of Japanese, lol), and as far as I've read some previous posts in some other thread about registering to hakusensha's service, you need e-coins or something to preorder upcoming releases (Walter did mention this preordering service was a bit useless, given the fact that you can get a notification when the digital release drops {I don't really know how you activate these notifications, though, but I check the site on a daily basis so it's alright}). Anyways, my question is this, when the new episode drops on the 10th in Japan, will the digital release become available? or does it become available a bit sooner? Also, do you guys recommend using the desktop reader? I think it's a different app than the one posted in the other thread that talks about registering an account on the hakusensha site, though I certainly don't know. I'm sorry that my first post is just me asking questions like this, it's just that I'd love to read episode 364 as soon as it drops, it would be really nice, though a bit sad too. Thank you'all for your hard work.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, guys. I have a question, dunno if it was answered before, but after checking the hakusensha-e site, it seems like the layout changed drastically. I already preordered a physical copy of YA#18 from amazon.jp as soon as OP dropped the links in this very thread (regards to Heiji-sama), but I also wanted to get the digital release; to my surprise, the link seems to be broken (I don't know a single bit of Japanese, lol), and as far as I've read some previous posts in some other thread about registering to hakusensha's service, you need e-coins or something to preorder upcoming releases (Walter did mention this preordering service was a bit useless, given the fact that you can get a notification when the digital release drops {I don't really know how you activate these notifications, though, but I check the site on a daily basis so it's alright}). Anyways, my question is this, when the new episode drops on the 10th in Japan, will the digital release become available? or does it become available a bit sooner? Also, do you guys recommend using the desktop reader? I think it's a different app than the one posted in the other thread that talks about registering an account on the hakusensha site, though I certainly don't know. I'm sorry that my first post is just me asking questions like this, it's just that I'd love to read episode 364 as soon as it drops, it would be really nice, though a bit sad too. Thank you'all for your hard work.
The layout of Hakusensha-e looks the same to me. If you need help buying the issue, you could check my video tutorial which explains how to find Young Animal on the site and how to buy it. Or just wait for the link straight to the magazine listing to be posted in this thread the moment that it's available. If they follow the same URL structure, then it'll be this: https://www.hakusensha-e.net/store/product/2830XXXXyanimal02118 but for now that's a dead link.

I really don't recommend preordering the digital release, as it's confusing and pointless to buy things with their coin currency. The only benefit is an email notification the moment that it arrives. And that'd be useful if there weren't already thousands of people already scouting for the release. Look for it to drop around 11am-12pm on Thursday, Sept 9, which is midnight on Sept 10 in Japan.

The layout of Hakusensha-e looks the same to me. If you need help buying the issue, you could check my video tutorial which explains how to find Young Animal on the site and how to buy it. Or just wait for the link straight to the magazine listing to be posted in this thread the moment that it's available.

I really don't recommend preordering the digital release, as it's confusing and pointless to buy things with their coin currency. The only benefit is an email notification the moment that it arrives. And that'd be useful if there weren't already thousands of people already scouting for the release. Look for it to drop around 11am-12pm on Thursday, Sept 9, which is midnight on Sept 10 in Japan.
Oh, that sounds great then, thanks for specifying a concrete hour to wait for the digital release, Walter. I really appreciate it. And yeah, the layout in your tutorial video matches the current one, I was just talking about the tutorial images and the secret word bit thing (is that still necessary, by the way? so far I haven't been asked by the site to enable this security measure, so to speak). Thanks for your help and fast reply.

Young Animal cover posted on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Berserk/comments/pjhcch/berserk_on_young_animal_issue_18_cover/

872izlhbx0m71.jpg

Does this look way different to anyone?
Not really, this was definitely drawn by Miura. I saw some people on twitter writing nonsense like it being drawn by his assistants, which simply doesn't make sense.

Them using a black and white drawing also makes sense, since it's a memorial issue. Guts is missing his white patch of hair, but it's possible that this is one of the illustrations that Miura drew for the Berserk Exhibition, or simply an unfinished panel from a future release.

Holy shit, what an epic tribute cover! It especially stands out given Young Animals usual covers :iva:

The text choice/format also gives it a really classy feel. It would be even cooler if the back wasn't an ad spread but I won't get my hopes up!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Holy shit, what an epic tribute cover! It especially stands out given Young Animals usual covers :iva:

Well, Guts' is at least dressed accordingly. :slan:

Very cool cover though, very clean and a lovely tribute, and brings to mind not only the classic Black Swordsman era but also Guts' oft shirtless Falcons days (and him practicing swinging his sword is almost universally thematically fitting, whatever the era). Very much looking forward to getting my copy in the mail, especially now that it won't look like I'm just importing girlie magazines. I really buy it for the writing inside. :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
This is an official statement about the future of Berserk, from YA #18....

Thank you Vslayder. Nothing surprising. Episode (not chapter, damnit!) 364's inking wasn't fully done, so the assistants completed it.

Nothing to announce beyond that. Which is to be expected at this point. Even if a continuation project were to be started, it might take years before it goes public. More importantly, it wouldn't be the same. Berserk as we know it ends with episode 364. It's going to be an emotional week...

If anything, I'm glad they took the time to affirm they will always put Miura's will first. I truly hope that they do even years down the line. Berserk is special and should be treated as such.

If Miura would have wanted a continuation to be made, then it should be made. If he wouldn't have wanted that, then it would be for the best if it isn't produced. I'm very, very glad that his wishes are at the forefront in the consideration of this critical decision. I've spoken on the forums here about how a bleak future could be in the cards if extreme care isn't first taken. It's comforting knowing that regardless of the path that is taken, that won't be in the cards.

For now, and possibly for good, this is the end. I don't think I've ever anticipated reading a chapter of anything in my life more than I do now. In many respects it feels like the end of a large chapter of my life, then the end of something, and the beginning of something else.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
If Miura would have wanted a continuation to be made, then it should be made. If he wouldn't have wanted that, then it would be for the best if it isn't produced. I'm very, very glad that his wishes are at the forefront in the consideration of this critical decision.

This is a false dichotomy. Miura sensei passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. He did not anticipate that he wouldn't be able to finish Berserk. If he had left instructions that no one should touch his story "in case something happened", then that would have been communicated.

So this is just the wrong way to frame Young Animal's statement. What they're saying is they won't sanction a project that they feel wouldn't have met his approval. Whether that will prove true in the future or not is another matter entirely. Personally I don't believe any other author could do Berserk justice.

The fact the assistants had to finish it afterwards is a heartbreaking detail, big thanks to them. This will be one hell of a last episode, and from that image you can tell that the final page will be a big shot of Griffith from the front.

In regards to Young Animal, im glad that their approach is first and foremost protecting Miuras legacy, rather than just making a rash decision 4 months after his passing.

The fact his unfortunate passing occured during an episode where Guts and Griffith meet eye to eye again is simply still unbelievable to me. It feels like a sick joke, but at the same time i am extremely appreciative that we are still able to see 364 and get an official release of Volume 41.

I still feel an extreme sense of frustration over his passing, but we have to try and remember Miura for what he gave us, instead of being miserable over what we weren't able to see.

Last edited:
Helps clear the speculation that some had regarding future episodes that Miura had "finished", at the very least.

There's something to be said about the assistants being able to wrap up the episode that their sensei had passed away working on. Thank you very much, guys.

Thanks for the info. They essentially say that this is the end, as it should be. I hoped at least for a 365 to exist but it is what it is, more than that never seemed realistic anyway.

Well, emotional rollercoaster, here we come.

Last edited:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I have already started the ride. Mixed mood and emotions are visiting me as we approch the release each day.

Im glad to have that little letter for us fans, to have more clarification and as much as it saddens me to say it, it is for the best to end it like that. It will be like a big hard pill to swallow but once its done it'll be just like bitter sweet memories.

At least Ill always have my volumes at the ready and will keep my good old tradition of reading it once or twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom