Episode 371

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A small detail occurred to me: We're seven episodes into Volume 42 territory (365–371). And the last two volumes were just seven episodes each. If that's the case, Volume 42 could be announced shortly. Of course, now that they're very actively spitting out episodes, maybe they'll wait for more before binding it in a volume. Afterall, seven episodes was the absolute minimum to constitute a volume, and the '90s had as many as 11 episodes.

One thing that's starting to stick out to me is how often they're flashing back to old events. We've had like four or five full pages of such panels so far. It's not like it's unwarranted in the scenes I suppose, and Miura would do it occasionally, but it's starting to feel like they're clinging to familiar imagery to remind the audience that "this is totally the same story we promise".
No no no, you see they had to show (again) that the sword worked in the past and now Guts is (still) very very sad. Veeery important stuff!

Sure, you could ask why Guts doesn't come to the conclusion that Griffith isn't like the Apostles or monsters he fought in the past (he should already know that tho) and that he should have expected that killing him with the dragonslayer won't be that easy...but he is so very very very sad that he can't think about that...or Casca.

Edit: I just remembered something: Didn't Guts try to attack Femto and failed in a very early episode?? Not during the Eclipse but later in the timeline. And now he acts like it's totally shocking and unexpected that he couldn't hit Griffith. Jesus what is Mori doing to this character? Nothing makes any sense.

Last edited:
The Beast of Darkness isn't a demon that lives inside the armor. It's a narrative device that personifies Guts' darkest side. His hatred for his enemies, his deepest fears, his guilt and resentment, his self-destructive tendencies... It's a purely psychological construct. Something that only exists in his mind, not an external entity. So if "his mind disappeared", then so would the Beast. Anyway, as I said in my post just above, given Guts' current state, it makes no sense for the Beast of Darkness to surge forward. If anything it should be at its weakest.
I know, and I agree that's how it should work; I was trying to be cheeky. :sweatdrop: But it's such a common misconception, I think Studio Gaga could be thinking like that. Guts's consciousness recedes -> Beast is free to take over and go on a rampage.

I hope not, but I'm losing more faith in this continuation episode by episode. So many decisions taken have just been bad, almost bafflingly bad. :judo:

Edit: I just remembered something: Didn't Guts try to attack Femto and failed in a very early episode?? Not during the Eclipse but later in the timeline. And now he acts like it's totally shocking that he failed again. Jesus what is Mori doing to this character?
He did

The revelation of the sea behind Falconia, left me without words....After all they fucked up in the last episodes this for me it's the cherry on the top

After this pearl and from their way of keeping depicting the berserker armor and the beast of Darkness relation, I'm really starting to fear that they didn't let the armor activate during the duel with Griffith because they may be using it as a power up to kill him in the end.

Last edited:
Edit: I just remembered something: Didn't Guts try to attack Femto and failed in a very early episode?? Not during the Eclipse but later in the timeline. And now he acts like it's totally shocking and unexpected that he couldn't hit Griffith. Jesus what is Mori doing to this character? Nothing makes any sense.

He failed to strike Femto in the Black Swordman arc, but to be fair Femto actively resisted his efforts, flinging him away. He didn't just stand there with Guts unable to hit him regardless. Still not sure if that's a new power or the new, poor way of depicting Griffith being untouchable, like the volley of arrows mysteriously all missing him in War Cry Of The Wind.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I know, and I agree that's how it should work; I was trying to be cheeky.
:sweatdrop:
But it's such a common misconception, I think Studio Gaga could be thinking like that. Guts's consciousness recedes -> Beast is free to take over and go on a rampage.

Ah, I see. Unfortunately, because these misconceptions are so widespread, it's better to make it clear when you're joking. :sweatdrop: Anyway, as for what Studio Gaga is thinking... My gut feeling is that they're just reaching for imagery that's visually striking and cool, without putting too much thought on whether it makes sense or not.

I'm really starting to fear that they didn't let the armor activate during the duel with Griffith because they may be using it as a power up to kill him in the end.

Let's hope not...

Still not sure if that's a new power or the new, poor way of depicting Griffith being untouchable, like the volley of arrows mysteriously all missing him in War Cry Of The Wind.

It functions exactly like what we saw in Shet, so I assume it's the same thing. Schierke's comment also goes that way. Of course, that only underscores how over the top Guts' reaction is. It feels like it could be cleared up in 30 seconds.

Guts: *sniffle* Why, oh why couldn't I hit him? :judo:
Schierke: He's got a magic thing going on, very powerful.
Guts: Oh. Right, he is one of those God Hand guys after all. Whoops, I forgot. Uh, you couldn't nullify it or something, by any chance?
Schierke: Yeah probably, I should ask the Great Gurus.
Guts: Alright, great! I'm back in business! Just kinda feels like I forgot about something or someone though... Oh well, probably nothing important.

until 364 we were witnessing actual history, after that it was written down by historians. kinda like GRRM did in that one book, so don’t take anything as fact, and even if the historian says guts didn’t think about casca, thats still only the historians guess. (my cope). I’m pretty sure guts thought about casca here, the historian simply didnt know.

No no no, you see they had to show (again) that the sword worked in the past and now Guts is (still) very very sad. Veeery important stuff!

Sure, you could ask why Guts doesn't come to the conclusion that Griffith isn't like the Apostles or monsters he fought in the past (he should already know that tho) and that he should have expected that killing him with the dragonslayer won't be that easy...but he is so very very very sad that he can't think about that...or Casca.

There's another thing I noticed.
It seems that Mori it's completely ignoring the fact that Guts son and Griffith share the same flesh (and I hope I'm wrong).
I don't know when or how Miura would have addressed this, but Guts hasn't made that connection at all in the last episodes.

Yes, this is at least a reason to re-introduce Skull Knight into the story. He will probably come back and do some explanation about it ("As dictated by Causality" :SK:).
But strikes me as odd, since it could potentially bring more drama to Guts breakdown, when he was actually fighting with Griffith.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
There's another thing I noticed.
It seems that Mori it's completely ignoring the fact that Guts son and Griffith share the same flesh (and I hope I'm wrong).
I don't know when or how Miura would have addressed this, but Guts hasn't made that connection at all in the last episodes.

Yeah I mentioned this a number of times over the course of the previous episodes. Casca's abduction is the most egregious thing to ignore, but not reflecting on the fact the boy transformed into Griffith in front of his eyes is an easy second.

Yes, this is at least a reason to re-introduce Skull Knight into the story. He will probably come back and do some explanation about it ("As dictated by Causality" :SK:).

I'd prefer not having to endure another instance of empty, crudely imitated dialogue from the Skull Knight. Not to mention that Guts could put two and two together. He saw his son inside the beherit apostle at the tower. He thought back to him when the Boy in the Moonlight first made an appearance. And Griffith pretty much explained what was happening in episode 364.

I was curious to see how this episode was going to turn out. Yeesh. Zodd looked terrible, and so did everything else tbh. I was trying to keep a positive outlook on this endeavor but find myself rapidly wishing they didn't bother to continue...

Just making some (probably stupid) questions.

Right now Guts is at his lowest.
Can the Behelit that he's carrying activate?
Would that be reasonable at this point in the story?

I know he wouldn't sacrifice anyone, otherwise it would completely kill him as a character.
Having said that though...the God Hand members always appears when a Behelit is activated.
Could this be used as an opportunity to strike them?

Guts probably wouldn't even do a thing, but if Skully is nearby, maybe he can actually do something.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Right now Guts is at his lowest.
Can the Behelit that he's carrying activate?
Would that be reasonable at this point in the story?

I don't think it would make sense.

the God Hand members always appears when a Behelit is activated.
Could this be used as an opportunity to strike them?

Nope. He asked Flora that question in volume 24. It doesn't work like that. Besides, a similar situation already happened in volume 3.

I don't think it would make sense.

Nope. He asked Flora that question in volume 24. It doesn't work like that. Besides, a similar situation already happened in volume 3.
This is why I was thinking about this, but with the possibility of Skully intervening.
Anyway, thanks for the reminder about Flora.

until 364 we were witnessing actual history, after that it was written down by historians. kinda like GRRM did in that one book, so don’t take anything as fact, and even if the historian says guts didn’t think about casca, thats still only the historians guess. (my cope). I’m pretty sure guts thought about casca here, the historian simply didnt know.
As far as I'm concerned, nothing after 364 is canon. I don't care if the continuation is legally recognized as official Berserk material. It already contradicts too much from Miura's original run to be compatible with it. For Godhand's sake, they turned the capital of Midland into a coastal city.

The Dragon Slayer has memories now? I know it's imbued with astral power, but it's not sentient right? That's the impression I got from the latest episode.

Sadly, this continuation only compounds the absence of Miura with each instalment. Guts having an emotional nadir after the loss of Casca, those feelings of powerlessness, and the revelation of his son, would have been an extremely profound moment in the hands of its creator. Instead, it's all too simplistic and lacking in nuance. And unfortunately that's the state of play going forward with the series.

The Dragon Slayer has memories now? I know it's imbued with astral power, but it's not sentient right? That's the impression I got from the latest episode.

Sadly, this continuation only compounds the absence of Miura with each instalment. Guts having an emotional nadir after the loss of Casca, those feelings of powerlessness, and the revelation of his son, would have been an extremely profound moment in the hands of its creator. Instead, it's all too simplistic and lacking in nuance. And unfortunately that's the state of play going forward with the series.
I don’t really see how you thought dragon slayer had memories; didn’t get that impression. But yeah i agree i wish there was more inner dialogue it seems like guts has reverted alot but at the same time slan did mention in fotme that guts’ fear is as strong as his rage and the worst case scenario did happen so maybe he’s just completely defeated . Would make sense as well as even back then he rejected that magic axe when the rest of the party was accepting their gifts because he was that confident about his sword and ability; now connecting to 371 where he says it was all for nothing perhaps that is the connection studio gaga is tryna make. Hard to really know

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t really see how you thought dragon slayer had memories; didn’t get that impression.

I believe Masa was sarcastically pointing out how poor of a choice it is to have Guts reflect on "times he used his sword".

the worst case scenario did happen

The worst case scenario being that he didn't manage to hurt Griffith with his sword?

Would make sense as well as even back then he rejected that magic axe when the rest of the party was accepting their gifts because he was that confident about his sword and ability; now connecting to 371 where he says it was all for nothing perhaps that is the connection studio gaga is tryna make. Hard to really know

I can't fault you for trying to rationalize what's on the page, however I guarantee you they aren't trying to make that connection. I'd be surprised if they even remembered that scene, honestly.

Guts has always been confident in his fighting ability (rightly so), and his prowess wasn't the issue here, nor was it his sword. Using that axe would have made no difference because it seems Griffith can deflect any attack using his tremendous power. He even deflected the Skull Knight's special sword technique on top of Ganishka! The problem is really with how things are depicted, meaning with the choices Mori and Studio Gaga have made. Sadly, they're just not doing a very good job.

With stuff like Sega recently hiring for what basically amounts to a "Sonic lore advisor" position, it feels like Studio Gaga dearly needed something similar to help keep concepts consistent with Miura's work.

Agreed; this is what I've been thinking lately. I've tried giving Mori and Studio Gaga the benefit of the doubt given the impossible task they took upon themselves, but putting an ocean next to Falconia was a bit much. It's a bit distressing to me that the people who had been working on Berserk for years somehow have a lesser grasp of the details than many of the people who just read it.

Then again, this does remind me of an interview with some ex-Team Andromeda folks, and Hidetoshi Takeshita (the chief programmer) didn't actually know much about the game outside of the code.

But even then, Mori really should've taken it upon himself to get a grip on the details and not let so many inconsistencies through.

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
Misconstruing Schierke's body of light

The most egregious problem with episode 371 is something I don't expect many people will pick up on. It's the fact whoever wrote this doesn't understand what Schierke does when she intervenes to help Guts control the Berserk's armor. You see, Schierke has never gone inside Guts' mind. What she does, as a witch, is go inside the armor, which is a magical device. That's how she can "wake him up", by basically shielding him from or pulling him out of the flow of Od that distorts his perception.

But she doesn't have the ability to just go into people's minds and see what's in there. If she did, the group would have had no need to travel all the way to Skellig. She could have ventured inside Casca's mind all by herself. Note that we don't even see her even go inside him here anyway, she just hovers around in her body of light and somehow sees what's in his head. That actually makes even less sense, especially since she's eventually "repelled" back to her body because of what she sees or feels.
It's been a minute since episode 371 has been released but I've just randomly thought about this whilst re-reading Berserk.

I wonder how this quote is in line with episode 245, where Shierke seems to read memories of fallen Kushan slaves, just like she did with Guts in this episode here - albeit not in her body of light. (I've posted the relevant episode excerpt below)

1701023581386.png1701023618201.png

Is this situation different since the Kushans are already dead and are now, I would presume, living in the interstice, unable to move on which enables Shierke to experience past memories that cause their demise?

I agree that Shierke cannot have the ability to simply read peoples mind, but I wonder what exactly she does differently here with the Kushans in contrast to Guts in episode 371.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Is this situation different since the Kushans are already dead and are now, I would presume, living in the interstice, unable to move on which enables Shierke to experience past memories that cause their demise?

It's different in a number of ways. In that case, she's able to commune with the dead spirit by touching the rope to which it is still tied in death. That is what leads her to hypnotize the soldiers and make them burn the bodies, freeing the spirits.

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
In that case, she's able to commune with the dead spirit by touching the rope to which it is still tied in death. That is what leads her to hypnotize the soldiers and make them burn the bodies, freeing the spirits.
So it does have to do with the fact that it is a spirit?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So it does have to do with the fact that it is a spirit?

Yes but not just that, she also has to come into "direct" contact with it by grabbing the rope. In a way it's like the dead spirit is possessing it, which allows her this deeper connection.

Similarly, when evil spirits possess people, they are also able to peer into their minds. A good example is with Farnese at the beginning of volume 17.

Top Bottom