Farnese's mother; neglectful, yet insightful

I found Farnese's mother to be a very interesting character. Upon my first reading through this part of the series I found her puzzling. She has been neglectful for most of Farnese's life, but then takes a seemingly sudden interest in her daughter. Farnese's mother is first introduction in volume 22 and nothing is revealed about her, except that she is a neglectful mother who has lost herself in “dissipation”. The definition of dissipation is “an idle or frivolous amusement or diversion; indulgence in pleasure to the point of harming oneself; intemperance”. So who knows what all she's been getting herself into, but I think it's likely alcoholism and dalliances with men. Since we're told that Farnese's father is basically never around, I guess that isn't too surprising.

In volume 29, when Farnese returns to her family, she is at a low point. Farnese is doubting herself and feeling lost. It's at this point that her mother shows up. Her mother gives Farnese this amazing insight into who she is, how she communicates, and how she is viewed by her father. I feel like through all these revelations she is empowering Farnese, holding a mirror up for her to see herself as she never has before; as this wild untamed creature, who is actually feared by her father, the very person Farnese herself fears the most. At this time in her life when Farnese is feeling defeated and useless these disclosures from her mother are well needed. Her mother is clearly aware that Farnese was severely neglected in her childhood. She doesn't apologize for this, but she tells Farnese how her painful past might actually be something that gives her depth and a kind of honesty she might not have had otherwise. Her mother seems to be a woman who is capable of sizing those around her up with uncommon clarity, but who keeps herself at a distance. She seems to keep herself detached in a way and I don't get the feeling that she is remorseful for her nonexistent parenting. Her mother does tell Farnese she is proud to have her as a daughter, which is probably something Farnese has never heard before. Farnese doesn't appear to hold any resentment towards her mother. Later, at the ball the conversation Farnese's mother has with Serpico also reveals her to be a woman of remarkable perception and insight. Serpico notes that she is very astute.

In volume 30 it's revealed that Farnese's mother is envious of how free a person she is. Perhaps she herself feels very trapped by the world of high society that she lives in and by a family that shows so little love for each other, but seems to be more interested in how they can use each other to their own advantage. Her mother seems to really respect the person Farnese is becoming and to genuinely wish the best for her.

I love how expansive Miura makes the world of Berserk feel. There is so much going on. Through these engaging side characters like Farnese's mother I get this cool feeling of a wide and rich world going on outside the main storyline. I just think it's pretty neat that he's able to do that. It's something I don't remember feeling when reading any other manga.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I also liked that character a great deal.

JMP said:
I love how expansive Miura makes the world of Berserk feel. There is so much going on. Through these engaging side characters like Farnese's mother I get this cool feeling of a wide and rich world going on outside the main storyline. I just think it's pretty neat that he's able to do that.

Indeed, it's one of the strengths of Berserk.

Top Bottom