Favorite Volume?

R

-rob-

I looked around for a thread like this and couldn't find 1, so I figured I would start 1.

What would you say is the greatest volume in Berserk?

For me, I gotta go with 11. I like to consider it "Guts wake up call".

Wow this is tough. I saw the anime first so Volume 3 where Guts met up with the God Hand again was very cool. But my fav thus far out of 29 would have to be volume 16. It shows Guts as a true animal with the beating he takes and how he keeps coming back for more. He's a very dark character in this one. And I love how The Holy Knights react once they finally witness the horror of the Black Swordsman first hand.

scroto

Mmm....You don't say?
Gotta go with Volume 27, the fight with the Neo band of the hawk at Flora's just looked so amazing it was like finally seeing the Guts VS apostles VS Humans VS God hand ULTIMATE BATTLE!!!... but not quite.

It really made a believer outta me that Guts can take on anything and actually persevere, as opposed to surviving. Man this manga is so good.

Honorable mention for Volume 22 with the Zodd VS Guts fight, another great moment, but I feel that Vol. 27 had more of the wow factor going for it.

Opie

The Sex Icon
I'll go with 7 and 8. I love the old style Guts and Griffith relationship and the Hawks rise to fame. Watching the tragedy of the manga setting itself up is definitely something that stays with me. Besides, Griffith as the political animal was an awsome read on its own.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
My favorite was probably volume 16, definitely the volumes from the Lost Children chapter at least. I think some of it is sentimental, since those were the first volumes I ever read. :serpico:

I like them all so much though, it's tough to pin down even a few.

yota821 said:
Volume 9. The intro of SK was pretty badass, and still is :SK:.

its true. 9 was my fav. Guts and Caska Finaly hooked up, Griffith was saved? or was that 10 that Griffith was saved in I dont know. Either way everything was wonderful and the shark had yet to be jumped.

Hard question because a lot of them are awesome.

I will go with volume 3 (god hand 's first apparition), volume 11 (Wyald kicks ass), 13 (everything is explained concerning Guts's anger and it is crazy).

I don't know why but I like volume 17 even if it is mainly a transition but the encounter of Farnese and the horse and seeing the face of Casca at the end worth it.

Volume 22, 23 and 24 are really nice because a lot of new elements are intruduced.

To be honnest I love most of them, except one, the volume 2 because I red through it some years ago as a first introduction to berserk, and for me it was just fight without a story. Today obviously I change my mind ,but because of this volume I was close to miss one of the best serie of the times.

And you, do you have a least favorite volume?

dawy said:
And you, do you have a least favorite volume?

As far as I'm concerned, I have always found the Lost Children Arc a bit too long! Not that I don't like that part of the story, but a bit too long... So maybe Volumes 15 or 16 (beginning) are the ones I like the least!

I can't choose either, it's all leading from one part of the epic story to the next, and needless to say the quality has been consistent from the start so I simply can't choose. Besides I basically read volumes 1 to 25 within 10 days of first getting them so individual volumes have little meaning to me.

asmer said:
As far as I'm concerned, I have always found the Lost Children Arc a bit too long! Not that I don't like that part of the story, but a bit too long... So maybe Volumes 15 or 16 (beginning) are the ones I like the least!

I guess opinions do differ on other people... Seeing Guts in his berserk state back in vol 16/17 really bring out his quest for revenge...

Smith said:
I guess opinions do differ on other people... Seeing Guts in his berserk state back in vol 16/17 really bring out his quest for revenge...
Yes, it's true. What I meant is not that this part of the manga is less important to the story than the rest, but more that the fight in itself against Roshinu, and the whole Arc, was a bit too long for me... However, I did like it, too! As much as the rest of the manga! But there is other parts I like better, like Griffith's Rebirth, or all the recent events! But I had like more information on the Neo-Hawks, for example, compared to how deep we went into Roshinu and Jill's story! :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
Yes, it's true. What I meant is not that this part of the manga is less important to the story than the rest, but more that the fight in itself against Roshinu, and the whole Arc, was a bit too long for me...

The Lost Children chapter spans only 23 episodes, it's actually relatively short. The Retribution arc isn't particularly long either, compared to the other arcs, and it includes events that you say you like. I don't think you can back up your opinion with objective facts on this precise matter, so you'd better leave it as it is, IMHO, since you don't need to justify yourself anyway. :SK:

Aazealh said:
so you'd better leave it as it is, IMHO, since you don't need to justify yourself anyway. :SK:

Well, I guess as they say, opinions do differ on other people! It's not really a matter of justifying oneself here, I already read that part of the manga (as well as most of the rest) quite a few times, and every time... I feel it's a bit too long! It's not necessarily the length of the Chapter, you're right at that, but more what I feel when I read it! But that's just IMHO... :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
I feel it's a bit too long! It's not necessarily the length of the Chapter, you're right at that, but more what I feel when I read it!

Yeah, that's why I said you didn't need to try to back it up with hard facts.

xbigvmanx

Gutz is a Bad azz
The story between volume 24-26. This was kind of turning point for Guts where establishes a bond with his new companions, hope is given to him to help him fight the forces within and without. In a way, he's being the hero that he should be someone who faithfully protects his companions but at the same time reluctantly protects the weak against the forces of evil.

Top Bottom