Favorite Volume?

so far i have only read the manga realesed in the united states, but out of those i will have to say the first 3 were the best since they had the best battles. Also its the first time you see a lot of thing first time you see the god hand, first time you see guts kick but first time you meat pluck. The only problem is its a spoiler, you know that griffith is going to turn evil you know guts is going to loose an arm, ect. Cant wait for the laater ones through.

Abstraction

Darkness is looking back at you
TheBeast43105 said:
I'd have to go with Volume 9 cause Guts and Casca get together in that one and just for a second everything is hunky dory in the world of Berserk, and that is a rare thing!

Not to nit pick, but I don't think Griffith would have appreciated that ...lol :griff:

I'd have to go with volume 13. I watched the anime before reading the manga's so some of it was spoiled... but yeah... it was still mind blowing stuff.

general zig said:
so far i have only read the manga realesed in the united states, but out of those i will have to say the first 3 were the best since they had the best battles. Also its the first time you see a lot of thing first time you see the god hand, first time you see guts kick but first time you meat pluck. The only problem is its a spoiler, you know that griffith is going to turn evil you know guts is going to loose an arm, ect. Cant wait for the laater ones through.

Eh i actually think that its a good move because if you had no idea what was to happen around 12/13, i think it'd be too drastic a change. From Volumes 4-10, with the exception of zodd, there is almost no magic or fantasy elements in the series. I think it'd be too much for most people to all of a sudden have all these apostles appear out of nowhere and eat everyone. Thats my opinion at least

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
Because a lot of the fights and story continue between volumes, I will have to select a couple of double volumes. 2-3, with Guts fighting the Daemon and then the Slug Apostle, though Guts' is introduced as a complete badass in 1, I still think this is the part where he really shines in the first arc.

15-16 with Guts fighting Roshinu, and giving his speech to Jill. Shows some of Guts' true character, his rage when fighting, and his compassion when dealing with true innocents.

20-21, Guts' fight with Mozgus, I believe is his name, is absolutely wonderful, and I love the inner dialogue of Farnese when Guts' finally wins her over. It is probably one of the most inspiring moments in Berserk.

And 26, because Slan shows up, and she's just so damn hot, and then we get to see Berserker Guts' in action for the first time.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
Volume 17 sticks out in my mind with Farnese and Serpico's more formal introduction, not to mention the immpressive and repulsive fight with the animal possesing demons. It's such a interesting turning point in the series, it remains one of my absolute favorite parts.

The following saga with Mozgus however, may be my absolute favorite, between the queesy scenes the cult, Mozgus' actions, the reunion with Caska, Griffith's Incarnation, The Beherit Apostle, Skull knight's sword, Isidro's introduction etc. It's one of the busiest, goriest, most exciting, fast paced, and ultimately thrilling story arcs.

Not that the rest of the series is a slouch by any means, it just contains some of my favorite moments.

Too tough to decide. Some I like more than others though. Some that really stood out were
I love 2 the fight with the count.
7&8 the battle of Doldrey
11 I loved the fight against Wyald
12&13 From when :griffnotevil: finds the Behelet to when :guts: and :casca: wake up a few days later
22 The New Band of the hawk
26&27 troll cave battle against grunbeld introduction to :ganishka:
as you can see I'm bad at picking favorites

Ill have to go with 26-27 here....

There was just so much awesome going on in these volumes, it went from the troll battle in the cave to seeing Slan and SK again, To an awesome fight with Grunbeld and the Berserker armour, then an awesome fight with the neo band of the hawk against Ganishka. There was just LOTS of action and plot developement and it was all handled very well.

I love them all, but if I were held at gunpoint I think I’d choose volume 18 as my favorite, simply because it’s got such an intense narrative. There’s so much going on: Guts testing the sword on a flock of kushans, Silat and the Tapasa showing up for a second, poverty, desperation, hopelessness and heresy in Albion, introduction of the enigmatic Beherit-apostle, brutal medieval torture techniques in the Tower of Retribution, Luca - the prostitute with a heart of gold, sympathetic torturers with fancy bird-masks, heretic-fires, the reunion with Skull Knight, and even a good old-fashioned orgy.

D-Scape said:
I love them all, but if I were held at gunpoint I think I’d choose volume 18 as my favorite, simply because it’s got such an intense narrative. There’s so much going on: Guts testing the sword on a flock of kushans, Silat and the Tapasa showing up for a second, poverty, desperation, hopelessness and heresy in Albion, introduction of the enigmatic Beherit-apostle, brutal medieval torture techniques in the Tower of Retribution, Luca - the prostitute with a heart of gold, sympathetic torturers with fancy bird-masks, heretic-fires, the reunion with Skull Knight, and even a good old-fashioned orgy.

Volume 18 is probably one of my least favorites, solely because as a stand alone it is just a tease. Overall it contributes immensely to the story (Don't forget we are also introduced to Isidro. [:isidro: one of my fave characters])

When I compartmentalize Berserk as a whole and think of my favorite volume I have a stand alone complex.

I used to think my favorites were 22 or 26. These days I am not so sure. I believe that I will like 34 an awful lot.

Also, 31 just came out in America a few weeks ago and it rocked.

My favorite volumes would be 12 when Slan is appearing out of the faces & V34 showing dragons and more dragons plus slan's domain. :slan: course my choices could be biased for a character.
In terms of volume for sheer violence I'd say volume 13.

My favorite volume is volume 8. Everything is all happiness, Griffith and the Hawks are getting some credit for what they've done and then Guts decides to leave and defeats Griffith to do so. We also get to see Casca dressed in a fancy dress and I personally think this is the most beautiful she's ever looked. Finally, this is the first volume I ever purchased (back in 2001 if memory serves.)

Oburi

All praise Grail
m said:
My favorite volume is volume 8. Everything is all happiness, Griffith and the Hawks are getting some credit for what they've done and then Guts decides to leave and defeats Griffith to do so. We also get to see Casca dressed in a fancy dress and I personally think this is the most beautiful she's ever looked. Finally, this is the first volume I ever purchased (back in 2001 if memory serves.)

You bought the Japanese version?

Oburi said:
You bought the Japanese version?

Yep. I got it at a comic convention. They had a few volumes and the art book but I could only afford one volume and I chose number 8.

X

Xem

My favorite parts in the story are when Guts is fighting Rosine and when Guts is rescuing Griffith from the Midland prison, but oddly, at the moment I'm somewhat partial to volume 17. Not really sure why, it just happens to be the volume I grab most instinctively when I don't have time to figure out which one I should read the most.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
My favorite parts in the story are when Guts is fighting Rosine and when Guts is rescuing Griffith from the Midland prison, but oddly, at the moment I'm somewhat partial to volume 17. Not really sure why, it just happens to be the volume I grab most instinctively when I don't have time to figure out which one I should read the most.
It's also probably my favorite. It just has so much going on in it. You get a glimpse at post-eclipse Wyndham, an enlightening scene from Zodd's perspective and that powerful scene when in Godot's cave, Guts dedicates himself to Casca. "Never again."

My favourite part starts from the time Guts joins the Band of the Hawk after his departure. He and Casca finally get together (the waterfall scene is one of my favourites), they rescue Griffith, the fight with Wyald is also one of my favourites in the whole series and just when everything seems to be more or less fine and dandy the eclipse comes and it's such a shocking event. So I guess that's volumes 10-13.

I think mine are Volume 9 and Volume 26.

Volume 9
Has a lot of storyline "Oh shit moments"
-Like Griffith and the princess (Griffith getting caught there after)
-The rejection of the band of the hawk.
-Lots of Casca and Guts (The love scene)
-Most importantly I think this is the point where I first stopped hating Casca for the first time. When I first watched the anime I just thought she was so head strong that she was unlikeable. That she was just a complex Griffith infatuated entity in female form. Vol. 9 really turns that around 180 and you fall in love her pretty easy and pretty quick. (If you haven't at this point.)

Up to the point of volume 9, I kinda got this notion that Casca is just character that is going to lay down her life for Griffith at some point, so that kinda forces you to invest less interest/love into her. She's said a few times she would die for him. So, that kinda makes you question her worth and where she is going to end up in the overall scheme of things.

But come Volume 9, the favor switches from Griffith, to Guts. To me, since she is suddenly so invested in Guts, and not Griffith, I adopted her. She has become part of Guts and his happiness. So, to me shes part of Guts as a character. I'm not entirely saying Casca's worth is determined who she is with, be Guts or Griffith. I just think it wasn't until she was with Guts that you grasp "oh she was made for Guts all along, shes going to be sticking around, and I kinda like that."

Volume 26
I wish I could of seen my reaction to the introduction of the use of the Berserk Armor. That thing is simply insane. Through out the whole series I was unconvinced when I heard this kind of thing: "Oh Guts is more of a monster than the monsters he is fighting ect..." Until he used the Berserker Armor. OH MY GOD!

-First you get the conclusion of the troll storyline which is really freaky (especially the woman birthing the troll babies.)
-Then Guts slaughters a crowd of trolls, there is all these "close calls while escaping" then you get a whopping moment with the appearance of Slan! Then the Skullknight! Then the awesome Slan encounter! (Not to mention the inclusion of the Sword of Actuation! --->DK translation of course.)
-You get to see Mr.Isi make good use of his skills. :isidro:
-You get just a second to realize "Oh crap Guts has his own NEW group of friends" something by this time seems really out of place, and you really start getting a new insuring source of strength and hope with the group.
-After the escape you sadly see the mistress die, followed by the introduction of the berserker armor, against a dragon! How can you go wrong? More so, Grunbeld being very intimidating, really gets his butt handed to him which brings back that sense of "doesn't matter how big they are against Guts" feeling. Like when Guts fought Bazuso as a kid.
-I get uptight about apostles in numbers because of the past in Berserk, this fight scene with the berserker armor really takes a load off. Helps me feel that Guts really does stand a long term chance and doesn't always have to fight to a inch of his life. I guess what I'm saying is Guts keeps getting tools to ease his journey that is plagued with blood bathes, and dread. There are times when I thought it was going to be hard to smile after certain things. I have found little more enjoyable then seeing apostles be-littled to the equivalent of: taking care of Guts "light work." But of course none of this with out a price. As we see in volume 27.

Honorable Mention:
Volume 31
This is the action lovers wet dream. I mean there is everything in this volume.
-Guts kills a crowd of monsters while escaping.
-Schierke summons a being.
-They get through such odds then get countered by sea beast.
-Guts uses the Berserk Armor in a unbelievable performance.
-As if advancing to the next stage of the game, he has to fight off a wizard.
-Concludes with Zodd slamming and into Guts after minor defeat.

destrogeuts

Me chiamo destrogeuts !
The #13 of course. For all pages, its the most impressive volume.

When the Eclipse come, the chaos is everywhere, no hope, no peace, just an apocalypse.

The rage of Guts for some pages, his rage in the pen of Mirua is just unbelievable. I never feel a sentiment like that, it was so epic in my first read.

And now, i can read this tome 100000000000000 times, im excited every time by the all the scenes.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I think 34 is going to be a big favorite for me since it's so epically fantastic!

The battle, the fantasy elements and all. Plus the always excellent art quality.

Volumes 26 and 31 would be my favorites.

Berserk is a grand epic but volume 26 is the best at providing a small example of what makes the series great: exquisitely drawn horror, Guts's developing relationship with his new companions, coping with extreme physical and psychological trauma, and struggling against death. Qlipoth, Slan, the Neo-Hawks, Grunbeld, and the Berserker armor all brought that out.

Volume 31 had the most exciting, suspenseful, and chaotic fight in my opinion so far. Also, Ganishka is my favorite apostle because of everything about him: his human form, his apostle form, his history, and his personality. He also had a hard life; a family member tried to kill him when he was young, he killed a family member when he was young, he spent his life in the military, he has escaped death many times, and he opposed the God hand.

I have to go with 26 on this one too. Slan's appearance would have made it a badass enough book alone but then when I saw Gatts realize "This is my..... :beast:" that clinches it for me.
This is really hard though, I also really liked 16, 22, and 27. Ganishuka was definitely part of why 27 was so awesome. Shout out to 31/32 as well. Ugh. Lol.

Top Bottom