Favourite Quotes

turkitage

ターク
Griffith said:
Exactly, though "dickward" could also be twelve o'clock of whichever direction one happens to be pointing, or a simple direction like forward or backward. E.g. "Dickward to victory!" or "You're headed dickward to Hell!" Fittingly, in reverse cowgirl position, dickward would be Heaven.

:ganishka: Why do I always laugh at silly comments?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
Exactly, though "dickward" could also be twelve o'clock of whichever direction one happens to be pointing, or a simple direction like forward or backward. E.g. "Dickward to victory!" or "You're headed dickward to Hell!" Fittingly, in reverse cowgirl position, dickward would be Heaven.

This thread took a strange turn. :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vinsssounet said:
I hope someone gives us a translation of the Japanese =)

There are various ways to translate it. "Trapped", "fucked", "screwed", or even "I got you!" are fine. Given the context I'd go for something like this:

Apostle: You're screwed, boy!!
Apostle: You'll fall into hell while enjoying the heavens!!
Guts: You're the one who's screwed

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rhombaad said:
This thread took a strange turn. :void:

Let me get back on track then, of course all my singular favorite quotes over the years have flown out of my head at the moment so let me see what else comes to mind. I've always liked Godot's final speech about life in volume 17 as Guts is leaving for Albion, or just simple things like when Guts says he doesn't remember the name of his mercenary band, and pretty much every line between Guts and Griffith on the Hill of Swords is gold. Guts and Griffith noting how much they seem the same, Guts being taken aback that Griffith came specifically to see him (though that's not really a quote, but Miura communicates so much with body language it'd be crazy to exclude it), Guts telling him never to say the name of the Falcons again, the incendiary "My dream I'll not betray. That is all." and the kicker for both of them, "You should have known. This is the man I am. You, of all people."

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
"You should have known. This is the man I am. You, of all people."

One of my very favorites. It's still haunting every time I read it. Poor Guts; as if he didn't have enough to feel bad about already.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I can't really say I have a favorite quote, because I love so many of them I'd be posting half of the series' dialogue if I were to be exhaustive.

But just to tease you guys, I'll say that I like this one quite a lot: "そうはいかぬ".

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'll repeat:

:void:: "すべては因果の流れの中に"

"EVERYTHING IS BOUND TO THE FLOW OF CAUSALITY."

I don't have the exact words, but it was something like this (Vol 1?):
"If you always worry about crushing the ants beneath your feet, you won't be able to walk."

I sometimes use this as a deciding factor whether to watch or ignore an anime/manga. I can no longer watch most 'pacifist' anime/manga series. I liked Kenshin and the lot as a kid, but I couldn't even start to watch it now.
Of course there are exceptions, such as Monster.

one of my favourites is when griffith tells ganishka: "You can see! Because people who carry the light are inside the deepest of darkness, and in the darkness you can discover the true light"

the whole scene was just... wow :isidro:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
RaWManiac said:
one of my favourites is when griffith tells ganishka: "You can see! Because people who carry the light are inside the deepest of darkness, and in the darkness you can discover the true light"

the whole scene was just... wow :isidro:
It's a cool quote indeed, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't use an exclamation mark, and he doesn't refer to "people" but himself.

Some of my favorites, although I don't know if they are correctly translated.

Guts:
"Is this place going to be your grave? Is this really how you want to die? Every sword belongs in its sheath. Go back to the holder of that sheath."
"If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk."
"When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

"If you desire one thing for so long, it's a given that you'll miss other things along the way. That's how it is... that's life." - Godo

"The blind king of the white sheep serves as shepard to the villany of the black sheep... and he calls forth an era of darkness upon the world." - Farneze

But if I had to pick one it would be the one from Godo, since it can easily relate to RL.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackalj said:
Some of my favorites, although I don't know if they are correctly translated.

They are not.

Specifically: "The angel shall be a Falcon of Darkness. Both master of the sinful black sheep and king of the blind white ones. The one who shall bring an age of darkness upon the world."

Top Bottom