First read through

Hello everyone! :serpico: It's been a while since I have posted on here.

How many of you are on your first read through of the manga? I know this place is full of berserk manga veterans who are probably on their sixth or seventh read through of the manga and can probably recite select dialogue of their favorite scenes in the manga from memory at this point, but I am actually still reading Berserk through for the first time.

I am purposely taking my time with reading Berserk, which I started doing a little over a year ago, because I know some people complain about waiting for episodes. One thing I have seen crop up from other fans is the pacing of the series. I do not know if it is because I have not had to wait long spans in between episodes but I have thought that the pacing of this series very good even during the more sedate moments in story. I have yet to really feel like anything is dragging. I was even somewhat dreading Guts and company getting on the boat because of how many volume it encompasses (and because I am jot a fan of sea centered story-lines) and were they still are right now, but as I am in that section now (and inching closer and closer to the where the story is currently) I have found the boat trip to not be as tedious.

I do however sometimes find myself back tracking to certain parts in the previous volumes just re=read them. Guts battle with Rosine is one of my favorite. But I am almost there. I might tap the breaks a bit again because I am still enjoying my first read through and not want it to be "over" just yet. I like the fresh feeling you get when you experience something for the first time.Was reading the manga a second different for any one?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vixen Comics said:
One thing I have seen crop up from other fans is the pacing of the series. I do not know if it is because I have not had to wait long spans in between episodes but I have thought that the pacing of this series very good even during the more sedate moments in story. I have yet to really feel like anything is dragging. I was even somewhat dreading Guts and company getting on the boat because of how many volume it encompasses (and because I am jot a fan of sea centered story-lines) and were they still are right now, but as I am in that section now (and inching closer and closer to the where the story is currently) I have found the boat trip to not be as tedious.

You really shouldn't be paying attention to what these "fans" are saying. It always comes down to the same thing: complaining about Berserk's irregular publication. Believe me, it was going on long before Guts and friends actually got on the ship. As a matter of fact people used to clamor for them to reach the ship, complaining it took too long... And I assure you that when they get to Elfhelm, people will start asking when they'll be leaving.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Vixen Comics said:
I know this place is full of berserk manga veterans who are probably on their sixth or seventh read through of the manga and can probably recite select dialogue of their favorite scenes in the manga from memory at this point, ...

:ganishka: Well, I don't know about that... Though I can do a mean karaoke for Penpals' Tell Me Why. The mark of a true veteran. :slan:

Vixen Comics said:
I am purposely taking my time with reading Berserk, which I started doing a little over a year ago, because I know some people complain about waiting for episodes. One thing I have seen crop up from other fans is the pacing of the series.

While I agree with Aaz that it sounds like the people you're hearing from aren't really complaining about pacing as much as the release schedule, I think that you're doing yourself a service by taking it slowly with your first read through! I think that many people are guilty of zipping through the series too quickly, and end up misunderstanding chunks of the story, or very important scenes. You're setting yourself up for success!

Vixen Comics said:
I do not know if it is because I have not had to wait long spans in between episodes but I have thought that the pacing of this series very good even during the more sedate moments in story. I have yet to really feel like anything is dragging.

You're right, because when it comes to pacing, I think Miura takes great care to anticipate what the reader might be thinking or feeling.

Vixen Comics said:
I do however sometimes find myself back tracking to certain parts in the previous volumes just re=read them. Guts battle with Rosine is one of my favorite. But I am almost there. I might tap the breaks a bit again because I am still enjoying my first read through and not want it to be "over" just yet.

You're a role model to all new readers! I wish I had had your self-control back when I'd first started. While I was at the mercy of Dark Horse's release schedule at the time, I always read through my new volumes too quickly. In fact, I remember attempting to read the first 3 volumes of Berserk while in the back of my parents' car on the way home from a day trip. Between some of the content and my propensity for motion sickness, I think I should have waited till I got home. :iva:

Vixen Comics said:
I like the fresh feeling you get when you experience something for the first time.Was reading the manga a second different for any one?

I totally agree, and since I've read Berserk for the first time, I take extra care to enjoy details nowadays. I don't remember my second reread of the series specifically, but I've often been delighted to find that I'd overlooked a small background detail (a character's expression, Puck doing something silly), so it feels like discovering something new every time you read. :serpico: Not necessarily a feature unique to Berserk, but something that makes it very special.

I agree with you on all points.

I'm on my first re-read too, and it feels always feels like I'm reading it for the first time in my life! Some scenes I readed like twenty times and I still always discover something new. It always feels like I'm reading it for the first time.

With the pacing I need to agree a little bit with these "fans". If Miura takes to long with the publication, and then dies, then Berserk would be lost forever. Because no one could finish Berserk or even draw like him.
Miura is like 50 years old .. I hope he take care of himself. I really hope he lifes forever, so he can finish Berserk

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think you really got the point Diwo, the pacing of the story and the publication schedule are two completely different things. Furthermore, Miura's not an old man and being all sinister about his life expectancy, besides than being in really bad taste, is pointless. An author can be 25 and still die before one of his works is finished.

Aazealh said:
I don't think you really got the point Diwo, the pacing of the story and the publication schedule are two completely different things. Furthermore, Miura's not an old man and being all sinister about his life expectancy, besides than being in really bad taste, is pointless. An author can be 25 and still die before one of his works is finished.

Ah, sorry! I though "pacing" and "schedule" means the same. Because there weren't any useful translation in german for "pacing".

Yes, you're right. An author with age 25 can still die before a 50 year old. But still, the older you get, the higher is the chance you die.
I think the pacing in Berserk is really ok, but what I don't really like is the schedule mmhmm

Anyway, I didn't understood the second sentence. #nohate please

I enjoy reading Berserk just as much, if not more than the first time, because I have come to appreciate it more. There is always something new to pick up on.

Diwo said:
Anyway, I didn't understood the second sentence. #nohate please

Basically, it's creepy, rude, and pointless to discuss Miura's death.

I went through it like it was going out of style the first time! I couldn't seem to help myself. I'm reading it for the second time now and while I enjoyed it the first time around, I find myself enjoying it even more this time. Since I don't have that "gotta see what happens next" frantic kind of feeling I'm just more relaxed and taking my time to consider things I didn't the first time. Also pieces of the story fall into place better now that I know more. Berserk is like a delicious stew, it's great fresh, but even better after the flavor has a chance to soak in. :carcus:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I don't want to belabor the point, but we don't need another Dark Tower scenario where the author pushes out a lack luster ending to their magnum opus for fear of never finishing it because of complications. I'm not planning on going anywhere any time soon and I don't think Miura is either. I'm happy to wait.

Anyway, now that I have a lot of time on my hands, I think it's time for yet another re-read. Maybe this time I'll do it along with the SkullKast :daiba:

Aazealh said:
You really shouldn't be paying attention to what these "fans" are saying. It always comes down to the same thing: complaining about Berserk's irregular publication.

I actually do not mind in the least that he is taking his time with the next crop of episodes. Where we left off it looked like we were going to transition to Guts and company again and that means we could possibly be getting to elf helm. That is bound to be some pretty intense stuff going down when we get to these episodes, so I think that it is a good sign that he is taking a long time to get these out. Can you imagine what he must be doing just plotting and figuring out how to pull off the events that are bound to go down in elf helm? Not even considering having to draw all of that? If it take another full year or more to get the elf helm episodes than I am not going to complain because of all the work he must be trying to put in to them. Frankly I would be more concerned if he was just banging them out at a rapid pace. Reaching elfhelm and addressing Guts issues with the armor and Casca's "healing" is alot to tackle.

Grail said:
:ganishka: Well, I don't know about that... Though I can do a mean karaoke for Penpals' Tell Me Why. The mark of a true veteran. :slan:

proof or I call BS! :iva:

Grail said:
You're a role model to all new readers! I wish I had had your self-control back when I'd first started. While I was at the mercy of Dark Horse's release schedule at the time, I always read through my new volumes too quickly. In fact, I remember attempting to read the first 3 volumes of Berserk while in the back of my parents' car on the way home from a day trip. Between some of the content and my propensity for motion sickness, I think I should have waited till I got home. :iva:

I totally agree, and since I've read Berserk for the first time, I take extra care to enjoy details nowadays. I don't remember my second reread of the series specifically, but I've often been delighted to find that I'd overlooked a small background detail (a character's expression, Puck doing something silly), so it feels like discovering something new every time you read. :serpico: Not necessarily a feature unique to Berserk, but something that makes it very special.

I don't know about being a role model new reader I just do not like rushing. I have been in the past and like you said you always miss out on details. A story like Berserk almost demands reflection on the readers part. Actually that can be said of alot of works. But with something like Berserk there is a wealth of subtlety to like everything (even the still expressions of characters in the back ground who are not necessarily actively involved in a given scene but their reactions say alot about the situation), you are bound to miss out on some of the nuances. I know I am somtimes at a loss of what the subtext of a certain scene or throw away reaction some characters has means. I come on here sometimes and i read people's take on things I totally missed out on. That is one reason I am trying to take my time on reading this.

Delta Phi said:
Aren't we all technically on our first read through? :troll:

I mean that people have read up to the most current episode available and then went back to re-read the series again up to the point they left off. :void:

Mammon

Mangoku army
Delta Phi said:
I don't want to belabor the point, but we don't need another Dark Tower scenario where the author pushes out a lack luster ending to their magnum opus for fear of never finishing it because of complications. I'm not planning on going anywhere any time soon and I don't think Miura is either. I'm happy to wait.

Ah, funny you said that, I'm a huge Dark Tower fan and when people started talking about Miura potentially not finishing the story, it reminded me of that brutal accident Stephen King has been in and how the Dark Tower fans reacted to that terrible news at the time.

No spoilers, but the 7th and last book (if count TWTTKH as The Dark Tower 4.5) indeed felt rushed, especially with... well... you know... :schnoz:

Berserk remains my favorite manga that is still on-going, sadly aside from the amazing "Kingdom" (and "Hajime no Ippo" for nostalgia's sake, and from now "Dragon Ball Super" I guess) I don't have weekly series to look forward to.

Not going to lie, sometimes I do wonder if the manga will ever reach it's end. Not necessarily because of Miura dying, but there are so many factors...

King started "The Dark Tower" in 1982 and ended it with volume 7 in 2003, I guess fans can be just that patient when the story is great. And Berserk is certainly great.

If by "first read" you mean episode 1 till the current episode, yes. I just caught up. I think berserk is a wonderful piece of literature and an awesome storyline. I plan on reading each episode as they ever so slowly release. Even though I skipped the majority of waiting/hiatus during the boat ride :ganishka:

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
Definitely, take your time.I got literally addicted to it and read way too fast, because it always makes you want so much to read what happens. Cultivate that feeling.

These people complaining, don't give them a damn. Miura keeps doing an exceptional work, probably making us impatient is part of it. Obviously, something big will happen in Elfheim, undoubtly making the wait worth it.

Personally, I have read until the last episodes, but got some excerts I didn't read. Some parts I've read more than once (physical/online manga). The anime already watched 2 or 3 times, the manga will for sure read everything again and again and again. Hope they make a quality anime for everything some day, there are so many scenes that could be much greater with visual/audio effects, even tho the manga can be quite a feeling without them. :beast:

Top Bottom