Friend wants to know where to read the berserk manga

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i've a friend who wants to get into the manga but doesn't want to read on any of those sites with shitty translations. I know puella has been doing translations but i only joined here after the new anime started. Can anyone tell me or link me to where to read the manga from the 1st chapter? Again good translations are important to him, ( i really want him to like berserk too) i tried searching for where to read in the search bar but im not going to read through 51 pages of berserk manga results, and i tried searching "where to read the berserk manga", but again the results didn't have a topic that would help.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
You can buy a used, good quality copy of Volume 1 on Amazon for ~$8.00 ($4.00 originally + 3-4 dollars extra for shipment). Can't go wrong with that :guts:

I wonder how many laws i broke then. Either way now that i am a fan of the manga, in the future i do plan to buy some volumes (i don't have any income right now so that'll be difficult until i do) And my friend is currently in the same situation. so you know.

Hey 8 dollars you say? Hmmm... now im reconsidering..

Your best bet is to buy the volumes to support Miura.

Reading Berserk online doesn't do the series justice. Trust me. Rereading the entire series in my hands was so much better than reading it on those shitty websites.

I first read it online as I was overwhelmed with how many volumes there were to collect -- and as a full time University student at the time, it was a lot of money to drop on books that weren't for my classes.
However, I managed to luck out one year and found someone selling Volumes 1-16 for 5 bucks each. I snagged them up SO fast, and thus began my collection. I now only have 4 more volumes to collect and I will be entirely caught up.
My best bit of advice is keep a sharp eye out at expos and comic conventions, and build your collection one volume at a time when you can afford it.
Even make it an effort to order in one volume every paycheck or every month and you'll build your collection at a steady rate!

I can speak from experience that seeing the physical volumes on the shelf definitely beat reading it online.

Best of luck! :guts:

Gamehowitzer said:
I wonder how many laws i broke then. Either way now that i am a fan of the manga, in the future i do plan to buy some volumes (i don't have any income right now so that'll be difficult until i do) And my friend is currently in the same situation. so you know.

Hey 8 dollars you say? Hmmm... now im reconsidering..

Where there's a will, there's a way. If you want to support the series, you must buy the manga in either of the various mediums that are available to all of us.

Start slow, buy 1 volume every month or couple of weeks whenever you can afford it. A couple of folks I've met prefer to go digital over physical and for that too, you can purchase the new episodes in Japanese. So there's not just one but a few options out there for fans.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
There is also some librairies who have the volumes if your friend don't have the money for the moment. At least it's a legal way to read it.

I need to buy some volumes again due to being a bit damaged (overused reading!)

I was one of those misguided folks who began with internet scanlations since I scoured my area and saw that it was very elusive to get a hold of. Then I got lucky and found a way of buying volumes online. Actually I think this very site has a link to buy the berserk volumes legit for a reasonable price. You really owe your self to get the proper translations with a series like Berserk. When I got a hold the volumes and re-read the areas I had read online, I was amazed at how much different it was. It was like night and day. Characters made better sense or came off more sympathetically.

The online scans are notorious for giving off wrong impressions of situations and the motivations of a characters in any given exchange, really confusing the hell out of subtext. One dead ringer give away of someone who did not bother to buy the manga and instead read the wildly inaccurate online translations is when someone goes off half cocked saying that Farnese called Casca a "cunning bitch" in the infamous bath scene on the boat. For some reason I have seen this mistranslations and confusion of what was said pop up more than a lot of other mistranslated confusion. That was not what Farnese said to Casca at all, she does not even come close to insulting Casca like that. It's a real betrayal of Farnese's character and her feelings toward her current situation.

So yeah, bottom line you and your friend would be better off just buying the official volumes. There are cheap options out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom