Games to look forward to!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
As inexplicable as I expected, maybe worse actually considering what's missing.

It's not a bad list, there are just some curious standouts missing, along with a few stinkers that no one in their right mind would spend more than 30 seconds playing (Toshinden I can at least rationalize because while shitty, it was the quintessential early PlayStation game — but the original Rayman, really?).

A lot of the obvious omissions here are probably due to licensing problems and/or Sony not wanting to step on the toes of recent remasters (Parappa and Crash in particular). That being said, it is really hard to squeeze in all the top-notch games on the platform in a list of 20, so why are they wasting time with Jumping Flash?

Anyway, here I've "fixed" the list, bolding the new ones:

Breath of Fire 3
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Colony Wars
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Grand Theft Auto
Gran Turismo 2
Metal Gear Solid
Parappa the Rappa
Resident Evil 2
Soul Edge/Blade
Spyro the Dragon
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3
Twisted Metal 2
Vagrant Story

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Revelations Persona is such a weird choice considering it was a heavily edited version of the original game with stuff gutted out of it that had a PSP version that was true to the original. I know it's for nostalgia and all, but are there really Persona 1 USA ver. purists out there?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
It's not a bad list, there are just some curious standouts missing, along with a few stinkers that no one in their right mind would spend more than 30 seconds playing (Toshinden I can at least rationalize because while shitty, it was the quintessential early PlayStation game — but the original Rayman, really?).

Yeah, it's not that most are bad games, just many aren't the best or ones that would be considered quintessential Playstation games like FFVII. And Rayman is like the quintessential multi-plaformer; I think it has been released for every system in existence since 1995! Haven't finished it on one.

Walter said:
A lot of the obvious omissions here are probably due to licensing problems and/or Sony not wanting to step on the toes of recent remasters (Parappa and Crash in particular). That being said, it is really hard to squeeze in all the top-notch games on the platform in a list of 20, so why are they wasting time with Jumping Flash?

Anyway, here I've "fixed" the list, bolding the new ones:

Nice list! That wasn't so hard, but again, they're probably following a path of least licensing resistance as they are trying to pick the 20 best or most renowned PS1 games. Yet it's still crazy to me they don't have Crash or Tomb Raider represented (are people really not going to buy the new Crash trilogy because they could play one of the old ones on a PS1? They could still do that! =). It's like releasing a Nintendo classic without a Mario or Zelda game included. :???:

Aazealh said:
Mmmyeah I'm gonna have to pass on that one.

I know Walter has the Nintendo ones for quick and easy plug n play access to their classic catalog, which makes some sense in that case, but in general I don't really get the idea of these classic boxes, or at least think there's better alternatives. Either beam it directly to my TV/phone/computer screen or I might as well play the original game system or emulate it, which is basically what this is. I feel like I'm paying for the plastic shell and the pretend experience of the system as much as the content and purported convenience. I mean, I get why Sega et all sells them at CVS and Staples for $60-80, but I don't get why you'd buy them when you can get all those games and more on Steam for cheaper and "forever." All these "classic system" bundles from current gen manufacturers should be available digitally on their latest hardware, at a discount minus the box. Maybe they are? =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I know Walter has the Nintendo ones for quick and easy plug n play access to their classic catalog, which makes some sense in that case, but in general I don't really get the idea of these classic boxes, or at least think there's better alternatives. Either beam it directly to my TV/phone/computer screen or I might as well play the original game system or emulate it, which is basically what this is. I feel like I'm paying for the plastic shell and the pretend experience of the system as much as the content and purported convenience. I mean, I get why Sega et all sells them at CVS and Staples for $60-80, but I don't get why you'd buy them when you can get all those games and more on Steam for cheaper and "forever." All these "classic system" bundles from current gen manufacturers should be available digitally on their latest hardware, at a discount minus the box. Maybe they are? =)

I have the Nintendo ones too, even though I haven't unboxed either of them (for lack of free time). I agree with you in principle, although I think these make sense as cheap and convenient entertainment devices for people in their 30s or 40s who want to re-experience games they fondly remember from their youth. People who wouldn't necessary buy a Switch for example.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
I have the Nintendo ones too, even though I haven't unboxed either of them (for lack of free time).

Sad that even if you did have the time this one's not enticing enough in any case.

Aazealh said:
I agree with you in principle, although I think these make sense as cheap and convenient entertainment devices for people in their 30s or 40s who want to re-experience games they fondly remember from their youth. People who wouldn't necessary buy a Switch for example.

True... until they sell out and cost as much as a Switch! :ganishka: I guess that's not such a problem anymore, and I even see the fun of the pretend system, especially if I was trying to approximate the experience for my kid or something (though it works more like a modern one than blowing dust out of cartridges =). I'm probably in for a rude awakening though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I even see the fun of the pretend system, especially if I was trying to approximate the experience for my kid or something (though it works more like a modern one than blowing dust out of cartridges =). I'm probably in for a rude awakening though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM

Haha damn right grandpa! :ganishka:

Fancypantaloons said:
I'm sure someone mentioned it already but I'm (still) waiting for Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord :puck:

At this point it feels like everyone's been waiting for Bannerlord since the beginning of time.

Fancypantaloons

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
I know that I know :) said:
Wow that still hasn't comed out yet

Bleac said:
At this point it feels like everyone's been waiting for Bannerlord since the beginning of time.

The good thing is that Miura trained us for this. You got nothing on Berserk, Bannerlord!

I wasn't sure if I should send you a personal message Fancypantaloons or make a post, but eventually decided on the latter, because there could be a chance some other people are interested.

A while ago you started a topic asking for some sandbox game recommendations if I remember correctly. You might already know but a new sandbox MMORPG is going to release on Steam on 9 January called "Legends of Aria", originally named Shards Online (if you were active in the MMO community around 2014 you might've heard of it). It's supposedly very similar to Ultima Online, which is as old as old school gets. The game is what many people would call true sandbox. It has skill based progression, no classes, no quests or clear objectives, no information dumps etc. You have to figure it all out by yourself or by engaging with the community. Another thing they're featuring is moddable servers, you can check out more about it and other things on their website.

I tend to be skeptical of these "back to the past" games that keep popping up recently, but this one has an experienced team behind it and seems to be well received so far from the early access. I will keep an eye out for it and thought you might want to as well.

Fancypantaloons

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
Bleac said:
I wasn't sure if I should send you a personal message Fancypantaloons or make a post, but eventually decided on the latter, because there could be a chance some other people are interested.

A while ago you started a topic asking for some sandbox game recommendations if I remember correctly. You might already know but a new sandbox MMORPG is going to release on Steam on 9 January called "Legends of Aria", originally named Shards Online (if you were active in the MMO community around 2014 you might've heard of it). It's supposedly very similar to Ultima Online, which is as old as old school gets. The game is what many people would call true sandbox. It has skill based progression, no classes, no quests or clear objectives, no information dumps etc. You have to figure it all out by yourself or by engaging with the community. Another thing they're featuring is moddable servers, you can check out more about it and other things on their website.

I tend to be skeptical of these "back to the past" games that keep popping up recently, but this one has an experienced team behind it and seems to be well received so far from the early access. I will keep an eye out for it and thought you might want to as well.

I will check it out, Bleac! Thank you very much :slan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A 30-min demo for the RE2 remake is heading to major platforms on Jan 11: https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1082668251346128896?s=20

Cyberpunk 2077 has been the only thing on my mind I hope it releases 2019 maybe june or july.

If it were to be released in 2019 I think we would already be aware of it. I don't think the game is ready yet, but I wouldn't mind to be proven wrong!

Y'all heard the rumours of metroid prime 4 coming out late this year? What do y'all think of that? I personally don't think it will come out until 2020, and i hope they don't rush it, but i'm still super excited for the game.

Cyberpunk 2077 has been the only thing on my mind I hope it releases 2019 maybe june or july.

No way in hell is it coming out that soon. Hell, I think the chances of it coming out in 2019 are really slim as it is. I'm personally expecting an early to mid 2020 release date.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gamehowitzer said:
Y'all heard the rumours of metroid prime 4 coming out late this year? What do y'all think of that? I personally don't think it will come out until 2020

Given that the developer is rumored to be Bandai-Namco (wtf), my hopes are slim that it'll be spectacular. But the release date leaked earlier today to be Nov 29. But we'll see if that pans out. Nintendo has debuted and released them within 6 months several times in recent memory. So 2019 isn't crazy at all.

Walter said:
Given that the developer is rumored to be Bandai-Namco, hopes are slim that it'll be spectacular. But as to the release date, it just leaked earlier today to be Nov 29. But we'll see if that pans out. Nintendo has debuted and released them within 6 months several times in recent memory. So 2019 isn't crazy at all.
Right, but they announced that it was *now in development* in... 2017 right?
Metroid prime started development in 2000, and released in november of 2002... Well okay i'll accept it lol.
I mean it had better be spectacular considering how badly people wanted it, i'm not very aware of all of the developers and all of the goings ons, but why do you say that about it probably not being spectacular because it's being developed by bandai? Is it just because they work on a lot of games or do they have a history of not making good games for other companies?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gamehowitzer said:
Right, but they announced that it was *now in development* in... 2017 right?
Metroid prime started development in 2000, and released in november of 2002... Well okay i'll accept it lol.

By "debut" I don't mean showing a title card, I mean showing substantial footage for the first time. Nintendo has done that and then released the game within 6 months of that moment a few times in the past. So my point is that just because we only have a title card right now doesn't mean it's not possible for Nintendo to show it off at E3 and then release it that same calendar year. They don't adhere to the long-tail hype cycle of other publishers. Case in point, CD Projeckt Red. Witcher 3 first "debuted" in 2013, but the game didn't come out for another 2 years. And need I mention Crackdown 3? :ganishka:

Gamehowitzer said:
but why do you say that about it probably not being spectacular because it's being developed by bandai? Is it just because they work on a lot of games or do they have a history of not making good games for other companies?

Well Bandai-Namco is a well-known publisher, but their Singapore development team is basically unproven. They've put out two games (and the last was Mario Sports or some shit). My heart tells me to keep expectations low. It feels to me like Nintendo farmed this one out.

I know that I know :)

My post our worse
Cyrus Jong said:
No way in hell is it coming out that soon. Hell, I think the chances of it coming out in 2019 are really slim as it is. I'm personally expecting an early to mid 2020 release date.

:judo: Nooooooooooooooooooo. Well that date does make sense since the tabletop game was called 2020 but still noooooooooooooooooo. Hopefully knack 3 comes out 2019 or maybe superman 64 remastered.

Walter said:
By "debut" I don't mean showing a title card, I mean showing substantial footage for the first time. Nintendo has done that and then released the game within 6 months of that moment a few times in the past. So my point is that just because we only have a title card right now doesn't mean it's not possible for Nintendo to show it off at E3 and then release it that same calendar year. They don't adhere to the long-tail hype cycle of other publishers. Case in point, CD Projeckt Red. Witcher 3 first "debuted" in 2013, but the game didn't come out for another 2 years. And need I mention Crackdown 3? :ganishka:

Well Bandai-Namco is a well-known publisher, but their Singapore development team is basically unproven. They've put out two games (and the last was Mario Sports or some shit). My heart tells me to keep expectations low. It feels to me like Nintendo farmed this one out.
Nah i understand the point you were making i was just checking the development cycle of the other prime games to check whether expecting it this year was actually believable or not.
And given that information about the branch of bandai namco i now see your concern. That's.... really poor decision making on their part.

I know that I know :)

My post our worse
Has everyone given up on half life 3 or portal 3 or for that matter any future valve games (THAT AREN'T CARD GAMES :mozgus:) I guess im still looking forward to half life 3 but hope seems to be going away as I increasingly worry on Lord Gaben's counting abilities.

Top Bottom