Guts' Kill Roster: How many has he REALLY killed?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Chung's fight summaries reminded me of a project I'd started several months ago, a list of all of Guts' kills: who/what they were, and when they took place. I'd given up on this a while back due to the sheer boredom this project summons up. It's a pretty painstaking process.

Anyway, here's the list: GUTS' KILL ROSTER

This list includes all on-screen kills that Guts was responsible for. That means, if his sword was swinging THROUGH someone, it counts. If, in the next panel, there are a display of bodies, each one with blood, or an identifiable injury, and Guts was directly responsible for their deaths, counts.

If you see any that I missed, please by all means help the cause out.

S

Some Guy

Re: Guts' Kill Roster: How many people has he REALLY killed?

The four bandits you listed killed on page 15 are in fact the same two bandits.  Notice how they look and have arrows in the same areas.

On page 63 I count 5 Koka Cavalry killed.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Knight o' Skeleton said:
The four bandits you listed killed on page 15 are in fact the same two bandits. Notice how they look and have arrows in the same areas.

On page 63 I count 5 Koka Cavalry killed.
Well that's a bad start isn't it =). Hopefully I overshot on other areas, and Guts can keep his 100-man slayer title.

Thanks for the updates.

S

Some Guy

Vol. 1

Guts cut off the hands of a guard to save Puck in 197 who is last seen bleeding heavily in 198.

I count 5 guards killed on page 193

Vol. 2

Guts kills 2 watchmen with his knives on page 165

Page 173 is hard to tell.  There appear to be more than 5 being killed, but some of the flying body parts may have been from the first swing.  The Spearman missing a portion of his face may count as 6.

It looks like two soldier being killed on page 174

Vol. 4

Guts kills a mercenary on pg 21

Vol. 7

Guts kills 2 mercenaries on page 47

kills 3 on pg 55

kills one on pg 102

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Knight o' Skeleton said:
I count 5 guards killed on page 193

Also, Guts cut off the hands of a guard to save Puck in 197 who is last seen bleeding heavily in 198.
I counted him, I think. I generally counted anyone who looked like they'd bleed to death by the next episode XD

Btw, just keep all the updates in one post, thanks for the help! I'm just going to renumber them when we're completley finished. Renumbering these things is... time consuming.

Page 173 is hard to tell. There appear to be more than 5 being killed, but some of the flying body parts may have been from the first swing. The Spearman missing a portion of his face may count as 6.
I stand by my original count of 5. Here's my justification.

Vol. 4

Guts kills a mercenary on pg 21
Argh, how could I have missed that. It was in my notes... Thanks again though.

Checking through vol. 5 now, and I came across one of the more complicated pages. After doing a test on it in photoshop, I came up with this and realized my numbers were off by a whopping 2. Geez...

Knight o' Skeleton said:
Vol. 7

Guts kills 2 mercenaries on page 47
I thought about this one for a while and... I dunno if I can count that. The guy on top looks pretty heavy, but technically Guts didn't even touch the little guy. It's in the "MAYBE" zone for now. I'm really going back and forth ... I need another opinion.

kills 3 on pg 55
Another great example of me asking myself: "how the hell did I miss that?" Geez, thanks again.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

This is a great project. I say after it's finished, you make all kinds of crazy lists like alleged kills, such as the 77 other Tudor mercs Guts was supposed to have killed in the 100 man fight.

Also, shouldn't we be taking bets on this? I'd call about 400 right based on the numbers thus far (my gut instinct, har har, says 500 though), except I think Guts will start to slow down in later volumes (not in a war, less human killing, more big fish and Apostle hunting), unless you're counting all of Roshinu's horde. The numbers could skyrocket! He basically committed genocide. The burning barn alone should be a blast to count, and I just reviewed some pages of Guts swinging into a giant swarm of them covering the DS with bug squishy on a few occasions. Good luck, BTW. =)

P.S. I call 500. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I'm really starting to wonder... should the bees in Lost Children count?

Well his sword didn't slice THROUGH them technically, but he did kill them. So according to your rule, they should be included, if one can count them at all.
And shouldn't the sceletons count as well? (The ones Guts "killed" after cleaving Colette)

Griffith

Walter said:
I'm really starting to wonder... should the bees in Lost Children count?

YES! If you don't count them you can't count any Apostle spawn, and even Apostles come into question at that point. What, are you wussing out?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Chung said:
And shouldn't the sceletons count as well? (The ones Guts "killed" after cleaving Colette)
You can't kill what's already dead. Guts just destroys the bodies that the ghosts possess. Then again... ghosts are dispersed from human bodies too. Hmmm... I'll think on it. It's starting to get complicated.

"Griffith No More!" said:
YES! If you don't count them you can't count any Apostle spawn, and even Apostles come into question at that point. What, are you wussing out?
Argh... fine fine. Hey Knight o' Skeleton, got some free time? :guts:

Walter said:
You can't kill what's already dead. Guts just destroys the bodies that the ghosts possess.
Doesn't that apply to Colette too? :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Chung said:
Doesn't that apply for Colette too? :carcus:
Oh yeah, I forgot she had died. My bad. I'll omit her.

Anyway, I figured out a good reasoning: Artificial life doesn't count. If Skeletons/Snowmen led lives past dawn, I might reconsider. But since they'd die anyway at sun-up, and will just continue to reinhabit other skeletons/snow until then, I can't count them.

THIS JUST IN: EVERYTHING GUTS KILLS "ON-SCREEN" COUNTS. That includes Ghosts, Possessions (skeleton, snowmen, etc.), Apostles, Incubi, Ogre etc. It's the only way this list will be complete. Miura included other species and types of life, I should respect both his and Guts time in this whole series. Time to recount!

PS: I'm going to rebuild the list with PHP. This effectively will include all kills, or show only humans etc. so all the different rules can apply, depending on how you want to count them.

Just don't expect it to be done anytime soon... :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos

Walter said:
That includes Ghosts, Possessions (skeleton, snowmen, etc.), Apostles, Succubi, Ogre etc. It's the only way this list will be complete. Miura included other species and types of life, I should respect both his and Guts time in this whole series. Time to recount!

Can you technically "kill" the ghosts?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

CnC said:
Can you technically "kill" the ghosts?
Well, technically only the sun can send them away. But take volume 23 for example. Guts deserves some credit for that work.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

This is the best...idea...ever. But man is it going to take a while if you're now including everything Guts has destroyed "on-screen." Should make for a fun read. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Rhombaad said:
This is the best...idea...ever. But man is it going to take a while if you're now including everything Guts has destroyed "on-screen." Should make for a fun read. :guts:
It's really not that difficult to count, it's entering the data in an efficient and time-manageable way that time-consuming. I have to learn PHP for this thing, for chrissake! I actually have vol 1-10 categorized with #/name/vol/ep/type of being in an Excel File now.

Just thought I'd mention this one, since it's pretty easy to overlook IMHO.

fish3oa.jpg

(Volume 14 episode 93 page 35)​

And there was also that scene in Volume 15 where Guts was eating that Snake, but that one was dead already, i think.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

Chung said:
Just thought I'd mention this one, since it's pretty easy to overlook IMHO.

Your attention to detail is impeccable, my friend. :void:

Griffith

Don't worry, I'm watching out for animals. I remembered the snake, and the fish from volume 23 and such. This is fun, actually. =)

Don't worry, I'm watching out for animals.

I kinda knew you would :guts:

Hehe, nit-picking is always more fun then doing the actual work, I guess :troll:

Anyway, Guts also kills several wolves in Volume 4 starting at page 78, ( I counted 6 in total, 2 on 78, 80 and 81)

S

Some Guy

Walter said:
Argh... fine fine. Hey Knight o' Skeleton, got some free time?  :guts:

Sure do. :miura:

Also why were the assassins that were holding Foss's daughter captive counted (since we don't actually see Guts kill them, they just appear dead in the next frame)

I got a couple more:

In Volume 2, Guts kills two gravediggers on pg 115, and Guts caused Dahl to die on pg 221

Also, Wyald is listed as a human.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Knight o' Skeleton said:
Sure do. :miura:

Also why were the assassins that were holding Foss's daughter captive counted (since we don't actually see Guts kill them, they just appear dead in the next frame)
Well, we've always counted those. "If, in the next panel, there are a display of bodies, each one with blood, or an identifyable injury, count." Anyway, the rules have changed a bit to be more flexible. Now, anything Guts was responsible for killing goes in. Here's an updated list, using Excel now:

http://skullknight.net/encyclopedia/gutskillroster.htm

Griffith

Well, I'm doing the Lost Children chapter right now and it's a fucking holocaust. Guts easily kills over a hundred kids alone in this arc!

And then he kills their ghosts. =)

S

Some Guy

Walter said:
Well, we've always counted those. "If, in the next panel, there are a display of bodies, each one with blood, or an identifyable injury, count." Anyway, the rules have changed a bit to be more flexible. Now, anything Guts was responsible for killing goes in.
Whoops, must have missed that. Sorry

Well, I'm doing the Lost Children chapter right now and it's a fucking holocaust. Guts easily kills over a hundred kids alone in this arc!

And then he kills their ghosts. =)

Haha...

I tried counting the "elves" Guts kills at the end of Vol. 14 (which wasn't easy) . Interested to see what you come up with. Good Luck!

Top Bottom