Guts Turns Down Ganishka

I was re-reading volume 31 last night and I wanted to nominate the moment Guts turns down Ganishka as his most suicidal.

Ganishka appears as a demigod, filling the sky and raining down lightning. Guts barely manages to survive 3 attacks before Ganishka offers him a job at which point Guts just flat out refuses. He was laying there on the dock, unable to move, and he's talking shit to a giant lightning god. If Griffith had not attacked at that moment the story would be over. When Guts rages and tries to attack the God Hand that feels perfectly natural. When he instantly turns down Ganishka without any knowledge of his power that is some serious balls.

Anyway, this is a bit random, but realized that I can't recall him acting more rashly and it really sums up Guts' spirit in a few pages. Is there another time he acted more rashly? Let me know.

It's not the first time Guts talks smack to a (seemingly) godly figure. When he first saw the God Hand, he was just as quick to tell them where they could stick it. And that was when he knew even less about demonkind than he does now, after they appeared smack out of nowhere, towered hundreds of feet over him, and transported he and the rest of the Hawks to some hellish domain that could very well have been Hell for all he knew. And all he had with him at the time was a dinky little knife!

Compelling point BUT Guts had no idea what he was up against at the time. His brain said just keep swinging and you'll make it out of this. In the Ganishka scenario he knows better and he had all of his friends (including Caska) standing right behind him and he didn't even hesitate to tell the biggest, baddest apostle to date to take a hike.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Hmm I'd say rushing head on, shirtless and wounded, in a bunch of apostles right after fighting Slan (and getting some serious wound from that fight too) was not his best idea ever if we want to go into that territory. :guts:

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
buttonmasher said:
Compelling point BUT Guts had no idea what he was up against at the time. His brain said just keep swinging and you'll make it out of this. In the Ganishka scenario he knows better and he had all of his friends (including Casca) standing right behind him and he didn't even hesitate to tell the biggest, baddest apostle to date to take a hike.

"Guts had no idea what he was up against at the time."
I'd argue that's exactly why he did it. He knew Ganishka was an apostle. Guts, the ultimate apostle slayer.

"he had all of his friends (including Casca)"
Not unlike the Eclipse, and there were even more friends.

Guts knows what he is capable of, if he stopped to think too much he would be dead long ago. It's either run or fight, all tough situations have been like this. He wouldn't stand there and debate with one of the things he most hates in life. :chomp:

Top Bottom