Guts, who is he?

First of all my apologies for starting off my participation in this forum without prior introdution. I'm an old lurker but I have never felt like I had anything to say.

Lately, while rewatching the 97 anime and besides remembering how great the series is (Can't get enough of those Kobayashi's backgrounds, the music, the depth of the story, the lore, etc) I've also wondered about Guts true origin.

Ever since his birth he was seen as the devil child, being born over the guts of fallen warriors to carry a curse throughout his life. Besides his superhuman strength, endurance and luck he physically also has some interesting characteristics such as pointy ears and fierce predatory canines. Of course it's part of the characterization by the artist and which works so well. But could it be more than that? Could Guts be something else? I wonder if we will ever find out

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Collas! Nice to meet you.

I don't know if you've been around long enough, but this idea was regularly brought up back in the day. However it's incorrect, as we pointed out at the time. No big deal though! Let me give you some insight on specific points.

Ever since his birth he was seen as the devil child

Because of how they found him, some of Gambino's men thought he would bring them bad luck. That's also what Gambino ends up spitting at him in his madness as he tries to kill him. But it stops there and is never mentioned again. It was clearly just an irrational belief that had no truth to it. In fact, when he's found by another group of mercenaries after surviving the wolves, they think he's got good luck because they came across him just when he needed it. This is a way for Miura to show the reader that it just comes down to the characters' mindset.

being born over the guts of fallen warriors

He was not born "over the guts of fallen warriors". When Gambino's group finds him, he's lying in a puddle under his dead mother because she was hanged while she was about to give birth. The people hanged in that tree all seem to be civilians without weapons or armors.

to carry a curse throughout his life

The only curse Guts bears is the Brand of Sacrifice. He receives it during the Eclipse. Until then he isn't cursed.

Besides his superhuman strength, endurance and luck

Guts' strength is explained in the story by the fact he was trained mercilessly since childhood and always ever used an oversized sword. Then after the Eclipse, because he exists in the Interstice between the corporeal and ethereal worlds, he can go even further. That's how he wields the Dragon Slayer.

he physically also has some interesting characteristics such as pointy ears and fierce predatory canines. Of course it's part of the characterization by the artist and which works so well.

His ears have an angular shape, but they're not really "pointy" per se, unlike say Zodd's ears or even Puck's. He's not the only character to be shown with a somewhat angular ear shape either, so it can safely be assumed to be an artistic choice by Miura. As for his teeth, they seem completely normal to me.

But could it be more than that? Could Guts be something else? I wonder if we will ever find out

Guts is clearly and repeatedly described and shown to be a "normal" human. One with exceptional physical abilities and an indomitable will (that's why he's the hero), but still just a human, as opposed to the monsters he fights. Like I mentioned at the beginning, this sort of theory came up often back in the day, usually with the idea that Zodd was his father or something of the sort. But that just isn't the case. Nothing in the manga suggests he has a special parentage or supernatural powers.

Thanks for the reply Aazealh, as expected you're an encyclopedia of the world of Berserk and it's hard to argue with your points. Although I consider the series to have made a pivotal influence on my overall appreciation of art and storytelling, I was never one to remember details, more the overall experience and feel. I've got into it first over 10 years ago during a 30-hour train journey piercing through endless white landscapes of snow and tundra. It was a special moment to find Berserk at that time, as you can imagine. Nothing else has surpassed it, ever since, in its overall quality.

And to that regard, I am very saddened by the passing of Miura, as I believe the spirit and flow of Berserk to be unique and lost forever. Best regards

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I've got into it first over 10 years ago during a 30-hour train journey piercing through endless white landscapes of snow and tundra. It was a special moment to find Berserk at that time, as you can imagine. Nothing else has surpassed it, ever since, in its overall quality.

That does sound like an amazing experience!

And to that regard, I am very saddened by the passing of Miura, as I believe the spirit and flow of Berserk to be unique and lost forever.

You and I both.
incense.png

Guts' strength is explained in the story by the fact he was trained mercilessly since childhood and always ever used an oversized sword. Then after the Eclipse, because he exists in the Interstice between the corporeal and ethereal worlds, he can go even further. That's how he wields the Dragon Slayer.
Can you elaborate a bit more on the last part of your explanation? The thing about being able to wield the Dragonslayer. I'm really curious about that, how did you come to that conclusion? Does being between the corporeal and ethereal world have an effect of some sort on Guts?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Can you elaborate a bit more on the last part of your explanation? The thing about being able to wield the Dragonslayer. I'm really curious about that, how did you come to that conclusion? Does being between the corporeal and ethereal world have an effect of some sort on Guts?
It's based on what Schierke postulates in Vol 25, ep 208. She wonders whether Guts' ability to wield the dragon slayer is a result of him being in the interstice, where mind can affect matter.

We don't address all of the questions in this thread in it, but the Berserk Mythbusters post (and podcast!) is a great resource for most of the common questions about Berserk.

It's based on what Schierke postulates in Vol 25, ep 208. She wonders whether Guts' ability to wield the dragon slayer is a result of him being in the interstice, where mind can affect matter.
Oh shit yeah I remember this, but man I never really thought of it that way, I just thought it has something to do with Dragonslayer's ability to hurt demonkind, I had no idea that this is what it meant :O Damn, thats pretty epic not gonna lie, so he's sorta like doing the same type a shit like Femto when he throws Guts away with force powers or somethin? Mind over matter? :stop:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oh shit yeah I remember this, but man I never really thought of it that way, I just thought it has something to do with Dragonslayer's ability to hurt demonkind, I had no idea that this is what it meant :O

"Demonkind" isn't really a thing in Berserk. Apostles have corporeal bodies so they can be wounded by any "normal" weapon, provided enough damage is done (and in the right spot). When it comes to the God Hand, the reason Guts was able to affect Slan at all is because he spent years cutting through evil beings with the Dragon Slayer, and so over time it became imbued with ethereal properties. It's a different thing entirely from what we're talking about here.

so he's sorta like doing the same type a shit like Femto when he throws Guts away with force powers or somethin? Mind over matter? :stop:

Not at all. It means his willpower can allow him to push himself beyond the strict corporeal limits of his body (to an extent). It's got nothing to do with supernatural powers like Femto's.

"Demonkind" isn't really a thing in Berserk. Apostles have corporeal bodies so they can be wounded by any "normal" weapon, provided enough damage is done (and in the right spot). When it comes to the God Hand, the reason Guts was able to affect Slan at all is because he spent years cutting through evil beings with the Dragon Slayer, and so over time it became imbued with ethereal properties. It's a different thing entirely from what we're talking about here.

Not at all. It means his willpower can allow him to push himself beyond the strict corporeal limits of his body (to an extent). It's got nothing to do with supernatural powers like Femto's.
I see, thank you for explaining. Yes this does make sense. Its also super interesting:guts:

Top Bottom