Happiest moment in Berserk

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Ok, decided to make a matching thread for the "saddest moment in Berserk?" topic :)

What do you guys think is/was the happiest moment in Berserk? Doesn't need to be for Guts, but just a moment when all the worries seemed to be gone. Now I know Berserk definitely isn't a happy manga, but actually rather dark, but it does have it's happy moments for the character.

I would have to say my happiest moment in Berserk would be right after they rescue Griffith, in volume 12. When all the remaining Hawks come up and want to follow Guts, want him to command them. How they said things like "If I'm with you, I know I'll scrape by!" and comments of that nature, and how Guts was sort of surprised, and gladdened, and he seemed happy for once. That moment actually lifted my own spirits while reading it, before they came crashing down in the very next volume...

So, what do you all think? (please try to refrain from saying an entire arc as the "happiest" but rather label a specific moment. We all know that pre-eclipse was most likely a much more pleasent time for Guts and the other characters ;) )

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Although not all worries were past, the happiest moment in Berserk for me was after Guts and Casca hooked up a year after he left the Band of the Hawk. At that moment the two of them shed off their troubles and were there only for each other. The panel where Casca is falling towards Guts who is turned away from her is one of my favorites. :serpico:

I think the moment I'll mention is the 'happiest' but it made me feel really good for Guts....the moment I mention is when he suddenly realizes he has comrades again. Kinda like when you are young (well kinda for me) having no friends at one time, then a group of close friends you can rely on. Yay for Guts! :judo:

This is the scene

it hasnt happend but I must say when I frist saw the anime before reading the manga. My first reaction was I wanted to see Griffith killed. That will still probably be my happiest moment heh.

Abstraction

Darkness is looking back at you
Knight  o' Skeleton said:
When Casca kills that oaf, Adon

lol, nice one

I think it was when Guts and Casca finally get to hug each other, after he throws Mozgus over the edge of the castle. Cause he hadn't got a chance to hold her since he left her at Godo's house.

For me it was when Gatts and Serpico fought on the Cliff, that was when serpico first showed his other side(opended his eye(s)) And that was so great it truly cemented my admiration for this charater.... :serpico:

Before that I realy liked when Zod threw his sword to Gatts....

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kakihara said:
For me it was when Guts and Serpico fought on the Cliff, that was when serpico first showed his other side(opended his eye(s)) And that was so great it truly cemented my admiration for this charater....

But that's not a "happy moment" in the story at all... Same with Zodd throwing his sword to Guts. The topic isn't about which scenes you like the most.

Ah yes, sorry I thought that it was asking what we thoght was the happiest moment in berserk, and this being a subjective quality I make my own judgement...

And if its about what part was happiest for the charaters, then I'd say Mr. Gimpy was happy as hell to get to play with and study griffith for a year.

Now, I know Berserk definitely isn't a happy manga, but actually rather dark, but it does have it's happy moments for [a] character.
Ok, so a time when a character was happy, very well, I say when Gimmpy is granted Grifftih, or when Yong Farnese sees the 'heritic burning'. yea...
Ok? :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
osca said:
it hasnt happend but I must say when I frist saw the anime before reading the manga. My first reaction was I wanted to see Griffith killed. That will still probably be my happiest moment heh.
Wow, still crying over Judo? :judo: Here's a little something I drew just for Griff haters like you.

Kakihara said:
Ok, so a time when a character was happy, very well, I say when Gimmpy is granted Grifftih, or when Yong Farnese sees the 'heritic burning'. yea...
Ok? :serpico:
There are too many moments of happiness in the series to list. Though, most of them are bittersweet. If you can't detect them, well... you aren't reading closely enough. Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet: When Guts finds the Dragon Slayer :guts:

S

smoke

Not quite happy, but exciting in a postive way.

When Guts busts into that pagan cave orgy with the Great Goat and saves Casca. The emotion in that was awesome. It was like 'OMG YAY THAY'RE BAK 2GTHR"

I liked it. I imagine Guts was smiling on the inside, too. :carcus:

I would say after the battle at Doldrey.
When the Hawks enter in the town being applauded by the population which is fascinated, when they become officially nobles, Griffith has moved a step forward to reach his dream, Guts and Casca talking on the balcony (with Guts finding Casca kinda cute on her dress) and ESPECIALLY when Guts smiles to Griffith through the glass window, and Griffith answers to him with a largest smile (beautiful facial expression, I can feel their emotions) !

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Kenji-kun said:
(beautiful facial expression, I can feel their emotions) !
schierke smile.jpg

I too think that when Guts and Casca get together at the end of volume 9/ start of 10 is the happiest, most care-free moment in Berserk. They argue a couple of times during the whole ordeal, but the way the whole scene ends with Guts saying how he'll take care of her even though it goes against everything he's done up to that point, and they kiss.......it almost fools you into thinking that maybe everything will be alright. Of course this makes the eclipse and everything else ten times worse :judo:

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Kenji-kun said:
I would say after the battle at Doldrey.
When the Hawks enter in the town being applauded by the population which is fascinated, when they become officially nobles, Griffith has moved a step forward to reach his dream, Guts and Casca talking on the balcony (with Guts finding Casca kinda cute on her dress) and ESPECIALLY when Guts smiles to Griffith through the glass window, and Griffith answers to him with a largest smile (beautiful facial expression, I can feel their emotions) !
I agree, this was probably that happiest point I can think of. And also shortly after, right after Guts killed the men that Griffith had kidnap Minister Foss' daughter.. and, I don't remember exactly what they said, but Griffith basically asked Guts if he thought he was an asshole for having Guts do all his dirty work, and Guts was just like "bah, shaddup with that crap," and then they walked into the distance talking about how Casca looked hot in her dress. It was just one of those moments where they really seemed like friends, and things just seemed peaceful. That sure lasted long..

EDIT: And also after Guts and Casca returned from the 100 man battle, and Griffith came back from the war council early to see them.. Guts smacked Cascas ass into Griffith and walked off to get drunk and 'let the alcohol disinfect him from the inside.' Good times right there.

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
I think one of my favorite happy moments is after Guts told Casca to get the hell away and then he did the 100 man kill. When Casca and party gets back and they find Guts and think he's dead, but he reaches his hand up and grasps her arm. I find the relieved smile on her face very refreshing.

And a little later, when Griffith comes from the war council because he heard Casca and Guts were back, and he tells Casca okaeri. Even though Casca still thinks about Guts leaving, the fact that everything is all okay again, and Griffith isn't angry at anyone. Just seemed like a good moment for all of them to be alive and together.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I don't know if it's the happiest, but I like the scene just after Guts' first battle with the band of the hawk where everyone is celebrating and Judo and Pippin forcefully make Guts join in. Then everybody is congratulating him and laughing and drinking by the campfires. Guts for the first time is being accepted. That was always the warmest scene for me, even the morning after that party when Judo talks to Guts on the castle wall, he's like his first real friend in this group, except for maybe Griffith.

Gurifisu

Sweet dreams, dear child of god.
I think the happiest time was just before Gattsu left (done on purpose, to commerate the fall). Everything seemed so happy...

The happiest momment in Berserk for me (and I doubt many would agree) is

1. When Griffith admits to Casca that he slept with the old man (a fact that I admire not for the act, but for the reasons), and Casca stops him from driving his nails into his flesh. To me that moment was one of the defining moments of Griffith, and what really composed his humanity.

2. When Griffith asks if Guts hates him for making him do the dirty work, and Guts response is no... I felt that was the point where Griffith betrayed his philosophy and gained a friend (on the other hand maybe he didn't).

These aren't ranked, I'm still deciding.

A lot of people talked about memories of Guts with the Hawks....

Personally I was never able to really find those moments "happy". Sure, everything looked like it was going well, but I was never really able to accept that Guts was in the right place in the Hawks, mainly because of the 'dirty work' he had to do for Griffith. He kills a kid - even if he accepted what Griffith asked of him and did it, it clearly affected him; he tells Casca, IIRC, that he doesn't want to be 'weighed down by another man's dream' (or something to the gist of that).

Griffith undoubtedly had most of his successes thanks to Guts. Nearly every later, more important battle with the Hawks involved seemed to place Guts, not Griffith, as the most important strength of the Hawks. Yet Griffith's achievements, through Guts' work, are viewed as higher and more important; Corkus even blames Guts for the Band's fall, but without Guts, would the band have ever achieved the 'White Phoenix' position? Considering that Guts carries the value of Casca in addition to himself (having saved her several times in quick succession against Adon and the 100 men and so on), he's IMO much more important than Griffith to their success. Griffith wins battles based as much on the stupidity of others as on his own ability - see Doldrey, where he asks for too few troops and only wins because the main commander is stupid enough to leave the castle without suitable defense.

Because of all this I can't really accept any of the scenes of proposed happiness with the Hawks as bonafide. I'm definitely with the reunification with Casca after beating Mozgus. That of course is quickly marred when Guts nearly rapes Casca shortly afterwards, but at the time it sure felt happy.

Top Bottom