Has anyone developed any interesting accents for characters while reading?

Ruhe Strom

'Moon Pie... what a time to be alive."
Over the past week or so, I've been rereading the Lost Children and Conviction arcs, and was pleasantly surprised when I started imagining Guts talking with a husky Scottish accent (something akin to Dwalin's voice from the Hobbit movies, only a little younger). I found this really enjoyable and I'll probably read him with such a voice from now on.

This got me wondering if anyone else has thought of some interesting/unusual voices for characters that might suit them.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ruhe Strom said:
Over the past week or so, I've been rereading the Lost Children and Conviction arcs

For information, the Lost Children chapter is the first part of the Conviction arc. It is followed by two other chapters: the Binding Chains and the Birth Festival.
You can find a comprehensive list of all episodes, chapters and arcs here.

Ruhe Strom said:
This got me wondering if anyone else has thought of some interesting/unusual voices for characters that might suit them.

That's an interesting question, and my answer is: not really. I don't really hear the characters' voices in my head when I read.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Well, for me it's not a particular accent but sometimes (and mostly if it happened recently) I will hear the voice actor's voice when reading. Well at least for Guts, Griffith and Casca. I'd say mostly from the old anime. The movies and the last anime I watched the subtitles. But generally no, I don't have a specific voice in mind when reading the series.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I imagine the various adaptations have played a large role into people's perceptions of the character's voices. For me, when I think about it, I still hear Guts' 1997 voice actor, but it's gotten deeper over time :guts:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
I imagine the various adaptations have played a large role into people's perceptions of the character's voices. For me, when I think about it, I still hear Guts' 1997 voice actor, but it's gotten deeper over time :guts:

Pretty much the same for me. And that's only when I think about it.

The same thing happened to me when I was reading the Dexter series. Once I saw the tv show I could not stop seeing and hearing the actor's face/voice when reading the book.

When I read the manga I pretty much hear a variation of my own imagined voice for Guts and Casca mixed with the voices they had from original 97 anime in Japanese...expect that they are speaking English instead of Japanese (the sound and rhythm of their voices mostly), though for Guts he has a bit more of guttural/gravel quality to his voice, especially post eclipse.

Casca I was really taken with her voice in the original 97 anime in the Japanese tract, to me it was perfect it just really captured what I felt she should sound like. But I imagine her voice to but slightly less bitchy and shrill (when pissed off) sounding and poised/dignified when she is speaking normally, even when she is in full commander mode in my head I hear her as down to earth and feminine but also firm and authoritative. I liked the English dub voice for her OK, but when she was trying to sound tough or commanding she came off...I don't know what the word for it is, but too abrasive...I guess...also I always hear them speak with an American accent. When Casca is making her intelligible sounds in her current state I deliberately tone it down in my head so it's less infantile sounding. Hearing her articulate the deranged baby sounds she makes in the the last movie and the the new anime made me cringe so hard.

It is funny for Schierke I imagine her having a very soft calm voice that has a squeak to it occasionally, kind of like Sweetie Bell on MLP. :farnese:

As far as hearing different accents in my head for other characters, the only ones I get a different accent for while reading their lines is Azan and Farnese. Azan is the one I imagine for some reason as having a sort of thick Scottish brogue for some reason. And Farnese I can't help but hear her with a refined almost posh sounding British accent.

vtheawesome

I'm just this guy, ya know?
I like to imagine the Kushan having Indian accents. It's kind of obvious, but that's just always how I've read their lines.

Guts, Casca, and Griffith all sound essentially like their 97 VAs to me.

The Vandimions have an Italian accent to me. It just kinda fits, at least to me.

Sixtopia

Elf Dimension Style!
I actually use voices from other media (mainly video games) to fit the characters in Berserk while reading. It's more of a subconscious thing; looking at these characters, building my own interpretation of their personalities, and matching them to characters in video games. Their voices mostly come from Dota 2. For those who are familiar with the heroes in that game, here are some of the voices I match to characters in Berserk: Raksas - Weaver, Count - Earthshaker, Daiba - KotL, Skull Knight - Faceless Void.

When I read the manga I pretty much hear a variation of my own imagined voice for Guts and Casca mixed with the voices they had from original 97 anime in Japanese...expect that they are speaking English instead of Japanese (the sound and rhythm of their voices mostly), though for Guts he has a bit more of guttural/gravel quality to his voice, especially post eclipse.

Casca I was really taken with her voice in the original 97 anime in the Japanese tract, to me it was perfect it just really captured what I felt she should sound like. But I imagine her voice to but slightly less bitchy and shrill (when pissed off) sounding and poised/dignified when she is speaking normally, even when she is in full commander mode in my head I hear her as down to earth and feminine but also firm and authoritative. I liked the English dub voice for her OK, but when she was trying to sound tough or commanding she came off...I don't know what the word for it is, but too abrasive...I guess...also I always hear them speak with an American accent. When Casca is making her intelligible sounds in her current state I deliberately tone it down in my head so it's less infantile sounding. Hearing her articulate the deranged baby sounds she makes in the the last movie and the the new anime made me cringe so hard.

It is funny for Schierke I imagine her having a very soft calm voice that has a squeak to it occasionally, kind of like Sweetie Bell on MLP.

As far as hearing different accents in my head for other characters, the only ones I get a different accent for while reading their lines is Azan and Farnese. Azan is the one I imagine for some reason as having a sort of thick Scottish brogue for some reason. And Farnese I can't help but hear her with a refined almost posh sounding British accent.
SAME

Top Bottom