How did Skull Knight's spirit transfer work?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We don’t know exactly how. It’s just a supposition of ours that it is likely to have occurred that way, due to what Hanarr said about him, inferences about Flora’s exile, and the introduction of the Volvaba, all in close proximity to Miura revealing the death of Gaizeric.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Just a question of how he even is still living in the armor and the full process behind it.

He's a dead spirit encased in a magical armor. Not really "alive" per se. As for details of the exact process, like Walter said above, we don't know what it was like. We can only surmise.

Pure speculation:

Gaeseric was mortally wounded after fighting (and potentially defeating) some members of the GodHand using the Berserker armor, most likely after an Eclipse Sacrifice that destroyed his kingdom. He survived long enough to get back to the safety of allies. Flora, a close ally and friend, and the witch Volvaba may have used taboo magic to prevent his spirit from passing on to the Vortex, long enough for Hanarr to construct a special armor set to house his spirit. They performed a ritual to house his spirit in the new armor, trapping him between life and death.

Most of this is implied, but not outrightly said.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t think that works though, because we see him die in 362. And though the sequence and timing of events is confusing and could have been clarified later, it seemed like he died after the ceremony we saw.

I don’t think that works though, because we see him die in 362. And though the sequence and timing of events is confusing and could have been clarified later, it seemed like he died after the ceremony we saw.
It's a bit vague how long after the confrontation with the God Hand it is. I doubt he rushed up to them and killed the proto-apostles with the priestess in his arms. I read this as two separate moments. My speculative assumption is that his death occurs once back to relative safety where allies can do a last-ditch effort at soul transference.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gaeseric was mortally wounded after fighting (and potentially defeating) some members of the GodHand using the Berserker armor, most likely after an Eclipse Sacrifice that destroyed his kingdom.

FYI, there's no case for his name being spelled "Gaeseric". Anyway, that part above isn't really speculation. It's clearly implied to be the case by the sequence of events, and I don't think Miura constructed it to trick the reader.

Flora, a close ally and friend, and the witch Volvaba may have used taboo magic to prevent his spirit from passing on to the Vortex, long enough for Hanarr to construct a special armor set to house his spirit.

Given the way the Volvaba refers to Flora, it's not clear to me that she was an active participant in that whole thing. She didn't get exiled herself, for one thing.

I read this as two separate moments. My speculative assumption is that his death occurs once back to relative safety where allies can do a last-ditch effort at soul transference.

He didn't have the woman in his arms, but it can still occur directly afterwards. Also, the process of encasing his soul in the armor probably didn't happen right after his death. Hanarr would have had to create the armor to begin with.

He didn't have the woman in his arms, but it can still occur directly afterwards. Also, the process of encasing his soul in the armor probably didn't happen right after his death. Hanarr would have had to create the armor to begin with.
Sorry about the spelling.

There's a lot open about this sequence. I think we know there's a gap between running up to seeing the new God Hand, and then looking down at the woman and dying. It sure seems like there was a confrontation in between.

That being said, it's certainly possible that he died right after whatever confrontation occured. It just seems simpler to have his dying spirit directly transferred into the armor, versus having him die and then resurrect his spirit from the Vortex. I assumed that he'd be destined there, and therefore the armor was a way to prevent that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That being said, it's certainly possible that he died right after whatever confrontation occured. It just seems simpler to have his dying spirit directly transferred into the armor, versus having him die and then resurrect his spirit from the Vortex. I assumed that he'd be destined there, and therefore the armor was a way to prevent that.

There was no resurrection because he's still dead. But he did die according to what we know; he wasn't "saved at the last moment". Clearly his soul didn't make it to the Vortex, or else he couldn't have come back.

Top Bottom