Japanese 9.0 earthquake thread

Re: Japanese 8.9 earthquake thread

It's all pretty fucked up. I was living in Tokyo until the 17th of last month, but honestly I would rather be there with my friends during such a time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Howdy folks... there are a lot more people reported dead/missing. A small coastal town has half its residents missing... around 9,500 of them. The thing for Japan though is that their early warning system really paid off since mostly everyone was prepared. Had they had no early prediction, it would have been a lot worse.
Sparnage said:
It's all pretty fucked up. I was living in Tokyo until the 17th of last month, but honestly I would rather be there with my friends during such a time.

It's good to know you guys are Ok. Hopefully all our Japan-based members/lurkers are fine.

Truder said:
I hope he wasnt out for a walk on the beach. :sad:

Well even Tokyo residents are at risk you know. And there might still be another magnitude 7 quake in the coming days.

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11031305-e.html said:
Press Release (Mar 13,2011)
Plant Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (as of 9am March 13th)

All 6 units of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station have been shut down.

Unit 1(Shut down)
- Reactor has been shut down. However, the unit is under inspection due to the explosive sound and white smoke that was confirmed after the big quake occurred at 3:36PM.
- We have been injecting sea water and boric acid which absorbs neutron into the reactor core.

Unit 2(Shut down)
- Reactor has been shut down and Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System has been injecting water to the reactor. Current reactor water level is lower than normal level, but the water level is steady. After fully securing safety, we are preparing to implement a measure to reduce the pressure of the reactor containment vessels under the instruction of the national government.

Unit 3(Shut down)
- Reactor has been shut down. However, High Pressure Core Injection System has been automatically shut down and water injection to the reactor is currently interrupted. We are examining alternative way to inject water. Also, following the instruction by the government and with fully securing safety, steps to lowering the pressure of reactor containment vessel has been taken. Spraying in order to lower pressure level within the reactor containment vessel has been cancelled.
- Currently, we do not believe there is any reactor coolant leakage inside the reactor containment vessel.

Unit 4 (shut down due to regular inspection)
- Reactor has been shut down and sufficient level of reactor coolant to ensure safety is maintained.
- Currently, we do not believe there is any reactor coolant leakage inside the reactor containment vessel.

Unit 5 (outage due to regular inspection)
- Reactor has been shut down and sufficient level of reactor coolant to ensure safety is maintained.

Unit 6 (outage due to regular inspection)

Casualty
- 2 workers of cooperative firm were injured at the occurrence of the earthquake, and were transported to the hospital.
- 1 TEPCO employee who was not able to stand by his own with his hand holding left chest was transported to the hospital by an ambulance.
- 1 subcontract worker at important earthquake-proof building was unconscious and transported to the hospital by an ambulance.
- The radiation exposure of 1 TEPCO employee, who was working inside the reactor building, exceeded 100mSv and was transported to the hospital.
- 4 workers were injured and transported to the hospital after explosive sound and white smoke were confirmed around the Unit 1.
- Presence of 2 TEPCO employees at the site are not confirmed

Others
- We measured radioactive materials inside of the nuclear power station area (outdoor) by monitoring car and confirmed that radioactive materials level is higher than ordinary level. Also, the level at monitoring post is higher than ordinary level. We will continue to monitor in detail the possibility of radioactive material being discharged from exhaust stack or discharge canal. The national government has instructed evacuation for those local residents within 20km radius of the periphery because it's possible that radioactive materials are discharged.

- We will continue to take all measures to restore the security of the site and to monitor the environment of the site periphery.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/13/us-japan-quake-reactor-idUSTRE72C1FT20110313 said:
(Reuters) - A 40-year-old nuclear reactor facing a possible meltdown in northeastern Japan was originally scheduled to go out of commission in February but had its operating license extended another 10 years. The earthquake-stricken No. 1 reactor operated by Tokyo Electric Power Co's Fukushima Daiichi power plant is the utility's oldest atomic core. It was originally scheduled to operate only 40 years. But the Japanese government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency approved TEPCO's application to keep it hot after inspecting the facility, according to a statement on the Ministry of Trade Economy Industry's website.

Obviously, keeping an old and outdated nuclear power plant up and running after it was supposed to have been scrapped quite a while ago is a bad idea to begin with. But doing so in a country that's so very prone for earthquakes and tsunamis, the Japanese government was truly putting countless lives of their own people in lethal danger.

Hey guys,
I just wanted to post this link with pictures i found yesterday. I am not sure if you already seen them, but they are pretty horrible.
Hope that something like this never happens again.
Aazealh said:
It's good to know you guys are Ok. Hopefully all our Japan-based members/lurkers are fine.

Well even Tokyo residents are at risk you know. And there might still be another magnitude 7 quake in the coming days.
I hope that everybody is fine and let's pray we will not see another disaster in the next days ...

Link to the Pictures : http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/03/earthquake-in-japan/100022/

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED

Wow, those pictures are incredible. It looks like the tsunami did just as much damage as the earthquake. It's hard for me to imagine having to recover from a disaster like that. We get a lot of tornadoes here, but nothing on the scale a hurricane or earthquake produces.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Truder said:
I hope nothing too crazy happens to us in California :isidro:

Yeah, to put the sheer size of this in perspective, tsunami waves from the earthquake reached Santa Cruz, destroying harbors, washing five people out to sea, killing one, and causing at least 17 million in damage. Here's some alleged footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQg2lIV_K3U

Compare it to Japan though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3AdFjklR50#t=1m23s

Unreal, especially the end with cars and buildings swirling around like toys in a filling bathtub.

Aphasia

Here's another donation link. I'm personally using this to donate over the red cross because I feel like it's going straight to the source. Japan Society relief fund gives 100% of the profit to the areas that need it the most.

https://www.japansociety.org/japan_earthquake_relief_fund

Just donated :guts:
Though it wasn't that much, hopefully if everyone pitches in, it'll all add up and be of great help.

NightCrawler said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-zfCBCq-8I&feature=relmfu

wow

Whoa. Just donated some money too. I'm going to hit up sites for news on the nuclear plants now.

Aphasia

Awesome guys. Me too. Every little bit helps. These videos are so sad.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110314/ts_yblog_thelookout/japans-earthquake-shifted-balance-of-the-planet

Japan shifted Closer towards the United States.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
God it's really going to shit. :sad:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/15/us-japan-quake-idUSTRE72A0SS20110315 said:
(Reuters) - Japan faced a potential catastrophe on Tuesday after a quake-crippled nuclear power plant exploded and sent low levels of radiation floating toward Tokyo, prompting some people to flee the capital and others to stock up on essential supplies.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan urged people within 30 km (18 miles) of the facility -- a population of 140,000 -- to remain indoors amid the world's most serious nuclear accident since the Chernobyl disaster in Ukraine in 1986. Officials in Tokyo -- 240 km (150 miles) to the south of the plant -- said only minute levels of radiation had been detected so far in the capital, which were "not a problem."

Radiation levels in the city of Maebashi, 100 km (60 miles) north of Tokyo, and in Chiba prefecture, nearer the city, were up to 10 times normal levels, Kyodo news agency said. Foreign experts disagreed on whether this was harmful or not.

Aphasia

Aazealh said:
God it's really going to shit. :sad:

Damn that's terrible..I hope they find a solution to the leaking radiation soon. It sounds like it's getting worse, the distance they're moving people from the plants is getting larger.

Truder

Oh man.. is it bad to worry more for people like Miyamoto, Miura, and Inoue vs the entirety of Japan? I would always jokingly say with my friend "I hope Miura actually completes Berserk before we die of old age!" but this seems a little to real. I really hope all of Japan doesn't suffer too much more, and I worry about all of its people.. but i'm especially worried for Miura and such. Is that a bad way to think of the situation? I hope not, it's kind of like worrying more for your family than some stranger right?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Truder said:
Oh man.. is it bad to worry more for people like Miyamoto, Miura, and Inoue vs the entirety of Japan? I would always jokingly say with my friend "I hope Miura actually completes Berserk before we die of old age!" but this seems a little to real. I really hope all of Japan doesn't suffer too much more, and I worry about all of its people.. but i'm especially worried for Miura and such. Is that a bad way to think of the situation? I hope not, it's kind of like worrying more for your family than some stranger right?

Yes and no, it's only natural to feel more involved over those you actually have some personal investment in, whether it's someone you actually know or simply appreciate. I think the way to put it in perspective is to take how you feel about Miura et al and realize that everyone over there have people so concerned about them, times thousands.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
From Reuters:

The Japanese cabinet secretary says radiation levels around the nuclear plant are not at sufficient levels to cause an immediate health risk.
The World Heath Organisation says there is no evidence of significant international radiation spread from Japan, and that governments and the public should take steps to stop unfounded rumours of radiation spread.
The death toll stands at 4,000, but more than 7,000 are listed as missing and the figure is expected to rise.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Thanks for the updates, Aazealh. I'm glad the radiation danger isn't as bad as many thought. The death toll is terrible.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Thanks for the updates, Aazealh. I'm glad the radiation danger isn't as bad as many thought. The death toll is terrible.

Sensationalism sells, and fear does as well.

Truder

I've been watching Japanese TV (all in Japanese with no subtitles)and it looks like they have fixed and are fixing a number of hospitals that were affected by tsunami/earthquake.

So that is very good to see. they brought cameras into 1 hospital and into some patients rooms and you see them sitting in the dark until the lights go on, and you see them say "yay!" and clapping hands. Very nice to see. :serpico:

Hmmm, seems like there's already a Wikipedia page up, on the effect the Japanese earthquake and tsunami have had on the upcoming video games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_of_the_2011_Sendai_earthquake_and_tsunami_on_the_video_game_industry

Although there's no information on how much this disaster will impact the manga publishing and releases, I wouldn't be surprised if certain titles will get delayed, censored or even canceled altogether.

Aphasia

BayJumper said:
Hmmm, seems like there's already a Wikipedia page up, on the effect the Japanese earthquake and tsunami have had on the upcoming video games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_of_the_2011_Sendai_earthquake_and_tsunami_on_the_video_game_industry

Although there's no information on how much this disaster will impact the manga publishing and releases, I wouldn't be surprised if certain titles will get delayed, censored or even canceled altogether.

No doubt this disaster has has a big impact on many industries. I feel bad for the teams who worked on the games that are just getting cancelled instead of delayed. Ironically, one of the games cancelled took place in a post-apocalypic earthquake-destroyed city.

I heard a story about the Megaman Manga author giving out line drawings of his Manga for kids to color. He was inspired after he heard how his Manga helped kids cope through the tough times. He's giving out prizes for the best colored artwork, too, which I'm sure will mean a lot to kids over there. It's neat to hear little stories of people helping other people.

There have also been some reports of pretty amazing miracle stories. One I recall hearing about on the news, a newborn baby was lying on the side of the road crying. Supposedly it had been there a few days when firefighters found it.

BayJumper said:

AnimeNewsNetwork have had massive updates on cancellations and delays in the business the last couple of days. Check out their homepage for more info. They also had this article about possible changes in upcoming anime:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-14/anime-with-disaster-scenes-face-changes-after-quake

Top Bottom