Let's talk about depression, anxiety and more

Fancypantaloons

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
Hey.

First of all I would like to clarify that I am aware that depression is a serious condition and not to be taken lightly. However, I would like to open this thread so that you can talk about these topics, also adding the feelings that any of us may have at any time of the day, such as anxiety, sadness, despair, loss of goals, etc.

Feel free to ventilate too. If there is something bothering you that you want to share, go ahead.

Why am I opening this thread? It seems to me that many times, dealing with these issues, one can feel lonely and alienated. I really believe that talking about these things can help ourselves and others.

No pressure, no judgment, no obligation of any kind.

So considering that, I'd like to break the ice and be the first.

I have been going to the psychologist for a year now, and I can say that I do not have depression as a medical condition, but a rather heavy neurosis does accompany me every day from a very young age.

I'm not on medication, and at least psychoanalysis helps me a lot. (Maybe it works for some and not for others, I don't want to open a discussion about which analysis technique is "better")

There are more details, obviously, but so far I feel comfortable.

Thanks for reading and I hope that you also feel comfortable sharing what you want to share, without fear.

Have a good one.

(I didn't find any other threads about this, I'm sorry if there is one, I used the search function)

Grail

Feel the funk blast
This is a timely discussion! With the threat of COVID-19 and all of the mental anguish it's brought it with it, I don't doubt that a lot of us, even without formally diagnosed anxiety or depression, are feeling the strain.

One thing I've been experiencing lately has been increased fatigue. It's been tough for me to stay awake during the day where it hadn't been as much of an issue in the past. I understand that this is potentially a response to stress that a lot of other folks are experiencing right now. I'm also working from home during this shelter-in-place order, which is a convenience that I know a lot of people don't have, so it creates this weird cycle of tiredness, guilt, and stress! :magni: As for what I do to help combat it, I've often borrowed from @Gobolatula's knowledge of cognitive behavioral therapy, which is useful in digging up reasons why things are bothering you.

The main point I'm trying to get at here is that while stress and anxiety can certainly be isolating, there is some cold comfort in knowing that we're all dealing with similar issues right now. I'm personally on the Discord if anyone wants to chat. :guts: I hope everyone is holding up okay!

Where goes what little advice i can give, particularly in the "weird" times were going through right now, this is coming from someone who suffered from severe depression and anxiety issues from too young of an age (and lived with a father that suffered from the exact same issues, fire and dynamite, and this goes particularly to anyone who is in self quarantine right now, it might help, create a schedule, and STICK BY IT!. No matter how stupid and useless of a schedule it might be, stick by it.

Fancypantaloons

The main point I'm trying to get at here is that while stress and anxiety can certainly be isolating, there is some cold comfort in knowing that we're all dealing with similar issues right now.

This is very important. By thinking that we are alone in what we feel, we think that no one will understand us, we close ourselves off when in fact someone with our same problem can help us just by sharing it.

create a schedule, and STICK BY IT!. No matter how stupid and useless of a schedule it might be, stick by it.

The key is to design the day we want to have. Obviously this routine will have its share of responsibility (so that we are better than yesterday and "worse" than tomorrow), but the idea is that this helps us have the day we want to have. It really helps a lot, it prevents you from losing your mind. It helps me a lot to always wake up at the same time, take a cold shower and have the best breakfast possible, for example.

I've dealt with depression. I've had a rough childhood and it's a returning factor for me.

Some things that helped me:

Exercise: the advice I give people is, find something you like to do where you move your body, if you throw in a complementing fitness routine and diet you're golden.

Some Resources:
Fitness: Ross Enamait is a beast, I read his book Never Gymless years ago and still use it to this day. He teaches you exercises which you can do at home, so you don't need to go to the gym. His book is now on sale for 1 dollar because of the corona outbreak: https://rosstraining.com/blog/never-gymless/. Great deal, considering the money you'll save by not going to the gym.
Pilates: Sean Vigue Fitness on youtube. He has workouts you can follow at home: https://www.youtube.com/user/motleyfitness
Yoga: See above and Manflowyoga: https://www.youtube.com/user/ManFlowYoga. I think he now has another platform where he asks you to subscribe, but if you scroll through his older (or most popular) videos, he also has free workouts.

Jiddu Krishnamurti: I've done a lot to deal with my past and improve as a person. But of all the self help books, talking about my problems, journaling, Big/Little dialogues, meditation, affirmations, gurus etc., this is the only one that made sense to me. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46fkd7BsYZM

Berserk: One of the main reasons I love Berserk so much is the fact how inspiring Guts is. No matter what life throws at him, he continues struggling. There have been days when it was so bleak and I saw no hope, all I wanted to do was give up, go home and lie down in bed. Then I thought about Guts, gritted my teeth and did what I had to do.

Semen Retention: Yeah, this one is controversial, I know. It's the biggest one for me. Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/Semenretention/ if you want to know more.

Also watch your sleep and cold showers.

Fancypantaloons

Thanks for the info @Nabil , I'm sure many of us will find it pretty useful. I think we all agree with what you said about Berserk, it really is a powerful help.

It's easy to get depressed in this dynamic and unjust world, especially if you're not succeeding much/your situation is shitty. I guess the way to go is to be more grateful, have more appreciation for little things, aim lower "career wise", having less expectations from life helps a lot. Obviously taking medications is also important but it won't heal you fully, however if you're prone to depression genetically/or live in territory where depression is common then medications are more helpful. People also should do something that's good physically like exercises, jogging, eat healthy, take vitamins/suplement themselves. We can't help all the people in the world too, sometimes it's just not possible, sometimes problems are dwelling too deep in person.

I'm a bit jaded by life with, lets just say, state guidelines. In all the shake up in the world I feel calmer lately. This probably speaks poorly about me, but honestly its part of who I am. Anxiety that cuts so deep it goes into delusion is my cross to bear, being my own worst enemy in a sense. Just gotta keep on at it.

There is nothing worse in my life than the feeling of numbness with anti-depressants. I'll never jump back on that option. Working out is the best medicine I've encountered. Disposition with anxiety on both sides of my family, so it's likely something hardwired.

Last edited:

Fancypantaloons

Thanks for sharing, guys.

I don't know much about antidepressants, I know they work for some people and not for others. I worked as a receptionist in a psychiatric center and I can say that I saw both cases, some people end up in an endless cycle of pills that never come out, and they end up worse than they were before, and on the other hand there are people whose lives have noticeably improved.

What I strongly suggest to anyone considering antidepressants is to NOT self-medicate. That is all I can say on that subject.

Top Bottom