Movies to look forward to

Grail said:
I didn't have time to watch the trailer again after work, but
wouldn't it would be awesome if Roland had a horn hanging on his belt in this version?
:slan: :slan:

Anyways, I'm not going to say that I'm going to miss whatever it is they cut out of most of the series, but book 1 was pretty enjoyable and I would be a little bummed if they "mainstreamed" it into a movie for young teens, which is the impression I got from the trailer. That said, I haven't seen any additional info about the movie's content, so I could be completely off.

But yeah, pumped for Idris Elba. The man's a powerhouse. Looking forward to what he brings to the role. Though, was it just me or did I picture his pistols being bigger in the books?

The first picture of the film released had the horn intact and said "previously."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
Anyways, I'm not going to say that I'm going to miss whatever it is they cut out of most of the series, but book 1 was pretty enjoyable and I would be a little bummed if they "mainstreamed" it into a movie for young teens, which is the impression I got from the trailer. That said, I haven't seen any additional info about the movie's content, so I could be completely off.

Yeah, the first book was great. The problem is what came after. :ganishka:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Elba looks good, but because he's Idris Elba, not particularly like Roland. The rest... I'm not sure will be convincing even on its own merits, like McConaughey's MIB (maybe with Will Smith) and all this biblically serious magical gunplay, let alone adapting or improving the books convincingly so it doesn't all look very silly (maybe that's impossible =). It reminds me of the half-measure X-Movies that don't quite work either way.

Griffith

It certainly looks nice, and there's not much else to glean from the trailer about whether it's otherwise going to be good or bad, but I still can't say I'm seeing an organic, plot-driven point to all this other than Harrison Ford is available and willing to reprise any of his classic roles as Old Harrison Ford. "What do you want?" "To put you in the film to lend credibility to this sequel, plot purposes to be given later, or never." Anyway, I can't wait to see him and Tommy Lee Jones together again in U.S. Marshals III: The Fugitive Part II. "I didn't kill my wife... Again!" "I still don't care!"

Every time I almost don't mind this I remember that it's very existence alone will almost undoubtedly trespass against the ending of Blade Runner, whether this film is good or not. The only way to preserve it is if:
Old Deckard is confirmed a replicate to manipulate Gosling's character and they don't actually know what became of or address the status of the original.
Even that's a bit too cute for my liking though, and I doubt they'll leave anything to the imagination. I'm really worried the subtext of the original is just going to be made text in this one as Gosling uncovers the secret truth of the blade runners!
gutsbarf.gif

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Sanitized, insipid and sterile looking. Another Villeneuve movie i won't care about. I'll laugh if he puts another Radiohead song to convince himself he's got depth and emotion. Also cannot wait for another Gosling mute masterclass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqs7857hksM

This looks really bland but I'm getting better at not caring too much about these revivals. I just wish Scott would put Kenny Powers in this one too, I need more footage for my Eastbound & Down series finale extended cut.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Sanitized, insipid and sterile looking. Another Villeneuve movie i won't care about. I'll laugh if he puts another Radiohead song to convince himself he's got depth and emotion. Also cannot wait for another Gosling mute masterclass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqs7857hksM

Yeah, Leto's and the Acting Range's participation don't do a lot for me except confirm this is about as uninspired, by the numbers pop as it gets. And now that you mention the visuals, I'm not a big fan of the stupid CGI holograms or whatever that's supposed to be taking the visual style of the original to another level or something. Actually, it all looks like a big CGI hologram now. Are we sure this isn't just going to be Tron: Legacy all over again? Also, what's up with the wardrobe? It all looks like a Blade Runner cosplay except Harrison Ford is just in his street clothes.

3d69acbc494354c3bc18a559e473125a.jpg

Eluvei said:
This looks really bland but I'm getting better at not caring too much about these revivals. I just wish Scott would put Kenny Powers in this one too, I need more footage for my Eastbound & Down series finale extended cut.

Season 4 of Eastbound & Down is about the only revival that was worth it; a superior season that actually had solid creative reasons to be made, though season 3 had the better ending.

Here's how Kenny's going to prepare for that nasty alien before going to space:

https://youtu.be/tRUsjtXBucY

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Hellboy reboot in the works. I'm pretty excited for this, so I hope they remain true to the atmosphere of the comic unlike del Toro did.

Also, I think David Harbour will do a good job. Pearlman kind of made the role his, so it'll be interesting to see what he can do. Maybe he'll be the underdog like Ledger was in TDK.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Hellboy reboot in the works. I'm pretty excited for this, so I hope they remain true to the atmosphere of the comic unlike del Toro did.

Also, I think David Harbour will do a good job. Pearlman kind of made the role his, so it'll be interesting to see what he can do. Maybe he'll be the underdog like Ledger was in TDK.

I'm not a fan of or plugged into the Hellboy series or film franchise, but didn't a possible third installment by del Toro die recently? Isn't this kind of tough news for fans hoping for that? Like, a third movie is IMPOSSIBLE despite a name director, but sure they'll do a reboot? I say this as a sympathetic Berserk fan tortured by the arbitrary decision-making of adapters, but for all I know it's the best thing for it. =)

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
I'm not a fan of or plugged into the Hellboy series or film franchise, but didn't a possible third installment by del Toro die recently? Isn't this kind of tough news for fans hoping for that? Like, a third movie is IMPOSSIBLE despite a name director, but sure they'll do a reboot? I say this as a sympathetic Berserk fan tortured by the arbitrary decision-making of adapters, but for all I know it's the best thing for it. =)

Eh, it just depends. GDT wanted to mainstream HB and I think he did a great job with it. But the comics are much darker and less humorous--which is what, I believe, the creator Mike Mignola wants. I've heard rumors of the pair (plus Pearlman) having a falling out, so maybe that's what lead to the reboot.

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
I am really staring to dig the continued Blade Runner 2049 footage and info, even if the original (my favorite film) will remain unreachable. The Command & Conquer devs. made a really good "side story" adventure game for the first film in the 90s, so i can´t see why a true auteur as Villeneuve shouldn´t be able to make at least a solid 7 to 8/10 venture. I will frankly take anything after seeing GitS 2017 piss over the corse of my favorite sci-fi sub-genre.
The just announced and more comic accurate Hellboy reboot (i read evert issue, so at least 300) is a nice surprise too, not that the del Toro films were lacking. Del Toro is cursed with over a dozen unproduced projects anyway, so i am more shocked that the 2nd film even got made. Or the 2 toon films. The 2nd one is really good!

So, long rumored hard-R Spawn reboot when? The HBO toon was quite good and the first 50 issues were mostly good too. And can that Lobo script be finally be green lit to shot? The Deadpool cinematic-universe + just announced FX toon (what a world we live in :ubik: ) has room for a few more, as long as the budget is kept in check.

Edit: @Griffith Film Rick Deckard is confirmed to be a next gen Replicant by Ridley Scott himself, even if his actor disagrees. The Final Cut would make no sense if he was a human too. The highly different book version tough is human. A nice and clear differentiator in my eyes between both versions.

Post script redux: Judge Dredd is getting a tv show! What is happening today?

Griffith

residentgrigo said:
Edit: @Griffith Film Rick Deckard is confirmed to be a next gen Replicant by Ridley Scott himself, even if his actor disagrees. The Final Cut would make no sense if he was a human too.

I know, but not anymore, apparently! Unless they do what I said or spoil the, not mystery since it's all there, but the... fun of the first one's relative coyness. Like the end of The Thing. Sometimes it's nice when everything's not confirmed and reasonable alternatives can be imagined and arguments had. On the contrary, I'm sure there's going to be multiple, "AM I A ROBOT!?" scenes in this one, followed by official documents confirming robotness. They'll finally confirm what we already knew: Ryan Gosling is a robot (perfect casting, after all =).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
, I'm sure there's going to be multiple, "AM I A ROBOT!?" scenes in this one, followed by official documents confirming robotness. They'll finally confirm what we already knew: Ryan Gosling is a robot (perfect casting, after all =).

At this point that stuff is already so obvious that it can't be the only dramatic hook. I'm sure Scott knows that, given all the fucking questions from nerds he's been fielding since 1982. ... Right? There's a reason he went back to this universe other than money ... Right?

Griffith

Walter said:
At this point that stuff is already so obvious that it can't be the only dramatic hook. I'm sure Scott knows that, given all the fucking questions from nerds he's been fielding since 1982. ... Right? There's a reason he went back to this universe other than money ... Right?

https://youtu.be/B9N4QMfr_Bw

"We've got company!" "Hold on!" *vrrooooooom*

And this is the universe he really went back to! :carcus:

But yeah, I'd like to think there's some greater move, of substantial thought-provoking significance, to make in this film to validate it and blow our minds... but I don't know what that is, and I don't trust them to be creative and credible enough to come up with and execute it without it feeling rote. More likely, based on the recent history of these franchise revivals, including Scott's own, is a lot of allusions to or reimagining of the original premise with an uninspiring twist ("the robot target is really a human!? :magni:"). I hope not, but that's the trend.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
https://youtu.be/B9N4QMfr_Bw

"We've got company!" "Hold on!" *vrrooooooom*

Wh- what the fuck is this shit? That's really from Covenant?! Yikes. That's some direct-to-DVD quality right here.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Wh- what the fuck is this shit? That's really from Covenant?! Yikes. That's some direct-to-DVD quality right here.

Yeeaaaah, I wasn't kidding when I said it reminded me of AvP: Requiem. I'd rather this be from the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnRHBLmCK0o

And even it's relatively uninspired, like this thing spoils anything it touches. =) Kidding aside though, at least the differences from Alien in Prometheus kept it from being pushed in our faces as the ALIEN FRANCHISE REVIVAL like this one. OMG ALIEN IS BACK! Except they never stopped making them, they just weren't very good.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Kidding aside though, at least the differences from Alien in Prometheus kept it from being pushed in our faces as the ALIEN FRANCHISE REVIVAL like this one. OMG ALIEN IS BACK! Except they never stopped making them, they just weren't very good.

Yeah for real, it's like NOW they've REALLY ruined the franchise for good.

"Yeah I had to personally come back to make sure that shit stained even the original movie." - Ridley Scott

Griffith

I saw a plot detail they're not advertising, in a basic official plot description but its absence in the promotions almost makes it feel spoilerific, that was actually intriguing and somewhat raises the ceiling on my expectations. It doesn't change how uninspiring what we've seen looks, but it at least promises there will be more to it than just that.

I think I'm going to check out Valerian. I never heard of the graphic novel but the movie trailer sold me. I'm a big fan of the graphic novel Saga and this kinda made me think of it. I found the trailer footage quite imaginative, and as someone who's jaded with comic book movies in general these days its nice to finally look forward to one. (Though I didn't like the directors movie Lucy.)

Trailer for The Snowman, directed by Tomas Alfredson (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) with Fassbender, JK Simmons, Chloe Sevigny (stopped watching around the 1 min mark cos I was afraid there'd be massive spoilers like most trailers today) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8LttobzeQ4

Trailer for The Shape Of Water, directed by Del Torro with Michael Shannon, Sally Hawkins, Richard Jenkins (trailer gives away too much) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_GKioYh5lA

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Trailer for The Shape Of Water, directed by Del Torro with Michael Shannon, Sally Hawkins, Richard Jenkins (trailer gives away too much) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_GKioYh5lA

Honestly there is so much about this that screams Abe Sapien I'm surprised Mike Mignola hasn't filed a copyright lawsuit.

Still, though, I'd love to see it.

Review from advanced screenings of next months "IT" release are VERY positive. Stephen King's IT is probably my favorite novel of all time, and while the 1990s mini series was a horrible adaption of the work, it was a fun and creepy attempt of turning a R rated novel into a PG13 tv experience.

Not sure if there are any other IT fans on these boards, but for the first time I might not be too disappointed in a book to movie adaptation.

Top Bottom