Movies you've recently watched

So I found the manga listed on Dark Horse's website, but it seems to be region locked and my region isn't on the list. :C
Oh no! Do you have a library nearby? I think you can get your hands on it through interlibrary loans. Also all the movies were available on internet archive (archive.org)...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I saw Oldboy in theaters recently, as it had a limited remastered re-release for its 20th anniversary (2003-2023). The remaster didn't really bring anything new, other than a stitched-in introduction from director Park Chan-wook that effectively serves as a trigger warning for the uninitiated. It even uses the same translation. Still, it was really nice to see that on the big screen, since I had only previously seen it on like... DivX. It's a beautiful, unique movie that's stayed with me over the years, and I'm glad I had a chance to revisit it, blemishes and all.

That being said, this has always been a very top-heavy, unbalanced movie for me. For all the highs it hits in the first half, the second half collapses in on itself as it explores the motive behind the revenge storyline, because all that dramatic tension has a delayed payoff. The motive itself isn't interesting (it's actually quite lame), even though most of the movie's dramatic tension rests on it. Instead, the finale is where the real payoff is. So there's this deflation that lasts about 20 minutes that is really tough to sit through. It bothered me 20 years ago, and it bothers me now. Other than that, there were a few scenes that feel comically dated now, like the video chat scene. Such a thing was likely more believable in 2003, but now it feels farcical. It also really suffers by today's standards for portrayal and usage of women. In this regard, it feels like it was written by someone with very little experience with them, and that goes beyond the intentionally obscured lens of the main character.

I brought a friend along who had no idea what Oldboy was about. I remembered that people were freaked out by the octopus scene at the sushi restaurant, but I had completely forgotten about the teeth and tongue stuff. Probably because to me that was simply table setting for the brutal story. But my friend was quite squeamish, and I imagine that colored their whole experience of watching it. When we were finished and talked about it on the drive back, they didn't have much to say, unfortunately. Oh well, it's not for everybody!

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
Killers of the Flower Moon. Excellently made, and bravo for making a major movie about minorities that did not feature a white savior. Cannot think of another movie like this. I say this because taking that aspect away from the film really raises the emotional intensity for the viewer... even more noticeable if you have watched The Last Samurai and Dances with Wolves. The lead actress, Lily Gladstone, will most likely win the oscar. Leo was also excellent in his physicality. Production and sets top notch. Biggest issue for me was making it a movie as opposed to a four part miniseries. Simply no reason to package as a movie for me unless it ended up closer to 2 hours in length.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
RoboCop

My wife hasn't watched many movies so every now and then I ask her if she's seen Movie, which she then tells me no she hasn't seen Movie. It's a great excuse to watch movies I passed up like Commando, or to rewatch some oldies like Predator.

Recently, we watched Robocop. Absolutely holds up. My wife's favorite scene is the boardroom scene. That movie is nuts.

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
The Wailing (2016)

A horror drama set in a small rural village in South Korea, where unexplained murders are occurring.

I thought the movie was fantastic. Nothing bombastic with Hollywood Jump scares that aren't scary, unnecessary music or CGI; instead, the film created an eerie atmosphere with plenty of unanswered questions for the watcher to figure out. It had lots of plottwist, many of which I didn't see coming and some I didn't even figure out on my first watch. I had to watch it again and search the internet to find some answers, which I love.

For anyone that loves "handmade", rather low-budget horror movies: Definitely recommended!

Finished all of the Zatoichi movies there are and I got my hands on some of the episodes from the TV series. This experience was very intresting and fun and emotional too. The protagonist in these stories are such a humble and kindhearted yet strong person who also has very bad self esteem kind of... In some ways he reminds me of Guts. But Zatoichi is also very humorous and mischievous so they differ alot too. Highly recommend the movies (Not the last one, played by someone else than Shintaro Katsu :puck:)

Also I watched The Mute Samurai / Oshizamurai Kiichihōgan (唖侍鬼一法眼) and loved it. The romantic story within it reminds me so much of Casca and Guts' relationship and how they would get back together after a mutual trauma (rape and death of loved ones). The ending was also very thoughtprovocing and I thought (reading that Miura enjoyed this series) about how much of it would be inline with what Miura had planned for the ending of Berserk within the theme of revenge... Just curious I guess, never knowing an answer. Has anyone else watched it?

guuuuuuuuts

The Holdovers (2023) by Alexander Payne. Solid dramedy about a teacher and students with nowhere to go over the holiday break. It is filmed as a throwback, road trip style film. Includes old school intro, credits, and the simulation of being on film. The illusion definitely fell apart, particularly in landscape shots where the editing and lenses were clearly digital. Overall, a very nice little movie I can heartily recommend to anyone. 7/10 As opposed to

Saltburn (2023) which is a Dark Dramedy about a student at Oxford making friends with a very wealthy family. This movie was just fucking awkward at times, because it couldn't decide what it wanted to be... it will certainly hold interest, but I found myself tuning out as opposed to being turned on. Watching this movie makes you appreciate Holdovers even more since it brings such clearer focus on who the characters are and why you care. I loved that it was shot in 4:3 and think the very strange looking Barry Keoghan is killing it these days. No doubt the ending will live on in meme glorify for eternity (I wish it were in the beginning of the story rather than an ending), plus I so strongly dislike scripts that have to spell things out to the viewer... let us use our imagination a little bit to connect the dots as we see fit. 4/10

Seen White Bird at the cinema today, its heartbreaking and sad as hell, it pulls on the strings, gutting you, for a 2 hour movie it felt like an hour, it went by really fast

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
The Holdovers (2023) by Alexander Payne. Solid dramedy about a teacher and students with nowhere to go over the holiday break. It is filmed as a throwback, road trip style film. Includes old school intro, credits, and the simulation of being on film. The illusion definitely fell apart, particularly in landscape shots where the editing and lenses were clearly digital. Overall, a very nice little movie I can heartily recommend to anyone. 7/10 As opposed to
I love The Holdovers. I didn't catch the landscape parts. I appreciate the comedy in this movie, it clicks so much better than the alleged comedy...
Saltburn (2023) which is a Dark Dramedy about a student at Oxford making friends with a very wealthy family. This movie was just fucking awkward at times, because it couldn't decide what it wanted to be... it will certainly hold interest, but I found myself tuning out as opposed to being turned on. Watching this movie makes you appreciate Holdovers even more since it brings such clearer focus on who the characters are and why you care. I loved that it was shot in 4:3 and think the very strange looking Barry Keoghan is killing it these days. No doubt the ending will live on in meme glorify for eternity (I wish it were in the beginning of the story rather than an ending), plus I so strongly dislike scripts that have to spell things out to the viewer... let us use our imagination a little bit to connect the dots as we see fit. 4/10
Right?! This movie is essentially just meme-bait. This is The Room levels bad.

guuuuuuuuts

The Hobbit Trilogy.
Silly films that took the ideas of Lord of the Rings and made something which is much higher budget, yet looks super fake since it is CGI based. Remember when Legolas rode a leaf like a skateboard? If you loved that scene, now you can watch lots of such moments in fights scenes across three films. The fights themselves became quite uninteresting, but I did like the elf gal that was written in during the second film. Multiple moments in the third film brought me almost to tears while laughing. This is my favorite:

Not the penetration he was hoping for- well, maybe it was. You decide.

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
I've read The Hobbit like 3x but never bothered with the other movies after the first one.

You didn't miss anything. The first one was the best by far, the second movie has one good scene where Smaug talks to Bilbo (because Benedict Cumberbatch was awesome) and the third movie is just... one of the movies of all time.

I saw Puss in Boots The Last Wish a week ago and it has become my favorite movie of all time. I remember the first movie, I enjoyed that one, it was fine, but nothing spectacular. I always liked Puss from the Shrek movies but even so I didn't really have much of a drive to watch this movie. A week ago I finally decided to watch it and had 0 expectations despite people around me all telling me its amazing, I thought to myself "even if said to be amazing, it will still be like any other dreamworks movie, nothing different". I was pleasantly surprised and even in the starting moments was already blown away by a lot of things, even though just seconds before when he started singing and dancing I still thought it would be a boring story albeit with funny moments and beautiful animation. I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said about this film, except that I enjoyed it thoroughly and wish to see it many more times, which is rare for me to say, even great films I rarely watch a second time. There's something about my brain that just can't stand repetition so any form of repetition is annoying(even the just right theme of the goldilocks got kinda annoying near the end for me).

Definitely a full recommend from me, I think everyone will enjoy it
aa.jpg

guuuuuuuuts

Any particular moment or section put it over the top as your favorite movie?

Robot Dreams gets a highly recommend. Loved it. Watched it with a friend who was immediately turned off by the hand drawn animation, but changed his mind. We all loved this film and were thoroughly engaged.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just got back from Dune: Part Two and really enjoyed it. Even though I’ve read the book several times, I still found it tough to walk out for a bathroom break (it’s close to 3h), because everything was a spectacle.

I have a few qualms, but this was vastly improved from the first movie. Overall, I can safely recommend both movies.

I don’t consider anything below to truly be a spoiler, particularly if you’ve read the books. But to be safe since it’s a new movie, I’ll spoiler tag my detailed impressions:

I still don’t think Chalamet made a good Paul. I’m glad he helped make the movie a big success, and as an effect more people got to see Dune. But he always felt like a dangerous choice, to me. His acting range isn’t deep, and he doesn’t come across as the leader he should. That should be a deal-killer for the events of this movie in particular. It’s very important that he’s convincing as a leader. Independent of the on-screen drama, watching this was like a tightrope walk for me “can this kid do it…? is he gonna fuck this?” Thankfully, somehow his very forced tough-guy voice didn’t veer the movie into grimacing territory, which was my fear all along. I guess it worked? It feels like a left hook, but it somehow hits.

Speaking of left hooks, probably the biggest change from the book that I felt was Chani has a more pronounced role, or perhaps just more screen time—hard to judge. But the effect felt unnatural, to me.

Feyd was great. No notes. Was very glad to see the Harkonnens get more screen time, and seeing Giedi Prime was probably the highlight of the movie for me. But the Baron still comes off like a mob boss instead of a monster. That’s too bad… A missed opportunity.

Christopher Walken was stunt casting. He brings nothing to the role of the emperor. He felt like an empty suit. So maybe it was perfect casting.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Glad to hear it was largely enjoyable, maybe I should figure out how to drag my wife to it (date night! :ganishka: )... Synthesizing two of your takeaways, if they could do it again should they have cast Elvis as Paul Atreides, or was Feyd a case of perfect for the part?

Top Bottom