Musashi "Pilgrimage" in Japan

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
So, life in Japan has been quite peachy so far. But it's time to get serious.

For the Obon holiday, my wife and I are going an eight day trip to Kyūshū where we intend to go see the sights and sounds of the Island. While in Kyūshū, I plan on fulfilling a long-standing hope of mine: to visit Ganryūjima and Kumamoto to pay homage to Musashi. The flights, ryokans and hotels have been booked. Now it's just a matter of doing this thing. Thought I might share with you all and ask if there's anything the community would be interested in seeing.

Here's the rough plan:
  • Ganryūjima
  • Reigan Cave
  • Kumamoto Castle
  • Musashi's meditation stone
  • Musashizuka Park (a statue and grave sight for Musashi are here)
This should cover most of the Musashi sights. Thankfully, I live somewhat close to his birthplace, but that's another trip for another time.

Cheers!

You lucky guy, that's incredible! You're covering everything I'd want to see as well. Are you also going to be close to the Musashi Museum? It's said to have 100/ 150 artifacts from his time/ his use. I'd love to hear about your experience of visiting those historic places.

Ahmetal

God hand help us
Sounds interesting, educational and uber fun. I love this forum. You guys broaden horizons.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds fun. If you haven't already read it, I highly recommend you read this before your trip: http://www.amazon.com/Miyamoto-Musashi-His-Life-Writings/dp/0834805677

It's a historical approach to the life of Musashi, rather than the novel and Vagabond (which is something of a hybrid of real life and the novel).

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
For those interested.

I basically took more photos than I could ever post here. We ended up visiting the places mentioned above, Kokura, where he lived and established a school, and his birthplace in modern day Mimasaka. Here's a link to the 'in a nutshell' albums:

Mimasaka - Musashi's birthplace. Part of his remains are buried here with his family.
Kyushu - Reigan Cave, Musashizuka Park, Ganryūjima, and Kokura.

The whole experience was very memorable and fulfilling. Half the fun was getting to all these places.

Top Bottom