• Maybe

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 26.8%

• Total voters

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
That's what he's doing now. But buying the game a second time for $20 was originally more alluring than getting a new graphics card for $200.

Ah, I read it as him having just outrightbought an XB1. My mistake.

DOOM 2016 and Wolfenstein II were announced during today's direct. Certainly wasn't expecting that but I will be getting them. Hopefully FromSoftware will port the Dark Souls games like they were talking about a while back.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-plans-new-version-of-switch-next-year-1538629322

If they want to get ambitious aside from beefing up the capabilities somehow, and really change it up, I say make the undocked version more pocket portable or even foldable like a 3DS so it functions just as well as that on the go (would probably make it official 3DS is done). I mean, I don't know if that's going to adversely affect all you guys playing two player on roof tops, at the park or on the subway, but it's another way to go. =)

I wonder if they will make a beefier and larger version of the switch or go for a smaller form-factor. Another major factor is the child market, up until now the main marketing strategy has been to go after the young adult market. They might try to make a switch that is more durable and rigid, maybe even without joycons (kinda ruins the point of the "switch" feature or gimmick). If they were to do a tech refresh in 2019 it might be valuable for third party developers to be able to keep porting games to switch, or more easily develop new games for the switch. 2017 was full of major Nintendo releases with major releases (Mario, Mario Kart and Zelda), while most of 2018 was filled with ports until the fourth quarter. 2019 Seems to be full of scheduled releases with Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, a new main line Pokemon game, and potentially Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4. I wonder if we will see this eb and flow of releases from year to year with the switch. But what might alleviate this is that Nintendo only has to really focus on one console.

Are you sure they aren't just going to put in the new chipset like they were talking about before? They had released a revision quietly earlier this year that blocked most of the homebrew without changing the chipset so. [Here's a reference video i pulled up so you can double check that statement. He even says it within the 1st minute. https://youtu.be/7tovPBY149I

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gamehowitzer said:
Are you sure they aren't just going to put in the new chipset like they were talking about before?

No one can be sure of anything yet. Even Nintendo is still weighing the options for upgrades, according to the article.

As for small hardware changes to counteract piracy, those happen pretty regularly with consoles. But such changes wouldn't be "a way to maintain sales momentum" as this article indicates. That's something only a new or revised model could do. Anyway, two years into the console's life, it's pretty easy to guess at an "xl" version of the Switch on the horizon, particularly given Nintendo's handheld history. Lower cost for the base model, slightly better screen, slightly better performance for the "xl" sounds about right to me.

Personally, I think any slump in sales for the Switch are more likely to be software related than sticker shock. Because aside from Smash and Pokemon, there's been a dearth of major first-party software announcements. Hitting 2017 running with 2 amazing first-party titles was a great move that clearly paid off on the interim, but the long view has been looking spotty as a result -- hence slower sales. You can tell from the past few Directs that Nintendo has been leaning into their growing third-party lineup (I mean fuck, it finally happened for them!), but those are at best appetizers while most of us wait for more main courses to be served up.

Walter said:
No one can be sure of anything yet. Even Nintendo is still weighing the options for upgrades, according to the article.

As for small hardware changes to counteract piracy, those happen pretty regularly with consoles. But such changes wouldn't be "a way to maintain sales momentum" as this article indicates. That's something only a new or revised model could do. Anyway, two years into the console's life, it's pretty easy to guess at an "xl" version of the Switch on the horizon, particularly given Nintendo's handheld history. Lower cost for the base model, slightly better screen, slightly better performance for the "xl" sounds about right to me.

Personally, I think any slump in sales for the Switch are more likely to be software related than sticker shock. Because aside from Smash and Pokemon, there's been a dearth of major first-party software announcements. Hitting 2017 running with 2 amazing first-party titles was a great move that clearly paid off on the interim, but the long view has been looking spotty as a result -- hence slower sales. You can tell from the past few Directs that Nintendo has been leaning into their growing third-party lineup (I mean fuck, it finally happened for them!), but those are at best appetizers while most of us wait for more main courses to be served up.

I don't know about an XL version. The switch as is already barely fits into pockets, any larger and i feel like it would be stupid and annoying to lug around. I could see them upgrading the system in general with just overall better performance and battery life.
As for smash and pokemon, once those games drop the switch will surely either be flying off of shelves again, or have a pretty steady sale rate for the next year or two. I still haven't gotten switch online because i'm waiting on smash personally.

I think two things make it likely that Nintendo will release an "XL" version. 1: They have done that for past handheld consoles and 2: I don't think portable and handheld has to mean "pocket size", many people have tablets that are larger than the switch.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gamehowitzer said:
I don't know about an XL version. The switch as is already barely fits into pockets

Just spitballing here: It could be for the people who don't need to fit it into their pockets.

I could see them upgrading the system in general with just overall better performance and battery life.

Well that's why I called it "xl." They can upgrade it in a number of ways, not the least of which would be an enhanced screen — whether that means bigger or not.

As for smash and pokemon, once those games drop the switch will surely either be flying off of shelves again, or have a pretty steady sale rate for the next year or two.

Those aren't enough for everyone, myself included. It's been a long while since I regularly played my Switch.

Walter said:
Just spitballing here: It could be for the people who don't need to fit it into their pockets.

Well that's why I called it "xl." They can upgrade it in a number of ways, not the least of which would be an enhanced screen — whether that means bigger or not.

Those aren't enough for everyone, myself included. It's been a long while since I regularly played my Switch.
Yeah my sister is the only one who plays my switch rn. But once smash rolls around i will be obsessed with it.

Griffith

Walter said:

This was my main source of trepidation with Switch other than it being an outright flop and/or Wii U 2.0; after Zelda, which I could already play, and Mario what was next for me? At the time I hadn't even played the Galaxies yet so Mario wasn't exactly a must have for me anymore either, and so far nothing else has been released or even announced that I really care to play. It's basically Odyssey or bust if I ever get a Switch, so I might as well keep waiting and going through the PC and PS4 games I have or want.

Gamehowitzer said:
Yeah my sister is the only one who plays my switch rn. But once smash rolls around i will be obsessed with it.

I mean, isn't it just going to be Smash 4 Deluxe with a bigger roster? As a Zelda/Mega Man/Souls fiend I'm a total hypocrite for saying so, but get over it, Smash fans! You're just going to conclude it's not as good as Melee anyway. :carcus:

Griffith said:
I mean, isn't it just going to be Smash 4 Deluxe with a bigger roster? As a Zelda/Mega Man/Souls fiend I'm a total hypocrite for saying so, but get over it, Smash fans! You're just going to conclude it's not as good as Melee anyway. :carcus:
lol i personally don't care about melee. Without wavedashing (which was a bug) melee was slower than brawl. I'm just excited for dark samus, ridley, young link, etc. I mainly play marth so his changes are gonna be fun too. And it'll be more fast paced than even smash 4 was which i'm really excited for. Even the music is extremely hype. Have you HEARD the gangplank galleon? https://youtu.be/WiH0Nifzovk
Honestly i'm just really excited for it. It's cool if you guys aren't but don't make light of it!

Crimson Blade

Burns eternally hot
So far I've loved my Switch, and it's even better now that it included Youtube... but the game library is disappointing despite how often it's released.

I literally only have 4 games that I'm sticking with, Bayonetta 1 and 2 (possibly 3), Death Road to Canada, Zelda and then Youtube.

Nothing else interests me. And with the inclusion of their blatant ripoff online service, Pokemon is now officially dead to me as a series and all I look forward to now is the next Fire Emblem game. And some possible re-releases of older games.

Playing with a friend is amazing, the portability is, but man.... for me at least, the games leave a lot to be desired. I've tried a few others that I quickly resold, like Fire Emblem Warriors (Musou is lame) and Doom, both of which were mediocre at best.

I do have a pretty badass custom Berserk skin on it at least:
YRbsIiN.jpg

RQPyzP1.jpg

QvLMKh6.jpg

CipTx7I.jpg

Grail

Feel the funk blast
That's a neat custom Switch skin Crimson! I agree that aside from portability, there's not much that grabs my attention about this system. The only thing I was thinking about getting was Pokemon, and that doesn't feel worth buying a new console for.

Crimson said:
Nothing else interests me. And with the inclusion of their blatant ripoff online service, Pokemon is now officially dead to me as a series and all I look forward to now is the next Fire Emblem game.

Wait, what ripoff is this? :sad: You mean the connection to the mobile game?

Crimson Blade

Burns eternally hot
Grail said:
That's a neat custom Switch skin Crimson! I agree that aside from portability, there's not much that grabs my attention about this system. The only thing I was thinking about getting was Pokemon, and that doesn't feel worth buying a new console for.

Wait, what ripoff is this? :sad: You mean the connection to the mobile game?

It's something that basically kills games like Pokemon. Nintendo Switch Online means you have to pay an annual fee to play anything over the internet.
Unlike the 3DS, where you could do it so long as you bought the game and had internet, now you can't even trade or anything with another person (unless they're in the same room, I think) unless you pay for this garbage service.

And on top of that, you also need the Bank now (don't get me started on that) if you had past Pokemon. So I'm done. I don't care anymore if they're doing this.

There's a lot of controversy regarding the Online service if you Google it. So maybe they'll wise up, but... I'm not counting on it.
It's even worse that online play for the Switch was free until just a few months ago, so needless to say, yeah, I get why people are pissed.

Crimson said:
There's a lot of controversy regarding the Online service if you Google it. So maybe they'll wise up, but... I'm not counting on it.
It's even worse that online play for the Switch was free until just a few months ago, so needless to say, yeah, I get why people are pissed.
My only problem is that they don't have dedicated servers for games like smash. Other than that i think most of the "controversy" is people being whiney little shits. I'm not saying the online service is good, i'm just saying they told us that it would be a paid service long before the switch came out, AND postponed its launch, giving us free online for a time.

Griffith

qaneqnjx6dqe2nztz06h.png

So, what do we think of the Switch Lite? I might actually consider this because... I don't know when I'd play it at home anyway. Then again, it would be difficult to give up the TV functionality when you can take the regular model with you already, and the prices you'll be able to find may be comparable, especially if they bring out a pro model to really make the 1st generation obsolete. I notice it's also coming the same day as Link's Awakening, so there may be yet another Zelda-themed bundle. Anyway, what do you think, Switch users and non-users? I'm particularly interested in what current Switch owners think since they know the system and have the best idea how much this could improve or limit the experience.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So, what do we think of the Switch Lite? I might actually consider this because... I don't know when I'd play it at home anyway. Then again, it would be difficult to give up the TV functionality when you can take the regular model with you already, and the prices you'll be able to find may be comparable, especially if they bring out a pro model to really make the 1st generation obsolete. I notice it's also coming the same day as Link's Awakening, so there may be yet another Zelda-themed bundle. Anyway, what do you think, Switch users and non-users? I'm particularly interested in what current Switch owners think since they know the system and have the best idea how much this could improve or limit the experience.

It has no appeal to me personally, as until very recently, I more or less exclusively played in docked mode. But my son plays exclusively in handheld mode :shrug: So if he goes head-over-heels for the new Pokemon, I might end up getting one of these for him.

For anyone considering it, you should know that the handheld mode tends to downscale more processor-intensive games, whether in resolution, depth of field, etc., it's almost always a lesser experience. For some games, that hardly matters. But in Breath of the Wild, it went from 1080p to 720p noticeably. And in Xenosaga 2, it's basically unplayable in handheld mode.

Now it's possible Nintendo has raised the clock speed to ensure resolution parity, making this an upgrade over the original, but we won't know until release, likely.

Griffith

SPONSORED POST
It has no appeal to me personally, as until very recently, I more or less exclusively played in docked mode. But my son plays exclusively in handheld mode :shrug: So if he goes head-over-heels for the new Pokemon, I might end up getting one of these for him.

You should go ahead and order that sexy Pokemon version now. :carcus: It'd be my preference if not for the dumb cool looking animals on the back.

For anyone considering it, you should know that the handheld mode tends to downscale more processor-intensive games, whether in resolution, depth of field, etc., it's almost always a lesser experience. For some games, that hardly matters. But in Breath of the Wild, it went from 1080p to 720p noticeably. And in Xenosaga 2, it's basically unplayable in handheld mode.

Now it's possible Nintendo has raised the clock speed to ensure resolution parity, making this an upgrade over the original, but we won't know until release, likely.

Good tip, it'd indeed be strange if they didn't up its ability to play any game handheld, but STRANGER THINGS* have happened.

*This is a sponsored post. Watch Stranger Things 3, now streaming on Netflix! Also, pre-order the Nintendo Switch Lite Zacian and Zamazenta edition, available November 8 for $199.99!

There's obviously a market for the Switch Lite, but I can't really say I would go for it. I like being able to dock and play on my TV.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Kinda goes without saying, but this is the first of two planned new models for the Switch, a Lite and a "Pro" (I'd bet they'll call it New or Plus), due out next year.

So if it were just this, a stripped down, cheaper model, there'd be cause for confusion and concern. But this Lite is clearly just meant to reach a wider audience through price point. What they do with the Pro/Plus will likely be more interesting to us.

Griffith

I play exclusively in handheld mode. But why would I care about this? This does nothing my OG Switch doesn't already do.

Well, that's what I want to get at; knowing what you know now about your Switch usage habits, if you had to buy one again might you just opt for the cheaper Lite? That's why I'm considering it. I basically no longer have access to the TV anymore, and in fact it may be preferable if I can just sit off to the side and be "present" without being noticed while they watch Sesame Street or SVU, respectively. :ganishka:

Kinda goes without saying, but this is the first of two planned new models for the Switch, a Lite and a "Pro" (I'd bet they'll call it New or Plus), due out next year.

So if it were just this, a stripped down, cheaper model, there'd be cause for confusion and concern. But this Lite is clearly just meant to reach a wider audience through price point. What they do with the Pro/Plus will likely be more interesting to us.

I actually think the Lite makes more sense than the Pro for the reason you state but also because streamlining it in one direction can make it better or more efficient. I think I'd feel more comfortable playing the Lite than I have been with the regular, undocked Switch. It'll be interesting to see what the New/Pro/Plus concept will be exactly. I'm imagining just a more high-powered Switch, but will it also dramatically emphasize it's home console ability given the Lite is doing that for the portable side? I'm sure it'll still be portable as well, but you can't out-portable a dedicated portable device, and you don't necessarily have to serve both masters equally now, so I'm wondering if they'll pump up the home experience from a design standpoint to really specialize it, or if it'll just be a moderately up-spec'd Switch to replace the current model across the board. I mean, if they simply stuck a mini or micro HDMI on the Lite we wouldn't really need anything else. I'm sure there wasn't enough space to execute the concept with that included! =)

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that's what I want to get at; knowing what you know now about your Switch usage habits, if you had to buy one again might you just opt for the cheaper Lite? That's why I'm considering it. I basically no longer have access to the TV anymore, and in fact it may be preferable if I can just sit off to the side and be "present" without being noticed while they watch Sesame Street or SVU, respectively. :ganishka:

Ohhh I see, well that's a tough one. The thing is, it really depends on the games you're playing. Breath of the Wild is not something I'd play in portable mode for example. My usage has been portable but with games I deem compatible with a small screen, and I'm safe in the knowledge I can just plug it to the TV if I want to.

The Lite looks like a great device, and I think they'll sell boatloads of it, but personally if I had to buy my first Switch now, I'd probably still go for the regular one, or wait for a "Pro" version like Walter said.

Top Bottom