Official SKnet Wii thread

X

Xem

This is exciting :ubik: :

http://wii.ign.com/articles/105/1053203p1.html

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom finally coming to the US! I remember a friend of mine a while ago ranting on about this, but then the hype just kinda died away. But now it's returned, and on my birthday next year none-the-less.

Finally a good 2D fighting game on the Wii? Yes, please.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Castlevania Adventure: Rebirth came out today for Wii Ware:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177465

If I find time tonight, I'll download it and post my impressions.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Walter said:
Castlevania Adventure: Rebirth came out today for Wii Ware:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177465

If I find time tonight, I'll download it and post my impressions.

Please do, I've been waiting for impressions from someone I could trust.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Quick and dirty preview:

First off, it's good -- worth $10 Rakshas. Especially for CV fans. But as you read this, please keep in mind, I'm only at the second stage at this point. Oh yeah, and there's no way to save your game :mozgus:

If this game actually is a faithful remake of Castlevania: The Adventure for GameBoy then that game must have been really awesome =). This one feels more to me like Super Castlevania without the extra moves and special effects. For instance, you can't do anything too fancy with the whip, no twirling it around, and no swinging from it, so far. Though, you can get it powered to shoot fireballs ala LoZ.

Music is a little too tinny for my tastes. It doesn't even have that big symphony crammed into an 8-bit sound chip vibe that CV3 had. This is "just" remixed, techno-sounding CV music.

It controls like you'd expect from a CV game, but feels a little more loose to me. That's good and bad. You can manuever in mid-air, which is strange, since it retains the evil/classic Belmont-falter when you get hit.

Graphics? Nothing really to write home about. They're not overbearing, and not really memorable. If anything it looks like some sort of NES/SNES hybrid.

So far though, the one thing I keep thinking about is that it feels a little half-ass to me. It's not as grand as it could be. The project feels like it's intentionally gimping itself. The level design isn't ambitious at all. But we'll see as I progress if my opinion changes.

PS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYB65nK5hD0#t=0m49s (a video of the first stage being played).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Oh yeah, and there's no way to save your game

You know you love it! :ganishka:

Walter said:
If this game actually is a faithful remake of Castlevania: The Adventure for GameBoy then that game must have been really awesome =). This one feels more to me like Super Castlevania without the extra moves and special effects. For instance, you can't do anything too fancy with the whip, no twirling it around, and no swinging from it, so far. Though, you can get it powered to shoot fireballs ala LoZ.

The original game sucked pretty bad. Like you said this one seems to be going more for a Super Castlevania IV vibe, though certain things like the whip shooting fireballs were lifted straight off Castlevania: The Adventure.

Walter said:
So far though, the one thing I keep thinking about is that it feels a little half-ass to me. It's not as grand as it could be. The project feels like it's intentionally gimping itself. The level design isn't ambitious at all. But we'll see as I progress if my opinion changes.

Maybe because it's a ReBirth title? Anyway, much as I'd love to try it on, it still doesn't have a precise date for the European release... :sad:

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
ugggh.... Monster Hunter Tri is getting released in the states come 1Q of 2010 for NA.... UGGGH I hate being poor. :mozgus:

You live in Japan, don't you? :iva:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We already know we'll be getting a new Mario and Metroid game by summer, but is a new Zelda coming in 2010? Very possibly. We'll know for sure at E3. Until then, all we have is this tease:

[quote author=http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178147]
Speaking to Wired during the Nintendo Media Summit earlier this week, Dunaway seemed to suggest Zelda is indeed scheduled for release this year while touting Nintendo's strong lineup for 2010. "If you compare the first half of 2010 with the first half of 2009, it's night and day," Dunaway said. "And from some of the things that [Nintendo president Satoru] Iwata has talked about, and that we will talk about at E3, like Zelda, you know that we're going to have a good back half of the year, as well."

Moreover, when Wired's Chris Kohler -- who evidently wagered Mario, Metroid, and Zelda would not all release in the same year -- jokingly asked if he would owe Dunaway "a steak dinner" soon, her response was, "I think you do." [/quote]

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds good to me. :guts:

Too bad they didn't manage their planning better and ended up missing out on 2009, but I can't blame them for not rushing a game out just to meet a planning.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Either Nintendo's becoming even more tight-lipped on their games, or something is horribly off. I'm so used to waiting 2-4 years after a game's announced before its released. It feels too good to be true that a game I know nothing about (Zelda) would be out in 2010. Not that I'd complain. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Saephon said:
Either Nintendo's becoming even more tight-lipped on their games, or something is horribly off. I'm so used to waiting 2-4 years after a game's announced before its released. It feels too good to be true that a game I know nothing about (Zelda) would be out in 2010. Not that I'd complain. :guts:

Oh this is nothing new, they've been like this for a few years already. I'm not convinced it's the best marketing strategy ever, but when you look at the sales of their titles it doesn't look like they're in need of any advice.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (original PC Engine version) is getting released on Virtual Console at last. :ubik:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (original PC Engine version) is getting released on Virtual Console at last. :ubik:
That's fantastic. Finally! :daiba:

Read an update about the Wii's successor today. Basically, it's "not there yet."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27606/FilsAime_Nintendo_Not_There_Yet_On_Wii_Successor.php
[quote author=Reggie Fils Aime]
"We pride ourselves on the big innovative jump, typically in the area of the consumer experience," the executive explained in an interview with Forbes discussing Nintendo's future and current technology trends.

"The way we approach that innovation, because we have hardware developers working side by side with software developers, is that when the software developer comes forward with an idea that can't be executed on the current platform, that's when we start thinking seriously about the next system. We're not there yet, from a Wii perspective."[/quote]

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rondo of Blood is out on Virtual Console in America now. I'll finally be able to play this long-lost game TONIGHT. Can't wait :daiba:

Update: Wow. Zero effort went into this port. Most of the text is still in Japanese, including the chapter start text, but also the cinematic subtitles. Fantastic. Now I understand what took so long in getting this game ported ... :schierke:

Still, the game is fucking awesome. I found myself laughing at the challenge of some of the levels. It really brought me back to my childhood days, trying to conquer Ninja Gaiden. Im only at the third stage... but having a blast.

I hope to power through it on my day off. :daiba:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Fragile comes out today! I preordered it after work yesterday. I saw a trailer for it a bit over a year ago and my first thought was "Welp, that's not coming out here!" Fast forward to now, and I see it's up for preorder! Horay! :ubik:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Update: Wow. Zero effort went into this port. Most of the text is still in Japanese, including the chapter start text, but also the cinematic subtitles. Fantastic. Now I understand what took so long in getting this game ported ... :schierke:

Well that's the concept of the Virtual Console. Exactly like the original, bugs and all.

X

Xem

Dar Klink said:
Fragile comes out today! I preordered it after work yesterday. I saw a trailer for it a bit over a year ago and my first thought was "Welp, that's not coming out here!" Fast forward to now, and I see it's up for preorder! Horay! :ubik:

Dude, let me know what you think. I remember reading and watching stuff about that game for what seems like a long time ago. Seems pretty interesting.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Game looks gorgeous, but those anime cutscenes and the mopey protagonist are a real turnoff to me. Let me know what you think.

Dar_Klink

Walter said:
Game looks gorgeous, but those anime cutscenes and the mopey protagonist are a real turnoff to me. Let me know what you think.
I love it so far, but it's really a niche title. It focuses heavily on the atmosphere and story.
The combat is basically an array of breakable melee weapons of different types(A-A-A combo or Thrust and Spin) and some ranged ones.
It's about a boy named Seto, who lives in some post-apocalyptic world, leaving his home because of the death of his Grandpa and looking for survivors. You explore the world by moving with the nunchuck and moving the flashlight around with the Wiimote.
The characters so far include Isma a young silver-haired girl in sparse, clinging clothing, a robotic talking backpack, a gay vampire-looking Peter Pan, a creepy merchant in a suit and giant chickenhead, and the ghost of a girl with scars and surgical markings all over her body. Everyone seems to have a crush on Seto(yes, including the robotic backpack... and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a crush on her too :slan:)
One pretty cool feature is these memory items that you find around the world, which range from a deflated balloon to a tea cup that you use to listen to the memories of people around the time that shit hit the fan and the world got fucked over. They're all a bit depressing, of course.
Anyway, the soundtrack is really good, as you most likely expected, the atmosphere can get pretty creepy at times with the laughter of ghost children coming out of your wiimote, and the story is overall pretty melancholy. I won't give a FINAL verdict until I beat it, but I really like it so far, although I don't think it's for everyone.

OH AND ALSO... GAMESTOP WAS LIKE "NO WE DON'T HAVE A PREORDER BONUS WITH THIS GAME!" So I look on the website for the game, and it says in the bottom corner of it that if you preorder the game, specifically, from GameStop, it comes with the Soundtrack... I mad :mozgus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
What about the things IGN had to say about its clunky gameplay design?

"For example, there are no lock-on controls of any kind and therefore combat with enemies feels clumsy. "

"If a foe doges your attack, you have to run past him, slowly turn around and try again"
That sounds uh, pretty cripplingly bad to me.

Dar_Klink

Walter said:
What about the things IGN had to say about its clunky gameplay design?
That sounds uh, pretty cripplingly bad to me.
I find it easier to just use the spin attack weapons and... spin attack. Even if the enemy gets behind you, you'll hit it. The bird enemies and crying ladies still get really annoying though. Nothing gamebreaking for me so far though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Cave Story is finally hitting WiiWare on Monday after years in development. Here's a letter the creator sent to Kotaku recently, promoting its release:

http://kotaku.com/5496550/a-cave-story-on-my-wall

Additional features of the WiiWare game include remixed music, completely overhauled graphics, apparently some newer levels, and a sidestory.

Have you guys heard about Mistwalker's new game? The artworks are gorgeous and the songs are so beautiful!

96hmae.jpg

This is my favorite: http://i39.tinypic.com/dhfzme.jpg

Click on the little circle on the lower right for more awesomeness (the song is totally worth it, seriously): http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/slsj/

Top Bottom