On the Future of Falconia

Greetings, I hope you're all doing well!

In recent memory I've witnessed some chatter among the Berserk community concerning Griffith and his intentions for the city of Falconia, particularly a "second sacrifice" of sorts that would (in theory) allot him unfathomable power, based on loose alignment with the laws of causality. I disagree with this, but here are my further elaborations:

The context behind this idea is a theory which I'll summarize here: that Void became a member of the God Hand via sacrificing Gaiseric/SK and members of his executive body. Gaiseric escapes. Later, Void returns to the corporeal world in human form (à la Griffith during the finale of the Conviction Arc). He starts a religious cult that establishes a significant sphere of influence over Midland (perhaps what the Holy See is based upon), which erases every trace of Gaiseric from history. Void then orchestrates the cosmic destruction of the kingdom's capital, which we saw flashes of in 362 as well as scattered remains of beneath the Tower of Rebirth. Over time, with Void as the fresh recruit, the prior four God Hand members perish, and new kinsman are born. If causality hints that Griffith's story echoes Void's, then he should be in the midst of scheming his way to attaining even greater power.

My major gripe with this theory is that causality doesn't mean that major events in the Berserk universe must mirror each other and/or repeat to a tee. Plus, Void having the same story as Griffith (or vice-versa) just isn't very compelling, storytelling-wise. There are some fun ideas here though, even if they're full of holes: if Void did carry out these events as written in this theory, I suppose it could explain how he gained the ability to distribute the brand of sacrifice; a special power which other God Hand members don't have--but it seems like a small-scale payoff for such a large-scale sacrifice. He/she who first authored this theory was overthinking it. Void initiated a cataclysmic event somewhere in Gaiseric's empire, with countless citizens and SK's significant other bearing the brand, end of story (at least so far).

Nonetheless, I highly disagree with this "second sacrifice" as it pertains to Falconia. Why would Griffith do this? Wouldn't this render the entire Falcon of the Millennium Empire arc pointless? Isn't Falconia the reason why Griffith returned to the corporeal world to begin with? His dream? What motives could he possibly have for usurping the God Hand and willingly wrecking everything he's worked for? I understand that Griffith sees no end to his lofty ambitions, but destroying Falconia isn't the way to do it. What do you think?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Crowlfish, I hope you're doing well too.

The Void theory you wrote about here doesn't make sense to me, to the point where it's not even worth talking about. As for Griffith's end goal being to perform a mega sacrifice, the idea isn't new, but it was never taken seriously around here. To me, the problem with it isn't so much that it would damage Griffith's dream, it's that it would serve no purpose.

If you're curious, here are some of my thoughts following episode 362's release, and some more in response to episode 363.

Hi Crowlfish, I hope you're doing well too.

The Void theory you wrote about here doesn't make sense to me, to the point where it's not even worth talking about. As for Griffith's end goal being to perform a mega sacrifice, the idea isn't new, but it was never taken seriously around here. To me, the problem with it isn't so much that it would damage Griffith's dream, it's that it would serve no purpose.

If you're curious, here are some of my thoughts following episode 362's release, and some more in response to episode 363.
Thanks Aazealh! I'll be sure to read up on those!

Top Bottom