Reception of Berserk's continuation in Japan?

BiQ_

" ... "
As famous Berserk is in western markets, the fact remains it's still published for Japanese market first and foremost. I wonder what kind of reception this phase of the story has garnered there, if anyone happens to know?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to say, honestly. There isn't any reliable Berserk online community there that I know of, and the long time fans are middle aged people who probably aren't online much anyway. The best indicator will be volume sales, but it would probably need to be volume 43's sales to see the full impact if there is one.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Even if we had a reliable source for Japanese fans' interest levels, I think it would take some time to gauge such an opinion. Because right now, many are still within the honeymoon phase of this team inheriting a well-regarded story. Only later will we get an answer for if that interest level can be sustained given the new team's quality of output.

Nothing will ever satisfy everyone. Maybe they should've continued Berserk in the way they're rebooting Black Jack: using an AI based on ChatGPT-4 for the art. Maybe then at least it would be higher quality and new episodes would have a consistent schedule instead of these breaks (which I knew would happen). I remember one of the issues had an advertisement for hiring new artists for Studio Gaga. Then again, you still have the issue of writing and Mori-sensei seems to be preoccupied with his recently launched new manga titled "D.Diver." I don't sense he's committed to the Berserk project. The lack of organization and single-minded pursuit to faithfully completing Berserk is an all-around tragedy.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe they should've continued Berserk in the way they're rebooting Black Jack: using an AI based on ChatGPT-4 for the art. Maybe then at least it would be higher quality and new episodes would have a consistent schedule instead of these breaks (which I knew would happen). I remember one of the issues had an advertisement for hiring new artists for Studio Gaga. Then again, you still have the issue of writing and Mori-sensei seems to be preoccupied with his recently launched new manga titled "D.Diver."

That's easily one of the stupidest ideas I've ever read on this forum. The fact Tezuka Productions would do this to Black Jack only underlines how terribly managed it has been over the past 30 years. By the way, GPT-4 is a large language model; it outputs text, not images. It can't replace artists, and the TEZUKA2023 project seems to not even be about using the model to generate stories or dialogue, but rather as a tool to help "various creators" in unspecified ways during the creative process. In summary, it seems to purely be a marketing gimmick.

Nothing will ever satisfy everyone. Maybe they should've continued Berserk in the way they're rebooting Black Jack: using an AI based on ChatGPT-4 for the art. Maybe then at least it would be higher quality and new episodes would have a consistent schedule instead of these breaks (which I knew would happen). I remember one of the issues had an advertisement for hiring new artists for Studio Gaga. Then again, you still have the issue of writing and Mori-sensei seems to be preoccupied with his recently launched new manga titled "D.Diver." I don't sense he's committed to the Berserk project. The lack of organization and single-minded pursuit to faithfully completing Berserk is an all-around tragedy.
This is much worse than what is happening now, lol.

ai still is 30 years off from when it can replicate manga
I know it's inevitable, but I truly wish it will never reach this point

AI will never reach the point where it can "replicate" manga. As Aazealh said above in another context, AI can't replace artists, and especially not a genius like Kentaro Miura.

---

That said, just for fun and out of curiosity, I asked ChatGPT to come up with a possible scenario for the ending, an alternate 'continuation' if you will. Here is its response:

"Certainly! Although I must clarify that without Kentaro Miura's guidance, any scenario beyond Episode 364 is purely speculative and does not represent the original intentions of the author. Nevertheless, I can provide you with a possible scenario based on the existing narrative and themes of Berserk:

Scenario:

Episode 364 concludes with Guts and his companions preparing for their final confrontation with Griffith. They have gathered allies, including former members of the Band of the Hawk who have turned against Griffith's tyrannical rule. The stage is set for an epic battle that will determine the fate of the world.

1. The Battle for Midland: Guts and his allies lead a massive assault on Midland, Griffith's kingdom. The city becomes a battleground, with demons and apostles defending Griffith's reign. Guts' group fights fiercely, showcasing their growth and development throughout their journey. The battle is filled with intense combat, magical clashes, and strategic maneuvering.
  2. The Betrayal of Apostles: As the battle rages, tensions among Griffith's apostles start to rise. Some apostles, disillusioned by Griffith's godlike persona, begin questioning their loyalty. A few powerful apostles turn against Griffith, recognizing the atrocities he committed to reach his current position. Their defection weakens Griffith's forces, shifting the balance of power in favor of Guts' group.
  3. Confrontation with the God Hand: As Guts approaches Griffith, he encounters the God Hand members, the ultimate manipulators of destiny. They attempt to deter Guts from his path, tempting him with promises of power and an alternate future. Guts, however, remains resolute, refusing to be swayed by their machinations. This confrontation serves as a culmination of the series' exploration of fate, free will, and the struggle against predestined events.
  4. Casca's Restoration: With the aid of his companions, Guts successfully finds a way to restore Casca's sanity. This pivotal moment allows for a heartfelt reunion between Guts and Casca, as they find solace in their shared trauma and recommit themselves to each other. Casca's restored state grants her a newfound strength and clarity, becoming a crucial asset in the battle against Griffith.
  5. Griffith's Redemption or Downfall: Guts finally confronts Griffith, engaging in a desperate and brutal duel. Throughout the battle, Griffith reveals a conflicted nature, torn between his ambitions and the remnants of his humanity. This internal struggle exposes the complexity of Griffith's character, blurring the lines between hero and villain. Depending on the narrative direction, Griffith might find redemption through a selfless act or succumb to his darkest desires, ultimately leading to his downfall.
  6. The Ultimate Sacrifice: As the battle reaches its climax, the cost of victory becomes apparent. Some of Guts' closest allies and friends make the ultimate sacrifice to ensure a chance at a brighter future. Their selfless acts solidify the themes of sacrifice and loss that have been prevalent throughout the series, emphasizing the price one must pay to challenge fate and create a new world.
  7. The Aftermath and Resolution: With the battle concluded, Guts and his remaining companions must face the aftermath and rebuild a shattered world. The story explores the consequences of their actions, the scars they carry, and their resolve to shape a better future. The resolution of Berserk may offer closure for the surviving characters, with a focus on healing, redemption, and the potential for a more hopeful world.
It's important to reiterate that this scenario is purely speculative, as the true intentions of Kentaro Miura remain unknown. The tragic loss of the author leaves the ending of Berserk shrouded in uncertainty, and fans can only imagine the possibilities that might have unfolded under his guidance."

Aside from other problems, points 2 and 5 had me laughing. Apostles turning on Griffith once they "recognize the atrocities he committed" sounds worse than the worst fanfiction. Griffith committing a "selfless act" also sounds wrong in so many ways.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
AI will never reach the point where it can "replicate" manga. As Aazealh said above in another context, AI can't replace artists, and especially not a genius like Kentaro Miura.

What I said is that GPT is a family of language models. There are also image generation models that replicate art. But that doesn't mean they can produce quality original art, much like large language models can't produce quality original writing.

Anyway, this is a thread about the continuation's reception in Japan. Maybe this is my fault for allowing Kubricked's digression in the first place, but this AI talk is irrelevant.

Aside from other problems, points 2 and 5 had me laughing. Apostles turning on Griffith once they "recognize the atrocities he committed" sounds worse than the worst fanfiction. Griffith committing a "selfless act" also sounds wrong in so many ways.

These models function by absorbing enormous quantities of text and then (extreme simplification) applying various probabilistic techniques to fashion a credible-sounding result. This text you got was reconstituted from several sources, most of which likely didn't relate to Berserk at all (it just swapped the names). That's why it's off.

---

That said, just for fun and out of curiosity, I asked ChatGPT to come up with a possible scenario for the ending, an alternate 'continuation' if you will. Here is its response:

"Certainly! Although I must clarify that without Kentaro Miura's guidance, any scenario beyond Episode 364 is purely speculative and does not represent the original intentions of the author. Nevertheless, I can provide you with a possible scenario based on the existing narrative and themes of Berserk:

Scenario:

Episode 364 concludes with Guts and his companions preparing for their final confrontation with Griffith. They have gathered allies, including former members of the Band of the Hawk who have turned against Griffith's tyrannical rule. The stage is set for an epic battle that will determine the fate of the world.

1. The Battle for Midland: Guts and his allies lead a massive assault on Midland, Griffith's kingdom. The city becomes a battleground, with demons and apostles defending Griffith's reign. Guts' group fights fiercely, showcasing their growth and development throughout their journey. The battle is filled with intense combat, magical clashes, and strategic maneuvering.
  2. The Betrayal of Apostles: As the battle rages, tensions among Griffith's apostles start to rise. Some apostles, disillusioned by Griffith's godlike persona, begin questioning their loyalty. A few powerful apostles turn against Griffith, recognizing the atrocities he committed to reach his current position. Their defection weakens Griffith's forces, shifting the balance of power in favor of Guts' group.
  3. Confrontation with the God Hand: As Guts approaches Griffith, he encounters the God Hand members, the ultimate manipulators of destiny. They attempt to deter Guts from his path, tempting him with promises of power and an alternate future. Guts, however, remains resolute, refusing to be swayed by their machinations. This confrontation serves as a culmination of the series' exploration of fate, free will, and the struggle against predestined events.
  4. Casca's Restoration: With the aid of his companions, Guts successfully finds a way to restore Casca's sanity. This pivotal moment allows for a heartfelt reunion between Guts and Casca, as they find solace in their shared trauma and recommit themselves to each other. Casca's restored state grants her a newfound strength and clarity, becoming a crucial asset in the battle against Griffith.
  5. Griffith's Redemption or Downfall: Guts finally confronts Griffith, engaging in a desperate and brutal duel. Throughout the battle, Griffith reveals a conflicted nature, torn between his ambitions and the remnants of his humanity. This internal struggle exposes the complexity of Griffith's character, blurring the lines between hero and villain. Depending on the narrative direction, Griffith might find redemption through a selfless act or succumb to his darkest desires, ultimately leading to his downfall.
  6. The Ultimate Sacrifice: As the battle reaches its climax, the cost of victory becomes apparent. Some of Guts' closest allies and friends make the ultimate sacrifice to ensure a chance at a brighter future. Their selfless acts solidify the themes of sacrifice and loss that have been prevalent throughout the series, emphasizing the price one must pay to challenge fate and create a new world.
  7. The Aftermath and Resolution: With the battle concluded, Guts and his remaining companions must face the aftermath and rebuild a shattered world. The story explores the consequences of their actions, the scars they carry, and their resolve to shape a better future. The resolution of Berserk may offer closure for the surviving characters, with a focus on healing, redemption, and the potential for a more hopeful world.
It's important to reiterate that this scenario is purely speculative, as the true intentions of Kentaro Miura remain unknown. The tragic loss of the author leaves the ending of Berserk shrouded in uncertainty, and fans can only imagine the possibilities that might have unfolded under his guidance."

interesting, this is what I got:

In this hypothetical ending, Guts continues his relentless pursuit of vengeance against the God Hand, the demonic beings responsible for the Eclipse and the suffering that has plagued his life. As Guts and his band of allies, including Casca and his loyal companions, battle their way through countless hordes of apostles and demonic creatures, they slowly unravel the truth behind the origins of the God Hand and the nature of the Abyss.

Throughout their journey, Guts confronts his inner demons and battles with his own darkness, seeking a way to reconcile his desire for revenge with the possibility of finding peace and redemption. Meanwhile, the God Hand, led by Griffith, grows increasingly threatened by Guts' actions and endeavors to eliminate him before he becomes a true threat to their power.

As the final confrontation approaches, Guts discovers a hidden truth about the origins of the God Hand and their connection to the world. With this knowledge, he formulates a plan to strike at the heart of their power, aiming to break the cycle of suffering and destruction they perpetuate. This plan requires a sacrifice of great magnitude, and Guts must grapple with the moral implications of such an act.

In a climactic battle, Guts confronts Griffith and the God Hand in an epic showdown that shakes the very foundations of the world. Through sheer determination, strength, and the support of his comrades, Guts manages to defeat Griffith, severing his ties to the God Hand and disrupting their control over the world.

The aftermath of this victory sees the world in chaos and transition. Guts, having achieved his vengeance, now faces the challenge of rebuilding and finding a new purpose. He takes on the responsibility of protecting the innocent and guiding humanity towards a brighter future, despite the scars and trauma he carries.

The series concludes with Guts, having found some semblance of peace and redemption, setting off on a new journey, his sword in hand and his companions by his side, as he continues to navigate the remnants of a world forever changed by his actions.

Keep in mind that this is purely a speculative scenario and does not reflect any official plans for the series. The true ending of "Berserk" can only be determined by the creators involved in the future of the manga.

That's easily one of the stupidest ideas I've ever read on this forum. The fact Tezuka Productions would do this to Black Jack only underlines how terribly managed it has been over the past 30 years. By the way, GPT-4 is a large language model; it outputs text, not images. It can't replace artists, and the TEZUKA2023 project seems to not even be about using the model to generate stories or dialogue, but rather as a tool to help "various creators" in unspecified ways during the creative process. In summary, it seems to purely be a marketing gimmick.
Well said man, this AI sh*t is getting out of hand.

Top Bottom