Schierke the witch girl

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
She seems to be quite knowledgeable for such a young girl. This leads me to believe that she is older than she seems...much older. Perhaps she is even knowledgeable about causality and the God Hand. She may even know what happened with Gaiseric. And I am not talking about just reading about it...I am talking about she actually being there. I wonder... :eek:

Maybe she's SkullKnight's little sister. ;D

She knows something...and the number of characters that are powerful as the Apostle's but aren't god hand apostles is certainly making me wonder.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
...and the number of characters that are powerful as the Apostle's but aren't god hand apostles is certainly making me wonder.
What....all one of them?  ;D Schierke, after all could be an apostle for all we know.

Schierke, after all could be an apostle for all we know.

I doubt it... When she talks about the way she "possesed" the bird", she uses the word "kôtai" ("luminous body"), and says that she couldn't get any closer to the battlefield herself as she could have gotten lost in the dimension of the specters because of the "power" gathered in that place...
So I think she has nothing to do with the Idea, the God Hands, the Apostles, the specters and so on, and actually is on "the other side"... "A "luminous body" "possessing" something in an apparently non-violent way? 'Looks like the contrary of what the specters do...

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
'luminous body'....sounds positive to me. Whereas 'possession' sounds negative....intriguing!

So far, we do not know why the little elf girl accompanies Schierke(cute name by the way). Its a safe bet that Schierke is good and pure of heart...but that remains to be seen.

Ok now...other than humans being interesting to Puck, why the hell is he hanging around Gutts?? Is there anywhere in the manga that Puck gave another reason(other than trying his best to look after post-eclipse Caska)?

Schierke and Puck girl.....Gutts and Puck.

Gutts and Puck.....Schierke and Puck girl.

Well shit...It doesn't add up!

'luminous body'....sounds positive to me. Whereas 'possession' sounds negative....intriguing!
Well, yeah, that's why I wrote "possessed" within quotation marks... It looks like the bird "accepted" to be Schierke's vessel (she also thanks the bird when it's over).
It looks ike a "positive version" of the way specters possess people...
So far, we do not know why the little elf girl
According to Miura, Elves have no gender... But he may have changed his mind? We'll see...
accompanies Schierke(cute name by the way).
In Japanese, it's "shi-ruke", phonetically. And since "Schierke" is the only existing name I know that would be written as "shi-ruke" in Japanese...
Its a safe bet that Schierke is good and pure of
heart...but that remains to be seen.
That, and Schierke and her Elf were on that postcard, with Guts, Casca, Puck, Isidro, Farnese, Serpico and Azan. 'Looks like they're all supposed to be "the good guys"?
Ok now...other than humans being interesting to Puck, why the hell is he hanging around Gutts?? Is there anywhere in the manga that Puck gave another reason(other than trying his best to look after post-eclipse Caska)?
I think Puck believes he's Guts' Jiminy Cricket. ^_^;

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
I doubt it... When she talks about the way she "possesed" the bird", she uses the word "kôtai" ("luminous body"), and says that she couldn't get any closer to the battlefield herself as she could have gotten lost in the dimension of the specters because of the "power" gathered in that place...

This makes me think of something else. My theory has always been that griffis is the bad guy. Also, I still believe he is femto and that he will sooner or later do something really nasty to prove his "badguyness". The "power "of that place may be his aura of evil, as he may a ghost or some sort of spiritual generator in a human form, or at least, ghosts follow him around like a swirling storm, with griffis as the sinister eye of that cyclone.

In Japanese, it's "shi-ruke", phonetically. And since "Schierke" is the only existing name I know that would be written as "shi-ruke" in Japanese...

Could it be by any chance 'Circe', just like the name of the sorceress in Homer's Odyssey ?

Also, about yet another name, I know the Eidos translation of the nun's name was 'Eriza', but wouldn't it be more logical if it was 'Elisa', which is a quite common name in western countries ? (Anyway, just my two cents...)

Could it be by any chance 'Circe', just like the name of the sorceress in Homer's Odyssey ?

I don't think so... I'll check, but...
EDIT: I just checked, and "Circe" is apparently written/said "kiruke-", in Japanese...

Also, about yet another name, I know the Eidos translation of the nun's name was 'Eriza', but wouldn't it be more logical if it was 'Elisa', which is a quite common name in western countries ?

Maybe, but that's how it's written in the Visual & Story File.

According to Miura, Elves have no gender... But he may have changed his mind? We'll see...

if so, then i feel sorry for puck... that poor little bastard's been deprived of something very important for a very long time...

That, and Schierke and her Elf were on that postcard, with Guts, Casca, Puck, Isidro, Farnese, Serpico and Azan. 'Looks like they're all supposed to be "the good guys"?

:eek: There is a post card with all of them? Darn it, I'm still too new to Berserk, I've never even heard of that postcard. And I was wondering what was going on with Farnese and company.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
:eek: There is a post card with all of them? Darn it, I'm still too new to Berserk, I've never even heard of that postcard. And I was wondering what was going on with Farnese and company.
dia01nenga.jpg

Using the Greek pronounciation

That's what I thought, but then again I just can't be sure...
I suppose some of you remember that old anime about Ulysses that happens in the 31st century... ^^;;
The main computer of his ship is called 'Shirka' (phonetically) and I was just wondering if it was derived from any form of the name 'Circe', as there is no reference of any 'Shirka' in the Odyssey (then again, there are no Themis or Nono either ^^;;;... )

EDIT: It seems that Circe is mentioned at some point in the anime (as being destroyed along with her library by Poseidon...), so it has nothing to do with 'Shyrka' (which is the spelling in the anime).

Anyway, this is still complete speculation from me... I just find such a likeness between the names and both being sorceress/witches weird.

P.S.: Btw Olivier, are you somehow connected to the future french translation of the manga ? (you just seem to know quite much about it while Dynamic doesn't say a word on their website...). I just would feel kinda relieved if you were :)
Any further details about it ? ^^;

P.S.: Btw Olivier, are you somehow connected to the future french translation of the manga ? (you just seem to know quite much about it while Dynamic doesn't say a word on their website...). I just would feel kinda relieved if you were :)

Er... We're in talks.
That's all I can tell you right now... ^_^;

ack! I wasn't too clear gomen. I meant that The Japanese language used the Greek prounounciation when they write Circe. (If I didn't know that, my Classics professor would kill me >_<)

I don't doubt that Shiruke is Schierke.

Finding the real readings for katakana obscure names is not easy.

Added on:
I threw Schierke into Google and found this site ^_^;;
http://home.t-online.de/home/jhoward/schierke.htm
and this:
http://www.worldandi.com/public/2001/April/walpu.html

Er... We're in talks.
That's all I can tell you right now... ^_^;

Shall I tell you 'merde' ? ^^:: (or maybe a simple 'good luck!' will be enough... :) )

I threw Schierke into Google and found this site ^_^;;
http://home.t-online.de/home/jhoward/schierke.htm
and this:
http://www.worldandi.com/public/2001/April/walpu.html

Wow, great links, especially the second, very interesting...
The only thing I had found was about the town's candidature for the 2006 winter games... -_-;;
I'd say there's very little doubt about the name now.
Thanks Narumi :)

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
So I think she has nothing to do with the Idea, the God Hands, the Apostles, the specters and so on, and actually is on "the other side"... "A "luminous body" "possessing" something in an apparently non-violent way? 'Looks like the contrary of what the specters do...

This made me want to look up exactly what a "luminous body" is. My initial guess was that a luminous body is something akin to an astral projection... it's not the person themself, just a manifestation of the energies inside them. This is a common thing for practitioners of the magic arts. ^^

I ended up looking for reference material, and I was able to find a rather interesting link:
http://utenti.tripod.it/Claudio_Simeoni/body.htm
This had some intriguing lines in it! It explains the differences between the astral body and the luminous body... that "astral body is part of the shapeless energy inside every Being of Nature, while luminous body is that part of energy that the Being of Nature shapes by exerting its will." If this is the same luminous body Schierke was talking about, it's most definitely something she honed with some sort of sorcerian training. I'm guessing she is the more "real" variety of witch in the Berserk world, as compared to the foolish frothing pagans that Nina got caught up in. :)

Now *this* line in the link above was intriguing too, in a different way...

"The individual shapes its luminous body by acting, planning, using its aim, following its passions, calling things with their real name, facing the contradictions of life: living as a "warrior" who determines him/herself!"

It sounds like something Miura himself would have written! Doesn't that sound kind of like Guts? ;D Or at least how he *should* be if he wants to succeed in the end? I really can't ever picture Guts in tune enough with himself to project a luminous body, but in the very least, this line makes me think that Schierke will have some sort of major role in reshaping and preparing Guts for his future roles.

Top Bottom