SK.net in brazilian edition of Berserk!

I was rereading vol 2 yesterday and decided to read the other stuff that comes in it besides the story itself (advertisement and stuff) and guess what? I just stumbled upon "skullknight.net" :isidro: Now the forum is immortalized on an official berserk publication! \o/ haha
It was just the letter section, but it was a recommendation by the staff, what is really nice regardless of its real importance :iva:
sk3t.jpg

sk1z.jpg

sk2p.jpg

Something along "before starting the letters section, I'd like to thank the great lot of people who asked for this manga (...) and I'll utilize the space to recommend a very cool site (...) which has, for example, a Berserk encyclopedia and a list of all covers and titles of chapters* published"

*yeah, chapters :troll:

Ps.: I didn't want to start a thread over it, but I couldn't find another place to put it. If someone already told you guys about it, feel free to delete it :serpico:

Also worth mentioning is that their "translation" of 髑髏の騎士 is "Skullknight". That's one word, and in English.

First it's "Skullknight - O Cavaleiro Da Caveira", but later they just drop the portuguese translation and stick to Skullknight.

skbr.jpg

Chapter 37: Skullknight - The Knight Of Skull

:ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ohhh, that's very cool! I always knew Brazilian people had great taste! :badbone:

Eluvei said:
Also worth mentioning is that their "translation" of 髑髏の騎士 is "Skullknight". That's one word, and in English.

It should be two words if one wants to be absolutely accurate though. "The Skull Knight". :SK:

Aazealh said:
Ohhh, that's very cool! I always knew Brazilian people had great taste! :badbone:

Thanks Aaz, but I'm afraid Lara and I are some of the few exceptions. :judo:

Aazealh said:
It should be two words if one wants to be absolutely accurate though. "The Skull Knight". :SK:

Yeah, sometimes they do write "Skull Knight", but these are rare. I guess it depends on who's typing. One knows English, while the other thinks Skullknight is his first name or something.

The translation itself is very good. There are some typing mistakes, some translations that sound weird, but overall it's a decent job. I was expecting to read something in the lines of "Get in mah belly" or "Don't be poppin' a boner on top of my head" when they first announced Berserk here, so guess my expectations were low, but I ended up very satisfied in the end.

Eluvei said:
Thanks Aaz, but I'm afraid Lara and I are some of the few exceptions. :judo:
so true :judo:

Yeah, sometimes they do write "Skull Knight", but these are rare. I guess it depends on who's typing. One knows English, while the other thinks Skullknight is his first name or something.
The translation itself is very good. There are some typing mistakes, some translations that sound weird, but overall it's a decent job. I was expecting to read something in the lines of "Get in mah belly" or "Don't be poppin' a boner on top of my head" when they first announced Berserk here, so guess my expectations were low, but I ended up very satisfied in the end.
really? well, I don't know if it's because I read in English first so it makes reading in other language weird, but I don't like it much. Lines can get very artificial. (ex: the choice for words like "maligno" instead of "ruim" or "mau", makes it a bit lame sometimes) It applies for some other Panini publications too, so I don't think it's an isolated problem. But really, better that than nothing. :casca: I guess it's better than "get in mah belly" haha
Another problem is that it's expensive and uglier :azan: With Conrad (!!) you can wait some months and buy with very good prices T.T

As for the :badbone: thing, I guess it's because it sounds better and fans are used to it (they say they do "research" about the fandom on the internet)

Lara Skadi said:
really? well, I don't know if it's because I read in English first so it makes reading in other language weird, but I don't like it much.

It's weird for me too because of the same reason but, overall, considering the series has so many complex subjects and small details, our translators tend to fuck up a lot more than they did in Berserk. As you can see, they have linked to SK.net, so it shows that they have at least developed some kind of interest on the subject. There are also those little Wikipedia entries they put at the end of the volumes, for example the 2 page article on the real life King Geiseric. I don't know, they could do (and have done) worse in our country.

Lara Skadi said:
Lines can get very artificial. (ex: the choice for words like "maligno" instead of "ruim" or "mau", makes it a bit lame sometimes)

On that particular example I can't agree with you, but I do know what you mean by artificial. There are some details that they could have done better. It's like they're trying too hard to transliterate some things, making them sound weird in Portuguese.

Lara Skadi said:
It applies for some other Panini publications too, so I don't think it's an isolated problem. But really, better that than nothing. :casca: I guess it's better than "get in mah belly" haha

Oh, I've only read Berserk by that company, so I wouldn't know. Well, at least we have SK.net's translations, which are most likely the best thing if you can't read Japanese.

Lara Skadi said:
Another problem is that it's expensive and uglier :azan: With Conrad (!!) you can wait some months and buy with very good prices T.T

I wouldn't be happy with such an unstable company doing my favorite series, really. You can look at how they have no respect for the fans in this thread. But you're right, The quality is pretty bad, and it's too damn small and tends to be torn apart after a few reads. I had to buy an edition five times. :mozgus:

Lara Skadi said:
As for the :badbone: thing, I guess it's because it sounds better and fans are used to it (they say they do "research" about the fandom on the internet)

Yeah, I couldn't possibly get used to "O Cavaleiro Da Caveira". It's even funny! :ganishka:

yeah, I know about instability, since I collect some of their publications and it's rather frustrating when they suddenly stop selling something :s Some say it's budget issue, is it right? On the other hand, I prefer the material they use, their translations and their prices (I got to buy my whole Blade of The Immortal collection when they started selling stuck products for R$1 each! :guts: But it stops at 38 never to come back :judo: Aside from that, they always have promotions on the site, etc)
Oh, I've only read Berserk by that company, so I wouldn't know. Well, at least we have SK.net's translations, which are most likely the best thing if you can't read Japanese.
That's why I'm trying hard learning Japanese now :ganishka: Though I trust SK.net's trans, it's a completely different thing to read in it's original language, specially when there are nuances one can't translate.

They picked a beautiful illustration for this month's cover:

2748.jpg

If you're curious, check out all the covers here, knowing that each Brazilian edition is about half the size of a Japanese volume, around 125 pages long, so there are a lot of publications. We're still in volume 27 despite the latest being the 54th release! :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
If you're curious, check out all the covers here, knowing that each Brazilian edition is about half the size of a Japanese volume, around 125 pages long, so there are a lot of publications. We're still in volume 27 despite the latest being the 54th release! :serpico:

They're just following the Italian model basically. I can't say I approve.

Aazealh said:
They're just following the Italian model basically. I can't say I approve.

Yeah, it's probably because it's the same publisher in Italy (Panini Comics). I don't like it either, but it's very common in Brazil for this to happen. It's rare for a manga series to be published in its original size, especially series that take too long to release new volumes. There's a long list that were dropped when they caught up to the Japanese volume, so I'm happy as long as it's still being released.

Apparently it sells quite well, a few months back there was an event with books, comics and manga being sold for half the price, and Berserk was one of the only series to sell out on the first day.

Top Bottom