Skellig Island

I looked around quite a bit, and I don't see any other posts about this, hopefully I'm not rehashing anything here...

Anyway, I was going to share some interesting things with you guys that I found out about Skellig Island and see if anyone else has noticed this.

This one has most likely been mentioned, but I just started playing The Witcher 3, and noticed there is a location called the Skellige Islands. I wonder if the name was influenced at all by Berserk? I haven't gotten very far into the game and didn't play the first two, but I thought that was interesting.

Also, there's the fact that Skellig Island actually exists in our own world just off the coast of Ireland. I found that to be pretty cool. Looking at pictures, it's just as green and beautiful as you would expect an island near Ireland to be. :isidro:

Lastly, and most entertaining/humorous to me is that Skellig Island was actually visited in the final scene of Star Wars Episode VII. Pretty funny that Miura, a big fan of Star Wars himself, decided to use the name Skellig for the island in his story many years before Episode VII was even filmed! Now how is that for a coincidence?

Once again, I do apologize if all this has been touched on already, but I thought it was interesting enough to mention. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah he most definitely named the fictional island in Berserk after the famous ones off the coast of Ireland. That's about all there is to it though.

Eneshi said:
This one has most likely been mentioned, but I just started playing The Witcher 3, and noticed there is a location called the Skellige Islands. I wonder if the name was influenced at all by Berserk?

No, the "The Witcher" games are based on the book series "The Witcher Saga" written by Andrzej Sapkowski, and Skellige is in there, they didn't invent it for the game. And I think Skellige was mentioned in it before Miura mention Skellig in Berserk. I believe it's a coincidence, they simply had a similar idea for the name.
By the way this saga is really great, and I think whoever likes Berserk should try to read it and should enjoy it.

Thanks for the recommendation then friend. I've been looking to find something to read in between orders of Berserk. I wasn't sure if I should give them a shot or not, but I think I'll check them out. :serpico:

No, the "The Witcher" games are based on the book series "The Witcher Saga" written by Andrzej Sapkowski, and Skellige is in there, they didn't invent it for the game. And I think Skellige was mentioned in it before Miura mention Skellig in Berserk. I believe it's a coincidence, they simply had a similar idea for the name.
By the way this saga is really great, and I think whoever likes Berserk should try to read it and should enjoy it.
I know this is 4 years later, but I am in the middle of the Witcher series right now, on Baptism of Fire. They are really excellent and I also recommend fans of Berserk to check them out. Should have taken your suggestion back in 2016 haha.

Top Bottom