SKnet World News: determined, dependable

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This is a little news tidbit that made me laugh sardonically today. So, the UN finally caught up to making a decision on what to do about North Korea's little fireworks show, unanimously agreeing that NK needs to shut down its ballistics program. Good show, old lads! Too bad you're about a week late on responding to Kim Jong-Il's publicity stunt.

Meanwhile, Israel and Hezbollah, an extremist group with dominance over the Lebanese government, have been going at it all week with aircraft and artillery strikes, destroying Lebanon in the process, all over 2 kidnapped soldiers. I didn't even know Israel had a "no man left behind" policy?

lebanonstrike.gif

Lebanon shares its border with Israel

What an awkward situation for international relations... "Hey guys... cut it out. No, really this time!" I wonder if this will amount to a border skirmish by the end, or escalate into something as long-standing as the wars over Gaza. Either way, we can all rest assured that the UN will make a decision on it in a few months!

EDIT: Wow, within 30 minutes of me posting the thread, Israel re-entered Gaza. So much for their independance... What's next, Putin rebuilding the Berlin Wall?

S

smoke

So much senseless bloodshed. If only we had some kind of a savior to swoop in and unite all these lands under one banner... :griff:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
I didn't even know Israel had a "no man left behind" policy?

Of course they would, their military is based off ours. I bet they even have the same battle drills as the US Army.

Wow, within 30 minutes of me posting the thread, Israel re-entered Gaza

I might be wrong but didn't they start fighting with Gaza after Hamas kidnapped an Israeli cpl?

the straw that broke the camels back... israel is justified... surrounded by enemies constantly threating to wipe that of the face of the earth or drive them into the ocean, they are simply ensuring the survival of their people by quelling those that live to extinguish them...

Walter said:
This is a little news tidbit that made me laugh sardonically today. So, the UN finally caught up to making a decision on what to do about North Korea's little fireworks show, unanimously agreeing that NK needs to shut down its ballistics program. Good show, old lads!  Too bad you're about a week late on responding to Kim Jong-Il's publicity stunt.

Interesting. I don't know much about either situation, although I heard Japan in particular are worried about being a target of North Korea.
Couldn't blame them, being not only close but such an easy target. Nearly 130,000,000 people on a country the size of California, that's like using a Super bannana bomb on a very dense pack of enemy worms. Quite convenient if they ever felt like doing the damage. And there's poor ol South Korea.

Has anything in particular stirred NK up the last few years or have they just decided to take things up a notch?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I might be wrong but didn't they start fighting with Gaza after Hamas kidnapped an Israeli cpl?
Really? Well, you're definitely be a better source than me for info like that. All I know is what I read on BBC and CNN. :serpico: You get first-hand experience.

Psymont 2.0 said:
the straw that broke the camels back... israel is justified... surrounded by enemies constantly threating to wipe that of the face of the earth or drive them into the ocean, they are simply ensuring the survival of their people by quelling those that live to extinguish them...
picard-sigh.jpg

And the ~110 innocents that have died in this battle already, and the five Canadians that were just announced to have been killed in Israeli airstrikes, are their deaths a just cause? I could understand targeting Lebanese government offices, since that's where the Hezbollah are centralized, but Israel's been launching rockets at the capital, and even bombing the means for Lebanese civilians to evacuate; destroying roads, the Lebanese airport and many of its borders. They're seemingly out for blood, not justice.

Another update, US forces have arrived to evacuate US citizens from Lebanon (what were they doing there anyway...? The place has been a warzone for decades). And after Israeli accusations that Iran supplied the Hezbollah with missiles, Iran denied them and warned Israel that if it attacked Syria (which contains Hezbollah supporters), there would be "unimaginable consequences." Great idea, Israel, bring more people into this war...

There's also been a lot of wrestling match-esque namecalling today between the leader of Hezbollah and the Israeli Defense Minister. Both basically said that they still have yet to reveal their full capabilities. No shit. It's common knowledge that these guys have nukes. But will it come to that?

Oh yeah, and "an Israeli foreign ministry spokesman said the country has information that the Lebanese guerrillas who captured the two Israeli soldiers are trying to transfer them to Iran. " Wonderful.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Re: UN demands NK to cool it, meanwhile...

I often wondered, when I was younger, if there were others in the world like myself. I have seen now that there are. They are the leaders of men in nations around the globe. Those who long to see this world end in blood and fire. It is at once gratifying and disenheartening.

I suppose I'll miss seeing the end of Berserk (along with all of my other favorite manga) when NK decides to blow up Japan. As for the current turmoil between Israel and its neighbors, I really wish that part of the earth was barren of all life. Then perhaps there could be peace in the Middle East.

Of course this post is rather narrowminded and egocentric. I agree that it shows no regard for the feelings and ideas of thousands, even millions of people. I don't care. Humanity hasn't learned enough in its 10,000+ years to settle international disputes without bloodshed because each and every one of us still desires revenge on those who have wronged us. How we deal with those desires-to deny them, to indulge them, or to seek out other desires greater than this petty anger-is the determinant. The determinant in whether or not we wipe out all intelligent life as we know it. Sadly, I doubt anyone reading this has any sort of politcal clout, making this whole rant pointless and moot. Just wanted to let people know how I felt before everything goes *BOOM*, y'know?

wally wally wally... 2 soldiers were kidnapped through an underground tunnel running from Gaza which, as you know, was recently handed over in a peace keeping effort... Israel invaded Gaza yet again in the hopes of retreiving these doomed soldiers... Lebanon then fired missles into Israel cities in the middle of the night... justified?

CnC

Ad Oculos
How many innocent people need to die for "justification" to be met? Will the respective religions be satisfied? Will their god (the _same_ fucking god) be appeased once everyone's dead?
Both sides have committed atrocities that are beyond any means of justification. To pick any side and point to their right to kill the other is naive, and arrogant.

Trashcan said:
I often wondered, when I was younger, if there were others in the world like myself. I have seen now that there are. They are the leaders of men in nations around the globe. Those who long to see this world end in blood and fire.

Thats probably one of the most fucked up statements I've heard thus far.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: UN demands NK to cool it, meanwhile...

Trashcan said:
I often wondered, when I was younger, if there were others in the world like myself ...Those who long to see this world end in blood and fire. It is at once gratifying and disenheartening.
At what point in your life did you suddenly become a generic anime villain?

Psymont 2.0 said:
... Gaza ... was recently handed over in a peace keeping effort... Israel invaded Gaza ... justified?
Thanks for the history lesson. But no, that is not justification. Do you really think Israel will relinquish its hold on Gaza after this crisis is averted? To Israel, they were just handed an excuse to nullify the peace treaty they had with Gaza. Hell, Israel will probably erode the borders of Lebanon before this is all over. Shalom!

Also, why is it that the only two people here that are supporting this war write like Charles Dickens' faggy children?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
Interesting. I don't know much about either situation, although I heard Japan in particular are worried about being a target of North Korea.

North Korea's military power is a joke. It's just a small dog barking loudly to intimidate people, mostly because they're being pressured internationally. But there's one thing Japan is afraid of, it's the reunification. Because then Korea would be a formidable rival in the region, maybe ending up dominating them like they did for thousands of years in the past. That's the reason they along with the USA have been doing all they can not to let it happen. After all, if Korea was one again it'd mean the USA would have to stop abusing South Korea economically, politically and militarily (going as far as to steal gold medals during the Olympic games...). A great situation that results in the misery of a country and its people, originally spawned from the decision of two third parties (the USSR and the USA) to divide the country following WWII when the locals were massively opposed to it.

I don't think it'd take much to have NK stop issuing ridiculous threats, but people just don't want to do it because the current state of things benefits them on too many levels.

Walter said:
I could understand targeting Lebanese government offices, since that's where the Hezbollah are centralized, but Israel's been launching rockets at the capital, and even bombing the means for Lebanese civilians to evacuate

You know, it's not like the Hezbollah is terrorizing people in Lebanon though, they're pretty much heroes over there since they liberated South Lebanon in 2000. I just wanted to give out the info since I can never know what's occulted by US news and what isn't. In the same vein, the Hezbollah isn't considered a terrorist organization by the UN, much to Israel's dismay.

CnC said:
Both sides have committed atrocities that are beyond any means of justification. To pick any side and point to their right to kill the other is naive, and arrogant.

Yes, and Israel has nothing going for it this time. They've been riding the wave of the Holocaust too long to try to justify their abuses, and they're lucky the USA have been backing them up thus far. I wonder if they'll threaten to use the bomb if they start getting pressured by the UN. Also, you guys might not know but it's currently generals that are in power in Israel. The current government isn't as familiar with the military as Sharon was, nor has the same authority over it, and so it's a man known for his lack of compassion that's directing the attacks (Ex-Air Force general, the kind that sees the battlefield "from above." Just tiny dots on a map.). He's got a history of ugly incidents like the one taking place now.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
originally spawned from the decision of two third parties (the USSR and the USA) to divide the country during WWII when the locals were massively opposed to it.
Actually, post-WWII. There was a conflict on Korean soil, with pressure from China playing a part. Since Korea was under Japanese control during WWII, the USSR would have had little say in how it was divvyed up until after Japan surrendered.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Trashcan said:
Actually, post-WWII.

Yep, my bad, I wrote "during" when I meant "following" (that'll teach me not to post/edit when sleep deprived). It was really shortly thereafter though, in the immediate aftermath; and there was already talk of it before the end of the war.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Really? Well, you're definitely be a better source than me for info like that. All I know is what I read on BBC and CNN. You get first-hand experience.

Seeing how the only news I get wally is on the internet or on tv for the hour I watch it. I more then likly am wrong, but i do remember there being a Israeli CPl kidnapped in the Gaza Strip.

Operation Summer Rains (Hebrew: מבצע גשמי קיץ, Mivtza Gishmey Kayitz) is the codename for an Israeli military operation in the Gaza Strip that began on June 28, 2006. It is the first major mobilization of Israel Defense Forces into the Gaza Strip since Israel's unilateral disengagement plan was implemented between August and September 2005.

Israel maintains that it mobilized thousands of troops in order to suppress Qassam rocket fire against its civilian population and to secure the release of Corporal Gilad Shalit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Summer_Rains

That's what I was refering too wally.

Aazealh said:
(Ex-Air Force general, the kind that sees the battlefield "from above." Just tiny dots on a map.).

So he's a pough fuck? That's reassuring.

Psymont 2.0 said:
it is nice to have both sides of a story...
It's just a list of names, what's the point? Israel unjustified war on Lebanon already took the lives of more than 300 innocent civilians, where is the list of THEIR names?
Hezbollah isn't Lebanon, there are rules in this world, you know, 'Democracy' and things like that. Acting like Nazis never helped a lot, that's what Israel is doing: you can't create a "security zone" by driving out any life in this area just for your protection, those people may be Arabs, they still are Humans, right? You can't punish, 500.000 innocent people, destroy a country, just because 2 fucking soldiers were abducted.............. That's just crazy........................
We are talking about a country that just survived 15 years of Civil War, almost 15 other years of Syrian occupation, whose Capital, as well as all the main infrastrucures, are being brutally destroyed by a country that is supposed to be a model, the only true democracy in this region...........
It looks more like 'pogrom' than anything else.

You who build these altars now
To sacrifice these children,
You must not do it anymore.
A scheme is not a vision
And you never have been tempted
By a demon or a god.
You who stand above them now,
Your hatchets blunt and bloody,
You were not there before,
When I lay upon a mountain
And my fathers hand was trembling
With the beauty of the word.

(Leonard Cohen - Story Of Isaac)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Another legitimate and informed opinion for this thread:

http://www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/video_disp.asp?videoid=1301

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
"Griffith No More!" said:
Another legitimate and informed opinion for this thread:

http://www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/video_disp.asp?videoid=1301

You can't help but agree with that type of opinion.  By the way, thanks for the link.  I've been meaning to look for more of the Kid's videos.

Top Bottom