SkullKast 129: Berserk Returns

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

SPECIAL: Berserk Returns (20m)

News broke this morning that Berserk will return with Episode 365 on 6/24 under the direction of Miura's lifelong friend and fellow mangaka Kouji Mori. Aazealh and Walter weigh in briefly on this momentous new development and what it means for fans of Berserk from here through the end of the series.

Like the show and want to support our translation efforts? We've got 16 mini-podcasts available right now—with new releases each month. Check out the details on our Patreon!

"[...] What Miura himself would've wanted?"
This is the elephant in the room, or dare I say, the elephant in the forum right now for me. It's something you will never get the answer to, but as the episodes keep coming, would still keep wondering about.

Good discussion, basically covered similar thoughts and concerns I also had about how the series will work going forwards. It will be interesting to see how much less focus/exploration the supporting cast characters will have and which ones will be the least/most affected by it. (like I am reminded of how Miura stated in one or more of his interviews that Kouji Mori would be one of the people he went to for advice and discussion on writing female characters better; presumably more so once the Golden Age arc had ended).

I wanna add something, like what happened in the lost episode, Miura canceled this episode and removed it, so I'm kind of not happy about the new continuation, we just have to wait and see

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
This is the elephant in the room, or dare I say, the elephant in the forum right now for me. It's something you will never get the answer to, but as the episodes keep coming, would still keep wondering about.

I don't think it's some great mystery. Miura always intended to finish Berserk himself, so the matter of what to do in the event of his untimely death probably wasn't something he had seriously considered. I believe he would have been devastated to leave it unfinished, so I can understand Mori's decision to try and bring it home.

To me, the real question for now is the choice of medium. Manga is obviously what's right for Berserk, but can they make it work in the long run without damaging the series' integrity? It's going to be difficult.

I wanna add something, like what happened in the lost episode, Miura canceled this episode and removed it, so I'm kind of not happy about the new continuation, we just have to wait and see

I don't really get your point. You're afraid they will be missing the meticulous care Miura put into each episode, even in the finishing touches? Or the fact he sometimes changed things up to the very last moment, and even after an episode was prepublished?

@Aazealh That's true, and I guess it makes sense given Mori explains that Miura would be upset with him if he didn't do it (I always liked this dynamic of Miura, being a serious author on the inside of his work, but being a kind person on the outside in real life, a charming guy).

As I realized I first posted it in the wrong place, here's my reaction again, sorry.

I appreciate that Blade Runner reference Aazealh :ganishka:
Indeed, a lot is already lost and will be lost. In a certain way I think from now on we can picture it as an asteroid coming down on Earth if it makes any sense. Burning up in the atmosphere and slowly but surely decomposing on its way down, the story losing details, side plots and maybe the development of relationships, with only the core of it remaining in the end. Still, let's hope for a big impact!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wanted to say how much I enjoyed the immediate, smart, insightful perspective of this. One correction though: Aaz quoted the "like tears in rain" line from Blade Runner when "tears like morning dew" was right there! I mean, COME ON!! Sorry, I was yelling in the car. :griffnotevil:

Top Bottom