SkullKast: Episode 102 - Barrier

Great Skullcast Skullcrew! If we get back to back episodes of Berserk and Duranki we might be blessed with several new episodes of the Skullcast! The part at the end about a God Hand coming to Elfhelm (other than Femto) and potentially dying was kinda mind blowing to me.

Casca saving Guts sounds like a nice change of pace, but given how especially with the berserker armor, Guts' abilities are so far above her own, and how even during the golden age he was constantly the one saving her, I don’t think it’s very likely to happen. Maybe Miura will pleasantly surprise me, though.

I’m pretty excited about what Skull knight is going to do in Elfhelm. Maybe this time he’ll finally reveal himself to the rest of the party. I’d also like to see how he’ll interact with Danan. I can honestly totally see her referring to him in the cutesy way you described, and him being totally indifferent to it. Bet he’ll be used to it by now. Also, about what you said about Skull knight telling Guts and Casca that they’re the only ones who can stop Griffith: in this scenario, Would Skull knight consider Casca a “struggler” as well? Or will he just keep calling her “branded girl”? She would kinda fit the criteria, since she’s branded and she’ll be attempting the supposedly impossible task of toppling Griffith, just like Guts.

As for Casca’s new look, I was initially a bit disappointed she didn’t keep it long. The long hair kinda grew on me. But that’s just she prefers it so it’s fine. The outfit looks good, but I also hope she’ll get to wear some more armor over it. Although it already looks like it’s supposed to be armor with those vambraces, so I have some doubts.

And as for the dress, don’t worry Gobolatula. We still have plenty of time until Berserk ends. We might see Casca in a dress again at some point. Maybe in her and Guts’ wedding? :troll:

Her wearing the berserker armor as a one-time thing sounds cool on paper, but I dread to think of the ramifications it would have on her body. In a way, she would be “repaying” Guts for all the damage that his body endured for her sake, so I guess it could work.

And if she ends up fighting any of the big-name apostles, I have a feeling it’ll be Locus.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Ish, Casca against Locus is a bit scary to think of. I mean that guy's lance is freaking terrifying plus he seems to have no visible opening. it's still be nice to Watch thats for sure though. We'll see!

ps: btw Aaz you never commented on whether it was or was not Slann in ep218 (yeah I had nothing to do at work so I've read the entire thread). Now's you chance to edit it. :ganishka::ganishka:

I have a lot of fun to read these old thread. It's just a little bit before I started to know Berserk and it's crazy to see how the episode were more difficult to get your hands on in those times. New readers sure have it easy! I've started around the time Dark Horse was about to release the first 3 volumes so I consider myself Lucky since I did not known sk.net before that!

Last edited:

jackson_hurley

@jackson_hurley She might be able to take him on in his human form. As for his apostle form, yeah, she's going to need help, the berserker armor, or some Joseph Joestar level shenanigans to win.

Either way it would be interesting. I'm just not sure she'd be able to get rid of him by herself. But then again this is why it's cool to see them in a group dynamic. But I'm getting away from the topic now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Would Skull knight consider Casca a “struggler” as well?

I don't really think so. That term was specific to Guts, and it wasn't just about how he survived the Eclipse and chose to fight on, but also every time he had faced death in the past (his birth, etc.). The nature of Casca's survival isn't quite the same.

Ish, Casca against Locus is a bit scary to think of. I mean that guy's lance is freaking terrifying plus he seems to have no visible opening.

With enough downward thrust, that metal noggin would fall away just like the lid on a can of beans.

I have a lot of fun to read these old thread. It's just a little bit before I started to know Berserk and it's crazy to see how the episode were more difficult to get your hands on in those times. New readers sure have it easy!

It's indeed dramatically different now. Normally it went like this: 1-2 people on Japanese forums would write about the leaks. We'd machine translate those and start getting our heads around any major events. Then we'd get the actual leaks, which were low-res, portions of pages, often just a few panels, big stuff only. Then there'd be another wave of discussion. And then the full ep would hit, often a few days to a week after the official magazine release. The timing on all of those things got tighter as the series' popularity grew. And then, YEARS later, Hakusensha got their shit together enough to actually release the official digital edition on the same day as the magazine. So only now, after nearly two decades of the above, are we in a scenario where we can easily and conveniently support an official digital edition.

jackson_hurley

It's indeed dramatically different now. Normally it went like this: 1-2 people on Japanese forums would write about the leaks. We'd machine translate those and start getting our heads around any major events. Then we'd get the actual leaks, which were low-res, portions of pages, often just a few panels, big stuff only. Then there'd be another wave of discussion. And then the full ep would hit, often a few days to a week after the official magazine release. The timing on all of those things got tighter as the series' popularity grew. And then, YEARS later, Hakusensha got their shit together enough to actually release the official digital edition on the same day as the magazine.

Yeah I kind of gotten to hang here in 2005 so I remember the partial leaks and some speculation part. I was definitely not as activ as now (still aint much today).

I'm still not using the digital version but its a great move they did it!

As for Locus, well yeah I guess that could work. Though I'd prefer it to be the dragon slayer that slashes it like with Grunbeld's hammer.

Ish, Casca against Locus is a bit scary to think of. I mean that guy's lance is freaking terrifying plus he seems to have no visible opening. it's still be nice to Watch thats for sure though. We'll see!

ps: btw Aaz you never commented on whether it was or was not Slann in ep218 (yeah I had nothing to do at work so I've read the entire thread). Now's you chance to edit it.

I have a lot of fun to read these old thread. It's just a little bit before I started to know Berserk and it's crazy to see how the episode were more difficult to get your hands on in those times. New readers sure have it easy! I've started around the time Dark Horse was about to release the first 3 volumes so I consider myself Lucky since I did not known sk.net before that!
One thing I was never sure of, is Locus's metallic form fully independent, or does Locus absorb his armour and horse to gain that specific appearance? does he have an naked biped apostle form too?

Last edited:

jackson_hurley

One thing I was never sure of, is Locus's metallic form fully independent, or does Locus absorb his armour and horse to gain that specific form? does he have an naked biped apostle form too?

That a very good question. I remember Ganishka commenting on this ability but its never been precised if he has a biped apostle form. Obviously he has a human biped form but we cant say for his horse so far. (Correct me if I'm wrong please)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I was never sure of, is Locus's metallic form fully independent, or does Locus absorb his armour and horse to gain that specific appearance? does he have an naked biped apostle form too?
It's his apostle form. There's no basis for believing his armor melts and morphs into metallic exoskeleton. As for the horse, who the hell knows, but in any case, Locus appears to be a centaur apostle. Again, there's no basis at all for believing his apostle transformation requires him to be on a horse and fully armored.

It's indeed dramatically different now. Normally it went like this: 1-2 people on Japanese forums would write about the leaks. We'd machine translate those and start getting our heads around any major events. Then we'd get the actual leaks, which were low-res, portions of pages, often just a few panels, big stuff only. Then there'd be another wave of discussion. And then the full ep would hit, often a few days to a week after the official magazine release. The timing on all of those things got tighter as the series' popularity grew. And then, YEARS later, Hakusensha got their shit together enough to actually release the official digital edition on the same day as the magazine. So only now, after nearly two decades of the above, are we in a scenario where we can easily and conveniently support an official digital edition.

From what you are telling us Berserk fans from the West were also strugglers of a sort :badbone:

jackson_hurley

What got me unsure is Ganishka's quote from volume 27 when Locus transforms Ganishka says :"A creature claiming both armor and horse."

The SkullKast always helps me notice little details that i missed when i first read an episode, so thank you guys for that! :ubik:

Now, about the future, i'm almost 100% sure than Skull Knight will talk to Guts in the next episode, but i'm not sure about what they'll talk about. It's been a long time so they have to talk about a bunch of stuff.

First of all about Casca's state, then about the future (as SK always does) and maybe he'll even talk to him about his past. (Gaiseric Flashback anyone?)

I can totally see the next episode focusing only on Skull Knight and Guts judging by all the things they have to talk about but i believe the boy might make an apperance by the end of it. And about the boy, i'm not sure if this HAS to happen by if i remember correctly, the boy goes to his parents when they are in trouble and then leaves when they are done, right?

I'm not saying that someone WILL attack Elfhelm for sure, but who knows :shrug:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Now, about the future, i'm almost 100% sure than Skull Knight will talk to Guts in the next episode, but i'm not sure about what they'll talk about. It's been a long time so they have to talk about a bunch of stuff.

First of all about Casca's state, then about the future (as SK always does) and maybe he'll even talk to him about his past. (Gaiseric Flashback anyone?)

Yeah I'm actually planning to sit out the leaks for this time, given the high probability of some amazing SK revelations. I want to see the full thing, not just a panel or two of "spoilers."

You know, I didn't notice it at the time, but when you guys mentioned Casca's pose lying on the ground, there's something kinda wonky about her spine. Like the way her butt occludes the entire lower half of her back seems impossible without a pretty crazy bend. I'm not an artist but something seems off about that. It's just a nitpick, but now I can't unsee it. Anyone else see that?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You know, I didn't notice it at the time, but when you guys mentioned Casca's pose lying on the ground, there's something kinda wonky about her spine. Like the way her butt occludes the entire lower half of her back seems impossible without a pretty crazy bend. I'm not an artist but something seems off about that. It's just a nitpick, but now I can't unsee it. Anyone else see that?
Doesn't seem strange to me. It's just the perspective.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
You guys had me cracking up in the beginning! "I guess she's just not into Casca... " :ganishka: You had better believe that the next time a mind-blowingly important episode comes out, I'm gonna check my calendar twice!

In any case, it's great to hear you fellas weighing in on this episode. It feels like just yesterday that I was listening to the Casca SkullKast feature in which much speculation was being had about subjects that you're talking about in much surer terms now.

A few notes as I'm listening along:
- The big page of Guts melding into the apostles - The effect on this page was hard to miss. Honestly, It looked a little like Miura was messing with some new Photoshop brushes he found online (listen, we've all been there) because it was so different from everything else he's done since he began transitioning to digital. That said, I do personally like the effect, though when Miura tries new things it's honestly a toss-up for me.
- Casca and the "Black Swordsman Persona" - I was wondering about this too. Obviously, the primary thing driving Casca into a panicked state is the Eclipse, but the thought of her fear of him in her regressed state seeping through to her restored mind is really interesting. I wonder if it'll help if Guts takes his armor off, maybe Danan will be able to help with that? :slan:
- Casca wanting to be with Guts - I love the callback that Gob made to their love scene in volume 9! I agree that this turning point in their relationship, and Casca's role in comforting Guts during a very difficult and vulnerable time (which also involved hallucinations) will be a huge factor in the next few episodes. Also, don't tell anyone, but secretly crossing my fingers for another extended love scene. :casca::guts:

Top Bottom