SkullKast: Episode 102 - Barrier

I hope you guys dont mind the late post on this... but I absolutley loved this episode of the show. I must have listened to it at least 5 times. You guys do so such a wonderful job with the show. I wake up really early every morning before I go to work, to get in some time working on the novel I've been working on and I listen to your show as inspiration while I have breakfast. There is so much going on in each episode of Berserk and nothing gets me more excited to work on my own writing, than by hearing people with such strong insights discuss and analyze great works of fiction.

I know how much work a podcast is, so just wanted to say thanks for putting together such a tremendous show. Really hope you guys continue with your re-read project at some point because those shows are all just phenomenal. Anyway thanks guys and keep up the great work

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I know how much work a podcast is, so just wanted to say thanks for putting together such a tremendous show. Really hope you guys continue with your re-read project at some point because those shows are all just phenomenal. Anyway thanks guys and keep up the great work

Aw, thanks man. We really do love doing the show, so I'm glad you enjoy it as much as you do. As for the work involved, to be perfectly frank, these episode chats are simple to create. Very little planning is required, no scripting, they're powered by the fresh enthusiasm of the group, and the editing is in one big chunk. Those full volume re-reads though, whew... Literal days go into prepping and editing them. :judo:

Maybe I missed this but what are your guys thoughts on this episode starting off the way it did? Last time we saw Guts and Casca they were walking towards eachother right after she had "awoken". I feel robbed of that reunion and seeing what may have happened.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I missed this but what are your guys thoughts on this episode starting off the way it did? Last time we saw Guts and Casca they were walking towards eachother right after she had "awoken". I feel robbed of that reunion and seeing what may have happened.
I addressed it toward the back end of this ep. I didn’t like it at first, but upon examination there’s a reason Miura did it this way. If he showed the first reaction without cutting away, he’d have to repeat it again for the way this episode ends. By chopping out the first reaction, he economically shows both without it seeming redundant.

I addressed it toward the back end of this ep. I didn’t like it at first, but upon examination there’s a reason Miura did it this way. If he showed the first reaction without cutting away, he’d have to repeat it again for the way this episode ends. By chopping out the first reaction, he economically shows both without it seeming redundant.

Ah that makes sense. I was just very excited to see that after waiting for the episode and yes I suppose we did get it at the end.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

The way Miura handled it is exactly what I had expected at the time. He let some time pass so that the situation could be addressed beyond just focusing on Casca's immediate state. And really, what happened at the end of episode 355 is quite clear: she saw Guts and had a panic attack because it triggered her traumatic memories. Furthermore, like Walter said, we see the same thing happen again at the end of episode 359, so nothing's lost. As I've said before, the way I view episode 355 – before the last few pages – is almost as a treat for fans: the awakening, the first words, the memories, the dress, the slow walk towards each other, the clearing with the sun shining through the leaves... It's a brief, precious respite before getting on to the bad stuff.

Top Bottom