Superman: the movie teaser

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
I was exaggerating on purpose, but he does get knocked over by a lot of people in it, and it's not always justified. It's done that way because the story revolves around a group dynamic, but in terms of individual power it lessens him compared to what he does in his solo adventures. It's always either that or he's "busy" for 4/5th of the episode and just comes to save the others at the end anyway.

Well that's not what I felt was coming out of quite a bit of his battles in the series, where he fights without visibly holding back against various villains (minor or major) and doesn't look like he's obviously superior to them and restraining himself but rather like he's struggling (hint: a good occasion for a team member to help). Like I said they just scaled his power/skills down so he wouldn't outmatch everybody else but it doesn't always come off well. What you're describing here is just the general Superman policy (which I agree is cool), it doesn't directly relate to what I'm talking about.

It doesn't just have to be either the kung-fu master level or the "can't block a hit" one though... Superman has super-reflexes and super-speed (haha), if he wants to take a hit from some no-name idiot he should be able to do so without getting rocked back on his feet.

I see your point. And in the context of the show it would have been boring to make him be the be all and end all. Hence why he was away so much, etc. I just think the dynamic of him having to be so extra careful with everything while still having the power of a god was very interesting. The end of the series summarized the character in a way I felt appropriate.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
And in the context of the show it would have been boring to make him be the be all and end all. Hence why he was away so much, etc.

Yeah, they didn't have a lot of choices no matter how you look at it.

CnC said:
I just think the dynamic of him having to be so extra careful with everything while still having the power of a god was very interesting.

Well the comic book has relied on that concept a lot over the years, I think it's a central theme to his character.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
It is something central to his character.  There was an issue, sometime in the last year I think, where he was clearly exhausted and had dozens of villians in front of him.  He pointed out that normally he holds back to not hurt them but hes too tired to muster that control.  Someone calls his "bluff" and gets uppercutted and goes flying, after that everyone backs off. 

What I've really enjoyed is the dynamic in the BatmanSuperman comics.  Seems like they've balanced the two characters perfectly against each other without nerfing superman. 

If they did the heroes justice, they wouldn't have to nerf Supes.  I spose some of the stuff they nerf is cause its inappropriate for the age group (for instance, healing factors require serious injury to matter) or the amount of time they have to do with their episodes.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I've missed you Majin :judo: Please belittle someone like I know you can, bring back that old spark that I liked about you. :casca:
Oh, I'm around. I just find I rarely have anything worth posting to add. As for tearing into people... well, on the fairly rare occasion that I note someone doing something to warrent such a response, I usually find my creativity has been exhausted through other avenues.

FateINwaiting

Berserk must be mine!
Is the new super man movie related to any of the older ones? I just wanna clear it up since in the preview they made it out to be that he just disapperd for a time and now hes back.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
From what I've gathered, no, they're unrelated.

In the old movies, Lois knew who Supes was and I think they might have gotten married (I don't think I've ever watched one of the movies all the way through). From what I've gathered about the previews, Lois hasn't a clue.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
And in the originals, he was actually a man.

Superevil_002.jpg

evil-superman-1.jpg

Drink up, Supes. Before Bryan Singer has you kissing boys.​

In the old movies, Lois knew who Supes was and I think they might have gotten married (I don't think I've ever watched one of the movies all the way through). From what I've gathered about the previews, Lois hasn't a clue.

I believe that Lois found out that Clark was Superman in the second movie. This movie is supposed to take place between part 1 and 2. Since Lois has a kid I'm guessing that part 2 and beyond no longer count.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
dwarfkicker said:
I believe that Lois found out that Clark was Superman in the second movie.  This movie is supposed to take place between part 1 and 2.  Since Lois has a kid I'm guessing that part 2 and beyond no longer count.

Yeah, that all makes great sense. I don't really mind them having it both ways though; it's not like people are going to think of these movies as related beyond the subject matter, anyway. Spacey is looking frighteningly like Hackman in some of shots I've seen, though.

Lois found out that Clark was Superman in Superman II, but then her memory was erased with a 'magical kiss' near the end, IIRC.

And Bryan Singer said that the first 2 movies are a 'vague history'. So what that means in terms of continuity is pretty much just that - vague.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Rythm and Hues (some, if not all the special effects for the movie) released a screen test of the work they did to "bring Brando back from the dead".

.Mov file here

Very interesting work. Its kind of similar to what I was doing with that Guts animation I did a while back.
Just something for the cg geeks in the crowd to chew on.

I really liked the movie. I think Brandon did pretty good.

Can't wait for the sequel. :D I would love to post more but I don't want to risk spoiling the movie.

Winde, not sure what to think of the "cute" pomeranians though...

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Just got back from seeing it and I must say that I enjoyed myself quite a bit. Bring on Superman 2, Mr. Singer! :guts:

Rhombaad said:
Just got back from seeing it and I must say that I enjoyed myself quite a bit.  Bring on Superman 2, Mr. Singer! :guts:

This movie is a sequel to the first two movies of Superman. So um the sequel would be Superman 4??

My expectations were very low when I went in to see this flick, but I must say I left without really any qualms. Spacey was awesome; loved every scene with him. The acting was pretty decent and overall it's just a good watch. A little random that Kumar was in it, but o well.

Well I saw it two days ago, It was long, boring, quite predictable, and it sucked from the second row (my neck still hurts) however Kevin Spacey did a rather good job. Overall = A complete waste of time.

I thought it was "so so."

The best part of the film imo were the special effects of him flying around/saving things.

The storyline was weak, and imo they got the wrong people for Lois and superman, though the acting wasn't "Bad" they just didn't really fit/look the parts imo.

Top Bottom